Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a realistic time frame to lose 7 stone

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Black Coffee without sugar and milk is in my opinion a health food, but I think 1 or 2 in the mornings is enough, blunts the hunger of the fast before lunch

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Black Coffee without sugar and milk is in my opinion a health food, but I think 1 or 2 in the mornings is enough, blunts the hunger of the fast before lunch

Why would you want to starve yourself after not eating overnight while you sleep?

heres a delicious recipe I tried the other day

Cut up 400g of chicken breast
    1/4 cup of coriander
    1 packet of reduced sodium taco mix
    300g of salsa
    1 can of corn
    juice of 1 lime
    1 table spoon of apricot jam

Basically just fry up the chicken and add all the ingredients and is done when the salsa starts bubbling and serve of baked potato or a serving of rice , delicious

Although I know there's people here thats going to think this is unhealthy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

how many people is that recipe for...

Stheno wrote: »
    Why would you want to starve yourself after not eating overnight while you sleep?

The misconception you have is that you will starve if you don't have breakfast,of course you will feel a little uncomfortable at the start if having breakfast is something you have always done but this isn't hunger and certainly isn't starvation remember the more often you eat the smaller your meals have to be, 16 hours is not that long time to go without food especially since you are asleep for 8 of them and having your calories split into 2 big meals is very satisfying, have areas up on intermittent fasting ,lean gains and martin berkhans of course your free to believe what you do if you want, but you wont change my mind about breakfast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I was 17 stone 3. Five weeks later Im 15 stone 2
    Complete dietary change and gym 3-5 nights a week. All at 43 years of age.

strelok wrote: »
    how many people is that recipe for...

Youd have two 600 calorie meals if you split the mix on a baked potato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I would be careful drinking such an amount of coffee on an empty stomach. You might give yourself an ulser. Not fact just my option, I used to do that and would always get awful craps.

sounds golden so

if you ever get hunger pangs in the mornings and you find the coffee isn't doing it anymore, try blending a bit of coconut oil into the coffee. just a small amount 10-15g (80-120 ish calories). it does change the texture of the drink a bit and you might not appreciate that but it's quite filling, keeps you in a fasted state and is ****ing delicious. I had one around noon today and i was still buzzing around the flat at 4pm.

you dont really have to blend it up, thats just to make it nicer. the fat and the coffee are the important bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nope, they just encourage clean eating.

Check out their free 7 day sample menus

Non Vegetarian menu

Vegetarian Menu
    So why do you need to pay someone for a menu to lose weight? You can find plenty menus and encourage yourself without paying anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So why do you need to pay someone for a menu to lose weight? You can find plenty menus and encourage yourself without paying anyone.

Diff'rent strokes.

It's not a cult. It works for some people.

I am 6ft tall and 20.5 stone , my long term goal is 13.5 stone. How long do you think it would take if I ate healthy 90% of the time and trained hard in the gym 4 or 5 times a week?

I'm 5 10 and was 17 stone in late Feb, I'm mid 30s, my diet got quite bad after the sudden death of a good friend who I used to train with, my training became non existent.

I used to still train, but half heartedly.

I got sick of it so in early March decided to clean up the diet, hello Mr Salad and goodbye Mr takeaway essentially.

I'm down to 15 stone now but the first 1.5 stone flew off really, as the weight comes off you become more energetic, at 15 stone I'm back to where I was 2 years ago but I'm determined to lose more.

I reckon with diet alone you could shift 4 stone in a year, that's a loss of a lb/week. Ideally get exercising and make positive lifestyle changes. With hard training as you mention you will speed up the process immensely depending what fitness level you are at now. If you don't train at all now you have to start gently, no point injuring yourself and making it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

I'm 6 foot tall age 33. Slimming world has worked amazingly for me. I never went to the groups but just followed the plan.

I was 18st 4lbs in august '13 by February '14(6 months) I was down to 14st and by Jun '14 I was down to 13 st. I've maintained my weight for the past year.

The change in eating habits was the most important part but that combined with regular cycling has meant I'm lighter and fitter than I've ever been.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Sam Kade wrote: »

Accountability.

All the knowledge in the world is freely available on google.

Knowledge is easy.

Implementation and avoiding information overload is why you pay trainers.

...that and making sure you do it the quickest and most efficient way.

