Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided to get the Christmas whiskey early. Have you tried any of these?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that there are strict controls on alcohol imports (excise duty, etc.), it's fairly obvious that couriers wouldn't accept it.

Same goes for tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

But don't all Amazon orders get shipped in that generic brown cardboard box? If so, Parcel Motel would never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Geuze wrote: »
    Given that there are strict controls on alcohol imports (excise duty, etc.), it's fairly obvious that couriers wouldn't accept it.

Same goes for tobacco.

Couriers have no problem delivering whiskey from masterofmalt or whiskyexchange which I think both at UK based.
    As for excise duty, I'd have to look into it. But I got a few bottles from master of malt last year and I don't think I paid any duty.

robocode wrote: »
    But don't all Amazon orders get shipped in that generic brown cardboard box? If so, Parcel Motel would never know.

I think I'll let it roll, see what happens!!

God speed (and keep me posted) :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Parcel Motel opened my parcel & e-mailed me with a photo of the contents.
    Declaration docket/invoice was attached to the parcel in one of those self adhesive window type things.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've a decision to make, but I need the advice of people who know their whiskeys.

Option a) Redbreast 12 Year Old or
    Option b) Yellow Spot

There's €10 of a difference in the prices. Is the Yellow Spot worth the extra few quid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

55 for green spot? Brilliant. Has anyone tried yellow spot yet? Seriously thinking of dropping some cash for it

I tried them both. Nice whiskeys but my palate is more suited to green spot than yellow spot. Maybe it was my wallet telling my palate :P
    An File wrote:
    I've a decision to make, but I need the advice of people who know their whiskeys.

Option b) Yellow Spot

There's €10 of a difference in the prices. Is the Yellow Spot worth the extra few quid?

If it was me, I would go for the Redbreast 12 year old. One of my favourite whiskeys. Everybody is different though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

An File wrote: »

Option b) Yellow Spot

Both excellent whiskeys. I'd go for the Powers John's Lane though!

robocode wrote: »
    God speed (and keep me posted) :P

It arrived. Delighted 71euro and 4.50e for PM. Decent enough value. At that price I won't feel the need to spare it and make it last! Don't know if I just got lucky or they are not that strict. I'd imagine there flat out at the moment so maybe it just slipped through.

• Advertisement

Pics

So it does say it on the box, interesting! Bought the Talisker in Supervalu last week for €47, so €71 is great! Enjoy!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Picked up both Lidl and Aldi's Christmas special whiskeys since the weekend.

The Lidl Abrachan has no age marked on it but does go in to detail about the casks used; decent enough - suggestions that it may be a Whyte & Mackay product going on the company name on the bottle. Not sure I'd get a second bottle but its not going to languish on the shelf anyway. €24.99 but tastes more like a 30+ blended scotch

Not opened the Glen Marnoch Islay "limited release" from Aldi yet, reviews seem decent and suggest it tastes like a young Caol Isla but it's a blend so its not going to be just that. Also no age statement, also 24.99

Looking at getting something dearer and Irish to finish off the selection now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bottle of lagavulin 16 year old coming through flaviar - they're based in the uk so should be ok with duty. Have heard their delivery times are sketchy but at €50 all in it was hard to turn down.

Picked up a bottle of white label Bushmills in Aldi last night - will do as a tippler. Hard to leave it there at €20.

The Jameson select reserve caught my eye as well

http://www.obrienswine.ie/jameson-select-reserve-70cl.html

sounds good from reviews. Or might get some Bushmills 10 year old single malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I was in Ireland for the last two months, tried out a lot of interesting whiskeys, the Jameson Black Barrel was excellent, after the initial bottle, i went back and got 5 more. Great taste and excellent value. That will be my Christmas whiskey, although i might get either the Paddy Centenary or Midleton Very Rare 2014 for my Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone care to recommend me a single malt to buy. I wouldn't be the most experienced whiskey drinker, quite the opposite in fact. Im not a fan of the more common brands like Jameson, Paddy etc.

I've recently taken a shine to the 10 year old Tullamore Dew Single Malt. Looking for something similar as I found it really smooth and much more drinkable.

Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Trond wrote: »
    Anyone care to recommend me a single malt to buy. I wouldn't be the most experienced whiskey drinker, quite the opposite in fact. Im not a fan of the more common brands like Jameson, Paddy etc.

I've recently taken a shine to the 10 year old Tullamore Dew Single Malt. Looking for something similar as I found it really smooth and much more drinkable.

Thanks....

Try The Irishman single malt,the one in the gold box,not the 12 yo,it's a cracking whiskey and good value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thanks....

Lockes 8 year old Single Malt is a nice bottle of joy from that part of the world as well.

Cheers gents I 'll give them both a try.

The Irishman single malt is €47 and Lockes €48 in the Celtic Whisky Shop. Anywhere cheaper than that?

Another question if I may.....picked up a bottle of Jonnie Walker Gold Reserve on black Friday. Has anyone tried it and how would they rate it?

