Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

bulmersgal wrote: »
    I got braces on last Tuesday, they still feel quite tender and sore to bite things. It's like they feel weaker is this normal. I only got the top braces on

It takes about a week for them to settle down. I was the same. The teeth do feel weaker or looser but it's par for the course. Perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CaitAine

I'm getting my braces put in tomorrow.
    Just the top teeth.

I'm just wondering how they will effect my speech initially. I have a job teaching English over the summer and am wondering will I be able to cope with it with new braces on?

And does filing the teeth hurt? I don't have to get an teeth extracted thank God, but will need to have my teeth filed down to make space for the movement.

I am slightly freaking out now.

Oh and what do people recommend eating for breakfast and for the first few days/weeks? After a quick google I have realised that I may run into trouble given that I hate certain textures and a lot of the softer foods do not appeal to me in the slightest.....

I went for a checkup with my dentist today. All seems good, thankfully. The sensitivity I had recently has subsided and my dentist said he couldn't see anything unusual in that area. So happy days. :)
    CaitAine wrote: »
    I'm getting my braces put in tomorrow.
    Just the top teeth.

I'm just wondering how they will effect my speech initially. I have a job teaching English over the summer and am wondering will I be able to cope with it with new braces on?

And does filing the teeth hurt? I don't have to get an teeth extracted thank God, but will need to have my teeth filed down to make space for the movement.

I am slightly freaking out now.

Oh and what do people recommend eating for breakfast and for the first few days/weeks? After a quick google I have realised that I may run into trouble given that I hate certain textures and a lot of the softer foods do not appeal to me in the slightest.....
    My speech wasn't affected at all - I'd say it depends on the person. For breakfast I ate Weetabix with warm milk to soften them.

I also only have the top in at the moment. It's touch and go whether I'll get the bottom brace in on my next visit, will have to see what my orthodontist says.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CaitAine

Oh can you still eat Weetabix? I just assumed that all the little bits would get stuck everywhere.
    Its just trying to figure out what to eat that won't have me getting up cracked early to fit in a big clean after breakfast. :P
    Thanks for the speedy reply Karsini. Glad to hear that your sensitivity is calming down.

CaitAine wrote: »
    Oh can you still eat Weetabix? I just assumed that all the little bits would get stuck everywhere.
    Its just trying to figure out what to eat that won't have me getting up cracked early to fit in a big clean after breakfast. :P
    Thanks for the speedy reply Karsini. Glad to hear that your sensitivity is calming down.

Rinse your mouth after eating and you'll be fine. :) I usually drink water, tea or milk after eating and use that to get rid of anything big; then I'd brush my teeth afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

Hi Folks

I am finally coming to the end of my treatment and I need to get a bit of cosmetic bonding to fill gaps. Two small triangle gaps between central and lateral incisor (I hope that is all)

Looking for recommendations from people who have gotten gaps filled in and are happy with the quality of the work.

I rang my own dentist and they mentioned cost was €275 per tooth depending on what needed to be done.

Thanks guys
    Jimmer

Back with my orthodontist today. Still didn't get the bottom arch on because we're running behind schedule. I did get the missing bracket fitted at the front though, because there's enough room to push it through.

Feels like he put cement on my back molars to prevent me biting down fully. Sounds right because the tooth he put the bracket on is so far back that it goes behind my bottom teeth when I bite down.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lovbnmoma

Hey Guys, Im now 15 months into my treatment, cant believe how quick the time has gone by. I have clear ceramic on my top teeth and metal on the bottom and the ortho says he isnt happy with the top teeth and is going to put metal on the top for the next four months and hopefully ill be getting them off then. Has anyone heard of someone having to get metal on instead of clear because they are not working? I am dreading getting them on as I find the clear ones bad enough! I asked him is there nothing else he could do and he said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

With regard to the 6 month smiles (which I have in 6 weeks), does anyone actually know of people who have gotten them out on the 6 month mark, or indeed before that!?

Im hoping for 6 myself although I do half expect to be told to keep them in. But I just want to know if 6 months can be common.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I got mine off after 4. I did have an appointment every 3 weeks though. Was so surprised, my teeth were totally mangled before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Back with the ortho yesterday to get top wire changed. As well as the elastics I wear across the top and bottom teeth, I have to start wearing elastics at night to connect the top and bottom teeth (like this). Wearing this elastic means I can't open my mouth to talk. My boyfriend is delighted :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

jokettle wrote: »
    Back with the ortho yesterday to get top wire changed. As well as the elastics I wear across the top and bottom teeth, I have to start wearing elastics at night to connect the top and bottom teeth (like this). Wearing this elastic means I can't open my mouth to talk. My boyfriend is delighted :pac:

what a lucky man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How likely is it that the central incisors will drop vertically from their final position once the braces have been removed? I wear my retainers every night but I've noticed that there is a gap between the lateral incisor and the retainer on the top arch.

Am I imagining things or do they only drift in the horizontal plane?

jokettle wrote: »
    ]Wearing this elastic means I can't open my mouth to talk.

Wearing this elastic also means serious discomfort during the night. It's like really intense grinding pressure focused on one tooth in particular. Hopefully it's temporary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I should have had my braces off months ago but my two front teeth are uneven. One is larger than the other and one is higher in the gum line than the other. So, my ortho is moving one tooth up then my dentist will add a composite to make them even.

Anyway, I should have known something was coming when she told me to inhale deeply. She turned the wire and, dear Jesus, I nearly fainted. I even have a high tolerance for pain but that was something else. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 R lane

Hey guys just came across this thread!

I was thinking about six month braces but I'm not sure that they'ed be suited to me. I'm booking a consultation soon. But I just thought I'd stick up a photo anyway :-) see what ye think ..... I'd just love a full,bright white,straight smile!!! Like us all ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

Glad I had a look through this thread as I want to go down the road of getting my teeth straightened. I had a consultation with and orthodontist close to where I live in Luxembourg. He did all the scans photos and he decided which direction we should take. He informed me that he specializes in a brand called "incognito". I was fairly excited about these particular braces because they are not visible to others. Unfortunately I've been reading online about these braces and their seem to be quite a few issues to overcome and even with the huge cost (7grand) the finished product may not be what I desired due to differences in tooth thickness and the fact that they push from inside outwards.

He also installs Damon ceramic braces but didn't really go into much detail about this today.
    Has anyone here had these braces (incognito/Damon) installed recently as i would love to hear some views.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

I should have had my braces off months ago but my two front teeth are uneven. One is larger than the other and one is higher in the gum line than the other. So, my ortho is moving one tooth up then my dentist will add a composite to make them even.

Anyway, I should have known something was coming when she told me to inhale deeply. She turned the wire and, dear Jesus, I nearly fainted. I even have a high tolerance for pain but that was something else. Ouch.

That what is delaying me, gums are even now. so just hoping my next appointment they will be coming off.

Then it just a gum graft and crowns and im done! woo

LottieP25 wrote: »
    Then it just a gum graft and crowns and im done! woo

Is this extra work or is it included in the orthodontic treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Extra, I have very thin gum around one of the crowns, and the metal is showing through it so it looks black at the top.

So im getting a gum graft, to thicken up the tissue, and will then get it shaped.

Then my two centrals crowned, had an accident a few years ago. But they were badly done at the time and look awful, so cant wait to get rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Hi,

Looking for braces, 29 year old male, big gap in front teeth(2-3cm), I would appreciated some recommendations for orthodontists in Dublin via PM.

I'm going for a consultation this week to assess what sort of Braces i need, but most likely the full metal braces would be my option.

Have saved up for this, but don't want to get ripped off so appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Hey guys and gals
    I had my braces in for about 6 months now, all going well so far.
    I have noticed a dark incised line on my front gum line running up from where my front teeth meet. I am getting self conscious about this.
    Is this normal ?
    Will it heal over time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RighteousDude

Hi everyone.

Quick query regarding 6 Month Smile braces procedure.

In order to create space for my bottom 4 central teeth, the orthodontist plans to wear away .5mm of enamel on the side of each tooth of the 4 teeth in question. She told me that around 2% of people will experience sensitivity issues as a result of this procedure and that only small percentage again of those people will experience a significant degree of pain.

Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence for me or are there any professionals who can verify these claims?

Sorta hate the idea of destroying healthy tissue any where on my body!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

oooh, have my braces on since dec, but just got them tightened for the first time yesterday and im in bits. (i seem to be really really tender every time i have an appointment, even getting new elastics on makes them sore) i now have power chains on as we are starting the process of pulling them back, i am due to get them removed in 9 months time.

I have my braces on since last October. My orthodontist told me today they could be coming off in 10 weeks :D That'll mean only 13 months total!

My next appointment is in 8 weeks time, and if she's happy with my teeth at that point she'll take impressions for retainers and the braces will come off 2 weeks later. Fingers crossed I have them off by Christmas!

great jokettle, what was your original timeframe? do yours look finished to you iykwim? i am at the halfway mark but i expect them to look finished with only tweaking to do in the last few months.

also a quick question, my ortho leaves the ends of the wire when he tightens them, the end is curled over so not to be sharp but it seems to be far too long and cuts the hell out of the side of my mouth, is this normal? think im gonna have to get him to snip it the the last and not curl it (as he wont be able when its in my mouth) ive a huge mouth ulcer and a crater beside it from the wire, flipping agony.

Sounds odd. My ortho snips it all the way back.

At my very first appointment I was told 18-24 months (I get the impression everyone is told that), and a month later I was told maybe 15 months, with a slight possibility of it being sooner. I assumed she was giving me general statistics rather than commenting on me specifically, so I always assumed 18 months minimum for me.

Oh, and yes, they do look finished! Even more so today because she shaved down the edges of my front teeth (the bottom edge of my top teeth and the top edge of my bottom ones, if that makes sense) so they look lovely and straight and smooth. I'm delighted with them! She told me to carefully monitor how my teeth look in the next 8 weeks, and if I want to change anything they can address it at my next appointment.

About the wire issue, my orthodontist does the exact same thing. She always makes me move my mouth/teeth around as much as possible before I go to make sure the wire isn't sticking into me anywhere. If it's uncomfortable, go back ASAP and have them adjust it. It'll only take a few seconds, it's not worth being in pain for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dee.1989

Hi everyone,

I recently visited an orthodontist to see about getting braces. I really want to go ahead with it however the one thing putting me off is the need to have 4 teeth extracted due to overcrowding. I don't like going to the dentist in general (but I suppose who does!) but more than that I have a pretty bad phobia of needles. It's not so much the idea of any pain (although obviously I'd prefer to avoid that if possible) but just the thought of it in general. Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with getting teeth extracted for braces that could help and maybe stop me worrying so much? I almost rang my general dentist today to make an appointment but chickened out! As I said above I really do want to get braces as I'm very unhappy with the appearance of my teeth but I just don't know if I can make myself do it.

Thanks for any help.

• Advertisement

dee honestly go for it. Im sure you are with a lot of people who struggle with a fear of the dentist but its really not bad, dentists have come a million miles from the ones a few years ago. they apply numbing cream before using the needle, which by the way will not be in your sightline at all, so between not feeling it and not seeing it you wont even know its done at all! for the extraction you will feel a slightly nudging feeling then its gone, also without seeing the tool to take it out. you will be delighted you did it once the braces go on. (the gap from the missing tooth is a bit annoying visually for a while but it will soon fill with nice inline teeth on your way to a fab new smile.

Advertisement