Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 weeks of GVT to bring me to LV

Options
  • 14-10-2013 9:26am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Starting this to keep me focused, on track and just in case anyone is arsed reading it :D

In 15 weeks I go on holidays to Las Vegas so I wanted a program that would run right the way up to keep my mind off it (already stupidly excited about going back)

The split I'm doing is 2 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 2 on - so 5/7. Chest/Back, Legs/Abs and Arms/Shoulders.

Reading up on it people were saying to start really light as you'll underestimate how tough 10x10 is. With that, here is today's workout:

Warm up & stretches (don't know the names of these so won't bother for now)

Flat DB bench press (semi-supinated grip) 10kgx2 - 10x10
    Chin ups - 10x2. This is something I've struggled with always so replaced these with front facing palm grip lat pull downs. Open to suggestions to change this but my gym doesn't have a chin up support machine.

Incline DB chest flyes 10kgx2 - 10x3
    DB Row 17.5kgx2 - 10x3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

GVT is very tough, I did 6 weeks a few months ago and found it very draining. I did make some decent progress in muscular endurance. 14 weeks is a long cycle. You only get the benefit once in on the weight range where the last 2-3 set are really hard and your struggeling/failing to get you reps.

Best of luck with it, it will be a real achievement to complete this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

GVT is very tough, I did 6 weeks a few months ago and found it very draining. I did make some decent progress in muscular endurance. 14 weeks is a long cycle. You only get the benefit once in on the weight range where the last 2-3 set are really hard and your struggeling/failing to get you reps.

Best of luck with it, it will be a real achievement to complete this.

Thanks for this. I've picked 14 weeks solely for the purpose to bring me into holiday mode. It'll leave me just over a week before my hols and that will be my down week were I do nothing.

It also (almost) works out perfectly for doing 2 cycles of phase 1. 6 weeks of phase 1, 3 weeks or phase 2 and then another 5 weeks of phase 1.

If it's too over bearing after the first cycle of 9 weeks I'll look to change it up. Going to take pictures every week too.

Tomorrow is probably where I'll struggle the most. 10x10 50kg AST squats :(

BRING ON THE DOMS!!!

Ummm yes, leg day is a killer. DOMS will be debilitating if your rest and nutrition are not good. When I mean good I really mean surplus. You need to be eating loads and getting good sleep. GVT on a deficit must be terrible.

As expected today was horrid.

Starting off with squats was cruel. Wanted to be finished and go home after the 6th or 7th set. Nevertheless - *it's all done

Squats: 50kg 10x10
    Lying Leg Curls: 15kg 10x10 (need to move up to 20kg)

*Decline weighted crunches: 6kg DB 10x10 (didn't have something for my feet for the cable pull ins. Will sort this for next week)
    Standing Calf Raise: 80kg 10x10

There's no seated calf machine so just swapped it for standing. Not sure if I should have done calf raises on the leg press or not though...

Phase 1 Day 3

Today was a lot tougher than I thought. Genuinely felt like this would have been the easier of the 3 days. DOMS from squats weren't as bad as anticipated but they were tired all day yesterday.

Dips: 5x10 (couldn't manage anymore so moved to tricep pulldowns)
    Tricep pulldown: 5x10
    Incline Hammer Curls: 10x10 @20kg - this is what killed me the most. Really wanted to quit after this

Bent-Over Dumbbell Lateral Raises: 3x10 @10kg
    Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raises: 3x10 @10kg (This will go up for next week)

Enjoying it so far but find myself needing to eat a hell of a lot more!

• Advertisement

Yesterday was supposed to be Chest/Back. I wanted to go to the gym later in the evening when it would be quieter except I left it too late (the gym also changed their times) - it was closed.

So today was

Flat semi-supinated bench press :10x10 @25kg
    Chin ups: Could only manager one set here and then moved to lat pulldowns
    Lat Pulldowns: 9x10 @49kg

Incline Chest flies: 10, 8, 8 @20kg
    Dumbbell Rows 3x10 @40kg

Upped the weights on the BP from earlier in the week and I think this is what halted my flies towards the end...

