Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Educogym-Any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

cmyk wrote: »
    Glad you stepped into that one B-Builder.

Having read through this thread a couple of times I really don't understand the animosity towards educogym. I'll admit to not knowing anything about it before this thread, but respect the fact that myerscoj has come on to give his/her side of the story.

There is clearly a market for this sort of setup here. To add some perspective, the majority of people posting here on a regular basis are gym go-ers/regular trainers/fitness professionals, all of which actually enjoy training and generally living healthy lifestyles. Not everyone does...I've been doing a lot of research of my own accord about how the fitness industry is portrayed here, intimidation seems to be a massive issue.

People will stick with doing things they enjoy, if educogym provides a safe environment to do it in so be it. (Questions maybe over that, as the qualification answer was a bit wooly) Is it the most optimal plan for fat loss/weight gain: possibly not, is it missing fundamentals of a well rounded plan: yes, Is everyone going to enjoy squatting and deadlifting though: no.

If anything they are offering a far better/more responsible service than most of the 'big box' gyms I've been in. You pay your money, you're shepherded to a cardio machine and that's it. I'm glad to see people getting results in a safe/healthy manner that they enjoy with some education on healthy eating.

*I'll add a caveat to all this as I'm taking Myerscoji's answers at face value. I'm also dubious about any place that produces or brands supplements as their own.
    I agree with most of that and i think there is zero animosity here at all just a plain questions and answers thing that has never been done properly with an educo owner.

Again i would emphasise that i like the educo approach in general and there are lots of trainers that could learn from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 myerscoj

d-gal wrote: »
    Have been into 2 educo gyms, and both had the 'time machine', it's a all in one gym machine that is a load of crap to be honest, it's around as smooth as one you would get in argos. I questioned two instructors about their qualifications and the reasoning behind just machine weights; they were qualified by educo and had no previous experience. Regarding squats and deadlifts, they are too dangerous in their opinions. The time machine is largely upper body dominated and the main exercise for legs was the leg extension :rolleyes:

I have said before a million times Educo are simply overpriced for what u get, €50 a week for a few 20 minute sessions on a bad piece of machinery, supervised by underqualified 'trainers' (it's not personal training, pt is 1-2-1, not 1-2-5).

But like always people love a quick fix and when you see statements like
    'Before and after in 12 days Lost 4lbs of fat Gained 6lbs of muscle Lost 2 inches from waist'

Can you explain how that is possible?
    How do you measure to the pound how much muscle a person gains and how much fat they lose?

I certainly can't speak for other franchises but to me the squats are our most important exercise and the one that we start with. We use the same beginners routine as the other franchises so it's unlikely that they would have that opinion regarding squats and deadlifts.

With regards to measuring fat loss and muscle gain we use a widely accepted and practical method of measuring body fat percentage by measuring skin folds and then using the beginning weight and end weight - it's relatively easy but needs plenty of practice to become accurate. It's the only real affordable and relatively accurate way of doing this save buying a Hydrostatic Weighing tank for '000s!

The machine is brilliant - I've had two operating for 2 years and no problems with them. They are as good as any other machine that I've tried. Very smooth, lots of weight (I've trained a pro body builder on it and there was loads for him) and the bars etc move on very good planes for the body. It's super adjustable and very flexible. I think you must have missed the squats station, the calf raise machine, the thigh curl station in addition to the thigh extension station that you did manage to spot.

In your opinion it's over priced but then you haven't had a consultation, taken nutrition advice, been through our programme or got results with us. For people who we have had a major impact on I think it's great value. For people it hasn't worked for I'm sure it's very expensive!

All in all we are great for the industry. In difficult economic times we are providing jobs for people, particularly good trainers. We provide a great service for people looking to get in shape. We teach people about healthly natural low glycemic diets, we change their lifestyles, we introduce people to weight training and we introduce them to the idea of training under supervision - which has to be good for all instructors.

We won't always be perfect - but we damn will try!

Surely that's a positive contribution? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

I think what cmyk means (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is an air of intimidation or even condescension towards myerscoj in relation to things like deadlifting, squatting etc. Educo's not my cup of tea, I loath their methods, but here we have a real life owner being candid and respectful in his posts and he's not being afforded the same courtesy. He's even acknowledging the shortcomings. No amount of highlighting of Educo's faults is going to make Educo as a gym change its methods, though the hiring of adequately certified trainers it may. Like most people here I'm a free weights man but Educo have realised one thing and it is this:

People come to lose fat and that is what they generally get. It can take time to teach a squat/deadlift. It can take time to impart to someone, the requisite hip mobility, core control etc. in order for that exercise to be performed safely. What people who go to Educo do not have is time. They want to weigh less and they want it yesterday, so that's what they get. So Educo takes short cuts, but it fills a gap in the market in doing so and that's the point.

Of course the best trainers can do both at once but that's another thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Transform wrote: »
    I agree with most of that and i think there is zero animosity here at all just a plain questions and answers thing that has never been done properly with an educo owner.

Not from you Transform, and maybe it's just me but most of the other posts read quite aggressively and disrespectful, and fair play to myerscoj for debating their points and answering the questions.
    J-Fit wrote: »
    I think what cmyk means (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is an air of intimidation or even condescension towards myerscoj in relation to things like deadlifting, squatting etc.

Precisely.
    J-Fit wrote: »
    People come to lose fat and that is what they generally get. It can take time to teach a squat/deadlift. It can take time to impart to someone, the requisite hip mobility, core control etc. in order for that exercise to be performed safely. What people who go to Educo do not have is time. They want to weigh less and they want it yesterday, so that's what they get. So Educo takes short cuts, but it fills a gap in the market in doing so and that's the point.

Of course the best trainers can do both at once but that's another thread!

Precisely again. Look at the obesity epidemic here, we are not far behind the states per capita, with people on waiting lists for gastric banding/bypasses etc. Anything or anyone who chooses to improve the health of the nation through some form of healthier lifestyle should be welcomed.

cmyk wrote: »
    Not from you Transform, and maybe it's just me but most of the other posts read quite aggressively and disrespectful, and fair play to myerscoj for debating their points and answering the questions.

Precisely.

Precisely again. Look at the obesity epidemic here, we are not far behind the states per capita, with people on waiting lists for gastric banding/bypasses etc. Anything or anyone who chooses to improve the health of the nation through some form of healthier lifestyle should be welcomed.
    cheers man and as i have said before i have at times defended its shortcomings and hope the issues highlighted here are taken on board as I am sure i would take on board if someone was not happy with my service.

i would just like to see the standards improved all across the board - educo, big gyms, private instuctors etc there are plenty of superb trainers out there doing this day in day out and its through forums like this that info can be exchanged and utilised

Good luck to educo in the future (though i really wish you would change even just 5mins of every session you do with clients to incorporate proven methods to help them get even more from sessions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

myerscoj wrote: »
    If we take in full trainers we look for personal training qualifications - which vary hugely from country to country, and then in addition we certify them ourselves - which takes at least 3 months. We also train them in nutrition specifically for what we do. We also employ assistant instructors, and look for a background in or passion for fitness and sport. Again we certify ourselves before they become full instructors. We are always looking for excellent well qualified passionate trainers (particularly those interested in other people) and maybe someone reading this post might be interested. We have a job posted on jobs.ie - we are hiring at the moment...I have to say the team in the two franchises I have is made up of great people, passionate about helping others and they get great results with people.

This didn't really answer my question.

This didn't really answer my question.
    I would hire for enthusiasm but in house training sounds a little off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

I use an EducoGym.
    I think a lot of the problems people have are:

The cost:
    Mine costs me 100 per 15 sessions, which is 5 weeks for me.For one on one training which is what i get, i thinks its worth it.

The Time Machine:
    I use this, and find it decent for most exercises, but I also use Cable crossover, Dumbells, and barbells, smith machine etc etc.
    I think each trainer has their own equipment and ideas. Im happy that where i go has all these to use too.
    I do deadlifts, squats, benching and dips as well as using the machine. Lots of ab and core work too.

All of this is supervised. Programme is changed every few weeks. And all kept track of for me, weights increased when needed and routines changed.
    Oh and diet advice whenever needed.

Maybe my trainers a renegade in the educo ranks but i aint complaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

amg-slurp wrote: »
    I use an EducoGym.
    I think a lot of the problems people have are:

The cost:
    Mine costs me 100 per 15 sessions, which is 5 weeks for me.For one on one training which is what i get, i thinks its worth it.

The Time Machine:
    I use this, and find it decent for most exercises, but I also use Cable crossover, Dumbells, and barbells, smith machine etc etc.
    I think each trainer has their own equipment and ideas. Im happy that where i go has all these to use too.
    I do deadlifts, squats, benching and dips as well as using the machine. Lots of ab and core work too.

All of this is supervised. Programme is changed every few weeks. And all kept track of for me, weights increased when needed and routines changed.
    Oh and diet advice whenever needed.

Maybe my trainers a renegade in the educo ranks but i aint complaining!

i heard you were in groups and not one on one with the trainer or am i mistaken? if so i think its a little steep, the time machine has bugger all weight on it, grand for a woman but not for a man(well serious trainer) - no problems with the rest appears ok.
    I believe Tony Quinns gym on eccles st is good, with a good trainer there(Conor i still believe) they give good routines and diets,eccles st was my first gym and i learned a lot, its a good 8 yrs though now though, the rest of the educo gyms i don't know about although i hear the guy Thursten or whatever his name is also is a trainer in an educo gym, personally i think that guy is a total toolbox but hey thats my opinion. My main gripe with TQ is his brainwashing rubbish and crap products but credit where credit is due he was a top bbuilder in his day and foresaw the market for fitness here even if some of his ways are rubbish but hey if people are willing to pay for it, then fiar play to him, business is business!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ValerieD

myerscoj wrote: »
    When we screen we look for injuries, restrictions etc. and the weights and exercises in the initial sessions tend to highlight what's in and out of alignment.

I have to laugh at that. I attended an educo gym at 200 per month and told the trainer i had a back injury. Each exercise started off immediately without doing warm ups. And then she had me doing squats with weights and that screwed my back up even more. I havent been able to do anything really for the last few months, just physio and stretches. And FYI it wasnt a case where i didnt do the exercise properly, the trainer was supervising me and she agreed that i was doing it right.

So yes educo do look for injuries in the initial consultation, they make note of them but never refer to them ever again. At least they didnt for me anyway.

And the diet is so ridiculous, it is literally pushed on you. My trainer was testing my urine to make sure i was sticking to the diet. Absolutely ridiculous! It was the ketosis diet so hence the urine test.

None of this was outlined in the initial consultation. The only thing i will say is that the motivation was great. I went from a non gym goer to going to the gym 4 times a week. I really did put in the work but in the end it screwed my back up. I cant even wear heels or it aggravates it. So thanks a mil Educo!

By the way, who actually invented that time machine? Theres so much talk about Tony Quinn running Educo and inventing the time machine but then i've read that he's just a franchisee? Why would someone who is just a franchisee have such a hold over the other educo gyms? I mean, they are selling his supplements! By "selling" i mean "pushing them on people"...

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

amg-slurp wrote: »
    The cost:

I went to Edcuo gym for 6 months last year and paid full whack for the first three months and then negotiated them down to €125 for 12 sessions (1 month) after that. Fair play amg-slurp, you are a better haggler than me :D

I think their business model is pretty good in theory. Small gyms that can be located centrally that people can use on their lunch break. I used to go on my lunch break on Mon, Wed and Fri. I had to pre book the time. If I didn't show up they would call me asking me where I was. In that respest it was great. I always got in my 3 weights sessions, (Legs on Mon, Arms/Shoulders on Wed, Chest/Back on Fri) and did a bit of cardio at other times.

I found their diet advice to be a bit dodgy and generally ended up with them recommending some of their supplements to buy but at the same time it did make my look at my diet a lot more and clean it up.

But as their facilities are so limited their price should be much lower. I think about €80 a month should be the max. However, I don't think that is what they want to do. I think they want to rip off beginners as much as possible and don't really want repeat business. They want to extract as much as possible from their clients over three months and then for the client to quit.

I am basing this on the fact that I hardly ever saw people in any sort of decent shape in Educogym and the turnover of clients in the time I was there was huge.

But if someone is a beginner, then I don't think a 3 - 6 month spell in Educogym is a bad thing and could be a good first step to getting into shape. You will just pay over the odds to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 willyg

i heard you were in groups and not one on one with the trainer or am i mistaken? if so i think its a little steep, the time machine has bugger all weight on it, grand for a woman but not for a man(well serious trainer) - no problems with the rest appears ok.
    I believe Tony Quinns gym on eccles st is good, with a good trainer there(Conor i still believe) they give good routines and diets,eccles st was my first gym and i learned a lot, its a good 8 yrs though now though, the rest of the educo gyms i don't know about although i hear the guy Thursten or whatever his name is also is a trainer in an educo gym, personally i think that guy is a total toolbox but hey thats my opinion. My main gripe with TQ is his brainwashing rubbish and crap products but credit where credit is due he was a top bbuilder in his day and foresaw the market for fitness here even if some of his ways are rubbish but hey if people are willing to pay for it, then fiar play to him, business is business!