Thanks

Right so following on from the above I decided to buy a few single malts to taste over the xmas or maybe sooner!

got these in 5cl bottles;

Laphroaig 10yr
    Auchentoshan 12yr
    Bowmore 18yr
    Nikka 12yr
    Teeling
    Irishman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

What's the best way to drink all of these whiskeys, are ye all drinking them the same way, neat? No ice, no water, no mixer etc.

I like whiskey, but find it a bit hard to drink, and find myself mixing with a dash of 7up,
    And i also need ice on it.

So, teach me the best way to take it, i know we all have different tastes etc but I'm sure theres the basics,

Also food? Snacking with your whiskey anyone? What's your munch? Or is that distroying the taste?

P_Cash wrote: »
    What's the best way to drink all of these whiskeys, are ye all drinking them the same way, neat? No ice, no water, no mixer etc.

I like whiskey, but find it a bit hard to drink, and find myself mixing with a dash of 7up,
    And i also need ice on it.

So, teach me the best way to take it, i know we all have different tastes etc but I'm sure theres the basics,

Also food? Snacking with your whiskey anyone? What's your munch? Or is that distroying the taste?

From what I know ( which isnt much!) single malts should be drank with a tiny drop water and nothing else.

Couldnt resist sampling a couple of my purchases listed above.

The Laphroaig blew me away, different than anything Ive ever tasted. The Teeling was nice enough, wont be buying a full bottle though.

No idea about food tbh. My taste buds are still reeling from the Laphroaig!

Just took delivery of a lagavulin 16 year old from flaviar - 3 weeks delivery (it's stamped from Slovenia) but at €50 delivered its a steal - off licences here quoting the guts of €80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Bottle of lagavulin 16 year old coming through flaviar - they're based in the uk so should be ok with duty. Have heard their delivery times are sketchy but at €50 all in it was hard to turn down.

Picked up a bottle of white label Bushmills in Aldi last night - will do as a tippler. Hard to leave it there at €20.

The Jameson select reserve caught my eye as well

http://www.obrienswine.ie/jameson-select-reserve-70cl.html

sounds good from reviews. Or might get some Bushmills 10 year old single malt.
    Just took delivery of a lagavulin 16 year old from flaviar - 3 weeks delivery (it's stamped from Slovenia) but at €50 delivered its a steal - off licences here quoting the guts of €80.

yeah was just gonna tell you that they ain't based in Uk

not sure on lagavulin itslef but their whiskeys are only about 5e cheaper than celtic whiskey shop on the ones I've checked.

yeah was just gonna tell you that they ain't based in Uk

not sure on lagavulin itslef but their whiskeys are only about 5e cheaper than celtic whiskey shop on the ones I've checked.

I think I got a good deal on the lagavulin - celtic whiskey shop looking for just shy of €80. Which is a bit eye watering.

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/scottish-whisky-home-page/lagavulin-16-year-old

Buy yeah once you factor in shipping and currency (they do price in euros though) it can be a close thing, they do seem to do a lot of specials that would still be a good bit cheaper than buying in a bricks and mortar off licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

I think I got a good deal on the lagavulin - celtic whiskey shop looking for just shy of €80. Which is a bit eye watering.

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/scottish-whisky-home-page/lagavulin-16-year-old

Buy yeah once you factor in shipping and currency (they do price in euros though) it can be a close thing, they do seem to do a lot of specials that would still be a good bit cheaper than buying in a bricks and mortar off licence

true
    I will warn you - they have brutal customer service.
    I have 2 emails still unasnwered from them - they were automatically answered.

bought a bushmills 16 myself at weekend (my favourite) think there is enough in the kitty for a Redbeast 12 or 15 next week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

From what I know ( which isnt much!) single malts should be drank with a tiny drop water and nothing else.

Couldnt resist sampling a couple of my purchases listed above.

The Laphroaig blew me away, different than anything Ive ever tasted. The Teeling was nice enough, wont be buying a full bottle though.

No idea about food tbh. My taste buds are still reeling from the Laphroaig!

My advice would be to try the whisky neat at first and see how it tastes, then add a drop of water and see how it changes the flavour and then decide which you prefer.

Personally I wouldn't add ice or 7up or whatever to a single malt as you would be missing out on a lot of the flavours. If I was in the pub and just drinking a Jameson or something I'd have no problem adding some ice to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dark chocolate is very nice with most whiskeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Flaviar is a funny one. Have only noticed them recently. I'm sure they're fine, but their advertising is a little odd. They were advertising Green Spot recently and attributed the quote "the Pappy van Winkle of Ireland" to Whisky Intelligence. But Whisky Intelligence is just a site that publishes press releases from the whisky industry. They also had an article about Japanese whisky this month, suggesting Karuizawa was in operation and owned by Kirin. They didn't mention that it's been closed for over 10 years and all their stock was bought by Number One Drinks.

• Advertisement

Dark chocolate is very nice with most whiskeys.

I agree. Two of my loves are dark chocolate and a nice whiskey. Odd combination but can taste very nice.

Advertisement