Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst place in Ireland......

• 31-08-2007 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

My name is Michael Cody, im from Dublin, ive just spent a few years in derry it has to be the worst place in ireland because:
    1. The people have the most annoying whinging accent ive ever heard.
    2. The place is looks like its falling down.
    3 There are no decent single women in the place, they are all pregnant by the age of 18 and drawing dole.
    3. The place is extremely zenophobic and narrow minded.
    4. There are no decent bar/clubs.
    5. The place has to be the most divided and sectarian city in Ireland.
    6. The place is full of scumbags.

I could go on and on, but I did meet some good people there, mostly from ther loyalist/ protestant side of the city. Before I went up there I like many from the south rhought that I united Ireland was a good idea now im completely against it, im now of the opinion as kevin myers wrote in the irish Times that a team of JCBS should work 24 hours around the clock and dig a trench aroud the North and let the North float into the atlantic sea!
    I think that Derry people in general lack confidence about their city and have chip on their shoulder about where they are from.
    Anyway rant over anybody got any other similar experiences?

Comments

My name is Michael Cody, im from Dublin, ive just spent a few years in derry it has to be the worst place in ireland because:
    1. The people have the most annoying whinging accent ive ever heard.
    2. The place is looks like its falling down.
    3 There are no decent single women in the place, they are all pregnant by the age of 18 and drawing dole.
    3. The place is extremely zenophobic and narrow minded.
    4. There are no decent bar/clubs.
    5. The place has to be the most divided and sectarian city in Ireland.
    6. The place is full of scumbags.

I could go on and on, but I did meet some good people there, mostly from ther loyalist/ protestant side of the city. Before I went up there I like many from the south rhought that I united Ireland was a good idea now im completely against it, im now of the opinion as kevin myers wrote in the irish Times that a team of JCBS should work 24 hours around the clock and dig a trench aroud the North and let the North float into the atlantic sea!
    I think that Derry people in general lack confidence about their city and have chip on their shoulder about where they are from.
    Anyway rant over anybody got any other similar experiences?

Living in a place that has been affected by 40 years of the troubles(including the after effects) is bound to affect someones chareater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Clearly you've never been to Dunmanway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cork.

That is all.

Bandon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

After Hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yer ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Des' flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote:
    Des' flat.
    Because YOUR MA is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thought the spelling way YORE?

Not to mention, you are wrong, my ma has better taste than to shack up in Dublin. Much less Des' flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

If you hated it so much why did you stay for a couple of years???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think the Derry accent is cute on a girl and I found everyone in Derry to be very cool.

Worst place in Ireland for me is Dublin. Too busy, polluted.. Can't stand the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Derry is not in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Slow coach wrote:
    Derry is not in Ireland.
    Kilkenny is little poland now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

for me its Ballaghderren, bad pubs, shops etc; i won't go any further because i might piss people off :p To make matters worse THEY THINK THEY ARE IN MAYO WHEN IN FACT THEY ARE CLEARLY WITHIN THE ROSCOMMON BORDER :mad: And all the fine footballers past and present we (Roscommon) have lost to Mayo because Ballaghderren players are forced to play for Mayo.

OP i have been to Derry a number of times (my aunt lives near Altnagelvin) and I have to say i disagree with you on most of them points because you could insert the name of any Irish town into your list there; even Galway which i consider the best town in Ireland could tick the boxes of points 1,2,3 and 6, definitely not 4 and 5 though

Slow coach wrote:
    Derry is not in Ireland.

The same way Dublin is in France?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Anywhere in the 6 Counties sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Slow coach wrote:
    Derry is not in Ireland.

in Wales is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ambasite wrote:
    in Wales is it?
    i would have said county famine.

dlofnep wrote:
    The same way Dublin is in France?

Whatever. :confused:

Slow coach wrote:
    Whatever. :confused:

As a mod for maths, I figured you'd have some basic logic.. But you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Slow coach wrote:
    Derry is not in Ireland.
    Well it's 'on' Ireland at any rate.

Two things Derry has got going for it that I have noticed.

* Municipal wireless internet within the walled city.

* A large manga and anime convention each year.

Me...? I just plain can't stand Clifden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Amy Elliott

Kilkishen , Co. Clare , Hellhole full of rednecks and drunksand GAA loving Hicks , no reedeming Qualities whatsoever and I'm stuck there for the rest of my life! aaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh
    And there's no ATM

Kilkishen , Co. Clare , Hellhole full of rednecks and drunksand GAA loving Hicks , no reedeming Qualities whatsoever and I'm stuck there for the rest of my life! aaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh
    And there's no ATM
    No 'ass to mouth'?

That's a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Tralee!! oh how i hate Tralee Co.Kerry, The Thorn of Tralee, ugly cows! drove my brother through that kip once, i had to spray anti-freeze in his eyes to protect him from the horrible imagery!

dlofnep wrote:
    As a mod for maths, I figured you'd have some basic logic.. But you don't.

