Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time job!

Options
  • 27-07-2009 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

If all goes well, I'll be in UCC this sept. and I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me an idea of my chances of getting a few hours work here and there during the week? Like, cafes or anything on campus, or near campus? I'm hoping with my Arts hours I'll be able to sqeeze some part time work in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Casper89 wrote: »
    If all goes well, I'll be in UCC this sept. and I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me an idea of my chances of getting a few hours work here and there during the week? Like, cafes or anything on campus, or near campus? I'm hoping with my Arts hours I'll be able to sqeeze some part time work in!

Very unlikely you will get a job on campus as people are being let go by the university as a result of costcutting measures. Your best bet is to chance your arm handing out a shedload of cv's and pray for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

The Green Kiwi is a very busy cafe across the road from the UCC campus. They'll be looking for people from September onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

I recommend sending CV's to the banks (every september all 3 banks take on a load of students to sign student up to new accounts), its a grand job but only lasts a few weeks, also nightclubs are always lookin for staff to do flyering and become bar staff for club nights, theres plenty of work there too so dont give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

samf wrote: »
    all 3 banks take on a load of students to sign student up to new accounts, its a grand job but only lasts a few weeks, also nightclubs are always lookin for staff to do flyering

i hate those people, i know its their job but i still hate them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Flyer Person: "Would you like to sign up for a student account with our bank"

Me: "Yes i would like a lollypop":p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Steviewonder

samf wrote: »
    I recommend sending CV's to the banks (every september all 3 banks take on a load of students to sign student up to new accounts), its a grand job but only lasts a few weeks, also nightclubs are always lookin for staff to do flyering and become bar staff for club nights, theres plenty of work there too so dont give up!

Have you done the bank work before mate? if so,wats it like?
    boring id say!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Nope never done it before but if i was unemployed and had nothin else to do in september i'd do it no bother. Though i always feel bad for them when its pissing rain and theyre standing there lookin so bored.

Flyer Person: "Would you like to sign up for a student account with our bank"

Me: "Yes i would like a lollypop":p

O so so true:D BTW anyone notice the people handing out the flyers for the clubs are generally hot girls, now i'm not saying they aint equal opportunity employers but......................!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shell022

i'm hoping to get somethign in a bar or club. i work in a bar now (behind it). Can anyone give me names of places that are any good or recommend. preferably i'd want a bar so i can get home a bit earlier than if i was working in a club. but i won't be fussy!!

shell022 wrote: »
    i'm hoping to get somethign in a bar or club. i work in a bar now (behind it). Can anyone give me names of places that are any good or recommend. preferably i'd want a bar so i can get home a bit earlier than if i was working in a club. but i won't be fussy!!

The Brog always seem to be looking for bar staff at start of term. Any of the clubs would be a good bet.

Jobs will mainly be in Late Bars and Clubs tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Casper89

thanks for the replies everyone! sounds like it won't be entirely impossible! think I'll try the Kiwi place first, I'd prefer a few hours during the day when I'm not in lectures as opposed to late night work personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

shell022 wrote: »

Theres a load of places that are likely to be looking for staff for the college year... Havannas/Rafterz, Classic, Fast Eddies, Gorbies, Cubins,Bróg etc etc.

The clubs will be looking for flyering staff and club staff for the week-nights I'm pretty sure, normally the best time to go looking is about 2 weeks before college starts back.

can anyone suggest any other cafés near campus besides the green kiwi? i should probably send as many cv's to different places as possible!

can anyone suggest any other cafés near campus besides the green kiwi? i should probably send as many cv's to different places as possible!

You havn't a hope if you're just sending CVs, you need to go down in Early September and actually go into these places and speak to managers

I suppose you're right! Orientation is supposed to be second week of September so I could scout out the place then I guess?
    Would ringing them up now be premature?

I suppose you're right! Orientation is supposed to be second week of September so I could scout out the place then I guess?
    Would ringing them up now be premature?

No!!

Right!!! Thank you!:D

Ugh, having problems getting threw to that number listed for The Green Kiwi!

Oh, I was wondering about bookstores as well?! Always liked the idea of working in a bookstore!:pac:
    Is anyone familiar with ones near enough campus that would be hiring at all??

Ugh, having problems getting threw to that number listed for The Green Kiwi!

Oh, I was wondering about bookstores as well?! Always liked the idea of working in a bookstore!:pac:
    Is anyone familiar with ones near enough campus that would be hiring at all??

The City has piles of 'em, you're not going to get anything by being picky.

you're not going to get anything by being picky.

Oh, I know! I just see no harm in getting a list of bookstores to find out if they'll be hiring while checking up on the cafes and whatnot! I'm really just widening my prospects by including bookstores in my search!:P Honestly, I'll be glad of finding anything.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

021 4545946 - Number for the Kiwi, used to work there, staff are lovely but its very badly run. recently got new owners and they will defo be looking for staff soon

Thats quality!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Earth Dweller

is it sad that that's the coolest thing ive seen all week?!?! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

About the asking to talk to the managers, it may be good in some places but I know where I work, if someone did that, they would get their head bitten off. But I suppose it depends on the shop

Cows Go µ wrote: »

Dude that is a ****ing quality Username:)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Thanks!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Jobs are gonna be really scarce this year. I suggest to any job hunters to go around the city now and take whatever you can get.

Get you foot in the door now to be safe of keeping the work for the year.

I have an interview in september for a highly contested job on campus. I'm banking on getting that, if i don't, who knows.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

x43r0 wrote: »
    I have an interview in september for a highly contested job on campus. I'm banking on getting that, if i don't, who knows.....

You're trying to get the janitor job for the North Wing Toilets aren't you?:pac: Everyone wants it!!

OP if you're a hot female than you will easily secure a job flyering fora nightclub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jjam2116

x43r0 wrote: »
    Jobs are gonna be really scarce this year. I suggest to any job hunters to go around the city now and take whatever you can get.

Get you foot in the door now to be safe of keeping the work for the year.

I'm going for that job as well... how many people are going for it?

Advertisement