Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling commutes - what's your distance?

Options
  • 30-10-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in finding out what distances people are cycling each day to work.
    I'm looking at getting out of the car and getting on the bike more often, and wondering what distances people do today on their bikes.

distance travelled (total each day),
    and
    type of bike (e.g. roadbike, hybrid, mountain bike, recumbent, unicycle...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

I do ten 8km journeys a week on a mountain bike. It takes me between 30 and 40 minutes depends on traffic, lights, lemming pedestrians, etc. I complete my journey by Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

i do 7.5km twice a day monday to friday on a single speed road bike. (formerly on a hybrid mountain bike). Its definitely the only way to travel!!

If my bike was out of action, i'd rather walk the 75minutes to work than get public transport!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I do approx. 25km a day (12.5km each way). Takes me about 40-45 minutes depending on lights, traffic etc. It's a hybrid bike I have (Kona Dew Deluxe).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

9 miles/14.4km each way. 35-45 mins depending on direction (uphill and against wind on way home). Shower at either end.
    Specialized Rockhopper mountain bike with slick tyres.

If weather is poor I'll either work from home or get train and jog 2 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

11km each way, 35-40 mins, stopping at all traffic lights. I use a lightweight road bike.

If I use Dart & Luas, it would be about 50 minutes.

Dublin is a great place to live and work but the cycle lanes are terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

firhouse to stephens green (11kms each way) every day. 25mins in the morning, 40 mins in the evening.. uphill home, into the wind. bus would take 1hr 30mins..

First 3 years - crappy mountain bike, now on a hybrid (Giant FCR3) for the last year. It costs a bit to get everything you need like bike, wet gear, helmet, lights, maybe a spare pair of shoes and/or jacket for the office, (cant wear high viz to meetings) but youll save on transport cost and get a bit of a lie in as well.

You may get a lot more responses in the Cycling forum

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Stopped recently but for the last 2 years I did Smithfield-Stephen's Green 2.2 km each way, Luas the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

4km each way, thats 40km a week from Kilmainham to Stephens Green and it takes 12-15 minutes.

Its a pleasure, but half the journey is without any consistent cycle track and it you would need to have four sets of eyes.

Simple bike, 18 gears. Some generic make...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

according to google earth it's 2 miles via my route
    drumcondra - tcd
    about 11 minutes, more if the traffic is heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Crumlin to the IFSC so about 5km I think. Takes about 25 minutes in the morning depending on red lights and that. I Ride a Speialized Crossroads Sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

25-30km round trip.
    I started on a mountain bike, then moved to a road bike and now I'm on a fixed gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

22km each way on a road bike. 40-45 mins, slightly longer on the way home (headwind). I'd definitely give it a go as an alternative to driving.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

9km round trip. Takes 12 - 15 minutes each way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

Rathmines to Coolock
    11.5 km in (mostly uphill typically 33-38 minutes)
    11.65 km out (typically 30-35 minutes, record is 26)

Ancient but excellent Claud Butler Virago, 18 speed (with horribly worn chainrings!).

So, it’s 6 hours commuting a week by bike vs about 18hours a week by walking + bus.
    (granted, my bus commute was unusually long and complicated. There were weeks where it was 30hours+).

Not as cheap as you might think, but cheaper than the bus/car/taxi’s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

8km round trip each day on a cheap 18-speed mountain bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

6 miles each way and I vary it in the summer to out about 10-15 on the way home. Giant OCR2 Road bike excellent.

Well worth doing as increases metabolism and excellent weight loss,(debatable from reading other threads). Showering both ends.

Only downside is can be putting on smelly gear in the evening.

Do it. You'll reach your desk ready for action. Couple with a good breakfast before you leave the house and you're on a winner.

Build up to it as it can be tiring initially if you're not a seasoned cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

5.3 or 6km each way depending on route
    Giant FCR2 straight-barred racer.
    12-14 mins each way depending on lights and wind.
    car sits in the driveway all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

daymobrew wrote: »
    If weather is poor I'll either work from home ...

Wish I had your job;)

I have about 4 miles each way directly, but I take a quieter, more scenic route along the canal and it's 5 miles each way. Takes about 30 minutes with no sweating I hope. Hybrid/touring bike.

Bit of a pain having to remember locks, lights, wetgear etc. And I'm a helmet wearer and hiviz person so I have a whole bag full of cycling paraphernalia to lug around with me. If I couldn't cycle to work I'd change jobs or change flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

6.8km each way. 13 mins if I push it or about 17 mins if I take it easy and don't break a sweat. Doing it on Specialized Allez or my fixie depending. No noteable difference in times between bikes. Thats carrying a backpack with a full change of clothes for work & lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

12 km each way, Giant FCR3, showers at work essential!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

More answers in Cycling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

About 4km each way: Dundrum to City Centre. Takes around 15minutes, quicker than the LUAS and it's the only way I feel in any way awake when I get into town.
    Bike in pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

scaldybelt wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm interested in finding out what distances people are cycling each day to work.
    I'm looking at getting out of the car and getting on the bike more often, and wondering what distances people do today on their bikes.

distance travelled (total each day),
    and
    type of bike (e.g. roadbike, hybrid, mountain bike, recumbent, unicycle...)

I do about 8 miles to and from work on a vintage racer. Usually cycle 2 or 3 times a time, and drive the rest.

The worst thing is the lack of bus lanes, and the propensity of the council to dig up roads and stitch them up in any old fashion, with an almost deliberate disregard for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

macinalli wrote: »
    12 km each way, Giant FCR3, showers at work essential!

No showers in my office, so bring a full change of clothes. Luckily I'm not an over-weight, sweaty type.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

9 mile round trip on a hybrid, and sometimes a MTB. 20mins into work, I would have to leave 45-60mins for the same trip in a car, depending on schools.

Still have the use of a car sometimes and NEVER take it, even if it is torrential rain I would sooner cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

4.5km each way (Kilmainham to Mountjoy Sq), every day barring rare exceptions when I need to bring the car in for work purposes. Used to do it on a Hybrid, but made the switch to a Specialized Langster in fixed gear, never looked back.

12 to 15 minutes each way depending on weather / road conditions / light. Drive takes anything from 20 minutes to 1hr 10 minutes, depending on conditions. Public transport (Luas or Bus) takes at least an hour inclusive of walking to stops etc.

So despite the ridiculously useless bike lanes, the occasional psychopath driving a car / van / SUV or bus, it remains the most efficient and most enjoyable way to get to work. The extra investment for proper gear (helmet, wet gear, high vis, lights) and bike maintenance are more than worth it, and represents a fraction of petrol costs or public transport fares.

In the absence of a shower at work (I shower before I leave the house), a change of clothes either in work or in a backpack should see you straight.

So what are you waiting for?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

12k each way here, on a full sus MTB (in silver & red). Yeah it's a bit of slog, but I look cool :p

Think my quickest time was something around 27 minutes. Usually around 29-31 mins going in and 32-35 mins going out (depends on wind & traffic conditions)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

th_commuter_bikeLarge.jpg
    6.5km, c.75m gradual ascent- Ranelagh to Sandyford. A little over 15 minutes on the way, a little under on the way back (cycling time.) Maybe +5 mins at the lights. Alternate between this hybrid-converted-touring-bike and a lightweight racer.

8.879km each way according to dto.ie. Takes around 35 - 40 mins on the way in, and around an hour on the way back (but that's probably due to me not going as quickly on the way home :)) Distance is bound to be a bit off since the journey isn't exactly the same (since I cut through UCD on the way) I don't think it'd be too far off.

I'm missing my cycling this week due to injurying my back last week. Stoopid buses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement