Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

The winning of the game may come down to how much influence Pa O’Callaghan will have on the game. A player that has greatly benefited from the strength and conditioning work this current cork minor team have been doing since U15 he comes across more as a senior player and will properly start on the cork senior team next year. There could be rustiness since the layoff from the Clare game but win or lose there are some excellent hurlers in this crop that will star for Waterford over the next 10 years. Hope it goes well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

doz wrote: »
    There is no doubt in most people's minds that there are definitely at least 5-6 of these lads who have the potential to make the step up. I won't go through names as I don't believe it's right to be hyping lads at that age or indeed not mentioning others who may well make it but I would be very excited about the future potential of some of these lads. What I particularly like is that we have some good old fashioned physical players among this group, something badly lacking in the senior squad. I can only hope that we work them through the systems correctly rather than just firing them onto the senior panel straight from minor and get the very best out of them.
    You know that wont happen though, i'd love to see them stay on the u21 team for a few years but as soon as aussie gleeson and stephen bennett are finished minor they'l be thrown straight onto the senior panel, it's good that there's a few lads who are minor again next year from this team so they'l have another year through the system. I can count 8 or 9 lads who I believe have the potential to make the senior panel after seeing them in club games, harty cup or on county duty this year and last.
    Reminds me of the 09 minor team, 10 players from that team are currently on the senior panel, which is a fantastic return

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Barron and nagle out. Nagle with concussion seemingly after Offaly game. Paudie Mahony and Richie foley in. Expect a big win Saturday. No excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

glick6 wrote: »
    Barron and nagle out. Nagle with concussion seemingly after Offaly game. Paudie Mahony and Richie foley in. Expect a big win Saturday. No excuses.

Wonder will Paudie Prendergast move to wing back and Richie Foley into midfield. Hopefully Nagle is alright as he really had a stormer on Saturday.

No surprise with Mahony in for Barron. Barron struggled the last day and Mahony played very well when he came on.

Would be nice to put down a marker. Not really something we've done too much over the years - put up big scores. Hopefully we can on Saturday.

shud have brian o halloran, shane walsh and jamie nagle back for the 3rd round qualifier, any idea when that would be on?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    shud have brian o halloran, shane walsh and jamie nagle back for the 3rd round qualifier, any idea when that would be on?

Paidi P to wing back with Richie midfield yea. Paidi Mahoney centre forward. Jake in the corner. Seamus named at full with Maurice back on the wing.

Two weeks Saturday I think.

You will be lucky to see brian o Halloran play again this year unfortunately if what I hear is correct. Shane Walsh and nagle, yes they'll be back.

Looked back on the cork Clare game this evening. Corks man marking job on tony Kelly was very good. He was never involved. I can't understand why management left him so loose In our game. Really should have left brick loose and had someone do a shadow job on him. Hindsight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hullo from mexico, wedding was great and honeymoon going great too. Delighted we got through against Offaly.

So now it's Westmeath on Sat, has PTH2009 been on to predict our demise in that one yet?

KevIRL wrote: »
    Hullo from mexico, wedding was great and honeymoon going great too. Delighted we got through against Offaly.

So now it's Westmeath on Sat, has PTH2009 been on to predict our demise in that one yet?

Nah hopefully he'll be along soon because we might end up jinxed otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,884 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

KevIRL wrote: »

Westmeath put up a score of 4-12 against Galway last year but lost by 5-19 and Wexford put up a score of 3-22-2-9 against them and this year they scored 2-13 agaisnt Antrim . There a team that can score goals and will be a tough challenge. It would be a massive set back for Waterford to lose to Westmeath but if we cant beat a division 2 team than we dont derserve to be in the competition.

Fermanagh can also help Waterfords cause on Saturday. If Westmeath beat them in the football than the Westmeath supporters will be on a high and will stick around to support the Hurlers.

Would love to head up but going to daytripper at least i get to hear it on the radio. Getting a bit nervos about the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone heard any rumours from KK about a death of a person related to a KK legend? Was briefly mentioned on their thread but didn't go into details and this was the reason why they were poor against Dublin.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Westmeath put up a score of 4-12 against Galway last year but lost by 5-19 and Wexford put up a score of 3-22-2-9 against them and this year they scored 2-13 agaisnt Antrim . There a team that can score goals and will be a tough challenge. It would be a massive set back for Waterford to lose to Westmeath but if we cant beat a division 2 team than we dont derserve to be in the competition.

Fermanagh can also help Waterfords cause on Saturday. If Westmeath beat them in the football than the Westmeath supporters will be on a high and will stick around to support the Hurlers.

Would love to head up but going to daytripper at least i get to hear it on the radio. Getting a bit nervos about the match
    what the f*** are you nervous about?

Paidi P to wing back with Richie midfield yea. Paidi Mahoney centre forward. Jake in the corner. Seamus named at full with Maurice back on the wing.

Two weeks Saturday I think.

You will be lucky to see brian o Halloran play again this year unfortunately if what I hear is correct. Shane Walsh and nagle, yes they'll be back.
    really? I heard it's a few weeks and will be ready for the 3rd qual. Poor fella has no luck at county level at all if it's another few months out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Teebor15

STIG83 wrote: »
    Anyone heard any rumours from KK about a death of a person related to a KK legend? Was briefly mentioned on their thread but didn't go into details and this was the reason why they were poor against Dublin.

Yes I heard the same tragic news. Not sure what kind of bearing it would have on Dublin game. Could affect the teams performance in either a negative or positive way ie..they could go out and put in a brilliant performance dedicated to their former colleague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Looking forward to the Minor game tonight, as always it is impossible to call a minor game and regardless of the result there is certainly alot of talent there and it is a positive season already with the performances by some of the lads, even taking into account the loss against Tipp. What we are hoping for tonight is a good performance, hopefully setphen bennett has a few weeks training under his belt after his injury and approaching top form.
    As I said a win would be great but the fact that we are now producing competitive minor teams on a consistent basis is the real postive from the last few years and lets hope that continues.
    A win tonight and this panel will eb hurling together well into the summer. heres hoping anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Deise_2012 wrote: »

2 weeks after but lets just concentrate on Saturday night. Westmeath deserve to be respected they have come on a lot have been very competitive at minor and u21 in Leinster over the past few years, and ran Galway close last year put 4-12 on them.
    We didnt lose to Offaly because we were switched on and need to be the same against Westmeath. Trust me this will be their All Ireland final and would love nothing more that to give a county like us a real fright in their own backyard. They are hoping we are going to go up there expecting a stroll in the park and I hope the players and management are a lot more clue in than some ofthe people on here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Its true. Died on Friday or Saturday and buried yesterday as far as I know.

(Sister to a player that hold's All-Ireland medals from the last few years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I think it is funny that PTH2009 gets a hard time on this cos of their views.
    For someone to write off Waterford every time they play, From what I see this person still goes to nearly every game to support Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

For someone to write off Waterford every time they play, From what I see this person still goes to nearly every game to support Waterford.

Maybe he, like myself, spent his formative years going to matches in the 80's seeing us get some awful hammerings, I think I am hard wired to be negative before every game as well, even against westmeath!
    that empty sickening feeling leaving those games as a kid, often in tears... espeically when I have over 50 first cousins from Cork... the pain the pain of it all (I am also hard wired to hate cork)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The posts are clearly designed to get a reaction. Don't be surprised that they get a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Looked back on the cork Clare game this evening. Corks man marking job on tony Kelly was very good. He was never involved. I can't understand why management left him so loose In our game. Really should have left brick loose and had someone do a shadow job on him. Hindsight!

While I think Brian Murphy on Tony Kelly was an excellent matchup and neutralized him completely, there was a fair bit of luck in Cork's tactical approach too.

I don't think it's possible to legislate for talented Senior hurlers like the Clare full forward line being so poor when bearing down on goal. The 3 guilt edge chances and the chance when Conor McGrath fluffed the pick up would partially have been caused by less protection for the full back line. When Clare didn't take those chances, they were always going to struggle because the wind was so strong that creating point scoring oppotunities was immensely difficult second half, whereas Cork had the players to hit them over from anywhere.

Kelly got 4 points against Waterford, not match winning on it's own. Clare didn't actually create much in the line of goal chances, their first goal was just a bad mistake and the second was a product of the constant supply of ball from the half back line in the second half telling. Our problem that day was not winning ball in our own half forward line first and foremost, and not being clinical when we had chances. If we had let Clare create those goal chances that Cork did more than likely it would have been an awful hammering from a long way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Was anyone who was at the game in Tullamore last Saturday surprised when Jamie Barron was taken off in the first half? At the time I thought that if anyone should have been taken off, it should have been Brian O’Sullivan who, to my memory, hadn’t played the ball once up to that point. By contrast, Barron was much more involved in the game. He was fouled for a free that Maurice converted and he also set Maurice up for this first point from play. He also had a shot at goal which went wide.

Just before he was taken off, Barron had an attempted pass intercepted which led to an Offaly score. If this was the reason he was taken off then half the Waterford team could have had a similar fate on the night. As it happened, Brian O’Sullivan had a very good game afterwards while Pauric Mahony played well when he came on, so the substitution did work in that sense. However, I still cannot see the logic involved in the move.

On the Cork/Clare game, I was thinking myself that if Waterford were playing Clare again they should use Brick as a sweeper in front of the full back line and detail someone else to mark Tony Kelly. Kelly’s (and Colm Galvin’s) strong running from deep can open up defences and create goal chances.

Conor McGrath has recently returned from injury and clearly is not right yet. He hardly hit a ball against Waterford (apart from his fortuitous goal) and you could see the lack of sharpness in his game against Cork.

I thought Cork targetted Clare’s short passing game last Sunday. They anticipated where the passes were likely to go and intercepted them on numerous occasions. Several of their second half points came from these interceptions.

I also thought that Clare looked a bit nervous at times, and you would wonder if they go out on the field with Davy’s roaring ringing in their ears. They were very flat for much of the game against Waterford and only seemed to get some self-belief when they got those lucky goals and the handy frees from James McGrath. Waterford should have had them buried at that stage. If they had got one or two of the goal chances they missed against Cork there might have been a different result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Was anyone who was at the game in Tullamore last Saturday surprised when Jamie Barron was taken off in the first half? At the time I thought that if anyone should have been taken off, it should have been Brian O’Sullivan who, to my memory, hadn’t played the ball once up to that point. By contrast, Barron was much more involved in the game. He was fouled for a free that Maurice converted and he also set Maurice up for this first point from play. He also had a shot at goal which went wide.

Just before he was taken off, Barron had an attempted pass intercepted which led to an Offaly score. If this was the reason he was taken off then half the Waterford team could have had a similar fate on the night. As it happened, Brian O’Sullivan had a very good game afterwards while Pauric Mahony played well when he came on, so the substitution did work in that sense. However, I still cannot see the logic involved in the move.

Nah I dont hink it was that big a decision really. For me hes a bit lightweight and raw at this level yet, as it turned out Brian O'Sullivan had a fine game so it was the right call. He mightened be a bad option to spring off the bench with 10/15 mins to go hes a bit of a livewire. But Paudie Mahony should be good enough to be start anyway but they just cant seem to find his best position in the forwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,884 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

any word on Shane Walsh. could he feature as a sub on saturday ?? Surley Tony Browne will get a run out too. Was he at the Offaly game didnt see him warm up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

PTH2009 wrote: »
    any word on Shane Walsh. could he feature as a sub on saturday ?? Surley Tony Browne will get a run out too. Was he at the Offaly game didnt see him warm up

Browne had a fractured rib from a club game, but is back for this weekend.

• Advertisement

I'd personally give the management team the benefit of the doubt and say that they thought the combination of Mahony and O'Sullivan was going to be better than that of Mahony and Barron. While Barron wasn't terrible, he had been on the ball a bit but not done too much. O'Sullivan wasn't really in the game but it was due to the nature of ball being played into that area, which was rectified by bringing Mahony on. Right decision, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

I said to the fella beside me it should have been O'Sullivan that went off! Thankfully Brian made me eat my words. You can call it luck by the management team or you could say it was good management knowing that Mahonys understanding having played with O'Sullivan for years and the intelligent ball he gave to him was why O'Sullivan improved

Browne had a fractured rib from a club game, but is back for this weekend.

Brown was there togged out. Warmed up. Bruised ribs maybe. Hardly fractured.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

is the minor match live on WLR ??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Hslaw wrote: »
    is the minor match live on WLR ??

Im only assuming its not.. Anyone know of any Cork radio stations that could have it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deise_girl wrote: »
    Im only assuming its not.. Anyone know of any Cork radio stations that could have it?

https://twitter.com/C103Cork If you can get this crowd it might work, dunno can you get it online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

awful start for the minors, conceded a goal in the 1st minute. hopefully they get the next score and can settle themselves

did we get a goal that was disallowed

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

1-2 to 0-1

Cork 1-5
    Waterford 0-1
    15 Mins gone

they would want to be waking up a bit

1-5 to 0-1. come on ta f**k lads