Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Football Penn St/UCF Game confirmed 2014 in Croker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I don't know for sure but I get the impression that this is been driven (on the Irish side anyway) by the GAA so it's always going to be on in Croke Park. It's not like some promoter who wants to put on the game on chose it over Landsdowne.

Greed is a powerful thing, you'd be surprised (I don't know either btw, just wouldn't be too sure the GAA have any involvement in what is essentially promoting other sports)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Bateman wrote: »
    Greed is a powerful thing, you'd be surprised (I don't know either btw, just wouldn't be too sure the GAA have any involvement in what is essentially promoting other sports)

But when you look at it they are promoting another sport that could fill up their own pockets. They fill out Croke park they make a ton of money from concessions to ticket sales. They also get a chance to promote their own sport to many Americans. I am sure the Euros are motivation enough to spear head this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I didn't mean the GAA are behind it because they want to make a few quid, my point was in relation to some saying they should play it at Landsdowne, which we all agree would be a more suitable venue. But as I think it is being driven by the GAA, there was never going to be a chance of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I didn't mean the GAA are behind it because they want to make a few quid, my point was in relation to some saying they should play it at Landsdowne, which we all agree would be a more suitable venue. But as I think it is being driven by the GAA, there was never going to be a chance of that.

Yeah I think if you were being logical, you'd put it in the Aviva, but this is often not the way these things happen, there are other interests involved.

My fear about it is the GAA saw the game in the Aviva last year, and without really understanding the circumstances that made it a success (iconic college football program with Irish link, the link to 'The Gathering' stuff, the fact that it was planned several years in advance so the US fans had a chance to save money & make travel plans), thought they'd get in on the act, and that they could get the same type of numbers for any college game.

I wonder how well it was thought out, because to me it's not making a lot of sense, but people will vote with their feet. If they get 50,000 people to attend, the event will be justified, I just have my doubts if they will get a crowd like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Got a pair of tickets for this today, €50 each for lower stand tickets near the centre-line isn't too shabby. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

SantryRed wrote: »
    Well when it's as much as a disaster attendance wise as it will be, there won't be more games coming back here.

This is incorrect anyway, since Notre Dame are coming back in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Really going to watch Penn. St closely this year to get up to scratch on their players. They have a potential star QB in their new recruit Christian Hackenberg. Not sure who else to be looking for, any suggestions?

This is incorrect anyway, since Notre Dame are coming back in 2017.

Is that confirmed anywhere? I know there's talk of them coming back as there is with Boston Colege and Alabama but is it set in stone that it'll be ND in 2017?

Is that confirmed anywhere? I know there's talk of them coming back as there is with Boston Colege and Alabama but is it set in stone that it'll be ND in 2017?

I got that information from a source within Notre Dame Ireland that is very reputable indeed. No official word yet I'd say, but the word was that their season opener would be here, in Croke Park if I recall correctly. Needless to say I'm just some dude on the internet so you can't really take it as gospel but don't be shocked if the announcement comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

padraig_f wrote: »
    Yeah I think if you were being logical, you'd put it in the Aviva, but this is often not the way these things happen, there are other interests involved.

My fear about it is the GAA saw the game in the Aviva last year, and without really understanding the circumstances that made it a success (iconic college football program with Irish link, the link to 'The Gathering' stuff, the fact that it was planned several years in advance so the US fans had a chance to save money & make travel plans), thought they'd get in on the act, and that they could get the same type of numbers for any college game.

I wonder how well it was thought out, because to me it's not making a lot of sense, but people will vote with their feet. If they get 50,000 people to attend, the event will be justified, I just have my doubts if they will get a crowd like that.

But the GAA already have experience in hosting both college and pro football, so there would already be knowledge and understanding within that organisation of what is involved in making it a success.

I think I will go to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Personally I think you might be giving the GAA a bit too much credit there in terms of their "understanding" of international/foreign games.

I am going to do a bit of digging and see if this has the GAA's hands all over it or someone else's.

Personally I think you might be giving the GAA a bit too much credit there in terms of their "understanding" of international/foreign games.

I am going to do a bit of digging and see if this has the GAA's hands all over it or someone else's.

Why would the GAA not have an understanding of how this stuff works? They have hosted more big American football games than anyone else in the country. By far.

The only thing the GAA will be doing in this is playing hosts and coming to agreement to let the NCAA and its members use its facilities at some sort of cost. I doubt the GAA are "Running" anything here other than facilitating the colleges in playing games. Probably an agreement in place to use their facilities over the next few years thus taking out any further stadium option by the NCAA in Ireland i.e Lansdowne road. Having said all of that of course the GAA have a clear understanding on how foreign sports work especially in Croke Park as they have allowed enough games be played in their stadiums and not just Croke Park.

They have hosted more big American football games than anyone else in the country. By far.

Apart from the first ND v Navy and the preseason game with the Bears about 20 years ago, have they hosted many more? Unless you're counting those high school games last year at Parnell and Navan. But they could hardly be considered 'big'.

There's been 3 NCAA div 1 games at Landsdowne/Aviva by comparison

Apart from the first ND v Navy and the preseason game with the Bears about 20 years ago, have they hosted many more? Unless you're counting those high school games last year at Parnell and Navan. But they could hardly be considered 'big'.

Point taken, but I still don't understand where the notion that the GAA wouldn't "understand" these games comes from, or what that would have to do with their ability to host one?

Why would the GAA not have an understanding of how this stuff works? They have hosted more big American football games than anyone else in the country. By far.

I'm a GAA fan, but I don't think they are very savvy at understanding marketing when it comes to their own games. There are a lot of examples of this which continue to go on. I'm sure they know logistically how to host an event, I'm not sure they have such a good understanding of market forces when it comes to international sport (actually as a fan, my impression is they have quite a poor understanding of this kind of stuff).
    TO. wrote: »
    The only thing the GAA will be doing in this is playing hosts and coming to agreement to let the NCAA and its members use its facilities at some sort of cost. I doubt the GAA are "Running" anything here other than facilitating the colleges in playing games. Probably an agreement in place to use their facilities over the next few years thus taking out any further stadium option by the NCAA in Ireland i.e Lansdowne road. Having said all of that of course the GAA have a clear understanding on how foreign sports work especially in Croke Park as they have allowed enough games be played in their stadiums and not just Croke Park.

Yeah, but they're hosting the event with expectation of making a profit, based on the numbers who turn up. They'll have had a decision-making process, based on expected numbers attending. The GAA probably have the biggest stake in the deal in how many people attend (I imagine the two teams are getting a relative flat fee), so it's ultimately their call in how successful the thing will be from a numbers point of view.

Yeah, and the last one was 1996, nearly 20 years ago. Sport, and how people consume it has changed hugely since then, much more choice, more live sport on TV, internet channels etc. Rugby was barely professional in 1996, they'll now be competing with Autumn internationals for peoples' money, as well as August being about the biggest month in the GAA season. We're also still in a global recession, which can have a significant effect on attendances. Just a huge number of variables have changed since then.

Also, why haven't they hosted a game since 1996? My guess is the game at the Aviva last year influenced their thinking, but I'm not sure they understood the factors that made that game a success.

I'm a GAA fan, but I don't think they are very savvy at understanding marketing when it comes to their own games. There are a lot of examples of this which continue to go on. I'm sure they know logistically how to host an event, I'm not sure they have such a good understanding of market forces when it comes to international sport (actually as a fan, my impression is they have quite a poor understanding of this kind of stuff).

Yeah, but they're hosting the event with expectation of making a profit, based on the numbers who turn up. They'll have had a decision-making process, based on expected numbers attending. The GAA probably have the biggest stake in the deal in how many people attend (I imagine the two teams are getting a relative flat fee), so it's ultimately their call in how successful the thing will be from a numbers point of view.

I'm not sure what you're basing any of that on. It seems highly unlikely to me that the GAA reached out to two college teams to get them to come over, took on the risk of loss themselves and the attendant duty to promote a game between two teams whose fanbases are utterly outside of the GAA's sphere of influence. Is there any basis for what you're saying?

As hosts, though, the GAA bring in the biggest numbers through their gates of any sporting organisation in the country, week in week out all summer long every single year. How they would suddenly forget how to do this just because the ball on the pitch is a different shape I don't know, so all of this stuff about understanding "foreign games" (I mean ffs!!) seems irrelevant to me.

It depends on what contract is in place. None of us know the details of it so who knows what the GAA set to make out of it.

If the GAA are the ones pulling the strings on this your scenario makes sense but there is still no clear indication that is the case. If it is not it could well be that the Home college take a portion of the gate receipts if not most of it and pay the GAA up front for the use of the stadium. The same way the IRFU and FAI used to do it. The GAA make on the concessions also.

As I said there is not details out there.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    It depends on what contract is in place. None of us know the details of it so who knows what the GAA set to make out of it.

If the GAA are the ones pulling the strings on this your scenario makes sense but there is still no clear indication that is the case. If it is not it could well be that the Home college take a portion of the gate receipts if not most of it and pay the GAA up front for the use of the stadium. The same way the IRFU and FAI used to do it. The GAA make on the concessions also.

As I said there is not details out there.

Exactly, we just don't know what the deal is right now, so anything we say is all speculation. On the one hand it doesn't seem likely that the home team would just accept a flat fee on a game that, on the website for the event (crokeparkclassic.ie) they expect to sell out. On the other hand, it's hard to see why the home team would have come to Ireland unless some of the risk was being shared with someone else. On the OTHER hand (I have three hands), if the GAA were taking the risk on board then it would have to have been mentioned at Congress, which I don't think it was, and there would have been UPROAR. No way the GAA rank and file would have accepted the possibility that much-needed funding might get diverted into making up for a potential loss-making venture to do with a sport the vast majority of GAA members don't care about.

Even the International Rules has to prove to be at least cost-neutral, or the GAA will pull the plug on it. It simply is not realistic that they would stampede into committing to a college football game without knowing anything about it, just because they saw it worked at the Aviva last year. Anyone who says otherwise is operating with, at worst, an agenda regarding the GAA, and at best some very outmoded assumptions about what kind of organisation it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Lena137

Does anyone have an idea when the lower Cusack Stand might go on sale or any other sections?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭event

is the whole stadium pretty much sold out already?

No, I don't know the details of the deal. My original point was the game didn't make a whole lot of sense to me as something that would have a broad appeal, and then you wonder how the decision might have come about. I'm only speculating on the decision-making process, you can't say for sure, but you can make some educated guesses (GAA haven't hosted a game for 17 years, but announce one a year after a successful one in the Aviva. Possibly they saw that one and misunderstood the success of it).

Even if the main idea came from the other side, I saw that this is the first time in Penn State's 125 year history they've played a game overseas, so you wonder how well placed they are to judge if it'll be a success or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Lena137

event wrote: »
    is the whole stadium pretty much sold out already?

No, only some tickets are on sale right now behind the end zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

It’s a bold move by the GAA, which is hoping to attract a crowd of 69,000 for the game. It is understood that the association had to pay the guts of €2 million to secure the match and needs a crowd of about 30,000 to break even.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/croke-park-s-game-changer-1.1467769

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

GoPSUJeff 5m
    Dave Joyner: #PennState will practice at The University of College Dublin prior to @CrokePkClassic

bobby wade wrote: »
    It’s a bold move by the GAA, which is hoping to attract a crowd of 69,000 for the game. It is understood that the association had to pay the guts of €2 million to secure the match and needs a crowd of about 30,000 to break even.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/croke-park-s-game-changer-1.1467769

That was my guess that they'd pay a flat fee and take on most of the risk getting the numbers (maybe there's bonus-type incentives on the other side, but paying €2m, they'll be taking on most of it). Whether the GAA makes a profit or not is a matter for them, but what makes it relevant to the discussion is, as the party with the biggest stake in the attendance, it was ultimately their judgment in how viable it was from a numbers point of view.

A goal of 30,000 people is modest enough from a financial point of view, but from a fan/event point of view, I think you want to get at least 50,000 to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭event

Lena137 wrote: »
    No, only some tickets are on sale right now behind the end zones.

how will we know when the other parts are on sale?

• Advertisement

That was my guess that they'd pay a flat fee and take on most of the risk getting the numbers (maybe there's bonus-type incentives on the other side, but paying €2m, they'll be taking on most of it). Whether the GAA makes a profit or not is a matter for them, but what makes it relevant to the discussion is, as the party with the biggest stake in the attendance, it was ultimately their judgment in how viable it was from a numbers point of view.

A goal of 30,000 people is modest enough from a financial point of view, but from a fan/event point of view, I think you want to get at least 50,000 to make it worthwhile.

Yeah, fair play, you called it correct and the burden of risk falls on the GAA. I think 30,000 will easily attend though. Would be surprised if they reached their upper target all the same.

Also I don't think this did come up at Congress which makes me think it was a Croke Park PLC decision. If they don't make their money back it will be a major blunder. As a GAA member I for one would be pissed off.

Advertisement