Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling commute - what's your distance?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

3k each way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

7.5km each way

I reckon I will feel like a wus as this thread progresses.........
    Did I forget to mention I do it with 40kg of weights added for resistance training in the 53x11 and both brakes locked on full just to make it a wee bit tougher........
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

5.3 or 6 km each way depending on route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

About 6.5 each way.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

20k each way (40mins, PB: 37mins)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I hear you wheelworx, feel super wussy now. However I'd challenge any other non-cycling commuter to a race with confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

6.8K each way. 17-18 mins taking it easy, 15 mins with a bit of effort and PB 13 mins.

oobydooby wrote: »
    I hear you wheelworx, feel super wussy now. However I'd challenge any other non-cycling commuter to a race with confidence!

Ha ha ...yeah I can freewheel into work quicker than drive (All down hill....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

15km each way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

4.5km each way. Dream commute in along the quays and up O'Connell St since the Bus Lane has been cleared of everything but the buses. Trickier getting home, have to find an alternate route from John's Road as the building work at Heuston Square and the heavy traffic making it extremely hostile territory for two-wheelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

21km each way, don't do it too often tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

6.5 k there and back. 15- 20 mins depending. Shame my bike is a crawling rust bucket :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

6.5k each way

About 25 mins, but i blame that on the traffic lights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

15k each way. Approx 33 mins but traffic lights add a lot more. Keep the gears on 53/17 each way. Fortunate to have showers at work!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Hungrycol wrote: »
    15k each way. Approx 33 mins but traffic lights add a lot more. Keep the gears on 53/17 each way.
    I keep the gears at 30/12 all the way, because that's all I've got. I've been thinking of getting a taller gear, but last night I had to hill-start on a canal bridge (Hazelhatch) and I could just do it - any taller and I'd have to have started downhill and U-turned...
    Fortunate to have showers at work!
    LuckyU, as Robbie Williams sang: "you think I don't smell strong? you're wrong! I pong!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

rp wrote: »
    as Robbie Williams sang: "you think I don't smell strong? you're wrong! I pong!"

My nomination goes for the literary hall of fame for such masterful prose such as these rhyming lyrics goes to Robbie Williams... Strong, Wrong and Pong, masterful. FFS :rolleyes:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

11.5km each way Tallafornia to City Centre in about 30-40 minutes depending on wind and traffic lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

11km each way. Usually 25mins but wind can push this out to 35mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

7.135 km each way - about 25 mins - I add an extra 20 mins if I'm not in a rush in the mornings to keep the weight down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

25km.

1h15hrs in the morning and about 1h30hrs on the way home.

Dont do it that often though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

10km each way. Takes about 25 minutes in the morning downhill and 35 on the way home uphill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

4kms each way, about 8-10minutes (i think). To- is all uphill fro- down. Ill time myself properly tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 40 makospeed

18km each way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

7 k each way. 20 mins in the morning, 25 coming home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

10km each way pretty flat - about 25-30mins depending on traffic lights, hopefully this will become much better when the road from Blackrock to city centre has proper bus/cycle lane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I must say, I was cycling back from the city centre (I live in blackrock) today and found a pretty decent cycle lane somewhere between the canal and Vincents (to be precise).. I cycle along the 45 bus route anyway so it's one of those roads. I think on the way to town it's combined with a buslane but coming back there was a good stretch of cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

8.6km each way, 35 mins...its uphill ok! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

10.5 km each way, along the 45 bus route, I'm going to guess I liver pretty close to High&Low.
    I was cycling back from the city centre today and found a pretty decent cycle lane somewhere between the canal and Vincents
    This is true, takes me about half an hour going in to town but 25 mins coming back out despite it being pretty flat, prob even a slight slope towards town. The reasons for the difference in my view are the afore mentioned better cycle lane position outbound, on the way in my bar ends scare wing mirrors:(, and also inbound around Merrion Gates the road surface is terrible, forces me to drop a gear or two and hover over my saddle. Hopefully when all the building work nearby is done they'll smooth it all out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

7.5 km each way, around 25 mins id say including usual stoppages

Advertisement