Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Founders isn't Irish though.

Very true but the same can be said for all craft beer imo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Very true but the same can be said for all craft beer imo

Eh, except for the Irish ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

BaZmO* wrote: »

ok maybe I need another coffee.

I was trying, probably very poorly, to make the point that you need to be picky with all craft beer and not just Irish ones.

Its early and Monday so go easy lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Had Buxton's Double Axe DIPA 13.6%, great stuff follwed by a White Gypsy Porter on cask , very light mouth feel but once I got used to it very enjoyable and to finish a Founders Curmudgeon, a less sweet "Dirty Bastard" another great Founders beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Just had a btl of the Brehon Brewhousr red ale, as red ales go it's not bad. much better than Mcgargles, Kenmare and Clew bay i have tasted lately.

Now having Jack Cody's amber ale, nice enough beer. not a style i would normally drink but this is better than the 12th Abbey i tried last week.

have the Cody's Pilsner to try next, again not a style i would drink to often but want to brew some soon so looking for inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Had some of the Jack Cody's Pilsner at the weekend. Liked it. Would like it a lot more on a hot day.

Agreed on 12 Abbey. Their pale ale is awful stuff. The amber/red is a bit better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Saw 750ml bottles of Leffe Nectar in Tesco (£2.99). Anyone have anything nice to say about it? Sounds like it will be awfully sweet.

leffe_nectar_pack_1glass_0.png?itok=bf4p_-i2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Karpackie

Was in O'Neill's of Suffolk Street on Saturday for the match. Not a place I'd normally frequent, but what a selection of Irish craft beers on tap.
    Had a Galway Hooker Porter. Which I'd never heard of before. It was fairly decent. Nothing more than that though. Real bang of roasted coffee off it which isn't to my taste.

Went back to their pale ale. The success of Hooker means I can order it in pubs I'd never have believed would have tried something new. And selling like hot cakes in most of them by all accounts. So I wasn't been adventerous by ordering it. It's still my default session beer if I fancy a fair few.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Long time reader, first time poster in this thread...thought I might try to keep better track of new beers I try rather than the current 'take-a-picture-of-it-with-phone-and-if-it-was-great-or-terrible-I-will-remember-it' approach!

Tonight I had a scrumptious Evil Twin Brewing 'Falco', decent IPA, strong enough at 7% but easy to drink, similar enough to BrewDog Hardcore Punk IPA but a little more lively, fresher and less alcohol taste, good mix of sweet like a pineapple thrown at a crate of citrus, masking a Geuze-ish sour! Will definitely try more of these so called Gypsy-brews from that company.

A Lomza Export Niefiltrowane next to clean out the palate so I could actually taste ANYTHING(!) after that sensory explosion... This beer seems to have horrid ratings on ratebeer but I like it quite a bit and drink it quite often, the other two Lomza offerings we get here are not great but this one has a nice subtle milky character, reminds me of a lot of Lithuanian farmhouse ales, very subtle, but very refreshing and a great beer to have after/between anything with a lot of flavour.

Next a Sierra Nevada 'Snow Wit' White IPA. I have yet to be disappointed by any SN beer I have ever tried and this just continues that...them guys sure know how to go from Micro to Macro without ruining the process with time/money savers like flavourings and are always releasing new delicious wonders *tips hat*. Nice blend of Belgian Wit, wheaty but CLEAN with a grapefruit hammering away on the front, very nice blend, seldom to come across an IPA you would consider 'clean' as they are nice and dirty by their very nature.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 anticonscience

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

A question about three Christmas/Winter beers:

O'Hara's Winter Star
    Bateman's Rosey Nosey
    Wychwood Bah Humbug

These seem to be very widely available this year. Has anyone tried them and, if so, what's the verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Was delighted to find Franciscan Well Rebel Red and Chieftain IPA on draft in Bradys in Maynooth. Good to have any sort of craft available in the local pubs at last!

That's great news regaridng Bradys.
    The Halfway House on the Navan Road also has those two beers on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Heroditas wrote: »
    That's great news regaridng Bradys.
    The Halfway House on the Navan Road also has those two beers on draught.

Good to hear! Hole in the Wall not too far away has ~4 craft taps too (last I was there it was the Full Irish, Big Hop Red, Sierra Nevada pale ale, and an O'Haras tap I think - maybe the Natural Blonde)

...speaking of The Hole in The Wall, they are running some kind of Craft Beer & Wine Festival next Monday (!) night.

They have a decent off licence, in which you can buy beer for drinking in the pub too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

...speaking of The Hole in The Wall, they are running some kind of Craft Beer & Wine Festival next Monday (!) night.

They have a decent off licence, in which you can buy beer for drinking in the pub too.

Haven't been in there for a while, but the had at least 4 Irish craft beers on tap. Lovely food there too.

Weird.
    Weird.

Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Weird

Related?

no clue, account is banned but

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

I'll be there pouring White Hag samples- drop over and say hello.

Ger from Lefevre will be there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Heroditas wrote:
    That's great news regaridng Bradys. The Halfway House on the Navan Road also has those two beers on draught.

Bradys also have McGargles. If that's your thing. Think it might be in O'Neills as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

toffeeshel wrote: »
    I'll be there pouring White Hag samples- drop over and say hello.

Ger from Lefevre will be there too

Ohh!!! Big White Hag fan here- from bottle or keg, & if the latter, is the Imperial Stout one of them? (Please say yes!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

revz wrote: »
    Good to hear! Hole in the Wall not too far away has ~4 craft taps too (last I was there it was the Full Irish, Big Hop Red, Sierra Nevada pale ale, and an O'Haras tap I think - maybe the Natural Blonde)

They also had rascals Ginger porter, but it may have been subbed out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Re the hole in the wall

Craft beer & wine fair Mon 1st Dec, tickets @ €15. All proceeds go to @SVP_Ireland

Weird to have it on a Monday, but that place does be absolutely hectic at weekends, especially in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Waterloo Tripel 7 Blond by Brasserie du Bocq : a little citrus taste and maybe honey and typical Belgian hoppy kick.
    Nothing special but grand with the dinner.

Leffe Ruby : very sweet and almost like a syrup feel to it. Too sweet for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Okell's 1907 India Pale ale, a souveneir of this year's TT races.
    Golden amber with a frothy head, tropical fruits with a robust hop bitterness 6.1% ABV
    A fantastic English style IPA, would definately try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Had Pale Ale's from Barrelhead and MetalMan on draft recently.
    While not a huge Pale Ale fan, both were decent and while Barrelhead's was nicer I would be happy to have either again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lagunitas Brown Shugga, as the name implies it is brewed with brown sugar. It's a Barley Wine but it reminded me of some of their IPAs. Very nice with a lovely mouth feel and goes down easy for 9.9%.
    I have a bottle of Lagunitas Sucks for thanksgiving today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Had a Camden Town India Hells Lager, I'm not a fan of lager, but his was well hopped and very nice!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement