Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

foam roller

• 03-10-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

hi i want to get myself a foam roller. i used one in the gym before and found it great . but don't know what make it was. if any one has used a good one could they let me know the make of it thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

http://www.mcsport.ie/the-grid-foam-rollers/p-tpt-grdopd.html?gclid=CMjx0Yvo-rkCFQbJtAodXh4AlA

This is the one I use myself, others might know somewhere to get it a bit cheaper

The rumble roller is fairly popular as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

avfc1874 wrote: »
    hi i want to get myself a foam roller. i used one in the gym before and found it great . but don't know what make it was. if any one has used a good one could they let me know the make of it thanks

Whatever one you do go for, get a good solid one. I've found the ones that are just foam end up a bit squashed in the middle after a while of using them and they seem to be less effective.

A birra wavin, wha'!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Grid's awesome, but pricey as hell.

Tony made me some for my new place, they're a good bit firmer and look more durable than the grid too... www.facebook.com/pages/Foamrollersbydesign/595722267113242

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I got this one, mainly as I have an argos close to where I work and it was a bit of an impulse buy. http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9102789/Trail/searchtext%3EFOAM+ROLLER.htm

The insert bit is fair useless, and I haven't used the stick much, but the actual roller is pretty good. It's pcv pipe wrapped in foam, so I'm hoping that means it will last a bit longer than all-foam.

It's also not as wide as a regular roller which is handy if you have less floor-space, but you have to be a bit careful not to fall off it sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

One of the lads on the football team got this one and there isn't any noticeable difference between it and my trigger point grid roller.

First class ticket on the pain train...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

big thing is how long the new ones that have come on the market last.

Bought about 15 rollers from a certain supplier a year ago and almost ALL cracked within 3 months.

trigger point rollers are great and have used the one Hanley mentioned daily for the last 6 weeks and no sign what so ever of breakdown so thumbs up from me.

Transform wrote: »
    big thing is how long the new ones that have come on the market last.

Bought about 15 rollers from a certain supplier a year ago and almost ALL cracked within 3 months.

trigger point rollers are great and have used the one Hanley mentioned daily for the last 6 weeks and no sign what so ever of breakdown so thumbs up from me.

If the supplier you got your ones from is Dublin based and near to the end of a ring, the Lonsdale one linked looks like it comes from the same factory so i'd have my concerns about the quality of it.

The Grid is amazing, but outrageously pricey.

Tony's/FoamRollerByDesign's product is cheap as chips and built to last.

Hanley wrote: »

Is it possible to get those as a one-off or does he just supply to businesses?

Is it possible to get those as a one-off or does he just supply to businesses?

I'm afraid to say anything now incase anyone gets stroppy because I'm "advertisting" :rolleyes:

To the best of my knowledge he does one offs.

Best bet is to get in touch via FB; http://www.facebook.com/pages/Foamrollersbydesign/595722267113242?fref=ts

I'm afraid to say anything now incase anyone gets stroppy because I'm "advertisting" :rolleyes:

Best bet is to get in touch via FB; http://www.facebook.com/pages/Foamrollersbydesign/595722267113242?fref=ts

Don't worry, advertising doesn't work on me anyway.

Well, it did once: the Coca Cola ad with the ice cubes dancing around in the glass as it's poured in. Really made me want it. But I can't stand the stuff so I didn't buy it :D

Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

If the supplier you got your ones from is Dublin based and near to the end of a ring, the Lonsdale one linked looks like it comes from the same factory so i'd have my concerns about the quality of it.

Didn't want to say anything but I think I know who ye are referring to and I purchased that same foam roller and it cracked while I was rolling my IT band (I swear, I'm not a fat c**t :D), I was so pissed off :mad:
    As with all things in life, but especially Health and Fitness related, you gets what you pays for. Get a cheap one for €20 odd and you'll have to get 3 of them or you can just get a Grid which seems to be one of the best around (I'm off down to get one at lunch)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Yup that was the supplier and exchanged them twice (cracked twice) before I asked for full refund. No problem refunding

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sea The Starz

scrap piece of pvc pipe ftw

scrap piece of pvc pipe ftw

The birra wavin is no good on wooden floors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

+1 for the grid. bought mine 3+yrs ago and use it regularly ever sicne, no sign of needing to replace it yet. you should be able to find it for <50euro if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Argos have a cheap, very hard grey one for e15. Good solid one that hasn't changed shape after a month of daily use by 2 people.

Also, came quite long with a grooved section in the middle to make room for vertebrae, so I chopped it in 2 and got 2 foam rollers from it, each being the size of one of those grid ones.

Fits in the gym bag no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Don't worry, advertising doesn't work on me anyway.

Well, it did once: the Coca Cola ad with the ice cubes dancing around in the glass as it's poured in. Really made me want it. But I can't stand the stuff so I didn't buy it :D

Thanks for the tip.

He also has an ad on adverts.ie Sound fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

http://www.runjunk.com/the-grid-foam-roller.aspx

I got mine from this website and saved a few quid...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

I bought a rumble roller from d8 fitness - pricey, but is great and will last forever.

Probably not good for first time rollers as it's quite stiff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

The rollers are made with materials that are both durable and very very strong.
    They wont warp or crack over time irrigardless of the amount of use,or absorb water/sweat.
    For now its mostly fitness clubs and hockey teams buying them.
    There will be a few sizes availabe from 18cm to over 1meter in length and a few in between.(I can make the roller any lenght diameter or density).--bespoke--
    I will have prices set in stone for commercial and private sales set in place in a week or so.
    And a website of course.
    I use adverts to shift the unsold units left over from larger sales.

• Advertisement
Advertisement