This is going horrible at the minute. Since late Friday I was coming down with something. Went to the gym on Sunday feeling fairly under the weather, didn't give it my all.

Monday was meant to be legs/abs but took the day off work in the hopes I'd recover quickly to get back to the gym on Tuesday (today). Woke up this morning feeling just as bad as yesterday.

Lost my voice, coughing up a lung every couple of minutes and generally just feeling totally run into the ground. No energy for anything. No appetite either. Have eaten one meal since Sunday.

Hope to get back to the gym by the weekend but anything before that will be a miracle.

Finally I get to post here again :D

Had a fairly miserable week. Half of which was off from work at home either on the couch or in bed. Still slightly under the weather but well enough to tackle the gym.

Picked up where I left off, leg day.

Back squats: 10x10 @50kg
    Lying leg curls: 10x10 @20kg

Lying cable pull-ins: 3x10 @3rd pin down (unknown weight)
    Standing Calf Raise: 3x10 @80kg

Didn't really struggle with anything today but worked really hard on hitting low squats. Everything after the first set was as low as I could go. Ass was practically hitting my heels.

Pretty sure I'll be feeling this one tomorrow :)

Yesterday was a rest day and it was well and truly needed. Legs are still a bit sore today. Glad it was arms and shoulders today.

Onwards and upwards

Tricep pushdowns: 10x10 (unsure on weight but it was the second last pin on the first level)
    Incline hammer curls: 10x10 @20kg

Bent over lat raises: 10x3 15kg (Thought I was OK to move up - I'm not. Back down for next session)
    Seated lat raises: 10x3 @10kg. This can probably be bumped to 15kg. Will give it a go.
    OHP: 10x3 @20kg

The week off last week has really taken me down a bit. I'm more motivated than before being sick but still feeling slightly weak/tired and not 100%. Rest day tomorrow and hopefully will be fighting fit on Friday.

Today sucked. Really bad. My arms were still a little shot yesterday and I had 2 hours of bowling last night so this only made my right arm even more tired and thus, today was rubbish. Failed on a few things.

Flat semi-supinated BP: 5x10 @25kg, 1x9 @25kg, 1x8 @25kg, 1x7 @25kg - dropped to 20kg and finished it out. 2x10 @20kg
    Lat pulldowns: 10x10 @42kg

Low cable flyes: 3x10 (3rd weight down)
    Incline flyes: 3x10 @20kg
    Dumbbell rows: 3x10 @35kg - can comfortably move this back up to 40kg.

• Advertisement

Meant to be in the gym yesterday but had a house party on Friday and never made it into the gym on time on Saturday. Had bowling practice this morning for 2 hours so didn't go as heavy on my legs as before. Still managed the following:

Back squats: 10x10 ATG @40kg
    Lying leg curls: 10x10 @20kg

Lying leg pull ins: 3x10 (third tier down)
    Standing calf raise: 3x10 @70kg
    Seated calf raise: 3x10 @106kg

Pretty sure walking will not be an option tomorrow.

Success! Stretched a lot yesterday and am feeling grand today. They're tired but there's little to no stiffness. Not sure who it was that posted the link but I've been using this - http://www.bodytrainer.tv/en/strength/stretching/index.html

Got to the gym a littler later than normal, about 7:30 and the place was dead. 3 people in total - me included.

Good session today. Felt good. Little groggy going in but got that out of the way quick enough.

Tricep rope pulldown: 10x10 (unsure on weight but same pin as before)
    Incline hammer curls 9x10 @20kg - failed the last set on the last rep, so annoying but it just wasn't budging. 1x9 @20kg to finish

Bent over lat raise: 3x10 @10kg
    Seated lat raise: 3x10 @10kg (tried to be ambitious here and move up but struggled and only got out 7 reps)

Had a little bit of gas left in the tank so went out with

Lying cable pull ins: 3x10 @3rd pin down. 3x10 @4th pin down.
    OHP: 3x10 empty bar (20kg) - Just to be honest with myself here, the last maybe 4 reps on this turned into a push press :o

Not much of note today. Had an OK session. Not great but not bad.

