Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulking up a tad

Options
  • 30-06-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First time poster to this forum.

Background: I am 33, 5'10 and weigh in normally between 11 stone 8 and 11 stone 10. I have a young family so don't have time for gym 3-4 times a week. I eat relatively healthy although I tend to snack in work and at home but this doesn't seem to result in any negative body weight - I run once a week anywhere from 5-10 km which I can do easily enough.

What I want: I'd like to have more weight on my frame and tone up some stomach\chest

Is this possible just by cutting out snacks, improving diet to be strictly followed and continuing with exercise (with some push-ups\sit-ups at home)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If you really weigh that little, you should speak to your doctor. 5 stone 8 would have you at around 11 BMI :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Hi all,

First time poster to this forum.

Background: I am 33, 5'10 and weigh in normally between 5 stone 8 and 5 stone 10. I have a young family so don't have time for gym 3-4 times a week. I eat relatively healthy although I tend to snack in work and at home but this doesn't seem to result in any negative body weight - I run once a week anywhere from 5-10 km which I can do easily enough.

What I want: I'd like to have more weight on my frame and tone up some stomach\chest

Is this possible just by cutting out snacks, improving diet to be strictly followed and continuing with exercise (with some push-ups\sit-ups at home)?

Are you sure you are only 35kg and 178cm? Could you post a typical days food intake?

Anyway this will be a long term project, You can use a calorie calculator like this one to figure out how much you need to be eating. I'm guessing it will give you a figure far in excess of what your eating now.

You can aim to gain 2lbs a fortnight initially. And reassess after a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Oops...mistake! I've corrected above

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

phew..

Anyway you wont really add any mass to your frame without heavy resistance training 3 times a week.. If you increase your calorie intake and just run and do a few pushups you will just gain fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Taking out food will lower mass, adding food will cause you to gain weight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement