Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On low-carb plan; feeling hungry.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,671 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But the current implementation of low carb is indeed a fad, its used a lazy tool for weight loss. There is nothing wrong with carbs as they are excellent sources of energy. Low carb gets called a fad when its pushed out with rules such as "eat your carbs only in the morning", "all cereals are bad" etc.
    "Low carbs" may be unduly specific. But it may also be a useful discipline for someone who is seeking to reduce their overall caloric intake and who does, in fact, get most of their excess calories from a higher intake of carbs than is nutritionally optimal. Which would would be a common situation in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As an aside, here's an interesting article on low-carb diets from SigmaNutrition.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Peregrinus wrote: »
    "Low carbs" may be unduly specific. But it may also be a useful discipline for someone who is seeking to reduce their overall caloric intake and who does, in fact, get most of their excess calories from a higher intake of carbs than is nutritionally optimal. Which would would be a common situation in Ireland.

Yes exactly, as I said its used a lazy tool for weight loss. Far better for the client to be educated and control their diet themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks so much everyone for all your tips, advice and suggestions.
    It's really helpful as like I said, this is a new phase in my life, and education is key.
    Really great tips and advice; I take it all on board :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The end of my post was snipped off above.
    My current weight is 88kg and before I joined the gym, I did zero exercise and was probably the laziest person you could meet.
    At 88kg you are burning at least 1950 per day, before exercise. Eating 1000 is too little. More fats and protein, aim for 1500 and adjust from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yes he's a personal trainer with a whole list of qualifications.

I can't go eating new potatoes, pulses, quinoa and other carbs when I feel like it.
    I can only have carbs in the morning or after a workout.
    That may sound restrictive to you, but I'm trying to follow a plan set for me so I can reach a weightloss goal for this week.

I'm feeling hungry in the evening. I make sure I've enough food on my plate for dinner, so this shouldn't happen probably.

My diet before was alright but not great; I cooked everything from scratch with lots of veg and nothing came from jars or packets.

But I did no exercise and snacked on crap.

"A whole list of qualifications" Sounds like they have makey-uppy qualifications from make-uppy places. Theres plenty of PTs aren't knowledgeable about nutrition or workouts. To become a "qualified" PT, isn't particularly difficult so any eejit can become one really. So just because he's a "qualified" PT, I wouldn't recommend you to do everything he says. Most PTs are chancers imo.

It also sounds like they're a rubbish trainer also. You said:
    No, he hasn't mentioned calories.
    He gave me an info sheet listing carby foods, proteins, plant protein foods, dairy, vegetables, etc and basically I choose foods from that sheet, to eat.
    Of course I can choose my own sources or proteins/veg/fruit, etc, but the sheet gives me a rough idea.

Basically it can be carbs in the morning, protein and vegetables at lunch, snack on almonds if needed, then protein and vegetables at dinner.
    I've to drink a load of water too.

He handed you a sheet with info on foods? Sounds like the blind leading the blind. He sounds like a chancer that couldn't give crap about you to be honest. If he was knowledgeable about nutrition he would have went through a sample diet with you or at least have given you calories and (Protein/Carb/Fat) targets rather than ignoring them and leaving you picking from a sheet. I suppose he's not qualified to. Then he set weight loss goals? Does he expect a certain amount of weight to fall of you by choosing what you want to eat and not tracking calories. If you miss your weekly weight loss goals I wouldn't worry blame you.

Id recommend you just use your PT to show you how to operate the machines in the gym rather than for diet advice.

By exercising and not snacking on crap you will lose fat intuitively. I tried a low carb diet when I was younger and having tried lose fat with eating healthy including carbs better, I think it's an unnecessary and ineffective way to go about it. A female in my family lost a shocking amount of weight recently, just from exercising regularly,cutting out the snacking on crap, and portion control so stick to that anyway and the fat will drop.

I found low carb grand when I wasn't exercising much but I need it when I am doing a lot of workouts. I think carbs around workout time sounds fine to be honest
    Other than that I'll go with what everyone else said. Eat a bit of avocado, have some eggs with you porridge, have a small bit of oil with your chicken, eat more and don't starve yourself
    good luck

Thanks so much.

I plan on working out 3/4 times a week so you're right...I am going to need carbs to sustain this.
    I didn't mean for my original post to come across as if I was going to avoid carbs completely.

If anything, I'm dying to get stuck into a sandwich/toast/gimmieallthecarbs lol, but obviously I can't go mad either.

Every one of you who've replied to me...you've no idea how much you've contributed to my current frame of mind, and it's for the better.

I realise the importance of carbs and not to be afraid of them.
    I've had a splitting headache all day and I'm exhausted.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

FYI, thats complex carbs fussy onion is talking about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

If you ever need advice or just some moral support feel free to PM me! I'd strongly recommend increasing your protein intake around workout time as opposed to your carbs, or alternate on different days. Always change it up so your body has to work harder to keep up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    If you ever need advice or just some moral support feel free to PM me! I'd strongly recommend increasing your protein intake around workout time as opposed to your carbs, or alternate on different days. Always change it up so your body has to work harder to keep up ;)

:(

No requirement to eat protein around workout time, no need to "change it up" to make your body work harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Future Primitive

Half a can of tuna? What kind of plan concludes that that is somehow optimal!?!

No requirement to eat protein around workout time, no need to "change it up" to make your body work harder.

After, not around. Mis-type. And yea, one been told your body gets complacent with the same routine and that can slow down weight loss - so make slight adjustments to your diet every now and then. Sorry if. You don't agree with this.

*i've been, not one been. It was a dietician who told me that, just FTR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's no real difference when you eat protein, whether it's before during or after your workout.

Half a can of tuna? What kind of plan concludes that that is somehow optimal!?!

Ah no that was just me. I didn't want a whole can...I've never eaten a whole one, they're huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Future Primitive

Ah no that was just me. I didn't want a whole can...I've never eaten a whole one, they're huge!

Ah. Maybe you're using half a large can. I use the small ones. And half of one of those is pitiful. :)

Hi everyone, just thought I'd post a little update on how I'm doing.

I've done a lot more research in recent days and I think I've finally gotten my head around the whole thing now.

For the past few days I've had what some people call "carb flu", where I felt tired and had headaches and felt my brain was foggy.
    Today, I feel brand new.

My IBS hasn't flared up at all, I have no heartburn anymore (I used to get heartburn any time I bent down, it was hellish), my lower back pain is gone (!?), I feel I've more energy and I feel generally brighter and more positive.
    My daily food looks something like this now:

Breakfast: Either an egg and toast or Greek yogurt with fruit and nuts.
    Lunch: Large salad with either chicken or some fish or I might have a wholegrain sandwich.
    Snacks: Almonds, cashews, fruit and Greek yogurt or an egg.
    Dinner: Home-made meals, such as SpagBol, curry, chilli, etc with veg.

I feel so much better now and I really don't feel deprived, which I did feel the other day.
    I'm really starting to like what I'm eating and my body feels so much better now.

I'm not afraid of carbs anymore and I'm definitely incorporating them in my day, especially after a workout.

Even if I never lost weight this way, this way of eating is something I'm going to stick to because of how well I feel.
    And I don't think I could ever have said before that I felt 100% well all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I don't think you would go through carb flu when you're still eating a significant amount of carbs. Pretty sure you would only go through carb flu when your body is adjusting to not using carbs as fuel but it's pretty clear yours still is. I'm of the opinion that it was something else at play... sugar cravings, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance..

Either way good to hear you're setting into the new lifestyle! :)

Danger781 wrote: »
    I don't think you would go through carb flu when you're still eating a significant amount of carbs. Pretty sure you would only go through carb flu when your body is adjusting to not using carbs as fuel but it's pretty clear yours still is. I'm of the opinion that it was something else at play... sugar cravings, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance..

Either way good to hear you're setting into the new lifestyle! :)

You're right, it could have been any of those things, but whatever it is, I'm feeling great now and I'm glad I feel good because it's spurring me on to be the healthiest person I can be.

I should be fit and happy and enjoying life and before, I didn't have motivation or determination.
    You couldn't get me off the sofa of an evening.

Now, I pack my gym bag like a kid starting school and I look forward to it now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 myszak

First of all - well done! Lots of people would only say they want to loose weight but they wouldn't put too much effort into it. So well done for signing up to the gym and improving your diet!
    I don't have any qualifications in nutrition, but I am interested in the subject. So low-carb diet should help you loose weight. You will feel very hungry if you will not eat enough of good fat though. I think I would eliminate all of your gluten/wheat/grains first. Give up bread, pasta, anything like that and see how you feel.

Advertisement