Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Absolutely do not get the Gatwick Express unless you're in a serious hurry. Much cheaper to go via London Bridge.

Agreed 100%.

On a related note, for the benefit of others, the only train servicing Stansted is the Standsted 'express' so unfortunately there are no other train options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Sangre wrote: »
    Agreed 100%.

On a related note, for the benefit of others, the only train servicing Stansted is the Standsted 'express' so unfortunately there are no other train options there.

Is there a bus option?

I have all day on Monday after Romania to get to Stansted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Is there a bus option?

I have all day on Monday after Romania to get to Stansted

National Express do a bus service from the city to Stansted £12 one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

National Express do a bus service from the city to Stansted £12 one way.

Ideal, Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Flying into Bristol for the France game on Saturday 10th

Looking to get a National Express coach to Cardiff for the pair of us.

FYI, you seem to need to book a specific time for National Express, if you miss that bus your ticket is no good.

Does anyone know if it's crazy trying to connect to a 10:30 bus when the flight is due in at 10:10? I know we're goosed if the flight is delayed, but if not is it workable?

It's just that later buses take longer, and we would need to wait around the airport. Losing valuable drinking time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

From experience, I've rocked up to National Express bus drivers for the bus before the one I've booked on (on Stansted runs) and not had a problem getting on, provided there's space. What time is the next one after 10.30, as I'd book on it - then if you're at the bus stop at 10.25 and have a word with the driver of the 10.30 he'll probably take you.

From experience, I've rocked up to National Express bus drivers for the bus before the one I've booked on (on Stansted runs) and not had a problem getting on, provided there's space. What time is the next one after 10.30, as I'd book on it - then if you're at the bus stop at 10.25 and have a word with the driver of the 10.30 he'll probably take you.

Nice one. The next one is at 11, but takes an hour longer, would prefer to get on the 10:30! Will try your approach, thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is it from the airport or from the bus station in Bristol? If the latter you'd struggle to make the 10:30 one I'd imagine, If it leaves from the airport and you don't have luggage to collect it's at least possible.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Is it from the airport or from the bus station in Bristol? If the latter you'd struggle to make the 10:30 one I'd imagine, If it leaves from the airport and you don't have luggage to collect it's at least possible.

Yep, it's from the airport. Small enough airport, so should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

0lordy wrote: »
    Nice one. The next one is at 11, but takes an hour longer, would prefer to get on the 10:30! Will try your approach, thanks.

This seemed strange, so had to investigate. Looks as if the slow ones just drop you at Bristol Coach station, you stand around for 35 minutes and then get on a different bus to Cardiff. Definitely one to avoid if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

This seemed strange, so had to investigate. Looks as if the slow ones just drop you at Bristol Coach station, you stand around for 35 minutes and then get on a different bus to Cardiff. Definitely one to avoid if possible.

Or perfect time to nip off for a pint??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

I have to go to London for a thing on the 25th and 26th of next month, so I've extended my stay and have just ordered a ticket for Ireland v Romania.

Does anyone have rough idea where the after-match craic is likely to be? London is pretty huge, and even with the RWC in full flow it probably won't be noticable in most parts of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

For those going to the Italy game and haven't booked flights, Aer Lingus just opened a flight (or at least one I hadn't seen before). You can now fly out of London Gatwick at 23:05 on the Sunday night getting back in to Dublin at 00:25.

I had been slightly nervous about making it back that night - latest flight had been 22:05 ex Stanstead - so the extra hour is very handy. More importantly, I got return flights for €78 just there. Not bad at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

0lordy wrote: »
    Yep, it's from the airport. Small enough airport, so should be OK.

Check what other flights are coming in at that time, it can be write busy sometimes, I've spent 30 minutes waiting to show my passport there this summer and that's in the electronic passport queue. Other times through in 15mins from plane to carpark.

as i type CAT C available for Italy match
    Edit: Only as singles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

France tickets up!

I'd say they were gone about 3 minutes after I posted.
    Hope one of you guys got 'em.

Definite trend now on the ticket website, tickets being released in much more rapid succession than before, but in very small quantities; so I assume they are all returns. (And that there are no more block-releases to come)
    For instance I haven't seen a CAT D ticket for either the France or Italy game for about a week now. (And I'm obsessively on this...although my search has finally drawn to its conclusion with me finally getting a CAT D for the bronze final yesterday.)

Up to now, they would only release returned tickets every 2 days (with no pattern to what time of day they were doing so), whereas now they could release tickets twice in one day (as they did yesterday).

CAT C tickets for France game snapped up very fast this morning.
    My thinking is anyone holding out for a CAT D ticket for any game from now on will see their chances dwindling by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flogan

Just snapped up 2 Cat D's for each of the Cardiff QF's. Tickets seem to go up most days now in the morning, between 0830-0930 and in the afternoon about 5pm. Hope everyone gets what they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

For the France match, I assume the 8.10 flight back to Dublin on the Sunday evening is really, really pushing it?

I have to go to London for a thing on the 25th and 26th of next month, so I've extended my stay and have just ordered a ticket for Ireland v Romania.

Does anyone have rough idea where the after-match craic is likely to be? London is pretty huge, and even with the RWC in full flow it probably won't be noticable in most parts of town.

I'm sure there'll be information closer to the time, but around Kilburn is usually popular pre-match on Wembley days - only a few stops on the Jubilee and large Irish community - maybe aim for there at the moment.

Other than that, I imagine the usual popular Irish spots - O'Neills, Waxy's and Porterhouse in town, Sheephaven in Camden, Auld Shillelagh in Stoke Newington and the Alex in Clapham - will be popular.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

have most recieved their tickets? still waiting for ire can

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

kuang1 wrote: »
    Definite trend now on the ticket website, tickets being released in much more rapid succession than before, but in very small quantities; so I assume they are all returns. (And that there are no more block-releases to come)
    For instance I haven't seen a CAT D ticket for either the France or Italy game for about a week now. (And I'm obsessively on this...although my search has finally drawn to its conclusion with me finally getting a CAT D for the bronze final yesterday.)

Up to now, they would only release returned tickets every 2 days (with no pattern to what time of day they were doing so), whereas now they could release tickets twice in one day (as they did yesterday).

CAT C tickets for France game snapped up very fast this morning.
    My thinking is anyone holding out for a CAT D ticket for any game from now on will see their chances dwindling by the day.

Agree fully with that - one of those Italy Cat C tickets was mine and I only listed it yesterday morning after I picked up a Cat D. I've resold a good few tickets as I've picked up cheaper ones and they generally took at least 3-4 days to go on sale (despite their 72 hour promise). I suppose they're also at the point now of needing to send out the tickets purchased more recently - I've only received my ballot tickets so far.

shanagarry wrote: »
    Agree fully with that - one of those Italy Cat C tickets was mine and I only listed it yesterday morning after I picked up a Cat D. I've resold a good few tickets as I've picked up cheaper ones and they generally took at least 3-4 days to go on sale (despite their 72 hour promise). I suppose they're also at the point now of needing to send out the tickets purchased more recently - I've only received my ballot tickets so far.

In addition to that I'm of the theory that if you have tickets up for resale, then you're at the back end of the queue when it comes to them posting out tickets.
    I haven't received a single ticket yet. Got none via the original ballot. Have been buying and selling back since November.
    Currently have only 1 ticket up for resale, & I don't think it'll sell for another while yet as it's a CAT B for our Sunday QF. (If it resells at all!)

But excluding that 1, I have bought 16 other tickets. The majority of those I bought individually...that's a lot of £15 transaction fees.

I try not to dwell on it. (And fail mostly.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

It's not even that much faster to get it these days - the fastest Southern (non-Gatwick Express) trains get to Victoria in 37-40 minutes, and it's often more convenient depending on your onward connections to get the Thameslink train to St Pancras or London Bridge anyway.
    Absolutely clueless about London as it's my first visit when we travel for the Italy game, what would you suggest so if not the Express to Gatwick? We're staying near tower of London, thanks.

Absolutely clueless about London as it's my first visit when we travel for the Italy game, what would you suggest so if not the Express to Gatwick? We're staying near tower of London, thanks.

Get the Thameslink train towards London Bridge or Bedford and get off at London Bridge or Blackfriars. London Bridge is a 10-minute walk to Tower of London, while Blackfriars is 10 minutes on the District Line from Tower Hill.

Check out http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/ to work out the route and buy tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Still no tickets for me. Getting emails about matches in Cardiff, but DHL havent turned up yet. (tickets for 2 QFs that I'm waiting on)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

kuang1 wrote: »
    In addition to that I'm of the theory that if you have tickets up for resale, then you're at the back end of the queue when it comes to them posting out tickets.
    I haven't received a single ticket yet. Got none via the original ballot. Have been buying and selling back since November.
    Currently have only 1 ticket up for resale, & I don't think it'll sell for another while yet as it's a CAT B for our Sunday QF. (If it resells at all!)

But excluding that 1, I have bought 16 other tickets. The majority of those I bought individually...that's a lot of £15 transaction fees.

I try not to dwell on it. (And fail mostly.)

Good point. I've none for resale atm but have been trading fairly frequently over the last few weeks. Thankfully I'm in the UK so only costing me £5 each time. Still grates a bit though, but have been up min £30 net on each transaction, so worth it. I'm mostly sorted now, can cope with Cs for France and single Ds for Italy, but would like something significantly cheaper than the Semi Bs at £315 a pop!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

have most recieved their tickets? still waiting for ire can

I'm still waiting on mine for the Canada match as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

I'm sure there'll be information closer to the time, but around Kilburn is usually popular pre-match on Wembley days - only a few stops on the Jubilee and large Irish community - maybe aim for there at the moment.

Other than that, I imagine the usual popular Irish spots - O'Neills, Waxy's and Porterhouse in town, Sheephaven in Camden, Auld Shillelagh in Stoke Newington and the Alex in Clapham - will be popular.

Also, if you're flying in on the Saturday, there's a large crowd of us heading to The Porterhouse in Covent Garden for the England v Wales game. I'd imagine a lot of folk will have the same idea. It's huge with good screens and decent beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 wexfordgal15

Hi, am travelling to London for the Romania match and was looking for a bit of advice as to what area to stay in, have never been to London and we are going over the 26th and not coming back till 29th so plan is to do a few tourist sightseeing as well....was wondering if we would be better staying somewhere between wembley and central london but haven't a notion about the areas.....appreciate any advice, thanks...

Advertisement