Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stopping the sweat!

Options
  • 08-07-2015 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

So I've been doing HIIT sessions during my lunch lately rather than at six in the morning. But I only get 30/35 mins for my lunch. So I do my session and then its straight into the shower and back to work. By the time I'm back out I'm still sweating(as i type this i can feel the sweat building on my neck and lower back as well as my scalp).
    I have heard a hot drink can regulate your temp. but that could be an old wives tale, so I'm just wondering does anyone have any fixes to stop the sweat quickly. I try the cold shower and while this helps I'm still a sweaty mess!

T.I.A

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Time.

You don't have it, so you're **** out of luck. Otherwise, stand next to a fan. Or drink a COLD drink.

I don't shower straight after a workout because of this. Takes me a good 30 minutes or so to cool down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Have you tried a cold shower? It's not too bad if you can regulate the temperature of te shower, start out warm and turn the temp down gradually until it's properly cold.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The last week when it was 997 degrees, give or take, and I trained in the morning before work, the cold shower was the way to go. But still found myself warming up to the verge of sweating before i left the changing rooms. The saving grace was the cycle to the Dart station.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The last week when it was 997 degrees, give or take, and I trained in the morning before work, the cold shower was the way to go. But still found myself warming up to the verge of sweating before i left the changing rooms. The saving grace was the cycle to the Dart station.

It's important to make the shower so cold that one spontaneously realises noises like whale song.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    It's important to make the shower so cold that one spontaneously realises noises like whale song.

Brilliant!

Also important to get into the shower before anyone has had a chance to flush the cold water out of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

I put a few pinches of Himalayan pink salt in water for my workout drink, seems to help a bit, and stops the light head feeling. I sweat an awful lot

guile4582 wrote: »
    I sweat an awful lot

3ff21b6ce74888680232512747740eabb340582e4077cc985bcf83b477822f95_medium_animated

• Registered Users Posts: 14 roisin.browne

That's an interesting comment about Himalayan Pink Salt. I bought some, admittedly because it looked so nice, but haven't found any real use for it. Will definitely try this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

guile4582 wrote: »
    I put a few pinches of Himalayan pink salt in water for my workout drink, seems to help a bit, and stops the light head feeling. I sweat an awful lot

I find rose quartz highly effective for both preventing sweat and attuning with my angel guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I sweat a lot also. Best to take a really cold shower for as long as possible , I also have a small USB powered desk fan I bought on Amazon. It works great as I am always hot when everyone around me is cold.

• Advertisement

I sweat a lot also. Best to take a really cold shower for as long as possible , I also have a small USB powered desk fan I bought on Amazon. It works great as I am always hot when everyone around me is cold.

Sweating is caused by body heat, and body heat is directly proportionate to calories eaten - so this is the price you pay for having two breakfasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Well some people sweat more than others, they actually have more sweat glands than other people. It is a myth that this is linking to fitness.

I probably have higher muscle density than the average person, and good circulation. Muscle generates heat, and also requires more calories to maintain.

So I don't think its as easy as just saying "eat less". Then I would not be able to maintain the muscle mass I require for my sport.

I'm not saying you should eat less. Muscles do need calories, the heat is the inevitable result. I used to never feel too hot in bed but since I started bulking a couple years ago I find even Irish summers kind of stifling.

On the other hand, I used to always be cold during the winter and now I'm one of those guys who walks around in a t-shirt and my mother says "Are ye not freezing in that?"

No mom. I ate 3,500 calories today, yiz can gather around me and warm your hands if you want.

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm not saying you should eat less. Muscles do need calories, the heat is the inevitable result. I used to never feel too hot in bed but since I started bulking a couple years ago I find even Irish summers kind of stifling.

On the other hand, I used to always be cold during the winter and now I'm one of those guys who walks around in a t-shirt and my mother says "Are ye not freezing in that?"

No mom. I ate 3,500 calories today, yiz can gather around me and warm your hands if you want.

Needs more tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I am just a super-weird anomaly so - super cold all the time indoors except I sweat like a waterfall in the gym (lifeboats have been known to circle the treadmill when they see me coming) :(:o:(

I've often googled the whole 'excessive sweating when exercising' thing to see if it is a sign you're unfit / fit or whatever. No consensus from what I can gather and I think some people just naturally sweat more. Lovely. :p:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

I can remember reading somewhere that a cold shower is not actually what you need at all as it just instructs the body to start warming you up. Room temperature or body temperature I seem to remember was the advice.

A bit of talc after your shower will help keep your body dry. You can get scented talc for men or just use plain old talc.

Advertisement