Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UTV Ireland Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

hi5 wrote: »
    'Ulster Television Ireland' odd name:confused:

It's UTV Ireland..the ulster part was dropped in the early 90s.

Pat is sorely missed off our tv screens. (joke).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Pat is sorely missed off our tv screens. (joke).

A joke for you perhaps. He will get a good audience. UTV Ireland signing him up is a very clever move on their part and will be a big blow to Vincent Brown especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I think I read Graham Norton is moving to UTV Ireland...is this true?
    Surely he wouldn't leave his BBC show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

sebcity wrote: »

Yes. The Graham Norton show is moving to Utv Ireland - from TV3.

http://www.u.tv/Entertainment/Corks-Graham-Norton-on-new-UTV-channel/5558d67b-348b-4de7-91e5-cd25caa4a11f

sebcity wrote: »
    Surely he wouldn't leave his BBC show.

His show comes under the ITV Studios umbrella and has done for some time so it will move to UTV Ireland but continue to stay on BBC One

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

TV3 are in serious trouble. It's impossible to spin this. They have tried and will continue trying but they are going to be destroyed by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Pat Kenny + Graham Norton + Emmerdale/Coronation Street = Bullet in the head for TV3, I dont think they'll even be able to afford to pay the monkeys who stitch together the Youtube clips and press play on That 70s Show repeats after this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• The Graham Norton Show - Graham Norton presents a show with the best guests, the best comedy and the best fun.
    • Vera - International award winning actress Brenda Blethyn reprises her leading role as the brilliantly perceptive D.C.I. Vera Stanhope for a new series of the popular crime drama.
    • Mr Selfridge - Based upon the life of flamboyant American entrepreneur Harry Gordon Selfridge, who founded the world-renowned store on London’s Oxford Street in 1909, Mr Selfridge tells the story of 'Mile a Minute Harry', a man with a mission to make shopping as thrilling as sex.
    • And & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway - The only show on TV that says "Don't just watch the ads - win them!" explodes on to our screens with a host of huge scale stunts, hilarious sketches and appearances from some of the biggest global stars.
    • I’m a Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here! - Leaving their loved ones and luxuries far behind, a group of celebrity faces will spend up to three weeks taking on the terrors of the Australian jungle, plus a whole load of brand new nasty surprises dreamt up especially for them.
    • Surprise Surprise - Presented by Holly Willoughby, Surprise Surprise will be giving well deserving members of the public the biggest surprise of their lives.
    • The Jonathan Ross Show - Employing his infectious wit and sense of fun, Jonathan chats to celebrity guests and asks the questions to which everyone wants to know the answers.
    • Coronation Street - Coronation Street is the story of the everyday lives of ordinary folk living in a northern town called Weatherfield. The show’s unique blend of heart-warming comedy and powerful drama always remaining at the forefront of its programming since 1960.
    • Emmerdale - Emmerdale is the small village with big drama. Set against the stunningly beautiful backdrop of the Yorkshire Dales Emmerdale has been successfully running for 41 years.
    • Jeremy Kyle - More drama, more family feuds, more confrontations and those all-important DNA tests and lie detector results on The Jeremy Kyle Show.
    • Lorraine - Lorraine Kelly presents a topical mix of entertainment, discussion and showbiz glamour as well as the latest fashion, food and celebrity gossip.
    • This Morning - Celebrity guests, entertainment, advice, competitions and features....and much more on this award winning magazine show.
    • Loose Women - Join the Loose Women panel for daily chat, gossip and celebrity interviews.
    • The Chase – quiz show presented by Bradley Walsh.
    • Prime Suspect – The tense, uncompromising drama starring the Oscar-winning actress Helen Mirren and from the distinguished dramatist and novelist Lynda La Plante, has been critically acclaimed on both sides of the Atlantic and has won a total of 14 international awards including BAFTAs for 'Drama Serial' and 'TV Actress'.
    • Cracker - Set in Manchester, Cracker is a British crime drama series centred on a criminal psychologist Dr Edward "Fitz" Fitzgerald, played by Robbie Coltrane.
    • Midsomer Murders - Inspector Barnaby investigates murder mysteries in Middle England.
    • Foyle’s War - Writer Anthony Horowitz blends real-life war stories with tales of treachery and suspense in this crime drama series.
    • Undeniable - Two-part thriller about a woman who believes she recognises her mother's killer 23 years after the murder took place, though her family and the police have their doubts.
    • Love Your Garden - Alan Titchmarsh travels around the country seeking out some of the loveliest domestic gardens.
    • The Cube - Contestants battle to win a top prize of £250,000. Presented by Philip Scholfield.

The Cube, The chase, Ant and Decs etc all being stripped aswell and so will all the Dancing With/Britains Got Talent/American Idol/X-Factor and everything else they've been shamelessly mirroring from UTV for years now. What will TV3 do? They have no money, are we just going to see repeats of Uploaded and Expose in those prime time slots? They have been completely eviscerated here...

Any word on when its going to start broadcasting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

If they don't get Champions League in the next auction it's lights out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

John McCann, a spokesman for the new channel on The Last Word at the moment sounds like someone just told him an hour ago that its launching in January.

He hasn't been able to give any definitive replys to any of Matt Cooper's questions.

And Matt is asking him very easy questions in fairness. Just trying to get some basic backround on the station's plans.

It sounds more like UTV as it is at the moment. (IE rubbish). Doub't I'll be tuning in too often.

Thargor wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    The Cube, The chase, Ant and Decs etc all being stripped aswell and so will all the Dancing With/Britains Got Talent/American Idol/X-Factor and everything else they've been shamelessly mirroring from UTV for years now. What will TV3 do? They have no money, are we just going to see repeats of Uploaded and Expose in those prime time slots? They have been completely eviscerated here...

Any word on when its going to start broadcasting?

January 1st 2015 is launch day. TV3 will continue to show BGT and X Factor and other non ITV Studios programming such as Downton Abbey.

Oh really? That will be weird, We'll have 3 tv channels in a row all showing the same programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's a British tv channel with a token 1 and half hour Irish news content per weekday.

I find that insulting tbh. I would not like to see TV3 put out of business by this because at least they do make an effort with Irish programming even if not top quality.

With this proposed station I think it will damage Irish broadcasting and home produced production. With TV3 squeezed out RTE won't need to lift a finger because I can guarantee the home produced programming on UTV Ireland will be very minimal and non existent most days apart from the token news.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It'll be nice to see Pat back on the box. He is a Heavyweight addition to the new station's lineup.

I wonder how he will fit in the TV work with his Newstalk gig?

It's a British tv channel with a token 1 and half hour Irish news content per weekday.

I find that insulting tbh. I would not like to see TV3 put out of business by this because at least they do make an effort with Irish programming even if not top quality.

With this proposed station I think it will damage Irish broadcasting and home produced production. With TV3 squeezed out RTE won't need to lift a finger because I can guarantee the home produced programming on UTV Ireland will be very minimal and non existent most days apart from the token news.

I can see the hour long news programme at ten being reduced or moved to a later time within a short period too. The sheer amount of ITV programming on UTV Ireland is really staggering and disappointing. They are even going to show Loose Women which is a surprise.

TV3 may revert to the way it was in it's early years with American shows and films shown almost nightly. They could get Hollyoaks, try to poach Home And Away etc. They still have some options, but this is a massive blow to TV3.

I can see 3e getting the chop with any programming there going to TV3.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I can see 3e getting the chop with any programming there going to TV3.

I think I heard somewhere, I could be wrong, that 3e is actually profitable.It buys fairly dated and niche programmes for a cheap price and shows them over and over again and they make a bit of money from that. Added to that, they have virtually no original programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

could tv3 make an offer for premiership highlights as no irish station currently have the rights

• Advertisement

could tv3 make an offer for premiership highlights as no irish station currently have the rights

Setanta have those rights, Premier League Central every Saturday and Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Kirby wrote: »
    TV3 are in serious trouble. It's impossible to spin this. They have tried and will continue trying but they are going to be destroyed by this.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Pat Kenny + Graham Norton + Emmerdale/Coronation Street = Bullet in the head for TV3, I dont think they'll even be able to afford to pay the monkeys who stitch together the Youtube clips and press play on That 70s Show repeats after this...
    TV3 may revert to the way it was in it's early years with American shows and films shown almost nightly. They could get Hollyoaks, try to poach Home And Away etc. They still have some options, but this is a massive blow to TV3.

There's nothing to say that they can't do yet another deal with Telemedia InteracTV... :o:D:D;);)

I think I heard somewhere, I could be wrong, that 3e is actually profitable.It buys fairly dated and niche programmes for a cheap price and shows them over and over again and they make a bit of money from that. Added to that, they have virtually no original programming.

And there's probably a decent audience for the Babestation girls at 2am, too. :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Same model as E4. Cheap ad space and cheap shows on almost constant repeat. It fills a specific gap in the market for people who just want to leave the TV on in the background during the day or who only want to sit down for 20 minutes while they have a cuppa and a sandwich, without getting "committed" into watching a specific programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I see that UTV have dusted off the utv.ie address for their new channel's site.

http://www.utv.ie/

People may or may not know that in the early 2000s, they had to use both utv.co.uk and utv.ie as addresses for their main site, so as to placate both the unionists and the nationalists.

Then Tuvalu released its .tv top-level domain worldwide, enabling UTV to register almost certainly the shortest address possible. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Odd how The Graham Norton Show, a BBC production, will be shown on UTV.

So not only can (some) of the nation pick up UTV from overspill from the North, along with TV3 broadcasting 99% of ITVs output and 3e acting as an alternative to ITV2, we will get another channel dedicated to ITV's dire output!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think you may be surprised at what Pat Kenny will doing in his time in UTV Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/its-back-to-the-future-for-pat-as-new-show-to-rival-tubridys-late-late-30521314.html

A new show to rival RT and possibly BOC is a big story to even consider in the Irish Entertainment world again.

Kenny's series, which has yet to be named, will air in early 2015 and will see the broadcaster interviewing a range of personalities from both the political and entertainment worlds. "This will not be a hard news and current affairs show," UTV Ireland's Head of Channel Mary Curtis told the Irish Independent. -

That's like buying Luis Suarez and putting him in goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Dman001 wrote: »
    Odd how The Graham Norton Show, a BBC production, will be shown on UTV.

ITV bought Graham Norton's production company a few years ago, so it's produced by ITV for the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

What's the point?
    It's just going to be a rehash of everything we have already. I genuinely just don't get it.

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »
    What's the point?
    It's just going to be a rehash of everything we have already. I genuinely just don't get it.

I agree, I expected a lot more original programming. Apart from the news programmes, this is essentially UTV, what many of us already have.

You would have to wonder about their long term commitment to news and current affairs or whether these news programmes are merely publicity stunts and after a while, the programmes will be curtailed, resources reduced etc - repeating what TV3 did.

Up til the arrival of TV3, UTV was the second most popular station in Ireland. That audience then moved to TV3 and it looks like they will now move to UTV Ireland to watch Corrie, Emmerdale etc.

Advertisement