Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crossfit ireland vs crossfit dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Cheers SanoVitae, Looks good alright, il get in contact with them after my next session with the physio on Wednesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

You're very welcome. I envy you having it right on your doorstep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I'd have to back Informed Performance. Quality coaching. I'd recommend taking a look at their website, find the location and pop in to see what goes on. Best decision I've made in terms of paying for gym / coaching.
    You're very welcome. I envy you having it right on your doorstep!

Tell me about it. I make a 16km round trip every time I go... And sometimes I'm in twice a day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

thehamo wrote: »
    Guys, can I just ask, how much does it cost to train in Cross Fit?

Reason being, my job situatuion doesnt exaclty allow me to make big expenditures and im finding it hard enough going to the physio to get my back fixed but it has to be done.

I know i'd find out after I did the intro session, but last thing I want is to go all the way out to sandyford, realise I love cross fit, but also find out I cant afford it!

Thanks.

There is a CrossFit Gym opening on the Malahide Road soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mack32

A buddy of mine goes to crossfit Dublin, it's behind the industrial estate in Blackrock off Carysfort avenue.

The guy there seems to know his stuff, I think he has a rugby background and afaik the Leinster team train there the odd time, Malcolm O’Kelly is a regular there.

Now for the negatives - It’s in the region of 150euro a month and (for me) classes aren’t that regular, there are five classes a day midweek, (one early, one at lunch and three in the evenings), two on a Saturday and none at all on a Sunday. If there are no classes running the building is locked up and you can’t do your own thing

See the FAQ here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

SanoVitae wrote: »
    I highly recommend you check out Informed Performance - it's located in Glasnevin! :D

http://informedperformance.com/

+1
    Works out cheaper too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

the answer is that it cost too much.
    crossfit is great and the guys at crossfit dublin are very good. michael does have a background in rugby. he was on the irish schools team and signed for an english premier team after. not sure which one but maybe leicester (forgive me if im wrong). he played pro for smaller teams in australia and south africa too.
    the only problem is that both dublin afilliates are too expensive. 160 - 190 is way too much. they do have good size warehouses and some over heads but come on, 190! remember this info is on the net for free. all you need is the internet and a couple of friends to give you the competitive push that a class enviornment brings.
    if you dont know anyone who will train with you, i accept its tough to try wods on your own. you will get better results with a class.
    its only a matter of time until somebody opens up at a more reasonable price. crossfit belfast ( the unit ) or whatever they are called are 45 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

peteclarke wrote: »
    crossfit is great and the guys at crossfit dublin are very good. michael does have a background in rugby. he was on the irish schools team and signed for an english premier team after. not sure which one but maybe leicester (forgive me if im wrong). he played pro for smaller teams in australia and south africa too.
    the only problem is that both dublin afilliates are too expensive. 160 - 190 is way too much. they do have good size warehouses and some over heads but come on, 190! remember this info is on the net for free. all you need is the internet and a couple of friends to give you the competitive push that a class enviornment brings.
    if you dont know anyone who will train with you, i accept its tough to try wods on your own. you will get better results with a class.
    its only a matter of time until somebody opens up at a more reasonable price. crossfit belfast ( the unit ) or whatever they are called are 45 sterling.

So if the average price is 175 euro, and let's say the average attendee goes 3x per week, that works out at less than 15 euro per class for expert tuition and coaching in a motivational environment where you get to meet new people, get support/encouragement and get to use thousands of euro worth of equipment for your WODs...you in all seriousness reckon 15 euro a class is too much for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Chet Zar wrote: »
    So if the average price is 175 euro, and let's say the average attendee goes 3x per week, that works out at less than 15 euro per class for expert tuition and coaching in a motivational environment where you get to meet new people, get support/encouragement and get to use thousands of euro worth of equipment for your WODs...you in all seriousness reckon 15 euro a class is too much for that?
    Given that there are other places in Dublin where you can get the same thing for half the price, yes €175 is too much.

Given that there are other places in Dublin where you can get the same thing for half the price, yes €175 is too much.

+1

Also, bear in mind that it doesn't include personal coaching sessions, appointments have to be made for these and there's an extra charge. You could easily get a group together yourself and just do the sessions posted up on www.crossfit.com. Otherwise you can look at cheaper alternatives which include personal coaching in the rates.

• Advertisement

http://www.buykettlebelldublin.com/news/532

This is very good value IMO.

