Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would you vote for in the Greek election?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

SeanW wrote: »
    What exactly is there going to be to enjoy?
    Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not see it at all. But if it does happen, it will be an interesting case of a people who are deluding themselves and expecting the gravy train to continue running hard up against economic reality. It will be amusing listening to the ULA and Sinn Fein explain how what is happening in Greece is not what would have happened in Ireland had we followed their counsel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

SeanW wrote: »
    ...What exactly is there going to be to enjoy?

the shattering sound of hubris hitting the floor?

if this had been brought about by a dictatorship, or an unforseeable and desperately unlucky chance, then you'd not find me crowing - but its not, its been brought about because the Greeks thought they were special, that they were better than the rest of us, because not only could they have nice things without paying fror them, but that we should pay for them to have nice things that we don't get to have because we can't afford them.

that the harsh realities of ecomonics and politics didn't apply to them, only to us mere mortals, and that they could coast along on the hard work and prudence of the lesser peoples and in that return they would grace us with their presence.

personally, i find the spectacle of punctured delusion and ego rather enjoyable - especially when that ego and delusion was at my expence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I would put money on New Democracy winning this election. The Greeks might protest, but like the Irish, if they are confronted with the prospect of leaving the Euro, they will do whatever it takes to protect the country and their livelihoods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

OS119 wrote: »
    Popcorn, 6 pack, sofa and 24hr news - my entertainment for the next few weeks will be either watching a load of opportunists doing some frantic back-peddling once the Greeks have been stupid enough to put them in government, or watching Greece turn in to Somalia on the Med, or Zimbabwe...
    The irony of an Irishman displaying glee at the prospect of Greece being cut loose is pathetic.

Ireland has made mistakes, just like Greece have. The only chance we have of making the European project work is through solidarity.

The irony of an Irishman displaying glee at the prospect of Greece being cut loose is pathetic.

Ireland has made mistakes, just like Greece have. The only chance we have of making the European project work is through solidarity.
    And part of solidarity is accepting the hangover after you've partied for a decade or two. The Greeks have already had 100 billion odd Euros of their rightful debt written off. Contrast this with Ireland - we have had tens of billions of private debt added to our national debt thanks to Fianna Fail.

And still they think we will continue to fund their voluntary tax system and bloated public sector. Where is their solidarity with the people keeping them out of the gutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

For those who are interested we can expect results at about 6:30 Irish time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

cristoir wrote: »
    For those who are interested we can expect results at about 6:30 Irish time.

am or pm

PM and they will be the first exit polls only afaik.

Two grenades thrown (by masked men on motorcycles - I wonder which party they support) at the Greek version of RTE, neither went off.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    PM and they will be the first exit polls only afaik.

Two grenades thrown (by masked men on motorcycles - I wonder which party they support) at the Greek version of RTE, neither went off.
    There does seem to be a violent thread running through far-left politics in Italy, Greece and other European countries that we fortunately have not seen here (unless you count the Marxist IRA types).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

There does seem to be a violent thread running through far-left politics in Italy, Greece and other European countries that we fortunately have not seen here (unless you count the Marxist IRA types).

Well it could have been golden dawn supporters.

My own suspicions were pre-conceptually drawn towards the Golden Dawn end of things!

Pedant wrote: »
    Well it could have been golden dawn supporters.
    Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    My own suspicions were pre-conceptually drawn towards the Golden Dawn end of things!

Yes, of course ye are correct. Golden Dawn's ties with the police/military might explain the presence of grenades and the failure to apprehend the culprits. But my money is still on the left wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Yes, of course ye are correct. Golden Dawn's ties with the police/military might explain the presence of grenades and the failure to apprehend the culprits. But my money is still on the left wingers.

I'd say it's the anarchists myself as anyone who is running in the election (especially Syriza) have far too much to lose if they were found to be behind this. The anarchists have no respect for the electoral system anyway so they have nothing to lose.

Advertisement