Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excessive Sweating in gym

• 12-01-2015 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kildare snooker

Slightly embarrassing topic.
    Ive put on a good bit of weight the last few years,I've suffered with depression and kinda just locked myself away from everyone etc,so the kilos piled on,the last year or so I've been doing everything in my power to change that,I'm active again and enjoying training and trying to get back into shape.\Thing is I'm finding myself trying to only go to the gym when i know its quiet and sometimes when i get there and its busy i turn away,the reason for this is because I'm very self counties of he fact that for some reason I'm sweating so much whilst i exercise,my forehead does be dripping,needles to say I'm battling depression as it is and having this happen whilst trying to improve myself is not helping,and I've had people comment on it which hasn't helped my confidence.
    Can anyone explain why its happening? can anyone recommend things i can do to fix this so i can train away happily and feel like i could talk to people whilst there instead of trying to hide my face from embarrassment of it being glowing red and dripping in sweat.
    Any help would really be appreciated thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tightloop

I wouldn't worry about it, I know it's easier said than done if you're self conscious about it. In my gym some people barely break a sweat while others are soaked. For me personally I rarely sweat a lot when lifting weights but get me on a treadmill or exercise bike and I look like I've just come in from the monsoon!

Relax, everyone's there to work and get sweaty. And no one's looking at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Most of the other people around you will be sweating. Have a towel at hand and you'll be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

sweating is expected!!!
    just use a sweat towel and nobody will care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Bring a towel with you and make sur eyou wipe down equipment after use.

I ususally end up leaving a little puddle under the exercise bike if I'm on it for 45mins.
    I have learned not to wear my grey shorts when doing cardio. When I do it looks like I've wet myself afterwards.

If you are working hard then you will sweat. Some people sweat more than others. I know I do. Try not to let it bother you. If people say stuff to you tell them mind their own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Grats on joining the gym and starting to make a change. Getting fit will only have positive affects to your mental health and confidence. Keep it up.

As per tightloop, no one's looking at you, everyone is doing their own thing and if they're looking at anyone it's themselves. I get why you're self-conscious about this but just go in, give it socks and sweat yer ass off. You should see the state of me after a spin class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

as said above, no one cares how much you sweat as long as you wipe down machines after you use them.... buy a few gym towels so you have a good supply of them...

Fair play for wanting to change, its a great step to take to start exercising....

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭qb123

Would also suggest getting some special running gear etc. that keeps you cooler when working out - results in a lot less sweat than normal t-shirt. Otherwise, as others have said, just bring a towel and you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kildare snooker

Thanks for the advice, i always have a bowl with me and wipe down machines.
    I guess its just normal(ish)
    I do feel very akward leaving thou,even after washing my face is still glowing red with sea even thou I've showered etc. any ideas why that is?

thank you boardie100 I'm trying to make a change,that fella brass or whatever his name is that speaks out has really inspired me to get on with it.

Sure i always look like I've just been under a shower as well, that's what it's there for! I stay fairly on fire for a good while after maybe it's a case of not cooling down properly.
    In any case good work and keep it up and try not to worry about it, other people don't care or notice half as much as you think they do, they've their own stuff to be getting on with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

I wouldn't worry too much about it.. from the posts above it seems 9/10 people sweat like animals and im in that group too.

look at it this way, your in a gym, everyone is working out and oblivious to whats happening around them so you have nothing to worry about.

enjoy it and keep at it!

best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

in winter there is very visible steam coming off me!

guess it shows my metabolism is working :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Slightly embarrassing topic.
    Ive put on a good bit of weight the last few years,I've suffered with depression and kinda just locked myself away from everyone etc,so the kilos piled on,the last year or so I've been doing everything in my power to change that,I'm active again and enjoying training and trying to get back into shape.\Thing is I'm finding myself trying to only go to the gym when i know its quiet and sometimes when i get there and its busy i turn away,the reason for this is because I'm very self counties of he fact that for some reason I'm sweating so much whilst i exercise,my forehead does be dripping,needles to say I'm battling depression as it is and having this happen whilst trying to improve myself is not helping,and I've had people comment on it which hasn't helped my confidence.
    Can anyone explain why its happening? can anyone recommend things i can do to fix this so i can train away happily and feel like i could talk to people whilst there instead of trying to hide my face from embarrassment of it being glowing red and dripping in sweat.
    Any help would really be appreciated thank you

I wouldn't care mate I am after putting back on loads of weight again too probably about four stone but I love going gym and believe me I sweat unreal too but I look around and most other people are doing same plus its a sign your doing a good workout it be worse if you were coming outa gym not after working up a sweat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm embarrassed if I don't sweat enough!! Don't worry about it. It just means you're doing it right. Keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Wouldn't even worry about it.

I've been pouring sweat from doing just an ab set, like literally pouring.
    So long as you have a towel and wipe up after yourself there's nothing to worry about.

It's also a good sign that you're not dehydrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Those sweatbands you wear on your wrists can be a Godsend, OP.
    Just pop them on and wipe your face/head etc with the band as you work out.
    I got two pairs in Lifestyle Sports and they're weren't dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I have been training years and still sweat buckets.

Just bring an extra towel. One for wiping sweat and another for after the shower.

Congratulations on joining the gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

I used to go to the gym with a guy who never had proper gym gear. He would train in the sort of stuff you might wear to dig the garden or do some dirty jobs around the house - old vests / undershirts, old trousers, crappy shoes etc.

He would sweat so much that his top would be literally wringing wet after a few minutes. His shorts - when he wore them - would rip up the arse when he did squats, and he would leave puddles of sweat everywhere, although he would mop them up with paper. Once a girl was going to work in on the GHR with us, but when she saw the amount of sweat on it after his set, had a rethink and I never saw her use it again.

He would also groan and roar and curse really loudly while lifting. If he forgot his shorts / trunks, he wouldn't skip the jacuzzi or plunge pool or steam room or sauna, but would get in in his trousers. Once I saw him dry himself after a shower with paper towels because he forgot his towel.

I'm not sure I have a point, except maybe that this was someone who was probably causing genuine offence in the gym but I doubt he ever gave a second's thought to what others were thinking about him. I suppose I could have been embarrassed to be seen with him if I had thought about it, too, but I didn't really care either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Why didn't you speak to the gym management about him?

Most gyms have quite strict rule regarding foot wear and especially what you can wear in the pool areas. If clean clothes are not worn this can spread a host of infections like ring worm and impetigo to name a few.

There was a lad training in dirty rugby gear in the gym I train in and I had a word with him first. He didn't stop training so I had a word with management.

He was asked to stop training and to only train in clean gear in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

Like I said, I didn't really care. He wasn't dirty or unhygienic, he was just oblivious to appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I have a shower in my gym gear before I go to the gym.

#EatCleanTrainClean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I like it when the hawt girls sweat all.over the equipment

>.>
    <.<
    *sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

When I'm working hard I sweat like a beast and I love it!!!!

+1 to buying proper fitness wear. Cotton is heavy, too warm, and will make you sweat more.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

Thanks for the advice, i always have a bowl with me and wipe down machines.
    I guess its just normal(ish)
    I do feel very akward leaving thou,even after washing my face is still glowing red with sea even thou I've showered etc. any ideas why that is?

thank you boardie100 I'm trying to make a change,that fella brass or whatever his name is that speaks out has really inspired me to get on with it.

im bright red leaving too, dont worry about it... plus as others have said everyone else doesnt care what you look like.... its a sign you did some actual exercise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I'm one too OP, no worries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I sweat a lot, even in the warm up.
    I bring a towel, and sometimes change my shirt half way through a session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

It's normal OP. I'm another one and in the gym most days. Towel and plenty of water and you'll be grand.

p.s Fair play to you for going back! Hope things are starting to improve for you. Not easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I'm the Gazza's tears of sweating if only it was an Olympic sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Are you taking anti-depressants OP? If so, that could be related to the sweating. When I was on them I would sweat buckets and used to be very self-conscious about it - always had a towel at hand to wipe myself off, otherwise I'd be dripping puddles of sweat onto the floor! I was probably the only one who noticed it but it used to get to me.
    Now I still sweat but not as profusely. And I couldn't care less how I look when I'm exercising any more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

If I do a proper piece on the rowing machine, I sweat loads all over; sweat marks down my back, under my boobs, on me arse, everywhere! Its just part of working out. I never get conscious about it even though its clearly visible on my clothes. It just means I've got the heart rate up and worked hard. If you are really conscious about it, wear some black gym clothes, the sweat marks won't be as visible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

trained in a shirt a couple of times over the years if I had forgotten my tshirt

quiet liked looking in the mirror putting the collar up/down. Unbuttoning buttons, rolling sleeves up or down

felt very macho in the end and felt like an action hero

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Anybody who would judge you for trying to improve yourself is a loser whose opinion you shouldn't care about, op. Just be sure to bring a towel with you and wipe off the equipment afterwards, which everyone who isn't a disgusting, disrespectful fuk does

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Apparently sweating more and earlier is just an unavoidable side-effect of becoming fitter - your body adapts to being fitter by becoming more efficient at combating over-heating. There have been a few studies of this that showed that with fit and unfit people doing the same amount of exercise, the fit people will sweat more.

Socially - I think everyone expects and is totally fine with sweat at a gym, to be honest when I see someone who isn't sweating, I wonder if they're just there for the posing.

Advertisement