Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 Commonwealth Games (July 23 - August 3)

Options
  • 23-07-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

250px-2014_Commonwealth_Games_Logo.svg.png

4,560 Athletes from 71 Countries are in Glasgow to participate in 17 different Sports, in the third largest multi-sport event in the World (after the Olympics and the Asian Games).

The Republic of Ireland doesn't compete, because we aren't in the Commonwealth, but Northern Ireland have a 117 strong team making the short trip to Scotland. Some of them are potential Rio 2014 Team Ireland participants, including

Paddy Barnes, Michael Conlon, Steven Ward, Steven Donnelly (Boxing)
    Martyn Irvine, Sean Downey, Philip Lavery (Cycling)
    Aileen Reid (Triathlon)
    Lisa Kearney (Judo)
    Jason Smyth (Athletics)
    Sycerika McMahon (Swimming)

Martyn Smyth will carry the Northern Ireland flag at the Opening Ceremony.

There is blanket TV coverage across the BBC every day, the Opening Ceremony is on BBC1 tonight (Wednesday) at 8pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Really feel we are missing a trick by not competing or requesting to be allowed compete at these.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

would rep of ire actually win any medals at this considering the north would have first pick on most of the boxers and irvine in cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

would rep of ire actually win any medals at this considering the north would have first pick on most of the boxers and irvine in cycling

True enough, a lot of our potential medal talent is based in the North at the moment.

But Womens Boxing is a new addition to these games, I reckon Katie Taylor just might squeeze in the medals! Also, Rob Heffernan and a few other athletes, and some boxers from the Republic would do well.

North v South boxing contests would be tasty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The Queen in Celtic Park standing for God Save The Queen.

I've often stood there too and heard lots of other songs about her there. :pac:

I remember the 1986 Edinburgh Commonwealth Games when more than half of the Countries boycotted because of Thatcher's appeasement of South Africa.

In some events there were only three competitors, and only the winner got a medal. Boycotts were all too common in the eighties, hopefully we won't see them again.

• Advertisement

We started all that lark Skid when we boycotted the 1936 Olympics. :(

Skid X wrote: »
    True enough, a lot of our potential medal talent is based in the North at the moment.

But Womens Boxing is a new addition to these games, I reckon Katie Taylor just might squeeze in the medals! Also, Rob Heffernan and a few other athletes, and some boxers from the Republic would do well.

North v South boxing contests would be tasty.

north v south could make a good charity night,forgot about katie,is there walking at this?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Heading over tomorrow, catching the track cycling Friday, Saturday and Sunday (Irvine told me he's probably only going to do the Scratch and Points races - tried to convince him to do the pursuit as well - given Wiggins is giving that one a miss I think he would be an outside medal chance in that one) as well as the Rugby 7s over the weekend, finishing off with some athletics on Monday

Was in Manchester in 2002 - it's a fabulous event - much more laid back than the Olympics, but everyone really enjoys themselves (spectators and athletes)

north v south could make a good charity night,forgot about katie,is there walking at this?

I assumed there was, but I'm wrong.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/athletics/commonwealth-games-chiefs-drop-johanna-1727200

There were Walking events in 2010, and there will be in 2018 but for some reason Glasgow didn't include it in their programme. Strange.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Walking events close city roads for the day - I suspect they decided just to have such an event, the marathon, once (both men's and women's are taking place on Sunday)

• Advertisement

i"d blame The Proclaimers,everyone thought it would be 500 miles !!!!

Oh Jesus Christ those Scottish uniforms. :eek:

No wonder they didn't want to come out of the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bizzare watching this is like the B Olympics

If it wasn't for Chris Hoy, poor Imran would still be trying to open that yoke and Queenie would have to go ahead with her speech from memory :D

Lapin wrote: »
    If it wasn't for Chris Hoy, poor Imran would still be trying to open that yoke and Queenie would have to go ahead with her speech from memory :D

Yeah, that was awkward, he'll probably get promoted from Sir Chris to Lord Hoy for his quick thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

KevIRL wrote: »
    Really feel we are missing a trick by not competing or requesting to be allowed compete at these.

Quiz: In what year did Ireland ( not Northern Ireland ) compete at these games?

Lapin wrote: »

Commonwealth Games, not Empire Games,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

1930?

efb wrote: »
    1930?
    They were the first ones, so I would hazard a guess at 1930 also, but could have been 1934

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    Commonwealth Games, not Empire Games,
    1911 was not the "Empire Games", it was simply part of a wider event to celebrate the coronation of George V

It only became the "Commonwealth Games" in 1978, having been the "British Empire Games" between 1930 and 1950 and then the "British Commonwealth Games"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Heading to the athletics at Hampden on Wednesday night, looking forward to it as I didn't get to London two years ago. It is a shame that we don't compete as there would be plenty of medals to be won and finals to be reached by athletes who might not have much chance at the Olympics - the standard in some events is relatively weak.

Another issue is that Irish athletes often struggle with the pressure of the Olympics on their first visit and under perform - the Commonwealth Games would be a great introduction to multi-sport events for Irish athletes as the general setup (athletes village, opening ceremony etc.) is similar to the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Women's triathlon about to start. Looks like savage weather for the swim, they aren't even using wetsuits - should result in quicker transitions.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Women's triathlon about to start. Looks like savage weather for the swim, they aren't even using wetsuits - should result in quicker transitions.

Looked like a good race. Aileen Reid finished 6th for NI. She was in the lead group heading into the run but she was dropped.

Beasty wrote: »
    They were the first ones, so I would hazard a guess at 1930 also, but could have been 1934

1930 is correct. I don't know how Ireland fared. I believe Ireland's declining to compete in 1934 was a significant ingredient in all the controversy at that time which culminated in Ireland's absence from Berlin 1936.

Skid X wrote: »
    Looked like a good race. Aileen Reid finished 6th for NI. She was in the lead group heading into the run but she was dropped.
    Yeah, tough finish, they all seemed pretty wrecked by the end of the run.

The Brownlee brothers just destroyed the rest of the field in the Men's Tri. They are absolute machines!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

First medal for N Ireland in the Judo, a bronze

• Registered Users Posts: 24 The Rings The Flame

Another issue is that Irish athletes often struggle with the pressure of the Olympics on their first visit and under perform - the Commonwealth Games would be a great introduction to multi-sport events for Irish athletes as the general setup (athletes village, opening ceremony etc.) is similar to the Olympics.

Maybe the introduction of the European Games next year should help to sort us out on that score.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a calendar of the athletics events? Thanks. Which other disciplines are world class? Thanks,

Advertisement