Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Else Hip Hop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

RZA seems like one cool dude, he respected Nardwuar's knowledge and was so affable throughout. Raekwon came across like a dickhead.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

RZA seems like one cool dude, he respected Nardwuar's knowledge and was so affable throughout. Raekwon came across like a dickhead.

its funny that when RZA mentions giving money to artists he sampled (whihch were not cleared) that Rae stormed out of the room.
    Ghost acts a bit like a d*ck as well, not sure why, the interview they done together recently was pretty good.

But yeah, love the RZA, one seriously smart cookie. The best thing he does, when he starts talking about women, he turns around to the groupie and say 'you know what i mean huh':pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Always got the dickhead vibe from Raekwon, as talented as he is.

Anyone got the info on his beef with Notorious?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've never seen Eyedea perform, this is as close as I'll get now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've never seen Eyedea perform, this is as close as I'll get now.

You don't see many artists, hip hop or non hip hop, playing with that kinda passion. Leaves it all on the stage.

Jay Elect was playing at a festival in Brooklyn the other day, no new tracks, but he rolled deep with his squad of Nation of Islam goons :pac:

BshA8szCYAIuiSQ.jpg

HighClass wrote: »
    Jay Elect was playing at a festival in Brooklyn the other day, no new tracks, but he rolled deep with his squad of Nation of Islam goons :pac:

Performed with Jay Z at the festival as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Action Bronson is pure comedy, watch him take a quick bathroom break during his performance in Canada but continue rapping:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Check out the security guard he had. The guy make Bronson look tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

The official Represent music video...20 years later
    Published on Jul 15, 2014
    In celebration of the 20th Anniversary of his seminal debut album Illmatic, Nas held a contest inviting fans to collaborate and produce the official music video for "Represent," an influential track off of the classic release. This is the first video ever made for the track and was shot at the YouTube Space Los Angeles.

Personally don't like it at all...look too "fan made"...but any excuse to bump Illmatic is more than welcomed!

It's that time of the year again...'Big Ghosts 6th Annual Softest Niggas in The Game'

http://bigghostlimited.com/big-ghost-presents-the-6th-annual-10-softest-niggas-in-the-game/

DMX is hilarious, watch him freaking out on a rollercoaster ride:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Not sure if anyone here follows the breakfast club interviews but charlamange the god is notorious for being blunt and up front but fredro from onyx really lost it after his comment on brandy and 50 punching him a few years back.

Not sure if anyone here follows the breakfast club interviews but charlamange the god is notorious for being blunt and up front but fredro from onyx really lost it after his comment on brandy and 50 punching him a few years back.

I'd say Fredro was warned in advance about Charlamange's slide tackles and got all worked up about it.
    To be fair, they were there to talk about the new album and tour, but when they got to it, they just kept side stepping back to older topics that were forgotten about.
    They were even trying to see if there was beef with Keith Murray as well to try get some sort of controvesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I know it's very short notice but there is a documentary on BBC 5 live radio tonight at 1.30am examining 40 years of Hip-Hop. It should be available on the Iplayer for a little while anyway
    Dotun Adebayo presents a special programme live from New York looking at 40 years of Hip Hop. Guests include Rakim, Afrika Bambaataa, Monie Love, Fab 5 Freddy, Marley Mark, Joel Ortiz, Too Short, Dead Prez, Krit, Kurtis Blow, Swiss from So Solid Crew, Octopizzo and Jin as they examine Hip Hop's history and its influence on the world.

Great write up on The Orphanage

http://www.dome-land.com/orphanage-hip-hops-holy-grail/

For those not in the know, this was a group made up of Slug (Atmosphere), Illogic, Blueprint, Aesop Rock & Eyedea....but all thier recordings have not yet been released.

• Really great rap battle clip I found on youtube from '96 featuring Eminem;

Ever wondered what Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing ta Fuck Wit sung by the movies would sound like?