It's like asking why do accountants exist, revenue.ie has all the information available if you want to take the time to figure it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

ms.sunnyb wrote: »
    I would replace the baked potatoe with brown rice a few times a week, filling up on veg instead of carbs. Starting the day with breakfast helps get your metabolism going, squeez half a lemon in hot water instead of coffee and porridge with fruit for breakfast, dropping the evening scrambled egg, maybe just a handful of nuts or crackers and hummus or something instead that late at night. Eat fruit and nuts as snacks. Join exercise classes, spinning or something, this really motivates you to exercise
    What I find is that everyone is an expert with fitness and its not black and white, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having baked potatoes twice a day, they are one of the most filling carbs you can eat and have thrice as much vitc C as an orange, carbs are also important for maintaining testosterone production , one of the most important thing with dieting is eating foods you enjoy otherwise you wont stick to it, also breakfast is not that important, now I'm not trying to convince you or anyone , this is something I personally believe but I dot need anyone to believe it

Really good answer to the above Q. And quite right.
    The breakfast thing isn't true.

And not much point suggesting he has brown rice instead of a baked potato. Easy enough to have a big portion of rice that has more calories and carbs than a baked potato. And nothing wrong with eggs either.

Not having a go at you. You're trying to help. I just don't think it improves what he's doing.

Of only for the blasphemous suggestion of dropping coffee ;)

Backing this. Good response.
    Clareman wrote: »
    Well said, check out Rich Froning, he eats what he wants, but in fairness the man is an animal :D:D

Train 4x per day and already be very lean with great metabolic flexibility and you can too :D
    TallGlass wrote: »
    I would be careful drinking such an amount of coffee on an empty stomach. You might give yourself an ulser. Not fact just my option, I used to do that and would always get awful craps.

Your opinion is incorrect.

Most ulcers are caused by bacterial infections, but it is possible that caffeine could make the pain worse.

It wont' CAUSE anytihng tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I am 6ft tall and 20.5 stone , my long term goal is 13.5 stone. How long do you think it would take if I ate healthy 90% of the time and trained hard in the gym 4 or 5 times a week?

I know a lady in her late 40's who dropped that in about 14 months through the weight loss clinic. Has kept if off and continues to improve her health all the time. Inspirational stuff.

You can do it OP, but it takes hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

10lbs down

Is that in a week?

galljga1 wrote: »
    Is that in a week?

Yes and whats even more exciting and what I haven't mentioned is that my waist is down 2 full inches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Stheno wrote: »

It's what ever works for him, that's what is most important. If he is happy doing that, and he is losing weight, then go for it.

Here is something else I believe, fast weight loss and low calories is quite do able when someone has a lot of fat to lose, a person like me who has 100lbs to lose can easy get away with 1000-1500 calories a day as long as exercise volume is low due to fat availability. The key is as you get leaner the calories should be tapered up and exercise volume should be tapered up, the goal is to taper into maintenance where the deficit your creating when your at maintenace isnt coming from a calorie deficit but from the extra exercise your doing.

Example

a 6ft tall 300lbs guy with 40% body fat should have it much easier to lose 3 stone(42lbs) in 3 months then the same guy when he gets to 200lbs and 17% bodyfat and looking to lose 1 stone(14lbs) , from a hormonal profile both are very different and have different needs at each stage even though its the same person, the last 10-15lbs should be lost a a rate of 0.5-1lb a week, also at the beginning alot of the weight lost isnt all fat, theres a good bit of water a glycogen being lost also, a 6ft guy whos trying to lose the last bit of fat should be on about 2500-3000 calories weighting 4-5 times a week and using low intensity cardio like walking for an extra calorie burn

• Advertisement

Here is something else I believe, fast weight loss and low calories is quite do able when someone has a lot of fat to lose, a person like me who has 100lbs to lose can easy get away with 1000-1500 calories a day as long as exercise volume is low due to fat availability. The key is as you get leaner the calories should be tapered up and exercise volume should be tapered up, the goal is to taper into maintenance where the deficit your creating when your at maintenace isnt coming from a calorie deficit but from the extra exercise your doing.

Example

a 6ft tall 300lbs guy with 40% body fat should have it much easier to lose 3 stone(42lbs) in 3 months then the same guy when he gets to 200lbs and 17% bodyfat and looking to lose 1 stone(14lbs) , from a hormonal profile both are very different and have different needs at each stage even though its the same person, the last 10-15lbs should be lost a a rate of 0.5-1lb a week, also at the beginning alot of the weight lost isnt all fat, theres a good bit of water a glycogen being lost also, a 6ft guy whos trying to lose the last bit of fat should be on about 2500-3000 calories weighting 4-5 times a week and using low intensity cardio like walking for an extra calorie burn

100% agree with that, but the problem a lot of people encounter is the focus is on the wrong things at the start. A lot of people who go to dieticians get the standard diet sheet with the likes of 1 scraping of low fat spread etc, rather than understanding the person's state in an overall sense.

If someone is 20st, doesn't exercise and is eating 3500 calories a day, there is loads of scope for firstly halting the rise in weight, and secondly starting the drop, without it being a complete headfeck of negativity, right at the start.

Mumha wrote: »
    100% agree with that, but the problem a lot of people encounter is the focus is on the wrong things at the start. A lot of people who go to dieticians get the standard diet sheet with the likes of 1 scraping of low fat spread etc, rather than understanding the person's state in an overall sense.

If someone is 20st, doesn't exercise and is eating 3500 calories a day, there is loads of scope for firstly halting the rise in weight, and secondly starting the drop, without it being a complete headfeck of negativity, right at the start.

yea the thing is that people don't realise is that exercise actually burns very little calories, if a person goes on the treadmill for an hour and the readout says 400-500 calories burned they think have burned that many calories but what they don't realise is that your body burns calories 24/7 through out the day, so if the hadn't done that hour on the treadmill there's 100-200 calories they wold have burned anyway just doing heir normal every day thing, that's why weight-training is so important, its benefit is not how many calories it burns but what its doing to your body by shaping it that why I never take exercise into account when calculating calories, I assume the burn is zero.

For me and my goals my philosophy is this

Exercise is for building muscle

Food/Nutrition/Calorie restriction is for losing fat

If you are training hard 4/5 times a week assuming the calorie burn is zero isnt a great philosophy imo.

Small whiff of something fishy off this topic.

yea the thing is that people don't realise is that exercise actually burns very little calories, if a person goes on the treadmill for an hour and the readout says 400-500 calories burned they think have burned that many calories but what they don't realise is that your body burns calories 24/7 through out the day, so if the hadn't done that hour on the treadmill there's 100-200 calories they wold have burned anyway just doing heir normal every day thing, that's why weight-training is so important, its benefit is not how many calories it burns but what its doing to your body by shaping it that why I never take exercise into account when calculating calories, I assume the burn is zero.

For me and my goals my philosophy is this

Exercise is for building muscle

Food/Nutrition/Calorie restriction is for losing fat

To be honest, it's a combination of food and exercise, but that exercise doesn't have to be 50 laps. I get where you are coming from, but for a lot of people, they would square away in their head,what you said about the burn being zero, as sure if it's zero then what's the point in doing it ?

Even if it was just 300 calories extra over the hour, that's an extra pound over 7 days of one hour sessions, plus the added feeling of accomplishment in flexibility, commitment and well being (aerobically). But again, whatever works for you personally, is good.

at some point in the (not too) distant future the weight loss is going to slow down, quite a (****ing) bit. when you get to that point, having the fitness where you can nip out for a brisk hour or two walk (or even jog) 5-6 times a week to help things along will be a big help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

OP I lost about 3.5 stone in 18 months. This was done through dietary changes only, no exercise. I lost the weight eating a low carb diet.

When the weight starts to come off initially it'll go quite fast, it's the last bit that is stubborn to shift, maybe it's been there the longest :P

I have about another 2 stone to lose and I am hoping to lose that between now and Christmas. I have started exercising in the last 6 weeks and that has broken a plateau I was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mumha wrote: »
    Even if it was just 300 calories extra over the hour, that's an extra pound over 7 days of one hour sessions,
    1lb needs 3500 calories.
    7 x 300 is 2100 calories, about 270g of fat

Mellor wrote: »
    1lb needs 3500 calories.
    7 x 300 is 2100 calories, about 270g of fat

The point still stands that it all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Augeo wrote: »
    If you are training hard 4/5 times a week assuming the calorie burn is zero isnt a great philosophy imo.

I read it as the OP is basing his weight loss on improving his nutrition whilst exercising rather than trying to base a deficit too much on what might be burned during exercise.

It's not undermining the importance of exercise. Just that it's easier to manage calorie counting on nutrition alone.

But that's just how I read it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sure it all helps, but the original point was that exercise doesn't make as big an impact as you might think

Advertisement