Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current Used Car Values.

2»

Comments

vectra wrote: »
    So the tax will jump up simply because it is in YOUR opinion :P

Well
    1) Toledo is '01 which is much older and cheaper than was being discussed

2)
    Were we discussing the loss from new cars??...........

Reform of the motor tax system will happen, that's not my opinion, they won't be reforming it to make it cheaper in the current climate :)

Indeed we weren't discussing new cars, the same theory applies, you will not recoup extra expenditure in it's entirety come resale time in the majority of cases by spending more when buying. The more expensive product will depreciate more.

There is currently a fairly large disparity between many 07s and 08s, more so than the 07s being a year older. The cheaper tax on many 08s are attracting a price premium that many folk are happy to pay to avail of cheaper motor tax. Some think that premium will be recouped come resale time, I think not as in 2 to 5 years time the difference in value between 08s and 09s will make the premium paid now for folks buying 08s over 07s rather large indeed :)

Given the likelihood of larger increases in motor tax on the Co2 system in % terms compared to that in the cc system folks who took have bought 2007 reg cars may well end up quite happy with how things pan out.

A lad I know bought a relatively decent 2007 reg 520d a month or so ago, the 08s he looked at were some gulf away in monetary terms, certainly more than the one year younger characteristic would dictate :)

There is an element of folks' views and opinions here and no one can tell the future but in times of austerity what we have seen so far I know which way I think things are going, I have no plans to have a car of the 07/08 vintage or onwards in the next 3 to 5 years so my views are somewhat from the outside looking in rather than in hope or expectation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

So the tax will jump up simply because it is in YOUR opinion :P

The four year plan of about two years ago has long committed the government to reforming CO2 based motor tax in 2013. Somehow I don't think they'll be reducing rates....

I'd hazard a guess that a low co2 2007 car bought now could be seen in retrospect as a canny purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,718 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Again, who was discussing NEW cars?? Unless I am imagining things we were discussing circa '07/'08 models. Not new ones.

It doesn't matter how old a car is, depreciation is always higher on a newer car. Both in relative terms (depreciation percentage) and absolute terms (higher value is higher base for depreciation) ;)

Who gets a new car for Half price and how does it become courtesy of the tax payer??

Errrrhhh, you. Or did I mix you up with someone else? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

THIS CO2 TAX RUBBISH IS PROBLALLY TAKING A LOT OF GOOD BIG ENGINED CARS OFF THE ROAD , A COW PRODUCES MORE CO2 IN 4 MONTHS THAN A 2.0TDI DOES IN A YEAR........
    a one for all cars of say €299 would be a better bet ,and leave people drive what they want rather than been penalised for their choice of cars if they are into big motors..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

yourpics wrote: »
    I wouldn't take a Passat for free! Never ending problems with the control module getting wet. Worst thing about it is VW know it is a design fault but won't recall the cars.

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9412&sid=7a7ed88fca35dd4d85e81c0c7a55d3d3

Was that issue not on the B5 & 5.5 passats? An 08 would be a B6 and afaik this issue was sorted on these, but correct me if i am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Hoffmans wrote: »
    THIS CO2 TAX RUBBISH IS PROBLALLY TAKING A LOT OF GOOD BIG ENGINED CARS OFF THE ROAD , A COW PRODUCES MORE CO2 IN 4 MONTHS THAN A 2.0TDI DOES IN A YEAR........
    a one for all cars of say €299 would be a better bet ,and leave people drive what they want rather than been penalised for their choice of cars if they are into big motors..

Spot on, if an 07 car produces the same CO2 as an 08, then why should there be 2 different taxes? It is obvious it is not about the environment at all.
    It is a scam to sell new cars, introduced by FF to prop up people like Bill Cullen who donated €60K to the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

unkel wrote: »
    Errrrhhh, you. Or did I mix you up with someone else? :confused:

News to me.!
    When did I get a car for half price and by how much would YOU have subsidised it?:confused:

News to me.!
    When did I get a car for half price and by how much would YOU have subsidised it?:confused:

Have you some sort of memory loss or are you just being obnoxious? :confused:
    R.O.R wrote: »
    Vectra has a disability exemption for part of the cost of the car and I think that dictates the delivery date of the car.
    As R.O.R said.
    I have to wait until 21st August as I qualify for the disabled drivers scheme and that is my change date.

