Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

first time crying since starting my meds properly in march/April
    horrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I take back what I said yesterday
    Today was the worst day I've ever had.
    I'm in a deep depression that suddenly engulfed me like a wave
    It feels like I'm drowning

Same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Smile though ur heart is aching
    Smile even though it's breaking
    When there are clouds in the sky
    You'll get by.

damn such a simple song, hitting my heart tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

'After all this has passed, I still will remain
    After I've cried my last, there'll be beauty from pain
    Though it won't be today, someday I'll hope again
    And there'll be beauty from pain
    You will bring beauty from my pain'

How's everyone doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Had a full blown panic attack while out walking today. So overwhelmed with life at the moment. Couldn't breathe and my throat just closed up :( Scary as hell. In a way I was kind of relieved to feel some emotion though, I feel like I'm in a trance most of the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

No idea where to go from here. I am more or less homeless not in the most awful sense but I have to rely on the kindness of others, my pride has taken a massive hit. Everything seems so simple to other people I get criticized and it is implied that I'm not employing my best efforts to get out of the situation. Other people seem unable to empathise unless they find themselves in a similar situation. I know I'm not happy here but there is no other choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Can you contact Threshold perhaps? I was briefly homeless myself, and relying on other people at the time made my mindset worse, so went to Simon charity instead who helped out. One step at a time..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Can you contact Threshold perhaps? I was briefly homeless myself, and relying on other people at the time made my mindset worse, so went to Simon charity instead who helped out. One step at a time..

Thanks for the advice. When I said not in the most 'awful sense' I meant that I'm not under threat of being on the streets but I still have to live with others until I'm am financially secure enough to move out. Those charities do tremendous work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I hope it's something you can rectify soon, relying on friends isn't always good for the self-esteem, though that might just be me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Relatively okay last two days. Now I have to work and I'm struggling to get out of bed. I was feeling so decent yesterday decided not bother with the go like I planned. I really hope I don't have to go go me early again. :/ I even had a panic attack in a dream. I am so ****ed up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

franz-kafka-quote-my-fear-is-my-substance-and-probably-the-best-part.jpg

turn your anxiety into something positive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Roquentin wrote: »
    franz-kafka-quote-my-fear-is-my-substance-and-probably-the-best-part.jpg

turn your anxiety into something positive

Fear and Anxiety are different.No???

shezer wrote: »
    Fear and Anxiety are different.No???

well if you know kafka, his fear was the anxiety he felt in life, particularly about who he was.

if you could rewind the domino's backwards from anxiety, you would find often that fear was the first domino to fall. Anxiety comes from flight or fight response and the fight or flight comes from fear. What happens with man is the mind mixes up situations where it shouldnt feel anxiety, which means the mind is appropriating fear to a situation it should not. often this anxiety comes from a deep rooted insecurity of oneself, which is what kafka had. he saw others as threats, but only because he saw himself as weak. No fear, no anxiety

edit: if you notice as well he has the word fear in quotes. he is trying to emphasize his anxiety. The Trial is really the corner stone of how he portrays this anxiety. A man is arrested for a crime he does not commit and is flaunted before the public. Basically the world and its people attack him, but he knows not what for. Its a brilliant metaphor (although hard to read book) for the anxiety individuals feel when silhouetted against the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Relevant lyrics right now:
    Hold on, baby, you're losing it
    The water's high, you're jumping into it
    And letting go... and no one knows
    That you cry, but you don't tell anyone
    That you might not be the golden one
    And you're tied together with a smile
    But you're coming undone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Anyone in here practice meditation? Been reading up about it and keen to give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone in here practice meditation? Been reading up about it and keen to give it a try
    In one way it is a bit like exercise / running / going to the gym / learning to play a musical instrument - for it to work, you have to keep at it. :)

A simple method I find very effective:

Sit comfortably somewhere quiet. Close your eyes. Breathe naturally but maybe a bit slower than usual. Use your diaphragm (this bit is important). Counter-intuitively, when breathing in (your belly goes out if you are using your diaphragm) mentally say the word 'out'. Then, when breathing out, mentally say the word 'in'. So, when belly goes out, think 'out' and when your belly goes in, think 'in'.

Thoughts will intrude, always, for everyone. When you notice this, just return to your breathing, silently saying 'out' and 'in' as you breathe in and out.

The above paragraph is the important one! Don't be discouraged by the distraction, just return your focus to your breathing. This bit is very important - even crucial.

Ten to twenty minutes twice a day is often recommended, but even a minute or less when you can is great. You don't even have to close your eyes sometimes! You can do it in work, on the bus, walking down the street, waiting in a queue, etc.

A single cycle of slow(er) breathing using your diaphragm can work wonders in helping you to relax.

Breathing using your diaphragm is the thing. You can do it after getting into bed to sleep, and it can help a lot in falling asleep.

As I said above, keep at it. Don't be discouraged if it is difficult at first.

Edit: If doing the 10/20 minute version, loosen anything tight around your waist so your diaphragm can do its job.

Diaphragmatic breathing is what we should use all the time tbh - unless we need a major inhalation for some reason, in which case use the upper (think rib cage) muscles as well.

Non-diaphragmatic breathing does not promote relaxation, imo.

Using your diaphragm to breathe, and the benefits it brings, are well worth the effort - again imo.

Also added: the sentence in bold above.

Not your ornery onager

i do cycling. has a similar effect. just go off on a fine day at your own pace, down by lakes. very nice. trust me you should try it. Its a bit more difficult to find a good day during the winter, so i stick to short 15km journeys. but during the summer i would do 70/80 at a time

This hot Sticky weather is driving me insane.

handbagmad wrote: »
    This hot Sticky weather is driving me insane.

find it hard to sleep alright. can only imagine what qatar is like without air con

• Advertisement

Breathing so hard today..so shallow..a midst of anxiety over me. Got to take the first step towards freedom again and never look back (exercise..diet..exercise..diet)

Went for a run/jog/walk today. Good god, I thought I was done for at one stage. I'm off out for another walk later. I'm going to aim for a walk a day and see how that goes. Meds are fine.

I find it easier in the autumn / winter. No heat baking me and crowds getting in the way (sorry, but some people are just like buzzing bees standing around doing not much at all)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Rogaine2

well if you know kafka, his fear was the anxiety he felt in life, particularly about who he was.

if you could rewind the domino's backwards from anxiety, you would find often that fear was the first domino to fall. Anxiety comes from flight or fight response and the fight or flight comes from fear. What happens with man is the mind mixes up situations where it shouldnt feel anxiety, which means the mind is appropriating fear to a situation it should not. often this anxiety comes from a deep rooted insecurity of oneself, which is what kafka had. he saw others as threats, but only because he saw himself as weak. No fear, no anxiety

edit: if you notice as well he has the word fear in quotes. he is trying to emphasize his anxiety. The Trial is really the corner stone of how he portrays this anxiety. A man is arrested for a crime he does not commit and is flaunted before the public. Basically the world and its people attack him, but he knows not what for. Its a brilliant metaphor (although hard to read book) for the anxiety individuals feel when silhouetted against the world

What is the name of the book?

fr336 wrote: »
    I find it easier in the autumn / winter. No heat baking me and crowds getting in the way (sorry, but some people are just like buzzing bees standing around doing not much at all)

:pac: A picture of aimless robots walking into each other just popped into my head

Rogaine2 wrote: »
    What is the name of the book?

The Trial. it serves as a metaphor for such and such an anxiety that i mentioned. Its not an easy book to read. some of camus's books which share similar themes (the stranger) are much easier to read.

:pac: A picture of aimless robots walking into each other just popped into my head

If you're not near the sea I just can't stand too hot / sticky weather. I love sun with a nice breeze but that is rare where I am, it's just plain mugginess. On and let's not start on the fat blokes going topless..:eek::o

fr336 wrote: »
    If you're not near the sea I just can't stand too hot / sticky weather. I love sun with a nice breeze but that is rare where I am, it's just plain mugginess. On and let's not start on the fat blokes going topless..:eek::o

have to admit i share similar views. was asked to go over to spain this summer and turned it down, purely because i cant hack that heat. Ok in the day time you can be in the pool, but ****ing hell at night it gets serious, even with air con.

have to admit i love the winter. escpecially the cool summer days that merge into the cool starry nights

have to admit i share similar views. was asked to go over to spain this summer and turned it down, purely because i cant hack that heat. Ok in the day time you can be in the pool, but ****ing hell at night it gets serious, even with air con.

have to admit i love the winter. escpecially the cool summer days that merge into the cool starry nights

There is a lovely breeze in Lanzarote at night. Mainland Spain is a nightmare at night

Yeah I feel from here on in the weather has lots of character about it too...it just feels more interesting :o:D

• Advertisement

tis roasting alright tonight lads and ladies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement