Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Racing Calendar

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

MichealD wrote: »
    Perhaps a better system would be an online event resource where events on the calendar could be updated and published in the four weeks running up to the event by which time all details would be tied down.

From the talk at the AGM, I think they're definitely moving toward that. But they're doing it gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

morana wrote: »
    the BC is very good and each event has its own page. It would be great if t
    hey produced something along those lines.

for example have a look at this.

no reason not to produce the same standard or better here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭wav1

are you working for CI now GM?

if so it will be great to have you around here.
    I think we all work for CI.Just dont get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GMCI

wav1 wrote: »
    I think we all work for CI.Just dont get paid.

Wav1 is correct, just another of the volunteers who knows how things run.

Attached you should find also find the full Road Calendar as of mid December with relevant details.

If you think this has been heavy going using the online system so far, it is going to get heavier if the plans go the way they want them to.

While everyone should embrace the use of modern technology, I do feel, and have raised already the danger of trying to load everything onto the membership at once. Its too overwhelming for the majority.
    As indicated to the Ops Manager at the AGM, the average age is 39 within the CI membership. It would be interesting to see the average age of an event organiser (no offence Wav1). It is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

As a competitor I've no problem if all the info is there a week beforehand, and this gives Michael or any of the other race organisers time to tweak their course details during the run up to the event.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

GMCI wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see the average age of an event organiser (no offence Wav1). It is too much.
    One of the things I had hoped would have come out of last year's events within CI was that more people would get actively involved, be it organising races, sportives and the like at Club level all the way through the system. We should not simply rely on those who have always done the arranging to put our cycling on a plate for us - for one reason those people will not be around forever, but also fresh minds have fresh ideas. The growth of cycling in Ireland has resulted in a lot more participants in the activity, and also a lot more talent that could be put to use to improve cycling for everyone. From what I've seen so far I do think more people are putting their hands up to help out but there remains plenty of scope for even more to do so

Beasty wrote: »
    One of the things I had hoped would have come out of last year's events within CI was that more people would get actively involved, be it organising races, sportives and the like at Club level all the way through the system. We should not simply rely on those who have always done the arranging to put our cycling on a plate for us - for one reason those people will not be around forever, but also fresh minds have fresh ideas. The growth of cycling in Ireland has resulted in a lot more participants in the activity, and also a lot more talent that could be put to use to improve cycling for everyone. From what I've seen so far I do think more people are putting their hands up to help out but there remains plenty of scope for even more to do so
    Room for lots more beasty lots more.from a membership of 20k and an ever increasing number of clubs,its still the usual suspects from what i see who are going to be promoting in 2014.Relative to 2013 there are 2 extra promoting clubs in 2014 from memory.One of them is a new event in Castlecomer Co Kilkenny in June which im really pleased about as its not a ''traditional area''.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Should there be a requirement for a club over a certain amount of members to put on at least one event during the year?

Plastik wrote: »
    Should there be a requirement for a club over a certain amount of members to put on at least one event during the year?
    Nice thought and deep down id like to see something along the lines,but in reality will never happen.something like a differential in affiliation fees for promoting/non promoting clubs would be nice also,but probably illegal or something.You know in my experience,its the smaller really committed clubs that do the business on the promoting front.Some with the largest membership run nothing,and when they do they are not great as the membership is that large that they are not tuned in to it at all.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Plastik wrote: »
    It also depends on how you define "event". Cycling clubs are not just about putting on Open road races. My club, for reasons largely beyond it's control, was unable to put on any open races last year. However it still promoted 2 leisure events and 3 Cyclocross races. Hopefully we'll be running open races again this year, but again there remain issues that need to be resolved before that can be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

GMCI wrote: »
    Wav1 is correct, just another of the volunteers who knows how things run.

Attached you should find also find the full Road Calendar as of mid December with relevant details.

If you think this has been heavy going using the online system so far, it is going to get heavier if the plans go the way they want them to.

While everyone should embrace the use of modern technology, I do feel, and have raised already the danger of trying to load everything onto the membership at once. Its too overwhelming for the majority.
    As indicated to the Ops Manager at the AGM, the average age is 39 within the CI membership. It would be interesting to see the average age of an event organiser (no offence Wav1). It is too much.

Fair play if you did this all on your own. Did you send it to Cycling Ireland? I'm sure they'd be well pleased to have it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Fair play if you did this all on your own. Did you send it to Cycling Ireland? I'm sure they'd be well pleased to have it as well.

he is from CI!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Nice thought and deep down id like to see something along the lines,but in reality will never happen.something like a differential in affiliation fees for promoting/non promoting clubs would be nice also,but probably illegal or something.You know in my experience,its the smaller really committed clubs that do the business on the promoting front.Some with the largest membership run nothing,and when they do they are not great as the membership is that large that they are not tuned in to it at all.

As a member of one of the largest clubs in the country, I do feel like we don't pull our weight in terms of open event holding - three at my count.

Smaller clubs seem to have a more active and committed core, whereas the larger clubs have lots of members at the fringe - people who just 'show up'. It's tough to motivate them to get involved - witness the turnout at the CI AGM every year, of 20,000 members. How do you draw people in, and get them to give something back to the clubs and communities which provide them with so much?

buffalo wrote: »
    As a member of one of the largest clubs in the country, I do feel like we don't pull our weight in terms of open event holding - three at my count.

Smaller clubs seem to have a more active and committed core, whereas the larger clubs have lots of members at the fringe - people who just 'show up'. It's tough to motivate them to get involved - witness the turnout at the CI AGM every year, of 40,000 members. How do you draw people in, and get them to give something back to the clubs and communities which provide them with so much?
    Hey buffalo where did the 40000 come from.touching 20k last i heard,but you're right re people just being on the fringes.We had our first post race club meeting/debriefing during the week and it took 3 hours.Concensus on the night was its getting more difficult year on year to put on good and safe events and as time moves on we should be all very grateful to those [17%]who continue to promote.Without the committment we're nothing.Off topic i know but i believe a very large crew have signed up to marshall at the giro.I wish we had them every weekend.

he is from CI!

like us all ....ish

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hey buffalo where did the 40000 come from.touching 20k last i heard,but you're right re people just being on the fringes.We had our first post race club meeting/debriefing during the week and it took 3 hours.Concensus on the night was its getting more difficult year on year to put on good and safe events and as time moves on we should be all very grateful to those [17%]who continue to promote.Without the committment we're nothing.Off topic i know but i believe a very large crew have signed up to marshall at the giro.I wish we had them every weekend.

It's ok Wav, with the inaction from CI on the problems with police stopping races in NCD there'll soon be no road racing on the calendar..
    Marshalling problem solved.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

we promote 1 event a year and we do it as a track event because the costs are more controllable and we couldnt get enough to marshal it.

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's ok Wav, with the inaction from CI on the problems with police stopping races in NCD there'll soon be no road racing on the calendar..
    Marshalling problem solved.........
    Head is in the sand in relation to that problem imo.Needs to be confronted head on and at least then there will be an outcome not uncertainty.

Needs to be confronted head on and at least then there will be an outcome not uncertainty.
    I would be interested to hear how you believe this could be confronted "head-on" given there is absolutely no uncertainty over the approach of the Gardai and Council in Fingal. The basic deal is you can race with either fully closed roads or with Gardai support (essentially operating rolling road closures) - neither of these options are viable for what are essentially small local club league races. I would add that I am aware of at least one other county in the area where concerns are being raised over the amount of racing taking part on some of their roads

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I would be interested to hear how you believe this could be confronted "head-on" given there is absolutely no uncertainty over the approach of the Gardai and Council in Fingal. The basic deal is you can race with either fully closed roads or with Gardai support (essentially operating rolling road closures) - neither of these options are viable for what are essentially small local club league races. I would add that I am aware of at least one other county in the area where concerns are being raised over the amount of racing taking part on some of their roads

Some leadership and demonstrated action from CI would help. Let those who suppose to represent racing in Ireland help to keep racing alive in an area which has a healthy cycling history and a lot of local people who want to be able to compete in the same county that they live in.

• Advertisement

The problem as I see it is that CI are probably trying to avoid any "contagion" to other areas (and to be clear I do not know what they may have been doing behind the scenes). I would add that Triathlon Ireland (who I believe count the current Sports Minister amongst their numbers) have certainly made unsuccessful attempts to change the approach of the local Gardai. At this stage Open races seem to be largely unaffected because they are large and infrequent enough to be able to gain the support of the local Gardai, although I suspect the Balbriggan weekend next year will need to be done under rolling or full road closures

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The problem as I see it is that CI are probably trying to avoid any "contagion" to other areas (and to be clear I do not know what they may have been doing behind the scenes). I would add that Triathlon Ireland (who I believe count the current Sports Minister amongst their numbers) have certainly made unsuccessful attempts to change the approach of the local Gardai. At this stage Open races seem to be largely unaffected because they are large and infrequent enough to be able to gain the support of the local Gardai, although I suspect the Balbriggan weekend next year will need to be done under rolling or full road closures

The head in the sand approach, if that is what they are taking, won't solve anything. If they are working in the background, super, but I have heard nothing about it. I don't have an inside track, but usually you hear what is going on if any effort is being made. I have precisely zero confidence in CI at this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Stamullen GP went through Naul and spent getting on for half a lap in NCD, surely they are beholden to the same rules as Swords and Balbriggan?

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Stamullen GP went through Naul and spent getting on for half a lap in NCD, surely they are beholden to the same rules as Swords and Balbriggan?
    I have no idea of what arrangements were in place for the Stamullen GP, or indeed the Pat and Monie Nolan race from Balscadden on the Saturday of the Stamullen weekend which probably had even more of the lap in Fingal. It's possible be that the Gardai agreed that the whole weekend of events would be dealt with out of Co Meath rather than Fingal

(.... anyway, I'm not speaking to you after what you did to me today:mad:

:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

If CI consider the term "contagion" (I know that's your term but the point is the same) to be appropriate to a sport they are supposed to nurture then we may as well stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Room for lots more beasty lots more.from a membership of 20k and an ever increasing number of clubs,its still the usual suspects from what i see who are going to be promoting in 2014.Relative to 2013 there are 2 extra promoting clubs in 2014 from memory.One of them is a new event in Castlecomer Co Kilkenny in June which im really pleased about as its not a ''traditional area''.

Morning wav1, buffalo, morana, Beasty, GMCI et al....

Re. Deenside Cup race, Castlecomer, Kilkenny (1st June) that you mention above wav1...

I am "helping" Deenside Wheelers with the organising of this new race (well, I think I'm helping anyhow, maybe I'm actually hindering!!) and with each meeting of the race committee there are as many questions answered and problems solved, as there are new questions thrown up.... and I'm hoping I can get some advice here regarding some of those ... ok?

1. Numbers for riders who are mid-upgrade (and have evidence of this) / "forget" their numbers on race day (but have their CI card)... these are pink, equivalent to old ODL numbers, yes? (I know we can't actually give out ODL licences on the day) and these numbers are only for the 2 categories of riders I've listed above, yes?

- how do I get these numbers? (yes, I guess I should contact CI, but I just came upon this thread and thought I seek some advice here first... y'know, so I'd sound less stupid when I contact CI...)

- how many of these numbers does an average Open Race (our program is for 4 races: A+/A1/A2,& A3/Jr, & A4, & W) program need at this time of the year?

Thanks in advance for any info/help/advice!!

PS. I WILL have other questions
    PPS. I've just spent 24hours on-call so am off to bed, so take your time getting back to me, and don't be offended if I don't get back here for a bit :)

Beasty i mean confronted by Cycling Ireland.They have to take on the leadership role in all of this on behalf of the membership in the affected areas.At least if the governing body were seen to be pro active it might stir a few things up.

Morning wav1, buffalo, morana, Beasty, GMCI et al....

Re. Deenside Cup race, Castlecomer, Kilkenny (1st June) that you mention above wav1...

I am "helping" Deenside Wheelers with the organising of this new race (well, I think I'm helping anyhow, maybe I'm actually hindering!!) and with each meeting of the race committee there are as many questions answered and problems solved, as there are new questions thrown up.... and I'm hoping I can get some advice here regarding some of those ... ok?

1. Numbers for riders who are mid-upgrade (and have evidence of this) / "forget" their numbers on race day (but have their CI card)... these are pink, equivalent to old ODL numbers, yes? (I know we can't actually give out ODL licences on the day) and these numbers are only for the 2 categories of riders I've listed above, yes?

- how do I get these numbers? (yes, I guess I should contact CI, but I just came upon this thread and thought I seek some advice here first... y'know, so I'd sound less stupid when I contact CI...)

- how many of these numbers does an average Open Race (our program is for 4 races: A+/A1/A2,& A3/Jr, & A4, & W) program need at this time of the year?

Thanks in advance for any info/help/advice!!

PS. I WILL have other questions
    PPS. I've just spent 24hours on-call so am off to bed, so take your time getting back to me, and don't be offended if I don't get back here for a bit :)
    Comms will /should have numbers to give out to licence holders who may have forgotten their actual back numbers etc on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Thanks wav1 !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement