Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theft deterrent

Options
  • 26-01-2015 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

A few cars have been robbed in the area, mainly older ones.
    What is the best way to turn a car off and prevent it from being started?as in can i unplug something in the engine, a fuse?, a plug etc
    What would be the best deterrent.
    Its a 99 Toyota avensis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Your car has an immobiliser anyway. If they're gonna rob it they'll steal the keys first.

There are those that will say the Toyota badge will be a deterrent anyway, so I'll get that out of the way now.

If you want a visible deterrent, a diskloc would put a lot of would-be thieves off. Again, if they rob the key out of your house its useless!

475514732_tp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You car has an immobilizer, nothing for you to worry about once you don't have your key in view from outside your house. I've seen cases of people with steering locks, posts in the driveway and then they hang the keys inside the door.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

A chain and a lock around the steering wheel and the base of the seat. A quick robbery is what they want. They will look in your window and then move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

You car has an immobilizer, nothing for you to worry about once you don't have your key in view from outside your house. I've seen cases of people with steering locks, posts in the driveway and then they hang the keys inside the door.

Yea thanks for that. I thought as much but i wasnt sure.
    And I'm going to invest in the disc lock, it might be only a 99 car but i dont want it stolen.

M

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Yea thanks for that. I thought as much but i wasnt sure.
    And I'm going to invest in the disc lock, it might be only a 99 car but i dont want it stolen.

I'd save the cash, you will find everything robbed was either pre immobilizer days (pre 1996/1997) or was a Japanese import or the keys were stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I'd save the cash, you will find everything robbed was either pre immobilizer days (pre 1996/1997) or was a Japanese import or the keys were stolen.

How can you tell if your car has an immobiliser or not?

I'm in a similar situation with my car (Japanese import), and I don't want this to happen.

Disconnect the battery maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What is the best way to turn a car off and prevent it from being started?as in can i unplug something in the engine, a fuse?, a plug etc
    Its a 99 Toyota avensis.

That should do it. :D

Sorry OP, could not resist. Seriously, best thing imo to do is keep the keys out of sight in the house. Ie don't leave them on the table in the hall close to the letter box.

Pops_20 wrote: »
    How can you tell if your car has an immobiliser or not?

I'm in a similar situation with my car (Japanese import), and I don't want this to happen.

Disconnect the battery maybe?
    You'd usually know by the key. Most japanese imports don't have factory immobilisers. Car thieves know this.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You'd usually know by the key. Most japanese imports don't have factory immobilisers. Car thieves know this.

The key looks like a house key and doesn't have a battery/central locking/electronics built in :D

Are these cars easy enough to steal without the key at all? I'd be looking at some sort of anti-theft device in this case. The car isn't worth that much but you often hear of moderately powerful Japanese Imports being stolen.

OP, I'm in the same boat as yourself, a chain lock around the wheel as suggested here might be the cheapest and most effective way, as suggested already.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cars without immobilisers are easier to steal as they can be stolen the old fashioned way via being hot wired. An alarm with a kill switch is probably a good start.

• Advertisement
    M

The key looks like a house key and doesn't have a battery/central locking/electronics built in :D

No immobilizer then, can be easily robbed with no skills required I am afraid.

Clifford alarm with blackjax Is the right job

How much would one of these alarm and immobilisers cost do you know?

Is it a DIY job or professional install?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

I wouldn't recommend chains as it's very easy to cut through steering wheel and release chains.

I was unfortunate to experience few attempted car thefts. They stole one car though which was later recovered and I put it back on the road. I learned that best security is the one only you know about.

I had to go to the lengths of taking out ecu's, all fuses, ignition wires, coilpacks etc. Ended up paranoid seeing a recovery truck (in case someone wanted to lift it this way) and decided to sell the car as it was too tempting for thieves (Mazda rx7)

I'd recommend go different route and probably have tracker fitted, these are relatively cheap these days. Otherwise an aftermarket immobiliser would help.
    Good immobiliser saved my rx7 but thieves came back next day. It greeted them with most of electronics taken out of car:D They made right mess of the ignition wiring though.

On a side note I sympathise with OP. Having my car stolen was definitely one of the most unpleasant feelings I ever had.

How much would one of these alarm and immobilisers cost do you know?

Is it a DIY job or professional install?

For the Clifford alarms they're professionally fitted. You'd get a nice one for €500ish

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Its a 99 Toyota avensis.

One of these in the back .... ;)

article-2008691-014CEA860000044D-514_226x340.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it's a pro that wants the car it's not much you can do.
    Wheel lock and perhaps a hidden ignition switch will stop joyriders which I suppose is more of a concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

biko wrote: »
    If it's a pro that wants the car it's not much you can do.
    Wheel lock and perhaps a hidden ignition switch will stop joyriders which I suppose is more of a concern?

For a amateur looking for a joyride, most security solutions will do - like immobileiser, good alarm, wheel lock, etc...
    Professional will easily override all typical security systems - even the best immobilaisers and alarms.
    But what professionals won't be able to override, is simple yet nonstandard protection. F.e. some well hidden switch turning off some simple sensor without which engine won't start. Preferably home made.
    Unless he has few hours to spare to diagnose why car is not starting, he won't steal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

A gigantic chain and padlock is what I always used back in the day when I was mad into little jap imports. I even still use the same chain and padlock on my relatively new Octavia even though with all the security electronics that it has would make it fierce difficult to take anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

I used to weave a chain in and around the pedals.
    Anything to slow them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

Has anyone come across a facility to remotely activate the car alarm? I'm thinking ear piercing noise whilst its been stolen/driven, it wont stop the act but its better than just rolling over and waving bye bye to the car

Or even better a fuel kill switch? Not sure if these are even legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Clifford alarm with blackjax Is the right job

And if you get one of these, don't put the alarm siren under the bonnet like 90% of them.

Do, however, hide the blackjax input somewhere not visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Stingray wrote: »
    Has anyone come across a facility to remotely activate the car alarm? I'm thinking ear piercing noise whilst its been stolen/driven, it wont stop the act but its better than just rolling over and waving bye bye to the car

Or even better a fuel kill switch? Not sure if these are even legal?

Years ago, when cars were easily stolen, my Dad had a car with an electric fuel pump. He installed a small switch under the dash. The car would start fine from whatever was in the fuel line, but would stop within 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Previously posted on boards.... someone used to put a wooden 2x4 with a load of nails sticking out of it under a blanket on the drivers seat every night.

Thought it was brilliant, as long as you remember to move is yourself in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've taken to fitting these:

gpsk-s1%20colour-228x228.jpg

Connected to a tracker (Its a dual purpose GSM / FM antenna) Its tricky to jam as the GPS is sitting at the base of the antenna and has clear line of sight to the sky. Depending on the tracker, the accuracy and lock time can be very impressive. If you are even more fancy, you can use the actual antenna for GSM / 3G and FM.

The more eagle'd eyes amoungst you will recognize the antenna base ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

More details on that please ironclaw.
    Interested in a tracker, not so interested in cutting holes in roof though.

Caliden wrote: »
    And if you get one of these, don't put the alarm siren under the bonnet like 90% of them.

Do, however, hide the blackjax input somewhere not visible.

Done and done :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've used a GPS GSM tracker. Texts me if it senses a vibration, of it goes over a certain speed, if it moves out of a pre defined area. On top of that, I can ring it, and listen to what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

More details on that please ironclaw.
    Interested in a tracker, not so interested in cutting holes in roof though.

No cut required. You merely replacing the antenna. It works better if you have an existing back-roof antenna. If you don't e.g. BMW SharkFin etc, then you may have issues and may need to cut or replace the fin.

Its then a simple case of wiring it up. Radio stuff can be a little more complicated if you want FM and GSM / 3G at the same time, not impossible though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

antodeco wrote: »
    I've used a GPS GSM tracker. Texts me if it senses a vibration, of it goes over a certain speed, if it moves out of a pre defined area. On top of that, I can ring it, and listen to what's going on.

Mind my asking where you bought this? I'm looking into getting a GPS-device for my car to track & trace if taken.

Thanks,

Advertisement