This is outstanding but must have took forever to make!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

Was in Cite de la Musique in Paris yesterday, the museum was unfortunately closed, but even the book shop was impressive. They had a huge selection of books on rap and hip hop, all by french authors. I found an almost academic book on independent hip hop based around 100 albums. Finally picked up Bun B's Rap colouring book anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

Got a pretty good email from Killer Mike and El-P in advance of Run The Jewels 2, including all the bonus packages available..
    'I'm On The ****ing List, Asshole' Package: $7500
    Run The Jewels will put you on the all access guest list plus 1 for any Run The Jewels show anywhere and up to 10 shows. You (and not your plus 1) will be welcome in our back stage before, during and after shows as well as be allowed to hang for soundcheck and load in if you find that sort of thing interesting, have full access to our backstage rider which includes a deli meant tray, various cheeses, a bottle of Henessey, grey goose and various energy bars. We will share our weed with you and let you yell at our tour manager. We will pretend to like you and will introduce you to our friends as our “friend”. Run The Jewels requires a half an hour before stage time to not have to deal with you and your ****ing yammering in order to do our pre show stretches, vocal warm ups and crying.

RTJ2 4xLP
    RTJ2 T-shirt
    RTJ2 CD
    Signed Poster
    Stickers
    1 of every merch item we are selling on tour
    Tears
    Deli tray
    Yelling

The Show and Tell Package: $25,000
    Run The Jewels will fly to your town and accompany your child to show and tell at his or her school on an agreed upon date (and in the United States) where we will answer any questions the children have about marijuana, rap music and global politics. Run The Jewels will also read the story of your child's choice to the class as well as take a picture with your child and his or her classmates. We will also provide personal bully protection for 24 hours as well as write and record a song with your child. El-P will explain the true nature of the world and teach your child how to curse and smoke (if desired), killer mike will teach your child how to fight and organize local community action.

RTJ2 4xLP
    RTJ2 T-shirt
    RTJ2 CD
    Signed Poster
    Stickers
    Autographed class picture with run the jewels
    Hot wheels car

Housesitters Deluxe*: $35,000
    Run The Jewels will spend an agreed upon weekend at your house where we will smoke all of your weed, listen to your stupid ****ing music, and let your mother cook for us.

Also contains:

RTJ2 Original Master Vinyl Acetate (4xLP Master and 4XLP Instrumentals)
    RTJ2 Test Press (only 20 in existence)
    Limited Edition 4xLP with Instrumentals
    Poster and Stickers
    CD
    Run The Jewels T-shirt.

The Meow The Jewels Package*: $40,000
    Run The Jewels will re-record RTJ2 using nothing but cat sounds for music. You are free to profit from this album in any way you see fit up to 100k in net global profit or 3 years (whichever comes first).

Mystery Time Supreme! Package*: $50,000
    Run The Jewels will start a private detective agency and make you an employee for a month where you and run the jewels will work together to unravel local mysteries but mostly just smoke weed in the back of your van. Run The Jewels will also show you the secret handshake as well as create a theme song for the company that you can name as long as its not a ****ing stupid name. Also included:

RTJ2 4xLP
    RTJ2 T-shirt
    RTJ2 CD
    Signed Poster
    Stickers
    One Rental Van (30 days)
    Walkie Talkies
    Marijuana

The Jewels Candygram Package*: $55,000
    Run The Jewels will show up at your door step dressed in clothing made of candy to rap both albums to you personally over the beats of your choice and wish you a happy birthday (or any other occasion). We will then spend the day playing contact ultimate frisbee with your family and friends, ending at dusk where we will build a small, possibly illegal bonfire and drink until one of us urinates where we are sitting.

RTJ2 4xLP
    RTJ2 T-shirt
    RTJ2 CD
    Signed Poster
    Stickers
    Box of candy
    Paper towels
    Lasting traumatic memories

The **** Boy Revenge Package*: $100,000
    Run The Jewels will fly to your town, stalk and ultimately take revenge upon anyone in your life who has ever wronged you through a series of humiliating and vicious tactics designed to bring shame upon their name and the name of their children. We will then train your enemies pet to love you. This offer does not include murder. Also includes:

RTJ2 4xLP
    RTJ2 T-shirt
    RTJ2 CD
    Signed Poster
    Stickers

A polaroid photo of your mortal enemy cowering and begging for forgiveness
    1 clump of your enemies hair
    1 pet*
    *offer applies only where available

The We Are Gordon Ramsey Package*: $150,000
    Run The Jewels will self produce a new episode of Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsey, with Mike and El both playing Gordon Ramsey. We will travel to a restauraunt with you of your choice, completely uninvited, and attempt to force them to change their menu. All the while verbally abusing and insulting the entire staff to hilarious effect. Also includes:

RTJ2 4xLP
    RTJ2 T-shirt
    RTJ2 CD
    Signed Poster
    Stickers

The We Are Gordon Ramsey Supreme Package*: $200,000
    The We Are Gordon Ramsey Package with the addition of: Run The Jewels will film a follow up episode in which we will return to the resturaunt a year later and check on its progress.

The Self Righteousness For Sale Package*: $350,000.00
    Run The Jewels will spend 6 months pretending to care about whatever you care about. We will travel to no more than 3 events of your choosing and make eloquent, timely speeches on your causes behalf. We will shoot a heartfelt, informative video for your cause as well as co-author an info packet to be distributed on your causes behalf that includes an original song called “WE’VE GOT TO BRING _ _ _ _ _ _ _ TO AN END”. This offer does not extend to terrorists or cops.

Run The Jewels Retirement Plan Package*: $10,000,000
    Run The Jewels will retire from music, making only one song a year for you personally. Every song title will be your name with a number next to it. You are free to exploit these recordings however you feel like. Includes:

All run the jewels publishing from any new song created during our retirement
    2 fake gold 36” chains
    2 green hands
    A sticker

*run the jewels reserves the right to take your money and not fulfill any of its obligations as outlined in any package priced at 35k or more.

It's finally emmerged that Tim Dog is actually dead:

http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/mystery-rapper-tim-dogs-death-solved-n203776

• Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's finally emmerged that Tim Dog is actually dead:

http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/mystery-rapper-tim-dogs-death-solved-n203776

I only remember him as the dude getting dissed in 'The Chronic' by dre

Never heard any of his music

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I only remember him as the dude getting dissed in 'The Chronic' by dre

Never heard any of his music

Penecillin On Wax and Do Or Die are 2 stone old classics. Highly recommend them.

• Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Penecillin On Wax and Do Or Die are 2 stone old classics. Highly recommend them.

K, will check them out

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    K, will check them out
    expect lots of bass and angry lyrics.

Looks like we'll be getting a Meow The Jewels album. One of the special pre orders was that El-P would remix the album only using cat sounds and somebody made a Kickstarter page for it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1957344648/meow-the-jewels

El-P is after getting behind the project and said all money raised will be going to charity. $45k goal, $5k already raised after the first few days.

• Advertisement

Common, Vince Staples & Jay Electronica performed together at the BET awards, did a remix to Commons track Kingdom xJ0Ce3p.jpg

Then they brought the parents of Michael Brown on stage for a tribute to him.

092014-shows-hha-2014-show-highlights-Vince-Staples-Jay-Electronica-Michael-Brown-Sr-Lesley-McSpadden-Common-2.jpg

Doesn't air till sometime next month but another good sign that Jay will be dropping the album soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Here's a podcast with Open Mike Eagle talking about the "disappearance" of underground hip-hop. Blockhead shows up at one point too.

http://www.infiniteguest.org/secret-skin/2014/09/the-death-of-underground-hip-hop/

Here's an excellent read on the making of AmeriKKKas Most Wanted.

https://medium.com/cuepoint/ice-cube-check-the-technique-202d2a794008

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Here's an excellent read on the making of AmeriKKKas Most Wanted.

https://medium.com/cuepoint/ice-cube-check-the-technique-202d2a794008

I remember when i was kid, my mam treated me to an album, and it was probably the only time she ever questioned an explicit content sticker, i think it was because she was worried people where watching her buy a kid an explicit album, anyway, i handed her its dark and hell is hot by DMX, and she made me pick something else, so i gave her this album and she bought that instead.

If she only knew.

• Advertisement

I remember when i was kid, my mam treated me to an album, and it was probably the only time she ever questioned an explicit content sticker, i think it was because she was worried people where watching her buy a kid an explicit album, anyway, i handed her its dark and hell is hot by DMX, and she made me pick something else, so i gave her this album and she bought that instead.

If she only knew.

I can't remember where I picked up my copy of Amerikka's, probably Borderline Records.
    But I remember buying Kill At Will.
    Virgin Megastore that used to be on the quays, I must have been 14 or 15. I walked up to the counter, but the guy wouldn't sell it to me because of the Explicit Content sticker. Pr*ck. Back then I was even getting served booze in pubs. But this guy, was enforcing some sort of law that didn't even exist.
    Luckily some other hip hop fan who was older heard my predicament, came over, all this in front of the cashier, took the tape out of my hand, and the cash and announced that he would like to purchase the explicit cassette.

That dude was a hero.

It was only later that I realised that he was a guy who used to live accross the road from me.

I can't remember where I picked up my copy of Amerikka's, probably Borderline Records.
    But I remember buying Kill At Will.
    Virgin Megastore that used to be on the quays, I must have been 14 or 15. I walked up to the counter, but the guy wouldn't sell it to me because of the Explicit Content sticker. Pr*ck. Back then I was even getting served booze in pubs. But this guy, was enforcing some sort of law that didn't even exist.
    Luckily some other hip hop fan who was older heard my predicament, came over, all this in front of the cashier, took the tape out of my hand, and the cash and announced that he would like to purchase the explicit cassette.

That dude was a hero.

It was only later that I realised that he was a guy who used to live accross the road from me.

That happend me a few times as well, buying an album felt like going to an off licence, if kids these days only knew the trouble we went to to listen to hip hop, now everything is at their fingertips.

Also when i first started getting into hip hop, for me it was really hard to find out about hip hop, i eventually found a few magazines and yo mtv raps (mtv uk, a few gems on top of a load of crap), so i would go and buy albums just because of the look of the cover, or just grab something completely random, i picked some quality looking back, Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, The Pharcyde _ Labcabincalifornia, Onyx - bacdafucup, Redman - Whut? thee album, all picked up just by the look of the cover. The internet came along and that was a game changer. Good times though looking back, ment a lot more back then buying an album.

That happend me a few times as well, buying an album felt like going to an off licence, if kids these days only knew the trouble we went to to listen to hip hop, now everything is at their fingertips.

Yep, it was a struggle.
    Go into the city, go to Tower or Easons and pick up HHC or The Source. Read through the reviews and look at what was advertised (before Pen&Pixel ruined that), then go to the 4 or 5 shops. Search through everything for something that got a decent review or advertised, if all else fails, take a gamble on something.
    Luckily it got to a stage where I got a bit known by people in the shops and they would hold stuff for me.

I took a trip to London for a weekend with The Expert back when we were 15 or 16, it was incredible. We were able to buy all the albums we had been looking for in Dublin. One of the prize finds was Grav - Down To Earth which was advertised everywhere but no available to by in Dublin.

Yep, it was a struggle.
    Go into the city, go to Tower or Easons and pick up HHC or The Source. Read through the reviews and look at what was advertised (before Pen&Pixel ruined that), then go to the 4 or 5 shops. Search through everything for something that got a decent review or advertised, if all else fails, take a gamble on something.
    Luckily it got to a stage where I got a bit known by people in the shops and they would hold stuff for me.

Sounds so similar.

I took a trip to London for a weekend with The Expert back when we were 15 or 16, it was incredible. We were able to buy all the albums we had been looking for in Dublin. One of the prize finds was Grav - Down To Earth which was advertised everywhere but no available to by in Dublin.

Class man! I remember finding out about the boot camp clik through that wu chronicles album, nowadays its hard getting their albums here, so were non existent here back then, was in Paris on a trip and went into a music shop and found their back catalogue, was a very happy boy.

Good times man. I wish i collected vinyl, id imagine the thrill nowadays is still similar.

• Advertisement

Somebody finally found the illusive sample for Survival Of The Fittest

Havoc went in differently with the production on that album!

I think I might be looking forward to this more than Run The Jewels 2 :o

That audition video is great. There is a load of producers that are getting involved now as well so it should be interesting to see what comes of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Jack Nicklaus - golf thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

RA The Rugged Man recently had a competition for people to send in their best verse over one of his beats. The eventual winner was 17 year old AFRO. RA seems to be really taken by this guy, he's flew him out and has been letting him meet a bunch of people. Dude is really in to his old school hip hop and knows all the greats.

His reaction when RA surprises him with a meeting with DJ Premier is priceless, he must think he's in dream land!

Seems like a real nice kid and can spit too!

RA has brought him to meet all the legends in NY. Unreal story, he's even been on the Queen Latifah show which is pretty big daytime TV in the US.

But, what bothers me, nothing about AFRO, why hasn't RA used these resources he has over the years for himself.

Was thinking that myself. Has RA even done anything with Premo? Can't think off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I enjoyed this:

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Was thinking that myself. Has RA even done anything with Premo? Can't think off the top of my head.

Not that I know of.

AFRO has just been added to RA's European Tour, so he'll be playing here soon.

Thats awesome. The guy must be buzzing. Pity I've no days off left until Christmas or I'd be going down to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement