Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UTV Ireland Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

TV3 must be startled at this news. They might now have to come up with some original, home-grown programming.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Two things are going to happen. We will lose TV3/3e on all platforms and also we will lose UTV NI on UPC.
    A lot less free soccer on UPC.

Champions League will be shown on RTE and UTV. We'll still have access to UTV on UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

I think TV3 must have voiced to ITV that they wouldn't be renewing the contract for Emmerdale and Corrie, triggering this UTV announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think TV3 must have voiced to ITV that they wouldn't be renewing the contract for Emmerdale and Corrie, triggering this UTV announcement.

Unlikely. UTV announced they were launching the channel and TV3 said they were dropping the soaps anyway to save face. Guarantee you, Emmerdale and Corrie will air on TV3 right up until the day UTV Ireland launches. UTV might even give it to them cheaper temporarily as they won't want to risk losing viewers by having it off the air for any period of time.

TV3 are up sh*t creek with all the shows they'll lose. They need to get on damage control. Get the rights back for some big US shows that they can put in to that tea-time slot when they need to. Alternatively they could go into a bidding war with RTÉ for Eastenders, which was on TV3 when it first started in '97, but then then TV3 aquired Emmerdale and Corrie from RTÉ and RTÉ got Eastenders instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What we can expect from tv3 after this is endless repeats of reality tv like what is on 3e at the moment.
    Might as well close down tv3 to be honest when they enter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 utvwhataboutye

I heard this news today, I graduate from a media/broadcast engineering degree in the summer in england so it's good for work prospects in the future, I had already assumed ireland was a dead end for media related jobs. (providing they will actually produce their own shows?)

though what's with it being called 'utv ireland'? Ulster TV Ireland? defeats the purpose if it is being transmitted to munster, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

TV3 are much too reliant on ITV output. With the launch of Saorview, they should have recognised that ITV entering the Irish market was a real possibility. Even if UTV had launched their channel on Sky alone, it'd be a significant hit for TV3. They should have eased out of programming the last two years, and focused on sourcing content from other international networks and producing homegrown content. The only upside they have now is that they've a year to try and do this.

I hate ITV's output so this news has no effect on me. 99% of their output is rubbish. The same for TV3. At the same time however, I'd hate to see an Irish company go under as a result of this so really hope TV3 can then things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

though what's with it being called 'utv ireland'? Ulster TV Ireland? defeats the purpose if it is being transmitted to munster, etc

BSKYB have no qualms about broadcasting here. It is just a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

bye bye tv3,terrible programs,repeated time after time after time,eg paddies down under,the best of ireland am,hundreds of repeats of traveller programs,how could tv 3 ever have been taken seriously with the amount of repeated junk we already seen on other channels not to mention the ad breaks which are 6 minutes long during coronation street.I certainly will not miss it,come on utv ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 utvwhataboutye

lertsnim wrote: »
    BSKYB have no qualms about broadcasting here. It is just a name.

i suppose, i wonder what's the chances of a soap opera starting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AZTEC818

I don't think it makes any difference.

Terrestrial TV has been fu%&ed for a long time now. Pay per view telly has seen to that.
    80% of the programming is crap.
    The vast majority of the films they show are old and of poor quality,
    and they seem to be repeated several times in a week or two around
    all the chanels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

TV3 must be startled at this news. They might now have to come up with some original, home-grown programming.

Startled. They are ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Tomorrow on TV3. Shows they will lose the rights to highlighted

You are what you eat(C4)
    TWVB repeat
    Ireland AM
    Jeremy Kyle (ITV)
    Midday
    News at 12:45
    The Chase (ITV)
    The Chase

Xpose
    Late lunch (yes another chat show)
    Emmerdale (ITV)
    Emmerdale

Judge Judy (CBS)
    Judge Judy
    TV3 News 5:30
    Xpose
    Come Dine With Me (Channel 4)
    Emmerdale (ITV)
    Coronation Street(ITV)
    Paul O'Grady (ITV)
    Coronation Street (ITV)

Big Fat Gypsy Weddings (C4)
    X-Factor USA (ITV America, Syco)
    Graham Norton (BBC)
    Waterloo Road (BBC)
    Jeremy Kyle (ITV)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Chris___ wrote: »
    Tomorrow on TV3. Shows they will lose the rights to highlighted

You are what you eat(C4)
    TWVB repeat
    Ireland AM
    Jeremy Kyle (ITV)
    Midday
    News at 12:45
    The Chase (ITV)
    The Chase

Xpose
    Late lunch (yes another chat show)
    Emmerdale (ITV)
    Emmerdale

Judge Judy (CBS)
    Judge Judy
    TV3 News 5:30
    Xpose
    Come Dine With Me (Channel 4)
    Emmerdale (ITV)
    Coronation Street(ITV)
    Paul O'Grady (ITV)
    Coronation Street (ITV)

Big Fat Gypsy Weddings (C4)
    X-Factor USA (ITV America, Syco)
    Graham Norton (BBC)
    Waterloo Road (BBC)
    Jeremy Kyle (ITV)

Man that going to be one sh1te TV station :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭iseegirls

ITV Studios produce Come Dine With Me, so that'll be another series gone.

https://www.itvstudios.com/studios/uk/programmes/come-dine-with-me--2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Even worse is the weekend schedule, especially Saturday:

Sat:
    6 The X Factor USA (ITV America)
    7 The Best Of Ireland AM (Repeats of bits that ppl have seen on TV3, 3e, online, 3player already)
    8.3 Champions League Magazine (Shown on RTE2 and Setanta Sports)
    9 How Clean Is Your House? (Repeat from Wednesday)
    9.3 You Are What You Eat? (THREE episodes, repeated about 3/4times already on the channel before)
    11 Coronation Street Omnibus (ITV)
    1.3 Paul O'Grady (ITV)

2 The X Factor (ITV)
    3 The Xtra Factor (ITV)

4 America's Got Talent (2nd time it's shown)
    6 The Chase (ITV)
    7 The Cube (ITV)
    8 The X Factor (ITV)
    10 The Xtra Factor (ITV)

11 The Graham Norton Show (Shown on 3e 2 hours earlier)
    12 The Entertainment Buzz (Shown on 3e a day earlier)
    12.3 FILM
    2.3 Waterloo Road (3rd time S4 has been shown on 3e and TV3 combined)
    3.3 The Jeremy Kyle Show (ITV)

That's 12 hours of ITV Shows in 1 day. Roll on 2015. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

This is what i heard about the X Factor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Man that going to be is one sh1te TV station :)

fyp

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I would imagine it would also have repercussions with European football rights, one of the very few things that TV3 have going for them.

Be great if they could show the Bundesliga Highlights programme they show now on ITV 4 on Monday nights.

Wonder will UTV Ireland programmes be recordable on the old Sky+

Wonder will UTV Ireland programmes be recordable on the old Sky+

I can't see why not, they'll have an EPG slot.

Karsini wrote: »
    I can't see why not, they'll have an EPG slot.

Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Be great if they could show the Bundesliga Highlights programme they show now on UTV 4 on Monday nights.

Not much point buying Irish rights to foreign football highlights (which never gets much of an audience) and is already available to most people in Ireland who want to see it (on ITV4).

Skid X wrote: »
    Not much point buying Irish rights to foreign football highlights (which never gets much of an audience) and is already available to most people in Ireland who want to see it (on ITV4).

I know be just handy if it was recordable,put it on at 2.30am just to fill time and so the likes of myself could record it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I would imagine it would also have repercussions with European football rights, one of the very few things that TV3 have going for them.

I'd heard Mark Lawrenson on TodayFM Sport on Sat saying that BT Sport have the rights to Champions Lge football, i cant remember which year, but he said it will affect ITV a lot, although i dont know if it'll affect TV3, but i did hear that UTV Ireland wont be showin sports as it wasnt cost effective for them, but still open for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

'Ulster Television Ireland' odd name:confused:

Advertisement