I think you hit the nail on the head there, its a good system for bodybuilding but don't agree it is for weightloss. You are also right about the TQ brainwashing, I hear the trainers all have to have a 2 week brainwashing session with him first. I think his motives are dubious to say the least

willyg wrote: »
    I think you hit the nail on the head there, its a good system for bodybuilding but don't agree it is for weightloss. You are also right about the TQ brainwashing, I hear the trainers all have to have a 2 week brainwashing session with him first. I think his motives are dubious to say the least
    man get over it - TQ gyms do some good work and do an excellent job at selling their product (i.e. supplements and an exercise weight loss/muscle building program).

Stop the bashing .

Its no where near the best program around but would prefer my mother would go somewhere like this than her local weight watchers meeting or curves

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Banks

Nice to see somone who actually owns one post and a good post at that.

I am all for ANY system that is going to get people up off their arse and moving as long as thats done by qualified pros.

Problem is most of them aren't qualified, well the 3 of them that I personally know of.....

Banks wrote: »
    Problem is most of them aren't qualified, well the 3 of them that I personally know of.....
    I couldnt give a fiddlers if they are qualified - do you think all the girls running curves are qualified? How about the people that run the local salsa classes?

So long as people are not injuring themselves, its training which is more than most people are doing - i.e. talking about training and nutrition rather than doing it.

I am all for any form of exercise that people will stick to and enjoy and i really couldnt care how thats done (yes there are faster and slower methods but you are not going to convert everyone to what you or i believe in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Banks

I couldnt give a fiddlers if they are qualified - do you think all the girls running curves are qualified? How about the people that run the local salsa classes?

So long as people are not injuring themselves, its training which is more than most people are doing - i.e. talking about training and nutrition rather than doing it.

I am all for any form of exercise that people will stick to and enjoy and i really couldnt care how thats done (yes there are faster and slower methods but you are not going to convert everyone to what you or i believe in).

Totally agree, was just pointing out that the 3 educo's that I am aware of, they are more interested if you can sell their memberships and their supplements, otherwise you won't be working there.

man get over it - TQ gyms do some good work and do an excellent job at selling their product (i.e. supplements and an exercise weight loss/muscle building program).

Stop the bashing .

Its no where near the best program around but would prefer my mother would go somewhere like this than her local weight watchers meeting or curves
    Touchy touchy, i wasn't bashing the gym training but sounds like you approve of the TQ thing, i see a lot bad stuff on the dialogue ireland site about his antics, dont think i would be into him too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Mod Note

@willyg
    : I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you have not read the entire thread, so kindly have a look at post 49 on this thread, and then kindly cease with your anti TQ comments.

M

B-Builder wrote: »
    Mod Note

@willyg
    : I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you have not read the entire thread, so kindly have a look at post 49 on this thread, and then kindly cease with your anti TQ comments.

M
    agreed, little less conversation me thinks

No prob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Stop the bashing .

Really?

I think Weightwatchers is actually pretty alright. I mean it's just a way of simplifying something like measuring and recording calories into a points system and then creating an atmosphere where the clients feel comfortable.

If you ask me, and nobody did, there's a fine line between marketing and scamming. Educo falls on the scamming side of the line. To me it's like a "fad diet" given corporate backing.

Their promises are dubious, their methods baseless and most importantly their prices are exorbitant. When someone gives you some BS advice on something and you eventually realise it was BS, it's just bad advice. If that person charged you €1000 for it, then it becomes fraud.

Of course anyone providing any service has to cover costs and turn a profit. That's not what Educo are doing IMO.
    Banks wrote: »

That's beside the point. Qualified personal trainers are generally more dangerous than unqualified one because they've been given the most lethal combination of all, a little knowledge and a lot of power. Personal training is completely unregulated so anyone backing up they're opinion with "I'm a qualified personal trainer" should be treated with the same caution as someone giving you advise on your teeth as a "qualified toothologist".

kevpants wrote: »
    Really?

I think Weightwatchers is actually pretty alright. I mean it's just a way of simplifying something like measuring and recording calories into a points system and then creating an atmosphere where the clients feel comfortable.

If you ask me, and nobody did, there's a fine line between marketing and scamming. Educo falls on the scamming side of the line. To me it's like a "fad diet" given corporate backing.

Their promises are dubious, their methods baseless and most importantly their prices are exorbitant. When someone gives you some BS advice on something and you eventually realise it was BS, it's just bad advice. If that person charged you €1000 for it, then it becomes fraud.

Of course anyone providing any service has to cover costs and turn a profit. That's not what Educo are doing IMO.

That's beside the point. Qualified personal trainers are generally more dangerous than unqualified one because they've been given the most lethal combination of all, a little knowledge and a lot of power. Personal training is completely unregulated so anyone backing up they're opinion with "I'm a qualified personal trainer" should be treated with the same caution as someone giving you advise on your teeth as a "qualified toothologist".
    Yes i agree with most of that but would still rather someone do a program that involved weights than do weight watchers - My opinion.

regards the trainer comment - it exists in all industries and thats why people will still go on a public profile of the trainers work and most of all recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I got a notification saying this thread had been updated but the update seems to have disappeared. What gives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FiFiTrixie

PH4T wrote: »
    I got a notification saying this thread had been updated but the update seems to have disappeared. What gives?

Hi

Yes I updated a thread, I am new to Boards.ie and they took my Thread down as they thought I was trying to promote Educo Gym. sorry Booards.ie , I was only stating my experience as there didnt seem to be 2 many people that actaully went to the Gym making comments on the thread, I just listed what i thought sorry again,,
    its was a good report about the gym :)
    maybe because im new, I will try in post it again in a few weeks folks !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I was being cautious. :) We've had some trouble with shilling before. The post seemed a bit....random. Fifi, do exactly as you say if you please. :)

FiFiTrixie wrote: »
    Hi

Yes I updated a thread, I am new to Boards.ie and they took my Thread down as they thought I was trying to promote Educo Gym. sorry Booards.ie , I was only stating my experience as there didnt seem to be 2 many people that actaully went to the Gym making comments on the thread, I just listed what i thought sorry again,,
    its was a good report about the gym :)
    maybe because im new, I will try in post it again in a few weeks folks !!!!
    I got your post in my email inbox, I am not too surprised they took it down, you would nearly think you owned the gym the way you were plugging it!!! better luck next time

I got your post in my email inbox, I am not too surprised they took it down, you would nearly think you owned the gym the way you were plugging it!!! better luck next time
    agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 social democrat

Much of the criticism I've read online about educo gym rings true from my experience. I can only speak of the Parnell Street branch run by Lyndon Morris and his team which is where I checked out what they have to offer.

This is not a sustainable route to fitness. It plays on people's desire for a quick fix and it is not a route to long term healthy living.

I did a 3 day trial there recently and got all the information. Would I recommend educo gym? No. I didn't sign up and hand over the guts of 600 euros for 3 months membership and I'm glad. See for yourself if you go along. Make up your own mind, but make sure it's what you really want, and only when you get the full picture. And don't be pressured. Keep a cool head with these sales men.

If you are seriously thinking of Educo gym ask for the free three day trial. Insist on it. And insist on taking a few days after the trial to make your own mind up on whether to commit with your hard earned cash, your bodily well being and your time.

Insist you need to properly check out the diet, the quality of coaching and the exercise program and then take time to consider it with a cool head before you could sign up - this is your health after all and you need to be sure this is right for YOU.

Once you part with the cash there's no come back, remember that.

Note that they have a "we are the one true way" attitude. They will tend to dismiss all other diets, gyms, exercise approaches immediately and out of hand. As if no one ever lost weight or got fit except by following their prescriptions. This was a warning bell for me. Watch out for it.

Don't let them pressure you to make your mind up. The educo gym franchise owners are heavily into the hard sell. And as we know, the line between selling and pressuring can be a thin one. Don't impulse buy - it's a lot of money (hundreds of euros) that you could spend in numerous other ways to achieve you weight and fitness goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mailliw

FiFiTrixie, I noticed the same thing, nobody except myerscoj with any kind of personal experience of educogym posting here, a bit worrying! Granted, I can't blame boards.ie for thinking a first-time poster praising educogym was a booster but I feel that the threads all misrepresent the gym! We don't see any success stories, just bad things people heard from a friend of a friend! I myself have lost nearly 50lb in 6 months and I was never forced to take supplements or drink pints of cream or wash the sauce off beans and eat them in porridge. So either I'm an anomaly in that sense, or everyone else that uses educogym hated it, and the 100 people (or thereabouts) I've talked to that got great results there were stooges, I guess we'll never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 social democrat

mailliw wrote: »
    FiFiTrixie, I noticed the same thing, nobody except myerscoj with any kind of personal experience of educogym posting here, a bit worrying ... just bad things people heard from a friend of a friend!

WHAT? (as they say in the NoNonsense.ie ad...)

Sorry, did you not read the other posts in this thread at all Mailliw? This many concerns about a gym don't come out of thin air. As I myself wrote in the post right before your one, and I stated it quite clearly, I took the three day trial at Educo gym in Parnell street. I performed their prescribed exercise sets on their multitrainer. I got all the program information and the diet information, in detail. If I misrepresented any details please point them out. So, I would imagine, I would quality as having "personal experience" of educogym and what they offer?

Unfortunately your post looks suspiciously like a plug from Educogym itself, which would be quite a biased opinion, given the direct franchise revenues involved...

• Advertisement

Apologies social democrat, and I find i quite fitting that you replied because you were one of the few people to post here who had first hand experience! What I meant to say was that nobody with long-term experience of educogym was posting here, bar myerscoj.

Obviously you didn't want to stay on long term, and that's your choice, I can't argue with it, I just feel that there is a lack of proper connection with the members of the gym here.

Also, in response to "This is not a sustainable route to fitness" I would have to disagree. The initial "12-day kickstart diet" isn't a long-term idea, hence the name, but the gym is very heavily based on teaching its clients (after all, the educo must mean something!) about how to eat well, how to make smart dietary choices, and most importantly the reasoning behind them, rather than just telling them what to eat. After these six months I feel confident that I don't need help in order to sustain my current level of fitness, and I'm sure most of the other members feel the same way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Apologies social democrat, and I find i quite fitting that you replied because you were one of the few people to post here who had first hand experience! What I meant to say was that nobody with long-term experience of educogym was posting here, bar myerscoj.

Of course myerscoj has long term experience of educo. He runs a number of them and is currently expanding. (nice guy actually)
    Please bear in mind that because you had positive experience in one 'franchise' of Educo does not mean people have not had terrible experiences in lot of the other Educo gyms.
    A Big Mac isn't the same in every McDonalds.

Oh don't get me wrong, obviously there are people who have had negative experiences in educogym, that much is obvious, I was just stating that there was a noticeable lack of people who have long-term experience in any of the gyms on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

Oh don't get me wrong, obviously there are people who have had negative experiences in educogym, that much is obvious, I was just stating that there was a noticeable lack of people who have long-term experience in any of the gyms on this thread!

Haven't look at this whole thread, but just looking at the last two pages, there were two posters who used Educo - ValerieD & PH4T.

The reason they didn't have any long-term experience was that they tried it out and weren't particularly impressed and/or thought it was too expensive.

You're unlikely to get many ppl with long-term experiences if they aren't impressed with it in the beginning.

I don't like knocking things I haven't tried, but personally I don't have the time/money to try everything, so I have to make lots of judgements based on recommendations. This thread isn't inspiring me to use Educo

At the same time I'm sure there's people who'd be more suited to Educo than other things, even if it's pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Corkboi

I did the 12 day challenge there, definitely saw results. I lost 9 pounds and gained 5 pounds of muscle. (Probably would have lost more but I cheated on the diet once or twice :P)

Good to do if you have the money to spare, besides losing weight they walk you through how to do the exercises properly. Im still doing some of the routines that they taught me to do.

On the suppliments side I was taking "Amino Or" before training and nothing else, its up to you weather you decide to take the suppliments and shakes or not.

I couldnt say weather you would see the same results if you did or didnt take them.

Thats my Two Cents worth anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

pmean wrote: »
    I did the 12 day challenge there, definitely saw results. I lost 9 pounds and gained 5 pounds of muscle.

Welcome to the forum Mr Ferriss! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I take it that the "9 lost, 5 gained" is another way of saying "I weighed 4 pounds less after 12 days".

I'd love to give educogym a try.

Well they take your BMI as well as all your measurements, I lost an inch off my neck, chest two thighs, two inches from my waist, inch and a half from each of my calves.....

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum Mr Ferriss! :D

HAHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as7C8rhvv-M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

Well they take your BMI as well as all your measurements, I lost an inch off my neck, chest two thighs, two inches from my waist, inch and a half from each of my calves.....

:confused: how big were they to start?
    Thats my Two Cents worth anyway.....