• Advertisement

Have you some sort of memory loss or are you just being obnoxious? :confused:

No,
    We can leave the obnoxious part to you.

You are correct in quoting that I have a disability and as such I do get a reduction in car purchase.
    You are way off the mark when you say I bought a car for half price.
    I am also waiting for your reply showing me where it cost you money or where Tax payers are contributing to it.
    From where I stand Taxpayers have no money left to contribute to any purchase of a car by a disabled person as every penny is being taken to repay the Fat cat Bankers and Property developers Bill.

Show me how much you contributed towards my car and show me how much also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭bf

Put my 2011 Band A diesel up for sale yesterday, a few calls already be interesting to see what offers (if any!) are out there!

I am also waiting for your reply showing me where it cost you money or where Tax payers are contributing to it.

Do you really want me to explain that? If someone gets a subsidy / discount on their taxes it just means that all the other tax payers have to pay a little bit more to make up for the extra cost / loss of revenue to the state's coffers.

The no VRT / VAT used to amount to about half the value of the car, but with the low CO2 hence low VRT of modern diesels it is less, I'll grand you that. Before the '08 changeover someone with a disability paid half price for a car once and then got a new car for free every two years forever after (trade in of the 2 year old car was worth about the same or more than the cost of a new car less VRT and VAT). Free cars, free motor tax too.

I'm not expressing an opinion here about if this scheme is good or bad or that people should be entitled to it or should be entitled to more or to less, I'm just stating facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Do you really want me to explain that? If someone gets a subsidy / discount on their taxes it just means that all the other tax payers have to pay a little bit more to make up for the extra cost / loss of revenue to the state's coffers.

The no VRT / VAT used to amount to about half the value of the car, but with the low CO2 hence low VRT of modern diesels it is less, I'll grand you that. Before the '08 changeover someone with a disability paid half price for a car once and then got a new car for free every two years forever after (trade in of the 2 year old car was worth about the same or more than the cost of a new car less VRT and VAT). Free cars, free motor tax too.

I'm not expressing an opinion here about if this scheme is good or bad or that people should be entitled to it or should be entitled to more or to less, I'm just stating facts.

Very unPC view, but one I share

I still think you are way off the mark

The way I see it is,
    Car comes into the country. = X

Government adds Vrt = Y

Government adds Vat = Z

So a typicaly buyer would be paying X+Y+Z

I on the other hand get SOME vrt+Vat relief which still leaves a bit to go to the Government.

I don't see how it affects you. :confused:

Maybe it upsets you or you possibly are begrudging towards all people who get this because you possibly know someone abusing the system and it makes you feel hard done by?

Personally I would much prefer to be able to get out of bed every morning and do an honest day's work, but unfortunately that pleasure was taken from me when I should have been earning a damn good living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

John has a 06 Toyota Avensis for sale. John has this car full serviced, checked over, valeted etc. etc. etc. and asks €4,950.

Jimmy has a 06 Avensis that's falling apart, but he gave it a good wash and wants shot of it and asks €4,000.

Mary thinks John is robbing her because she "Saw one on donedeal cheaper"

Mary can think what she likes. John can hang up the phone on here and wait, safe in the knowledge that there are buyers out there who have done their homework and know that his car represents decent value (assuming it actually represents decent value).

Say what you like about the interface and the skangers, what DoneDeal has done is enable the notion of perfect competition (through ease of access). It's perfect competition that allows you to buy a new DvD player for 50 quid when at one time they cost 20 times that.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote:
    I don't see how it affects you. :confused:

Maybe it upsets you or you possibly are begrudging towards all people who get this because you possibly know someone abusing the system

I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick here :)

You have been around boards for a long time and you know I love people buying brand new cars. Preferably nice cars, not sh1tboxes, granted ;)

Surely you will know from all my posts on boards.ie that I am not a begrudger.

I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick here :)

You have been around boards for a long time and you know I love people buying brand new cars. Preferably nice cars, not sh1tboxes, granted ;)

Ah,
    But you see there is a huge difference between appreciating people buying new cars in general and people having to use this benefit to buy them.
    Not something that some people (Like myself ) appreciate others making them sound like scroungers.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I love people buying brand new cars. Preferably nice cars, not sh1tboxes, granted ;)

Sounds like you're begrudging buyers of sh1tboxes there Unkel! ;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Very unfair to begrudge a disabled person a good car to get about in.

Advertisement