€55 a month for as many sessions as you like. Drop-in sessions are only €10 too.

Hmm yeah actually good points above. I know if I lived near IP I'd defo be taking advantage of their rates and what is on offer there...

Guess 175 each and every month is pretty steep. Upwards of 2k+ per year...yikes.

peteclarke wrote: »

CFI is doing well. So obviously a lot of people there see the value in their prices.

These are their jobs, plus they have to pay rent, insurance and presumably are still paying for their equipment.

You aren't just paying to do WODS either.
    You are paying to use their equipment & for their coaching. (IAWLA weightlifting accreditations, level 1 certs etc are not for free on the net)
    And whats more, you get the benefit of people who appriciate how stupid the Crossfit.com WODS have gotten and actually make you lift heavy stuff more than once a month.

Sure you can do CrossFit on your own, but that has no bearing on the subject. These are gym & coaching services, if you can't afford them thats cool, I couldn't either when I was looking at them. I didn't go bashing them or belittling their services on the net though. Poor form.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    CFI is doing well. So obviously a lot of people there see the value in their prices.

These are their jobs, plus they have to pay rent, insurance and presumably are still paying for their equipment.

You aren't just paying to do WODS either.
    You are paying to use their equipment & for their coaching. (IAWLA weightlifting accreditations, level 1 certs etc are not for free on the net)

Sure you can do CrossFit on your own, but that has no bearing on the subject. These are gym & coaching services, if you can't afford them thats cool, I couldn't either when I was looking at them. I didn't go bashing them or belittling their services on the net though. Poor form.

That's kind of what I was driving at re what they are offering and the value of it.

He's hardly bashing or belittling them in his post though to be fair.

To be fair, Saying that the price is too high because you can get the info off the internet and get a group of lads together is basically belittling the service supplied and the expertise of the coaches.

That's kind of what I was driving at re what they are offering and the value of it.

Agreed, he's just stating the facts and his opinion based on that. Of course it's up to each gym what they charge, but IMO the rates should posted up on the website as they are on Crossfit Dublin. That way people would know whether they can afford it before enquiring and it would make things alot easier.

To be fair, Saying that the price is too high because you can get the info off the internet and get a group of lads together is basically belittling the service supplied and the expertise of the coaches.

No it isn't. As G86 just mentioned there he's just stating facts. Saying 'ah it's not much use really, who needs them when you can do it on your own, etc' - that would be belittling them.

No it isn't. As G86 just mentioned there he's just stating facts. Saying 'ah it's not much use really, who needs them when you can do it on your own, etc' - that would be belittling them.

Why didn't he state the fact that you get coaches teaching you the movements and overseeing your training sessions?

I can state facts about lots of stuff and by stating certain facts but not others create the intimation that something is of less value than it is.

There is context here. The fact is, in the context of the comment that the gym membership is too expensive, stating that one can get all the info online in an unqualified manner creates the implication that the service is of less value.

Why didn't he state the fact that you get coaches teaching you the movements and overseeing your training sessions?

Because there's an extra charge for one on one coaching, it's not included in the standard monthly fee.

There is context here. The fact is, in the context of the comment that the gym membership is too expensive, stating that one can get all the info online in an unqualified manner creates the implication that the service is of less value.

No-one is belittling anything or saying that the service isn't of value. The OP's options are simply being pointed out to them in terms of cost and affordability.

The membership IS too expensive for many people in relation to the other options available. This is a fact. Yes, the info is available online; yes you could buy 2/3 PT sessions a month to get coached in the lifts and then fire ahead on your own/with a group; yes you could join a cheaper facility offering similar services. These are also facts.

However, if the OP can afford it then there's no issue.

I can state facts about lots of stuff and by stating certain facts but not others create the intimation that something is of less value than it is.

I think you're second guessing the guy. You can infer loads of things from people's posts even with context - going by the content of his post I think nobody would agree with you that he was belittling the service - I think that's just something you took from it.

After all he did begin with - "crossfit is great and the guys at crossfit dublin are very good".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I reckon the only thing stupider than jumping straight into crossfit.com WODs is doing crossfit.com WODS with no decent quality supervision and no background in how to do the movements safely. It would be a good idea to find somebody to teach you how to lift safely and then follow something like Crossfit Football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Are Crossfit now marching people at gunpoint to sign up for them? No one has to pay €175 you know!

I personally think it's too much, but then again, all that it takes to prove me wrong is that they have a full house and from what I hear, they do pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

It's a lot of money. The 'big gyms' get bashed a lot on here but for 50-75 per month you get 50+ classes per week - spin, pilates, kettle bells, etc as well as programmes. Yes, some programmes are not the best but every gym has decent trainers who know their stuff.

I hear good things about both cross fits and hopefully they'll do well into the future

G86 wrote: »
    Because there's an extra charge for one on one coaching, it's not included in the standard monthly fee.

Have you done a class?
    There is always a coach supervising and cueing.
    One on One is one on one. Not a group thing.
    There should be an extra cost. Plus we are talking about one affiliate here.
    There are now 3 in dublin, they do not necessarily have the same price structure.

No-one is belittling anything or saying that the service isn't of value. The OP's options are simply being pointed out to them in terms of cost and affordability.

No that isn't the case.
    If such things were being pointed out in a neutral fashion, then this would be true. But they weren't they were pointed out in the context of what was being offered.
    The membership IS too expensive for many people in relation to the other options available. This is a fact.

It is but that can be said for most places.
    Certainly most coached private gyms.
    I can think of two coached private gyms that I'd love to train in, but I can't afford. One of these has 10 to 18 months worth of programming published on its website. Can you tell which one I'm talking about?

I however wouldn't say that this Gym is too expensive (without qualifying it by saying "for me") and the information is available online (at all). Because I would see that as disparaging to the gyms (by all accounts very high quality) services. But these would be facts. Also I'd probably get absolutely pillared on here from all angles.
    Yes, the info is available online; yes you could buy 2/3 PT sessions a month to get coached in the lifts and then fire ahead on your own/with a group;

How'd that go for ya?
    yes you could join a cheaper facility offering similar services. These are also facts.

Cheaper CrossFit? I thought he said he couldn't afford any of them?

Have you done a class?
    There should be an extra cost.

I don't think G86 believes there is anything wrong at all with charging for 1-2-1 sessions. She was merely pointing that for the average price of €175, they were not included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I can think of two coached private gyms that I'd love to train in, but I can't afford. One of these has 10 to 18 months worth of programming published on its website. Can you tell which one I'm talking about?
    I believe that particular gym costs half as much as the numbers quoted here, and the monthly dues are all-in. That includes a range of classes, programming, monitoring/testing and personal training. The only thing you pay extra for are seminars by outside people.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Where is the 3rd Gym in Dublin.
    If someone ever opens one in Dublin city they will clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

d'Oracle you are just looking for an argument by making up stuff that i never said. i never belittled anybody and never said i couldnt afford to go to crossfit.

the fact is that crossfit is a product just like for example an i pod. the product in dublin is sold like it is in every city in the world but in dublin it is sold at a higher price. would you buy an i pod from one of 2 shops in dublin that sold them if the same i pod was half the price in every other city.

on the point of 15 euro a class not being that much. my view would be if you just turn up on the night a 15 euro drop in fee would be fair but to your regular customers or " members of your community " 15 euro is an insult.

its nothing personal to either affiliate its just why should it cost so much here?

*Mod edit: infracted. Attack the post and not the poster please. Juvenile attacks really do nothing but make you look silly. *

Have you done a class?
    There should be an extra cost. Plus we are talking about one affiliate here.
    There are now 3 in dublin, they do not necessarily have the same price structure.
    I haven't done a class, but I have gone through an induction and had membership options explained to me, and also seen classes taking place. With regards to pricing, I'm talking about the 2 affiliates - both of which charge extra for personal coaching. I'm not saying they shouldn't do this - I'm simply stating a fact.

It is but that can be said for most places.
    Certainly most coached private gyms.

Can't say I agree. Jackie Skellys charge €60 a month for a 6 week review and then you're left to your own devices. The other 'coached private gym' you're talking about charges only €20 more for constant coaching in which you're coached through every session - one on one when needed. Crossfit charges over twice that for group sessions without unlimited gym use, and no private coaching.

Again, I'm not saying they shouldn't charge this or that I don't see the value in it - I'm simply saying that there are cheaper alternatives also available.

Cheaper CrossFit? I thought he said he couldn't afford any of them?
    Hence why I suggested alternative options.

• Advertisement

Can you tell us what gym you are talking about?

It's hard to follow the thread if people on this thread don't know what you're referring to. Cheers.

Advertisement