I think this may prove to be an incredibly accurate valuation on your part.

Maars wrote: »
    :confused: how big were they to start?

I think this may prove to be an incredibly accurate valuation on your part.

Someone asked for info so I gave my experience, you can take it on board, or not, but dont be a dickhead about it.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Id like to, myself, point out that you did not put on 5lbs of muscle in that time frame. That's a given.

And some of the posters posting here that have not had experience with EG are far more reputable and not out to rip people off.

That been said, if it's the only way some people will go out and start to become healthier that i think that's good. Doing something is always better than nothing, but please don't be fooled into believing that you actually put on 5lb of muscle in 12 days - fact is you didn't. The result is been manipulated by the team to lead you to believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Good for motivation. (I think a lot of gym staff are appalling and could learn from them)

......but very very bad for the wallet.

I've gone myself. Back when it was just Tony Quinn gym on eccle street. Gave me a lo-gi diet plan for general use and an atkins type thing for the ''12 day'' Nothing you couldn't get from going online.

Wasn't as expensive then, I think 650 a year. Though that was just personal training for the first 6 sessions.

Was great for motivation, trainer used to ring me if I hadn't been in in a while, and they really push you during the 12 day. Can't remember how much fat/muscle I'd lost/gained but looked pretty good after it.

I wouldn't go back now even at the previous prices. all the motivation in the world doesn't match free weight compound lifts. And paying 600 for 3 months is outrageous.

If I had money to burn and was just trying to lose weight I'd go there, but not for anything else

Id like to, myself, point out that you did not put on 5lbs of muscle in that time frame. That's a given.

And some of the posters posting here that have not had experience with EG are far more reputable and not out to rip people off.

That been said, if it's the only way some people will go out and start to become healthier that i think that's good. Doing something is always better than nothing, but please don't be fooled into believing that you actually put on 5lb of muscle in 12 days - fact is you didn't. The result is been manipulated by the team to lead you to believe that.

Point taken, I cant prove the muscle gained, but I can prove the inches lost and how I look and feel after it and if thats all I did take from it then it was worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

Thank God, I read these reviews before I squandered my money. I was almost sucked in by the cute employee.

• Advertisement

Just wondering, what proof do you have that pmean didn't put on that much muscle?

pmean could work out muscle gained quite easily with a simple formula comparing weight and BF% before and after, so I'm sure any qualified trainer could do the same.

In fact, I met a guy today who put on 8.5lb of muscle in 18 days.

And you mentioned that educogym are "out to rip people" off. Care to explain? Or did i genuinely misunderstand that point?

5lb of muscle in 12 days......easy to get these results, especially in an educogym. Why? because they use the calipers to measure you before and after.
    It is very easy to get the reading you want with those things, all you need to know is what measurement you need before you measure then just move the calipers into the desired position to get it...easy peasy...mystery solved.
    Remember the golden rule....if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

It is very clear to me who is promoting educogym here, you have probably noticed I don't, and do so for very good reason. ;)

5lb of muscle in 12 days......easy to get these results, especially in an educogym. Why? because they use the calipers to measure you before and after.
    It is very easy to get the reading you want with those things, all you need to know is what measurement you need before you measure then just move the calipers into the desired position to get it...easy peasy...mystery solved.
    Remember the golden rule....if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

It is very clear to me who is promoting educogym here, you have probably noticed I don't, and do so for very good reason. ;)

Oh I know it's possible to fake results, but metamorphosis seemed so adamant that pmean didn't get the results he said he did, so I was just wondering how they knew?

And I'm afraid to say I don't agree with the "golden rule" in this case, although usually sound advice!

Donnaghm wrote: »
    Thank God, I read these reviews before I squandered my money. I was almost sucked in by the cute employee.

Donnaghm, the fact that you went to the gym, nearly got "sucked in" and still checked it out online shows your ability to think for yourself, so why believe anyone online? Even me?

I think you should do what social democrat advised and do the three day trial. I know it costs €50, but if you live or work anywhere near Grand Canal Dock, then this'll apply to you: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Educogym-Docklands/324565039167

The very first post on that page is a voucher for a free 1-week trial, and having already shown your capability to think and consider like a rational human being, I think a small, no-strings-attached trial would let you make a more fact-based decision. Anyway, it's free. What have you got to lose? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

mailliw: do you work for educogym or are you associated with them in any way?

• Advertisement
Advertisement