Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai should lead by example

Options

Comments

Anan1 wrote: »
    ......... Can we all agree that some Gardaí do abuse their exemption from the ROTR without justification? ............

As a betting man I reckon some folks won't agree with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

MugMugs wrote: »
    The OP is making allegations without being able to substantiate them. His observation of weaving bus lanes may well have been very safe but he took exception to it. Only he and that Garda actually know for sure.
    Let's step back from any particular incident for a minute. Can we all agree that some Gardaí do abuse their exemption from the ROTR without justification? Assuming that we can, could we address that issue? Pretty please?;)

Of course we can. We can also acknowledge that their all human
    Just like every other person who puts keys in the ignition of a vehicle and takes to the road.

Every single person on this forum and on the roads has drove their car van or truck or even tractor like a grade a twit at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Just like every other person who puts keys in the ignition of a vehicle and takes to the road.

Every single person on this forum and on the roads has drove their car van or truck or even tractor like a grade a twit at some stage.
    Agreed. Where are you going with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

The OP is making allegations without being able to substantiate them. His observation of weaving bus lanes may well have been very safe but he took exception to it. Only he and that Garda actually know for sure.

Refrain from implicating insults at me too, its not very smart and I don't care for it.

I'm sure you're capable of giving him the benefit of the doubt and addressing his version of events without having to take the stance that he's over reacting and that the Gards are beyond reproach in everything they do simply because of who they are. The question is are the Gards' actions as portrayed by the OP acceptable or not, NOT whether or not the OP has a right to complain. He does, we all do.

I was expressing exasperatrion at some people for not exercising good judgement and also for not excercising any judgement at all but only displaying prejudice and narrow-mindedness. Either you fall into that category or you don't, take your choice and feel free to be insulted as necessary.

It is a sign of an open mind to be able to explore a point of view without necessarily accepting it.

Agreed. Where are you going with this?

That why is this refined to just Gardai? Why not slate everybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

An example from a recent thread in the cycling forum,speaks for itself.

?? Because this thread is about the driving of Gardaí.

?? Because this thread is about the driving of Gardaí.

So its a Garda bashing thread. :)
    I'm done.

I'm done.

Don't. Feed. The. Troll.

I'm done.
    Honestly now, are you genuinely incapable of understanding the difference between criticizing something that some Gardaí do and Garda-bashing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Oh it's a Garda bashing thread.......what tosh...it's an observation of officers of The law thread and I too can state I have seen diabolical and abusive driving by members of the force.....there are idiots in all sections of work forces in this country unfortunately when u act the bell end as a cop u stand out. May I also commend those officers that are top end blokes/ gals that are aces at what they do......see the big picture, don't torture the general law abiding public and seize on those who deserve to be rapped.

Honestly now, are you genuinely incapable of understanding the difference between criticizing something that some Gardaí do and Garda-bashing?

The difference doesn't matter to him, he just got a jolly little laugh and a warm feeling in his belly out of it. That's all he wanted. There are some people out there who's lives are just a waste of time and enjoy nothing more than validating their sad existence by wasting other people's time aswell. They're called trolls, the best course of action is to ignore them or you will end up wasting untold amounts of your life pulling your hair out at their confusing BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

RustyNut wrote: »
    An example from a recent thread in the cycling forum,speaks for itself.

cyclists?

remind me; they're the things that get caught up in my wing when i turn left?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Lads this thread really is going nowhere...

166man wrote: »
    Can't beat the irony of MugsMugs thanking this.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

EI_Flyboy wrote: »

The difference doesn't matter to him, he just got a jolly little laugh and a warm feeling in his belly out of it. That's all he wanted. There are some people out there who's lives are just a waste of time and enjoy nothing more than validating their sad existence by wasting other people's time aswell. They're called trolls, the best course of action is to ignore them or you will end up wasting untold amounts of your life pulling your hair out at their confusing BS.

everyone who differs with you is trolling and their lives are a waste of time, they have warm bellys, laugh and cause people to lose their hair, it's your best post so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

EI_Flyboy wrote: »

You're bordering on the wrong side of personal abuse here. If all you can do is attack the poster please refrain from posting.

Keep this clean or it will be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Perhaps a tad off-topic but this thread ( which is going nowhere ) contains mention of users reporting posters with whom they disagree to their employers.

In my opinion such threats/actions are the behaviour of a complete and utter wanker who should be sitebanned from boards :mad:

Just my 2 cents worth.......

166man wrote: »
    Can't beat the irony of MugsMugs thanking this.:D

He's right though. It's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

Bollocks. I'm a (fairly) mature citizen, and I have the highest of respect for the Gardaí. IMO Saab Ed raised a fair point, and no amount of mud-slinging is going make his point go away.

Why were you there to see the incident ?
    All we're hearing is one side of the story, I'd like to hear the Guards version before I'll try and please everyone by jumping on the bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Well on your first point about being entitled to drive in the bus lane, well according to this 2008 report he's not entitled to be there, hence the point of my orginal post so you're wromg there.

Secondly I dont have any anti garda sentiment , here's my original post from about 2 years ago when the incident happened .....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055471784&page=2 ..... its not about guards you see, its about it being dangerous and wrong

The report states they should be a good example for other road users.

Using a bus lane is an exemption Gardai have. Do we have to rename them "Bus and Emergency vehicle lanes" so that people can accept them?
    Bus lanes are not only for buses - they are for taxis, bicycles, hackneys, etc.

Gardai driving in bus lanes means your taxes, their taxes, and my taxes are not being wasted paying them to sit in traffic. They are closer to the pavement so can keep an eye on activities there and on the road.

I actually annoys me no end when I see any emergency vehicle sitting in a mile of traffic. Firefighters dont need to be sitting for 30 minutes going back to a station, it doesnt damage anybody else if they use a bus lane. That 30 minutes could be used to allow them to rest and get some food so that they are ready to help you, your parents, your friends, your children, etc on their next call.

The 30 minutes the Guards spend in traffic could be used to allow them do administrative paperwork in the station - rather than them having to be taken off the road for strictly paperwork duties for a few days....

A few years ago there was talk of allowing then Telecom Eireann and ESB use bus lanes as they were public services. Personally Id be all in favour of it. It wouldnt delay normal traffic or buses, but would allow public services to provide the public with a service, rather than sitting in a queue of traffic.

Delancey wrote: »
    Perhaps a tad off-topic but this thread ( which is going nowhere ) contains mention of users reporting posters with whom they disagree to their employers.

In my opinion such threats/actions are the behaviour of a complete and utter wanker who should be sitebanned from boards :mad:

Just my 2 cents worth.......
    Out of interest, if someone chooses to identify themselves as a serving Garda on Boards then wouldn't they have an obligation not to bring the force into disrepute?

Hootanany wrote: »
    But that is wrong I have to obey the law after my 12 hour shift why is it different for you.

You have no idea what the Guards were driving to or why.

Hiace. wrote: »
    Why were you there to see the incident ?
    All we're hearing is one side of the story, I'd like to hear the Guards version before I'll try and please everyone by jumping on the bandwagon.
    All of my posts have addressed the issue Saab Ed raised, rather than referring to any one incident.

All of my posts have addressed the issue Saab Ed raised, rather than referring to any one incident.

Did you see this incident ?
    Have you heard the accused party's version of events ?
    Have you seen a video ?
    Or are you ranting about a yarn ye heard on the tinternet ? Surely not. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Does anyone know the regs about a garda vehicle van driving down a pedestrianised street? Saw a paddy wagon driving down winthrops street, cork earlier. Maybe zicos or McDonalds had a sale on

Long story short they can... Ambulances, Fire Vehicles and Vehicles driven by a guard in the course of their duty are exempt from most of the Road Traffic Act (Excluding Drink Driving and Careless/Dangerous Driving).

Driving down pedestrian streets in a safe manner is one way for Gardai to patrol them. or do people feel there should be two Gardai on foot patrol on every pedestrianized street in the city?

I find Grafton Street one of the most intimidating streets to be in at night, so be delighted to find Gardai patrolling in vehicles.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    everyone who differs with you is trolling ...........

More irony, you're playing a stormer tonight Garda

RoverJames wrote: »
    More irony, you're playing a stormer tonight Garda

What were you caught with ?

Hiace. wrote: »
    Did you see this incident ?
    Have you heard the accused party's version of events ?
    Have you seen a video ?
    Or are you ranting about a yarn ye heard on the tinternet ? Surely not. ;)
    Reread my last post. S-l-o-w-l-y.;)

• Advertisement

Reread my last post. S-l-o-w-l-y.;)

Whether you avoid the questions quickly or slowly, your still A-V-O-I-D-I-N-G them. ;)
    On one occasion I watched what was a blantant abuse of power by the driver of a garda jeep who pretty much did what he wanted while also towing a trailer. There was driving in bus lane, cutting into lanes, hard shoulder a Blanchardstown was the best one.

But yet when I posted here I was hammered by guards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement