Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crossfit ireland vs crossfit dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I believe that particular gym costs half as much as the numbers quoted here, and the monthly dues are all-in. That includes a range of classes, programming, monitoring/testing and personal training. The only thing you pay extra for are seminars by outside people.

Why do you feel the need to point out what you get for the price at this gym, but that it isn't necessary to point out what you get for the price at a CrossFit facility? (You are underlining my original point here, if you feel the need to say this, surely its only fair to say this when commenting on prices at CFD)

For someone in my position both CrossFit Dublin and The gym that everyone knows I am talking about are out of my price range, so the variance in price is very much irrelevant to my point. *I am not in anyway equating the services supplied by Crossfit Gyms and anyother Gym*

See my point was that using the same facts in isolation (i.e. "Its too expensive", "you can get the information online") you create an implication.
    When you read those 3 sentences ( ignoring context & the rest of the point) you decided that the great range of services supplied at this other Gym needed to be mentioned, which is basically caused by this implication. Which proves my point.

I felt that it is unfair to state those naked facts about CrossFit Gyms without stating the services that go with.

Get me?
    I'm not the best at stating things simply.

Poncherello, Its nearly ready I believe.
    Malahide road area.
    I have met the guy running it and he is a really good bloke.

G86 wrote: »
    I haven't done a class, but I have gone through an induction and had membership options explained to me, and also seen classes taking place. With regards to pricing, I'm talking about the 2 affiliates - both of which charge extra for personal coaching. I'm not saying they shouldn't do this - I'm simply stating a fact.

And that's cool. I figured that you were criticising them for it, sorry if I'm wrong.
    G86 wrote: »
    Can't say I agree. Jackie Skellys charge €60 a month for a 6 week review and then you're left to your own devices. The other 'coached private gym' you're talking about charges only €20 more for constant coaching in which you're coached through every session - one on one when needed. Crossfit charges over twice that for group sessions without unlimited gym use, and no private coaching.

Again, I'm not saying they shouldn't charge this or that I don't see the value in it - I'm simply saying that there are cheaper alternatives also available.

Thats sweet too.
    But realistically for some people that extra €20 (€25 in my case) a month is too much of an outlay.
    Again, I'm not comparing what you get here.
    I'm just saying that the same facts can be stated for your gym and in doing so create a false impression of decreased value. And in both cases I would feel it was wrong and pick a poster up on it.

I am an equal opportunities pedantic dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

afaik CFI (Sandyford) is around 100 a month for an unlimited number of sessions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

afaik CFI (Sandyford) is around 100 a month for an unlimited number of sessions.

You're miles off.

Anyway... has anyone else noticed the truly spectacular irony at play here?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Hanley wrote: »

Nope! What do you find so ironic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Hanley wrote: »
    You're miles off.

Wow - thats what it was this time last year.

Is there anyone from either of the Crossfit locations on the forum who can answer the various questions regarding the fees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

peteclarke wrote: »
    take your cfi t shirt off which as its wednesday is probably blue (cringe) and just look at the cost which is the only thing i have a problem with. ( and blue shirt wednesday )

'Blue shirt Wednesday'?
    It was my understanding that the wearing of t-shirts was prohibited during crossfit workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to point out what you get for the price at this gym, but that it isn't necessary to point out what you get for the price at a CrossFit facility? (You are underlining my original point here, if you feel the need to say this, surely its only fair to say this when commenting on prices at CFD)
    I'm just saying what you get for the price you pay. You are welcome to give a breakdown of what Crossfit offer for their monthly dues if you want. That would be great actually, as then people could make an informed decision about where they want to go.
    For someone in my position both CrossFit Dublin and The gym that everyone knows I am talking about are out of my price range, so the variance in price is very much irrelevant to my point.
    Your personal budget is of no concern to me really. Somebody quoted a figure and said that it wasn't too expensive. I replied that yes it is too expensive (from a buyers perspective) as you can get the same thing (maybe better) for less if you shop around.

See my point was that using the same facts in isolation (i.e. "Its too expensive", "you can get the information online") you create an implication.
    I never stated or otherwise implied these that the availability of the information elsewhere had any bearing on the value of their service. Don't put words in my mouth.
    When you read those 3 sentences ( ignoring context & the rest of the point) you decided that the great range of services supplied at this other Gym needed to be mentioned, which is basically caused by this implication. Which proves my point.
    I'm sorry, I don't follow, which three sentences?
    I felt that it is unfair to state those naked facts about CrossFit Gyms without stating the services that go with.
    Then give me counter examples, address the points directly.
    Get me?
    No I don't really.
    I'm not the best at stating things simply.
    No arguments there.

• Advertisement

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Is there anyone from either of the Crossfit locations on the forum who can answer the various questions regarding the fees?

One of the coaches on from one of the posts here increasingly rarely.
    But a coach from one affiliate can't speak for another.

And if you really want to know, e-mail them.

I'm just saying what you get for the price you pay. You are welcome to give a breakdown of what Crossfit offer for their monthly dues if you want. That would be great actually, as then people could make an informed decision about where they want to go.

I know. I can't. Nor should I to prove the point I was making.
    People are free to contact CrossFit to find this out.
    Your personal budget is of no concern to me really. Somebody quoted a figure and said that it wasn't too expensive. I replied that yes it is too expensive (from a buyers perspective) as you can get the same thing (maybe better) for less if you shop around.

I was using my perspective as an example, an example of someone for whom both CrossFit and the other Gym are too expensive for their available budget. Equally I accept that you feel one is better value than the other. Its nothing personal.
    I never stated or otherwise implied these that the availability of the information elsewhere had any bearing on the value of their service. Don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't put words in your mouth. I thought you were defending peterclarkes point. I had thought this entire debate was based on my disapproval of peterclarkes appraisal of the CrossFit gyms. I have been basically talking about that one thing. What am I missing here?
    I'm sorry, I don't follow, which three sentences?

The three from my post, which you quoted in the post I replied to.

Then give me counter examples, address the points directly.

Counter examples of what?
    Do you think I am criticising a gym here?
    No I don't really.

Frankly I'm not sure you are even talking about the same thing as me anymore. It actually looks like you have started your own debate based on something you quoted out of context. I see no value in debating something, when I don't even know what the subject is.
    No arguments there.

I'm sorry my posting doesn't live up to your standards.

Edit: I think I have gotten you and Chet Zar mixed up. Sorry to both of you.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    If you really want to know, e-mail them.

That would only answer my questions though and I only I would get the answers.

There seems to have been many opinions formed about Crossfit over the course of this thread, which is based on information which may or may not be true.

If there was a source from a Crossfit location as part of this thread, they could at least confirm what's true and what's not.

I know that if there was a thread on my gym, I'd be on to it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I dont think anyone from iether Gym needs to come on here
    This is great advertising for both of them even :D

That would only answer my questions though and I only I would get the answers.

There seems to have been many opinions formed about Crossfit over the course of this thread, which is based on information which may or may not be true.

If there was a source from a Crossfit location as part of this thread, they could at least confirm what's true and what's not.

I know that if there was a thread on my gym, I'd be on to it straight away.

Yeah.
    Maybe they don't see it that way though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Personally I think they should offer unlimited one on one coaching, nutrition, sleep and supplemental advice for €30 a month while also paying huge rent in an expensive part of town while also paying insurance, continued education, equipment maintenance and purchase, three full time salaries (at a level that will somehow be above the breadline after all the overheads have been taken into consideration).

Now a lot of this information can be obtained free from the internet, but you can get all the info necessary to do a degree for free online too, but if you can afford to train there, it's unlikey you'll have the hours necessary to sort the noise from the useful info on the internet. Like, why did they decide to use kstar's mobility information in conjunction with consultations with physical therapists vs just doing some static stretching?

if Reilly isn't too busy running a gym he'll correct me if I'm mistaken in my belief that the last person to lose a shirt in there (under CFI coaching) was possibly Pat Barber, and that was in tallaght, there's no vomit bucket and lying on the floor like a dead fish after a workout is not allowed....

..just sayin'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Can people stop comparing Crossfit gyms to the "other" gym please? I don't think the comparison benefits either party.

Can people stop comparing Crossfit gyms to the "other" gym please? I don't think the comparison benefits either party.

For my part, yes.
    And sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I reported a post over a week ago to suggest a thread split. Talking about other gyms on a Crossfit-specific thread isn't particularly sound. If I were involved with CF, I wouldn't be happy with how this is turning out.

But as Barry has said, they're doing well, so maybe they think "why bother?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

If this thread was to back to the versus point in the thread title I would offer this...

CF Dublin have drastically upped the game by offering unlimited classes on varying 3-9 month offerings between €155 and €190 per month.

In order to get unlimited in CFI you need to be paying thousands of euro on a two year basis.

• Advertisement

And fwiw listing a bunch of overheads of a fitness business does not justify product/service prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Zamboni wrote: »
    In order to get unlimited in CFI you need to be paying thousands of euro on a two year basis.

Their slogan is 'all it takes is all you got' afterall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

And fwiw listing a bunch of overheads of a fitness business does not justify product/service prices.

Have to chime in and agree here. It's like saying it's ok to charge €20 for a big mac because the rent on grafton street is so high.

I really like the lads in CFI and think they do a great job. Costs aside, they're having a positive impact on a lot of peoples lives, so they're a success in that regard.

Would I pay €150-200 per month? No. But I'm not really interested in training full Crossfit all the time, and I know enough that the coaching would add very little to my game. So I'd be left paying a lot of money to estentially be in a gym where the two main selling points are things I'm not interested in.

Do I think it's good value? It depends. If people are happy to pay however much it costs, then they must consider it good value. If they didn't, they would not. For guys with NO training experience and who probably wouldn't be motivated to go to a gym unless they've shelled out a fat wedge and feel like they're wasting it, enjoy the group atmosphere and the esprit de corp, then grand. Good value!!

In regards IP, if they were charging CFI prices, I'd probably find it very hard to justify the cost, but that's because I'm cheap. As it is, I'm pretty much robbing them with the amount of time I spend up there. The coaching I get there is the type that adds serious value to my lifting because Will's expertise is strength and sports improvements. There's a lot of gaps in my knowledge, and I can fill them in with him while I learn.

The added benefit of no cost for the martial arts classes is just insane. I reckon I spend 15-17 hours a week in IP, currently 12+ of those are in coached MA classes. It ends up working out at < €2 per hour for me wit the time I spend in those classes. And that's ignoring the amount of time I spend bothering Will, both in person and online.

I know Barry didn't want comparisons, but I'm sure both gyms will agree that the clientelle they're most likely to attract are different anyway. So there's an objective comparison for ya.

CF Dublin have drastically upped the game by offering unlimited classes on varying 3-9 month offerings between €155 and €190 per month.

24 months at €155 and €190 equals €3,720-€4,560.

They both cost thousands to train over the course of 2 years, right?

24 months at €155 and €190 equals €3,720-€4,560.

They both cost thousands to train over the course of 2 years, right?

Aye, but you can sign up to a three month contract in CFD at €190 per month to get unlimited, whereas you have to be signing onto 2year+ contracts in CFI to avail of unlmited training.
    Unlimited classes on a shorter contract in CFD is clearly an advantage, no?

Aye, but you can sign up to a three month contract in CFD at €190 per month to get unlimited, whereas you have to be signing onto 2year+ contracts in CFI to avail of unlmited training.

Ah ok - I get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you planning on quitting fitness training after 3 months?
    Do you still do Crossfit, or go to a regualar gym and do the WODs
    I'm honestly not sure what you are saying about unlimited classes. If you start do you not keep it up.

For the record, the gyms here are way way more expensive than Ireland. I'm a member of a chain of gyms, i can use multiple locations, but only 2 are practical. I pay over $100 a month. Crossfit here is a lot more than that. Dublin ain't so bad.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm honestly not sure what you are saying about unlimited classes.

Maybe I haven't explained the advantage very well.

Some people, like posters here would rather go to the gym 5-6 times a week rather than being limited to 2 or 3 one hour sessions.
    Take an example
    Crossfit Ireland option
    -€900 for 8 months (112.50per month) for effectively 8 hours of classes per month.
    Crossfit Dublin option
    -€170 per month for 6 months but you can go to classes as often as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

For the record, the gyms here are way way more expensive than Ireland. I'm a member of a chain of gyms, i can use multiple locations, but only 2 are practical. I pay over $100 a month. Crossfit here is a lot more than that. Dublin ain't so bad.[/QUOTE]

Where are you?
    What is €100 in euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

peteclarke wrote: »
    Where are you?
    What is €100 in euro?
    Check his sig, (Location: Bondi...) he is in Australia. So his $100 would probably work out at something like 50euro????

Advertisement