Flat semi-supinated BP: 5x10 @25kg, 1x7 @25kg, 1x7 @25kg, 1x7 @25kg (failed 3 in a row so dropped weight). 2x10 @20kg. Will probably make the next workout all at 20kg till I'm confident I can do 10x10 @25.
    Chin-Ups: 2x10 @BW. I've always sucked at these and that was all I could manage
    Lat pulldown: 8x10 @42kg

For my secondary piece I've upped the reps to between 15-20 instead of just doing 10.

Incline flyes: 1x20 @15kg, 1x20 @15kg, 1x16 @15kg
    Dumbbell rows: 3x18 @35kg

And again had a little left, not much but something, in the tank and finished with

Pec flyes:: 3x20 @21kg
    *Lying cable pull ins: 3x15 @3rd weight down.

*I'm going to try and incorporate this into the end of each workout.

Me and the missus are looking at getting into some exercise thing together so last night we dropped by one of the extremely few crossfit places on the island to check it out (only 2 to my knowledge).

Tomorrow is supposed to be leg day but I'm going to skip the morning gym and head to crossfit after work and check it out.

Will post results/thoughts afterwards.

The missus wasn't feeling great last night so wanted to give Crossfit a miss which means it was leg day at the gym. Started off with some stretching and empty bar movement.

High back squats: 10x10 @50kg. I focused really hard on making sure each on was deep but trying not to hit it too low so that I would pop out of it.
    Lying leg curls: 5x10 @20kg. Failed the 6th set for some reason. Not sure what happened but it just wasn't going. 1x7 @20kg. Took my 90 seconds rest and finished out the rest 4x10 @20kg

Lying low cable pull ins: 3x20 @third pin down. Enjoying the higher reps in this. Certainly feeling it a lot more.
    Calf raises: 3x15 @106kg

Can't wait for my day off tomorrow. My rest days seem to be so short and the next workout is always there.

Someone forewarned me about how this might take it's toll on me. Oh how I should have listened :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Someone forewarned me about how this might take it's toll on me. Oh how I should have listened :pac:

Don't worry...you've only 10 weeks left.:D

Don't worry...you've only 10 weeks left.:D

:D

:(

Bit of a mish/mash session. Went to the gym late hoping to have the place to myself but it was jammers. They also kicked us out early. Only got about a 3rd of my workout done there.

Tricep pulldowns: 10x10
    Incline hammer curls: 5x10 @20kg - this is when I got kicked out.

Went home and did the following

EZ bar arm curls: 6x10 @21kg
    OHP: 3x10 @26kg
    Lat raises: 3x20 @empty bar

Update pic

IMG_20131009_082705_zpsa1faf97b.jpg

IMG_20131110_184508_zps7f90c7fb.jpg

Not sure there's a huge difference but I certainly feel better. 10 weeks to go :)

• Advertisement

So so session this morning. Nothing really of note.

Decline semi-supinated BP: 2x10 @25kg - dropped weight here as they became available but in hindsight I probably should have stayed with what I had. Finished out 8x10 @20kg
    Chin Ups: 1x10
    Lat Pulldown: 1x10 @49kg, had poor form on this so dropped and finished 8x10 @42kg

Incline chest flyes: 1x15 @20kg, 1x11 @20kg, 1x8 @20kg
    Dumbbell Row: 3x15 @35kg
    Pec flyes: 3x20 @21kg
    Lying cable pull ins: 3x15 @3rd pin down

No workout this morning as I'm finally going to try out the Crossfit here. Looking forward to it :)

Crossfit last night went OK. The place is very small and there was a lot of new people there so the class was broken into 2 teams.

The place is in the middle of getting new equipment put in so there wasn't a whole lot to do on the night. Rings, pull up bars, squat racks and ropes are due in over the next few days so will definitely be back to tackle more.

It's run by a Norwegian girl and owned by a Norwegian guy Andreas Hurtig who moved back to Norway but will be here for a week on Sunday to do guest coaching so I'll get down to have a session with him.

As for the night.. it was torture. I'm terribly unfit. Never do any cardio at all, just move weights :)

Warm up with an 800m run.
    Whilst group 1 was doing floor work group 2 was outside running this gruelling hill. I was in group 1 and managed to get out the following in the time it took group 2 to come back from their run. It was ~4 minutes

5 Burpees
    10 push-ups
    15 sit-ups
    5 burpees
    10 push-ups
    15 sit ups
    5 burpees
    10 push ups
    11 sit ups

Group 2 came back so we switched with no break. Out, down the hill and back up. First one was OK. Then back in the room for the same punishment

5 burpees
    10 push ups
    15 sit ups
    5 burpees
    10 push ups
    8 sit ups

Switch again for another run of the hill and then back in for the last round of floor work.

5 burpees
    10 push ups
    15 sit ups
    4 burpees

I was as good as done by the time this finished but still had to do one last run of the hill.

It was good overall. Certainly liked the team aspect of it and working out in a small group. Everyone was motivating each other, it was nice. I've been going to the gym since about April now and it's always been on my own so this is a nice change. Definitely looking forward to getting in there on Saturday when hopefully all the equipment is installed and we can do some weights too.

Felt really solid going into the gym this morning. Bit groggy getting up in the morning but got my stuff together and had a protein shake - sorted the issue.

Have been avoiding dips as I've a shoulder injury from years ago skateboarding and it hurts when I put too much pressure on it. Thought I'd go back and try them again but my shoulder says no unfortunately.

Dips: BW 1x10
    Tricep pushdowns: 9x10
    Incline hammer curls: 10x10 @20kg. Every time with these I start off great thinking I'll bump it up but then finish pretty slow. Will stick with 20kg for now.

Bent over lat raises: 3x12 @10kg
    Upright seated lat raises: 3x12 @10kg - can probably bump this up.
    OHP: 5x10 @20kg (empty bar)
    Push press: 2x10 @25kg

My shoulders were absolutely knackered by the end of this. Haven't been this satisfied with my workouts in a long time.

20kg each hand on the hammer curls is quite massive compared to your other numbers. Hows your form on these?

20kg each hand on the hammer curls is quite massive compared to your other numbers. Hows your form on these?

Have you not seen the photo of me?? I'm only little... 10kg in each hand :o

Have you not seen the photo of me?? I'm only little... 10kg in each hand :o

You only count the one dumbbell not the sum of them, but the weight is irrelevant except on the achievement thread, its the contraction that matters. Amazed your keeping up this program. I am only 2 weeks back into GVT and already I am tired. GVT = monster gains all the same.

Here's all the weights I'm doing

Semi supinated grip decline BP: 12.5kg per hand
    Incline flyes: 10kg per hand
    DB rows: 17.5kg per hand
    Squats: 50kg
    Lying leg curls: 20kg
    Calf raises: Either 106kg or 115kg
    Hammer curls: 10kg per hand
    Bent over lat raises: 5kg per hand
    Seated lat raises: Either 7.5kg or 5kg per hand.
    OHP: Either 20kg or 25kg

You only count the one dumbbell not the sum of them, but the weight is irrelevant except on the achievement thread, its the contraction that matters. Amazed your keeping up this program. I am only 2 weeks back into GVT and already I am tired. GVT = monster gains all the same.

Thanks for this! I wasn't aware. I'll start to log them as weight per DB from now on. Appreciate it. I'm looking forward to the second cycle. Not getting bored of this one just yet but do want something a little different.

Come back to me in another few weeks. January 30th seems ages away.

• Advertisement

Looking at your photos you defo have more chest, more obliques and more ab definition.

Advertisement