I'm completely lost now.

Derry is in the UK.

Ireland is not part of the UK.

Ergo Derry is not in Ireland.

Logical enough for ya?

Derry is ON Ireland, but not IN Ireland.

What has France got to do with it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Edgeworthstown..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Slow coach wrote:
    I'm completely lost now.

Derry is in the UK.

Ireland is not part of the UK.

Ergo Derry is not in Ireland.

Logical enough for ya?

Derry is ON Ireland, but not IN Ireland.

What has France got to do with it?

The UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    Derry fits into the last bit which is in Ireland.
    back to school with ye !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

....is goldenmavericks gaff!

Pal wrote:
    The UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    Derry fits into the last bit which is in Ireland.
    back to school with ye !

No. Northern Ireland is not in Ireland. At least I picked that much up in school. What currency do you spend, what flag is flown, do they have Gardaí on the streets?

• Advertisement

Derry is in Ireland Slow Coach - keep your Paisleyism to yourself. This isn't the first thread where you've swoggled your anti-free-irish sentiments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Derry is in Northern Ireland not Ireland.
    The sooner people come around to accept historical FACTS, the sooner we can all relax and eventually sort out this whole issue.

But I do love stirring the proverbial sh*t, so one word: Londonderry :)

^ Tell that to the nationalist majoritive of Derry ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

dlofnep wrote:
    ^ Tell that to the nationalist majoritive of Derry ^

Do you have their address?

The nationalist majoritive,
    Londonderry,
    Uk
    :)

Accept the facts!!! If you want to change things, thats great, work away. But you've got to know where you're coming from to know how to get somewhere else (if that makes sense)

I think you'll find the name is Derry. Just visit it for yourself and speak to any person there. I'm sure you can work out the ratio pretty quickly

dlofnep wrote:
    Derry is in Ireland Slow Coach - keep your Paisleyism to yourself. This isn't the first thread where you've swoggled your anti-free-irish sentiments.

You don't know the first thing about me. So STFU.

I served 26 years in this (Free) state's defence forces, so I am, by definition, a free stater.

The "Free State" is 26 counties, of which Derry is not one. So Derry is not in Ireland.

You still haven't said what France has to do with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My mate from Derry says EVERYONE calls it "Derry", including unionists. The only time unionists call it "Londonderry" is when they want to piss off nationalists.

On topic: Mitchelstown, County Cork. A boil on the landscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I hate Celbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I hate Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Derry is in Ireland, it is not in the Republic of Ireland but it is in Ireland. There is no political entity known as Ireland. Ireland is the island, not just the 26 counties. Hell not too long ago I heard Ian Paisley admit that he was Irish.

The worst place in Ireland is Portarlington, depressing place.

Dudess wrote:
    On topic: Mitchelstown, County Cork. A boil on the landscape.
    But what about the cheese? Did you stop for one minute and think of the thriving cheese industry of Mitchelstown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Page 3, over 40 posts and nobody has said Limerick yet.

I'm not saying it's the worst by any means (in fact it's one of the best) but still, it usually gets picked on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Amy Elliott

No 'ass to mouth'?

That's a disgrace!

That's correct and there's no Automatic Teller Machine in the side of a wall to get money out of either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Limerick city. Nuff said.

Isn't it great, a discussion about the worst town in (the island of)Ireland turns into an argument about Norm Iron! :rolleyes:

No wonder things never get done! :rolleyes:

Moate (traffic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is anywhere worse than Dalkey?

People are either rough arse council house dwellers who think, because they live in Dalkey, they are posh. Or posh people who know they are posh and treat everyone like dirt.

Nice chipper though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Mullingar
    The town has grown so much but nothing at all to do in the town. All the shops are closing down and you have to go to Athlone or Tullamore to go shopping for clothes, electrical items etc. To get a decent job you must commute. Nothing to do at the weekends only drink. The town has gotten so rough at night aswell.

On the other hand, moved to Cork a few months ago and I love it. People are extra nice and friendly, just realised how rude people are in Mullingar. Great jobs, shops and lots of things to do other than drink every weekend.

Cork rocks!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

On the other hand, moved to Cork a few months ago and I love it. People are extra nice and friendly, just realised how rude people are in Mullingar. Great jobs, shops and lots of things to do other than drink every weekend.

Cork rocks!!!!

Shhhhhhh!!!! You're not allowed to say that, you'll upset too many people ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Newbridge in Kildare. I've never once liked that place. There's not much too it and it's not very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cork rocks!!!!
    Beans, I think you have a bright future ahead of you in our fair city by the Lee! Now, for God's sake will you change your location to the glorious People's Republic!
    But what about the cheese? Did you stop for one minute and think of the thriving cheese industry of Mitchelstown?
    Golden Vale or no Golden Vale, tis a sh*t heap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement