Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Just noticed on the hangouts app that I can send messages online and through SMS. When did this change?

I've been using it for Sms for a while. Never used the online version myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Addictive/enraging game (think flappybird, etc) is Don't Get Wet. (It's free)

Good one to pick up for a couple minutes at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Devious Dungeon is Amazon's free app of the day. Great little game.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M9JVA3G/ref=mas_fad_img

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

steve_r wrote: »
    I've been using it for Sms for a while. Never used the online version myself

Well, you could always use SMS in the app just not the online version like WhatsApp. Only seems to work with some contacts so maybe just contacts that use hangouts.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

Well, you could always use SMS in the app just not the online version like WhatsApp. Only seems to work with some contacts so maybe just contacts that use hangouts.

How do you send an SMS from the desktop version of Hangouts? I can only IM from desktop version

• Advertisement

G1032 wrote: »
    How do you send an SMS from the desktop version of Hangouts? I can only IM from desktop version

Sorry I was talking about Android app, not sure about the desktop version. Aye was surprised to see I could send messages without credit. Only to some contacts though (mostly people I make video calls to also)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

Sorry I was talking about Android app, not sure about the desktop version. Aye was surprised to see I could send messages without credit. Only to some contacts though (mostly people I make video calls to also)

I see what you mean now. It's like that for ages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

That is the actual original purpose of Hangouts, it is a direct replacement/renaming of Google's previous IM service Google Talk.

The extra SMS functionality feature of the android app was only added in later in an update.

That is the actual original purpose of Hangouts, it is a direct replacement/renaming of Google's previous IM service Google Talk.

The extra SMS functionality feature of the android app was only added in later in an update.
    Was that not just with hangouts on google +?
    I thought the hangouts app was originally sms only and that IM messages never appeared in the app.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Was that not just with hangouts on google +?
    I thought the hangouts app was originally sms only and that IM messages never appeared in the app.

No, it was only added in with v2.0, around this time last year - http://www.androidcentral.com/hangouts-20-now-rolling-out-sms-support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

80 Days is out for Android after its initial release on iOS.
    One of the best games of the year, very highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

ongarite wrote: »
    80 Days is out for Android after its initial release on iOS.
    One of the best games of the year, very highly recommended.

watched the video, I still have no idea what the game is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

nedd wrote: »
    watched the video, I still have no idea what the game is about.

80 days around the world set in a steampunk setting.
    Its an RPG lite style strategy game where you play Passepartout helping Phileas Fogg circumnavigate the globe using various routes open to you.
    You buy and trade items, discover new routes and modes of travel based on your dialogue options and answers..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Days_(2014_video_game)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

Anyone know of any good tower defense games? Haven't lost hours to one in over a year. Feeling the itch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Newhand wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good tower defense games? Haven't lost hours to one in over a year. Feeling the itch again.

Kingdom rush and tower madness are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'll second kingdom rush

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Ste- wrote: »

I'm replaying that on the DS atm. It's a fantastic game. I'd be concerned about touch controls though but I think anyone with a controller should go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Mr E wrote: »
    A brilliant game called RGB Express has finally pulled me away from Desert Golfing. You can play most of it for free, but it's worth paying the IAP to remove the ads and add 80 extra levels.

Great little game.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

Blacktie. wrote: »

Will look into those and give a report back. Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great little game.

Yeah it's a cracker. I'm up to level 118 (at the end of the 3rd island) and I'm not even half way through the game... (just over 160 levels left) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yeah it's a cracker. I'm up to level 118 (at the end of the 3rd island) and I'm not even half way through the game... (just over 160 levels left) :)

It's got charm just wish the level design was better.

Chinatown town wars a brilliant game for DS. Drug dealing was fiendishly addictive. As was disabling cop cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Jeez.

Won't embarrass myself telling you where I'm stuck so. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A quick reminder, a lot of apps take a discount over the Christmas season.

Worth keeping your eye on: www.app-sales.net

There's a lot of prices moving south.

Square Enix are worth mentioning, if those games are your thing.

Google Play Store: SQUARE ENIX Co.,Ltd.

GTA: Chinatown Wars is €2.69 at the moment: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockstargames.gtactw&hl=en

---

Essential Anatomy 3 is €9.99 at the moment: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.the3d4medical.EssentialAnatomy&hl=en

You'll need a beefy phone/tablet to run it, but it looks gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Zombienosh wrote: »
    I'll second kingdom rush
    Will look into those and give a report back. Many thanks.
    Kingdom Rush, Kingdom Rush: Frontiers and Kingdom Rush: Origins, brilliant games, probably my favourite Android games tbh.

Sleep_Attack_TD.png

Sleep Attack TD Ayopa Games

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ayopagames.sleepattack&hl=en

---

Interesting take on the genre and very vibrant graphics. Overlooked somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭corkie

Rayman Jungle Run --- Only 10 cent at present!

Works on the Nexus 9!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Machinarium_Android.png

Machinarium Amanita Design

€0.97

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.net.machinarium.Machinarium.GP&hl=en

---

Under a euro, you really can't be fussy, at that price.

Unique and brain bending. The audio (Tomáš Dvořák) and artwork detail really put you into a special place, in your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭corkie

Thanks for mentioning Machinarium.

The Room Two is also on offer!

List of other apps here

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm back playing threes again. I scored 23,274 and got a 768 on the board too. delighted with myself!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement