Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone from down south living in Belfast?

Options
  • 11-11-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Here four months now and miss people who sound like me!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Well I'm from Galway, so I don't sound like you!! :P

In East Belfast, have been living up here for about 5 years now...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lissaH

Im in north Belfast. 5 years WOW dont think ill make it that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Just missing Limerick or what problems are you having?

lissaH wrote: »
    Im in north Belfast. 5 years WOW dont think ill make it that long!

It's not a bad spot once you get your head round it... Have lived in far worse!

ya miss home a bit and Friends and just stupid things like people understanding what im saying sometimes and me understanding what other people are saying(im getting better but get thrown every now and again!!) and how everyone gets angry when they are drunk not very happy like me!!!! In terms of north belfast im in between the shore road and the Antrim road and I havnt had any problems so far a few odd looks in my Irish reg but thats it........ So im Happy enough with where im living, Love my job so basically its mainly the social aspect..... I spend every weekend in with my cat( and yes I know how sad that sounds) Seems to be just a bit harder to make friends when your this age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

Hi Im 27 moving up soon in 3 weeks time when i do fancy meeting for a cofee :)

Time for a Boards Belfast Beers methinks!

Coffees, Beers, Vodkas all sound great!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

one of our neighbours off the antrim road is from tralee

she's an aul bitch though!

Anyone fancy a jar on Sat? Sat is pencilled in for the Shopping day, so I think I'll be needing a few pints of christmas cheer! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

hey guys, galway lad here. Thinking of moving up there with my wife and considering an offer. What do you think is the minimum net income that a couple could live on up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

depends on how well you want to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Did Belfast beers ever get organised? I'm from Wexford and have lived in Belfast for three years. I'd definitely be up for a meet up!

Nothing organised, but would be well up for a few jars some night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

From Wexford, living up here over 4 years (Christ!). Should definitely organise a southerners beers night at some stage... And revive this forum!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

onrail wrote: »
    From Wexford, living up here over 4 years (Christ!). Should definitely organise a southerners beers night at some stage... And revive this forum!!

It only needs reviving because the majority of posts are where can I buy fireworks/recommend a hotel/bar/area to move to rather than the usual chit chat that goes on on the other Regional forums. The challenge is yours if you want to accept it onrail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

pow wow wrote: »
    It only needs reviving because the majority of posts are where can I buy fireworks/recommend a hotel/bar/area to move to rather than the usual chit chat that goes on on the other Regional forums. The challenge is yours if you want to accept it onrail :D

Sorry...no offence meant! As you say, its not due to the quality of the moderator!!

IS_a_Class wrote: »
    hey guys, galway lad here. Thinking of moving up there with my wife and considering an offer. What do you think is the minimum net income that a couple could live on up there?

Hey sorry I didn't right back haven't been on this! My boyfriend isn't working at the moment Im on 25k and i can survive I have all the essentials! Tax is a lot higher up here so consider that as well. As long as your not living malone road or dead city centre you will get rent for between 500-600 for two bedrooms maybe even three. If your a smoker they are not any cheaper. Lived in dublin for two years on 27k euro but had no boyfriend to look after and struggled alot more if thats any help!

Also wages are quiet terrible kinda got a shock. Im only three exams from being a chartered accountant and some places up here only pay 18500 for some on in that role.

Aye, missed that one myself...

We have a 3bed in east Belfast for 500 per month... Nice enough area, no bothers and minimal flegs...

General cost of living seems cheaper (it's over 10 years since I lived down south so it's hard to compare directly), though food is more pricey up here. Rent is a lot less, rates are usually included in the rent. We spend about £1k/month between rent, food, oil, lekky and other household expenses (doesn't include car costs though)...

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Hey sorry I didn't right back haven't been on this! My boyfriend isn't working at the moment Im on 25k and i can survive I have all the essentials! Tax is a lot higher up here so consider that as well. As long as your not living malone road or dead city centre you will get rent for between 500-600 for two bedrooms maybe even three.

HI

I'm considering an offer of £25k for a position in the north. possibly Belfast, Newry or Armagh.
    Can I ask what the take home would be on that as it's a real problem trying to find out.
    What sort of disposable income would I have at the end of a month? I'm only considering the job as there is nothing here and need to keep the bank happy (if that's ever possible!)

• Advertisement

Thanks a million. I did a tax check online and they said £1669 so in and around that it seems.

Alas, I do have to pay off loans :(

In a bind as to whether it would pay me to be there.

seanaway wrote: »
    Thanks a million. I did a tax check online and they said £1669 so in and around that it seems.

Alas, I do have to pay off loans :(

In a bind as to whether it would pay me to be there.

Ah yes I have a pension so thats prob where the other 60 is.......

Hmmmm it is very different up here but I do find your money goes a bit further up here........

I worked in Dublin for two years before this on 27k and always felt like I had no money at all but here while im struggling by the end of the month I can make my bills comfortably with one trip to Limerick a month and a couple of wee treat nights during the month as well.

Ah yes I have a pension so thats prob where the other 60 is.......

Hmmmm it is very different up here but I do find your money goes a bit further up here........

I worked in Dublin for two years before this on 27k and always felt like I had no money at all but here while im struggling by the end of the month I can make my bills comfortably with one trip to Limerick a month and a couple of wee treat nights during the month as well.
    Thanks again. I have to factor in a trip down to the south coast each weekend as my other half will be staying put for the time being.

I'll bear all this in mind whendeciding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭que pasa

I'm thinking of moving north for cheaper accommodation. Is that a good idea?

The rents in Dublin are ridiculous at the moment. I just got back from a viewing for a room share in Milltown.

37 people responded...37!!!

Well the accommodation is definitely cheaper... Really depends on your work situation I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭que pasa

Treadhead wrote: »
    Well the accommodation is definitely cheaper... Really depends on your work situation I suppose.

I'd imagine Belfast is in a far better place at the moment. Wages probably not as high but definitely more opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

If i speak honestly, i would rather live in Iran than NI. Been up there twice and i didnt get a good vibe off the place. Dont get me wrong have met some lovely people from NI over the years down south but living there is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

mg1982 wrote: »
    If i speak honestly, i would rather live in Iran than NI. Been up there twice and i didnt get a good vibe off the place. Dont get me wrong have met some lovely people from NI over the years down south but living there is not for me.

so you're judging an entire country on your two visits to one or two places

way to sound ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The vide could be solely been down to your pereception, rather than anything real. Just sayin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

I live in South Belfast and I could almost guarantee it's a better place to live than 99 percent of the Republic.

Advertisement