Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science TR071

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Aoiferz wrote: »
    Is anybody going in? :p

Couldn't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Couldn't. ;)
    Same here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Couldn't. ;)
    Same here ;)

You missed some brillant snow fights! People were out to kill, knocked over my snowman for no reason : (

You missed some brillant snow fights! People were out to kill, knocked over my snowman for no reason : (

I get violent when people throw things at me

There's no excuse for knocking over someones snowman :(

I get violent when people throw things at me

There's no excuse for knocking over someones snowman :(

That tends to happen alright!

It was pretty uncalled for, I'll just have to make another one! They didn't completely win though, I dodged all of their snowballs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Dubs wrote: »
    Just send Noelle an email and you should be alright. Loads of people have been saying the same thing.

Anyone know what Noelle's reply was about the lab reports, I was meant to hand mine in on monday but haven't been able to get into college since. Would you say it'd be ok if I just handed it in on the day of my lab and explained the circumstances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Anyone know what Noelle's reply was about the lab reports, I was meant to hand mine in on monday but haven't been able to get into college since. Would you say it'd be ok if I just handed it in on the day of my lab and explained the circumstances?

Just send Noelle an email to be safe. She'll get back to you within minutes (office hours of course). I'm third year Chem and they're relatively understanding about these things even at this level.

So absolutely no teaching on tomorrow means no JF Physics labs, right? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Missed a lab yesterday, who do I have to get the sicknote to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

Can anyone explain to me how to calculate the P:O ratio in the metabolism expt? I've looked at so many books and so many online articles and each one explains it bar one aor two points essential for getting the ratio.

Its driving me f****** nuts.

Help much appreciated.

• Advertisement

I can't help I'm afraid, haven't a clue. And having to hand them in Tuesday morning is annoying when yer not usually in on Tuesday. :mad:

Well I don't know if I got it right, but you can find online that it should be around 1.5 for the first one. I ended up getting 1.3 (close enough imo) by doing this:
    http://www.bmb.leeds.ac.uk/illingworth/oxphos/oxygraph.htm
    Except without multiplying by 2 in the line "oxygen atoms consumed in state 3".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

6th year here, thinking of putting down this course. Just hoping you guys could answer a couple of my questions :o

I'm undecided about doing Physics or Biology, I like them both so I want to keep my options open for now. Both Physics and Astrophysics or Physiology interest me right now.
    I think I understand the whole module thing. I was thinking of doing 20 maths, 20 physics and 20 biology for the first year which the prospectus says can lead to doing either of the courses I want to. Does that sound about right? But then this link http://www.science.tcd.ie/undergraduate/jf/ says that maths + physics + biology doesn't lead to Physiology.
    I'm really confused with the whole thing now and I'd like a little help from people who know what this is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Aoifums wrote: »
    6th year here, thinking of putting down this course. Just hoping you guys could answer a couple of my questions :o

I'm undecided about doing Physics or Biology, I like them both so I want to keep my options open for now. Both Physics and Astrophysics or Physiology interest me right now.
    I think I understand the whole module thing. I was thinking of doing 20 maths, 20 physics and 20 biology for the first year which the prospectus says can lead to doing either of the courses I want to. Does that sound about right? But then this link http://www.science.tcd.ie/undergraduate/jf/ says that maths + physics + biology doesn't lead to Physiology.
    I'm really confused with the whole thing now and I'd like a little help from people who know what this is about.

http://www.science.tcd.ie/undergraduate/prerequisites/

This page would probably be best when considering which moderatorship you choose. It gives the breakdown of subjects required for each course through 1st and 2nd year!

Chemistry is apparently needed for Physiology unfortunately. They really should allow people do more modules in first year IMO, it's not like the workload is massive as it is right now.

amacachi wrote: »
    Chemistry is apparently needed for Physiology unfortunately. They really should allow people do more modules in first year IMO, it's not like the workload is massive as it is right now.

I was under that impression too but according to the prerequisite table it's not :confused:

@Aoifums
    The link posted above is very helpful and it appears that that combination would lead to what you want!

I was under that impression too but according to the prerequisite table it's not :confused:

@Aoifums
    The link posted above is very helpful and it appears that that combination would lead to what you want!

In the SF handbook it's there as a pre-requisite.

In the SF handbook it's there as a pre-requisite.

They really should be consistent in all the manuals, it would be way less confusing :p

They really should be consistent in all the manuals, it would be way less confusing :p

Indeed, I had it down as one of my possibles since I didn't do Chemistry, then after a year I found out I couldn't do it.

One thing I'll say though, take your time, you'd be amazed how much your mind could change between now and June.

• Advertisement

Indeed, I had it down as one of my possibles since I didn't do Chemistry, then after a year I found out I couldn't do it.

One thing I'll say though, take your time, you'd be amazed how much your mind could change between now and June.

Oh, I'm not the 6th year, I'm in JF :p

Oh, I'm not the 6th year, I'm in JF :p

Once was enough times to tell me! :P

Once was enough times to tell me! :P

To be fair, I posted that first :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

Just a note aoiferz,if your thinking about physics be careful. I wanted to do physics and maths when I got here but was told that I shouldn't really even with a B1 and B2 in physics and maths. Also, I knew of more than one student who dropped out because they hated the course, and a good few I know now can't stand the maths. If you have a good knowledge and enjoy maths as a subject however, go for it!

Physiology looks very interesting at the moment by the way. smile.gif

Just a note aoiferz,if your thinking about physics be careful. I wanted to do physics and maths when I got here but was told that I shouldn't really even with a B1 and B2 in physics and maths. Also, I knew of more than one student who dropped out because they hated the course, and a good few I know now can't stand the maths. If you have a good knowledge and enjoy maths as a subject however, go for it!

Yeah, I'm not the girl looking for advice, that's Aoifums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Aoiferz you are made of pure awesome, thank you so much :D

No worries! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

does anyone know if we hand in our whole biology experimentfolder tomorro ? (JF)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

Dr. Rochford said last week in fridays lab that he wasn't taking the whole thing up, just the attendance sheet and the continuous variation report. He mentioned taking up lab books in January if things were amiss though

Yeah - he said something about taking them up in cases where someone was borderline failing.

What did everyone think of the MCQ? I tried to think of the answer in my head before looking at the options. Was never sure, always had two possible answers.. And both those where in the options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

What did everyone think of the MCQ? I tried to think of the answer in my head before looking at the options. Was never sure, always had two possible answers.. And both those where in the options.
    Yeah I had to play eeny meeny miney mo a couple of times, but I thought it was nice enough over all. I wish I hadn't spent so much time stressing over it now

It was a lot harder than I expected it to be, kept narrowing it down to two or three and guessing which one to choose. Then I'd rub it out and pick an other one! Glad there's no negative marking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Hello,hello, is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone home.....

When do we get our grades for JF Physical Chemistry Labs please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

Who told you that you shouldn't do it? Wow you've just really put me off. Physics and Maths was what I was hoping to do.

amortentia wrote: »
    Who told you that you shouldn't do it? Wow you've just really put me off. Physics and Maths was what I was hoping to do.

Don't be put off! I'm doing physics and maths at the moment and it's great! If you enjoy maths and physics now then you'll more than likely enjoy it in JF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Hello,hello, is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone home.....

When do we get our grades for JF Physical Chemistry Labs please?
    We got an email notifying us of our results on the 1st of April last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭vladglenin

Don't listen to him. I'm in SF, and I got a B2 in Physics and Maths, and I had no problem with the course at all. A good few people in class also got Bs, and so far no one has had much trouble; if you're stuck, then you go to the tutorials and they'll explain everything from the very beginning, if needs be.

Granted, some people dropped out, but there's always a few that drop out in every course. If you were hoping to do physics and maths, then go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Don't be put off. It's a great course that's made great by some fantastic lecturers. The tutorials are there for a reason, and help no end. Especially the SF Physics ones.

The lecturers have always been there to ask questions and I find it much more engaging than Chemistry, which I wish I had swapped for Geography and Geology as Maths and Physics is what I want to do.

Don't let the Bio heads put you off, they don't even know what Science is. :P

Finding it really hard to study Chemistry. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

ok can anyone tell me what the career prospectives are after this course please...tryna fill out a cao here...and it is NOT going well :confused:

• Advertisement

brownlad wrote: »
    ok can anyone tell me what the career prospectives are after this course please...tryna fill out a cao here...and it is NOT going well :confused:

*shrug* I'll most likely be doing something else when I finish anyway.

Don't think about the career prospects when you're doing your cao, pick a course you're interested in! No one has jobs at the moment anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Notron

Yeah im in SF doing Physics and Maths and also got a B in maths and had no problems with the course!! Its hard work sometimes like any course..but definitely managable....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

Notron wrote: »
    Yeah im in SF doing Physics and Maths and also got a B in maths and had no problems with the course!! Its hard work sometimes like any course..but definitely managable....

Thanks everyone for the reassurance about the course. It's just hard trying to pick something to do in college while hearing all this conflicting information.

Quick question, what do people that do Geology think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Notron wrote: »

ninja.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kilgannon

There are many options that a science graduate can explore.the degree you end up with all depends on the modules you pick while in college. Graduates in science have been know to end up in business jobs as they think which a high level of logic and learn information easily, you can also go into goverment (civil service), Pursue a job that directly relates to the degree you get or you can go into teaching or further study or research.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Hey guys, JF Scientist here :) Just wondering could anyone tell me about the foundation physics course, I've signed up to take it next term but don't really know anything about it :p Is is easier or harder than LC Physics would you say?

I did it last year, hadn't done physics for leaving cert and still managed to get on grand. From what I heard from people who had done physics for the leaving, it was just a large portion of what was done for leaving cert, without being made much harder. Lectures were mind-numbingly boring but it was a good way to get 5 credits.

Fuuuu. Only noticed now that they've changed my labs from having Biology on Thursdays and Chemistry on Fridays. This means I've nothing today until 5 o'clock. Kind of a random change.

Why hasn't there been any JF Biology lectures this week?

• Advertisement

Fuuuu. Only noticed now that they've changed my labs from having Biology on Thursdays and Chemistry on Fridays. This means I've nothing today until 5 o'clock. Kind of a random change.

Why hasn't there been any JF Biology lectures this week?

I'm not in till 5 either, might head in before two to get the Biology lab book though.
    Not sure about Biology, I found out there weren't on through facebook!

Advertisement