Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

telekon wrote: »
    Chris had to apologise for "slang" he used earlier in the programme when discussing the Sinn Fein wedding at Druid's Glen.

Now let me guess, Chris used the word "shinner"?

Sweet Jebus, Chris! :rolleyes: C'mon, youre not writing for the Phoenix, keep it some bit professional...

Can you imagine Cathal Mac Coille banging on about the "shinners"!! :eek:

No I can't - but the Newstalk guys bring that bit of extra passion to the thing...everyone calls them "The Shinners" probably some female producer "suggested" to him to apologise.

For "professional" substitute "bland",,,and i might agree.

Although I will say Mac Coille is a consumate presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Wow, blandest interview ever there between Chris and Breda McDonald from the Irish Country Women's Association about household chores. They can't exactly say today is a slow news day with all the Cowengate and FF stories......just weird.

Sample quote:
    Breda: too much sugar is bad for you in the tea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Wow, blandest interview ever there between Chris and Breda McDonald from the Irish Country Women's Association about household chores. They can't exactly say today is a slow news day with all the Cowengate and FF stories......just weird.

Sample quote:
    Breda: too much sugar is bad for you in the tea

I LOL'd heartily throughout that interview. It was hilarious. So wonderfully random and some great WTF moments...:D

I thought I was listening to a start-up local radio station for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Do you like sugar in your tea Breda...YES or NO?

I LOL'd heartily throughout that interview. It was hilarious. So wonderfully random and some great WTF moments...:D

I thought I was listening to a start-up local radio station for a second.

In fairness to Chris, he did try to get rid of her as soon as he realised the interview was going nowhere fast, but it was very funny at the time. You'd have to wonder though what kind of research/vetting was done in advance of allowing the lovely Breda on the airwaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

that was the most pointless interview ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin wrote: »

Marc Coleman........

As a new years resolution how about letting your panel air their own views without correcting them mid sentence with your own opinion everytime you disagree with something they say. Let the listeners make up their own mind.

Obviously not then. :(

If the last hour and 20 minutes are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Seems Fionn Davenport's Culture Shock show is to be lumbered with a "money doctor" type segment courtesy of Karl Dieter?

Very odd.

Had to bail on Newstalk Breakfast there. Colm Rapple is the guest plugging his new book on Family Finance. Unfortunately for Colm it takes him 15mins to say a single sentence as he tries to fit words in between all of his "um's" and "ah's" and his immediate repeating of what he just said. IT IS SO ANNOYING!!!!

A, a, a, a, a, person who's......a person who's paying am, um, ah.....tax......a person who's, am, paying....ah, um, ah, a person who's paying tax...ah, um, am, at the, ah, um, standard, ah, um, standard rate......

It doesn't sound like a stutter or that he's particularly nervous, but it would test the patience of a saint very tired person like myself.:)

• Advertisement

Brilliant Freudian slip there by Damian Kiberd..."no sign of Brian Coward, emm, Brian Cowen". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Hooky took the biscuit yesterday for his Thursday interview

The Newstalk presenter interviewed....Newstalk presenter Tom Dunne...about music and how he ended up in, you guessed it, Newstalk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

Is anyone else finding it hard to get over Chris' offenses against the letter T. Maybe I'm pedantic but someone should have a word, it's obviously so contorted that he is not speaking fluently or normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

giftgrub wrote: »
    Hooky took the biscuit yesterday for his Thursday interview

The Newstalk presenter interviewed....Newstalk presenter Tom Dunne...about music and how he ended up in, you guessed it, Newstalk!!

What you have described is half the guests on the Late Late on RTE every Friday night or the Saturday Night show.

+1

Well, both will be full of Fianna Fail for the next 7 weeks.......although Tubbers does his bit for FF as things stand.

+1

Well, both will be full of Fianna Fail for the next 7 weeks.......although Tubbers does his bit for FF as things stand.

And you can guarantee all will be candidates in marginal constituencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

have to give newstalk credit today.

they dumped the sport to cover the cowan resignation story till about 5pm.

sports presenter did alright with it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

I agree. Ger did a good job covering the politics today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Chris O'D versus Biffo at the news conference today.

Chris was there "Taoiseach, have you pulled a cynical stunt - yes or no?"

Biffo: "do you want an argument with me?"

The young pup then resumed his seat

Imhof Tank wrote: »

Chris was there "Taoiseach, have you pulled a cynical stunt - yes or no?"

Biffo: "do you want an argument with me?"

The young pup then resumed his seat

LOL. :D

Chris is becoming a parody of himself at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

Imhof Tank wrote: »

I saw that, Cowen really let him have it. "Run along now son, the adults are talking."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

He didn't learn his lesson though, a few hours later in the studio he was pissing off Brendan Smith trying again to ask the killer question. Not that there is anything wrong with upsetting Brendan Smith, but Chris has that effect on people because they just don't take him seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Koloman wrote: »
    I agree. Ger did a good job covering the politics today.

Yeah, I think Ger did very well today. Not many could switch from Sport to Politics unexpectedly like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

SkidMark wrote: »
    Yeah, I think Ger did very well today. Not many could switch from Sport to Politics unexpectedly like that.

I've been living abroad for the past few months. And I've come to appreciate what Newstalk does. Sure, it's not perfect, but it provides a viable alternative to Radio One for the most part - without the resources of a taxpayer funded news and current affairs department.

Yates is a clean winner going against John Murray and Ryan Tubridy in the 9am to 10am slot, even though I feel the inclusion of Rachael English has been a huge positive for Morning Ireland in the earlier part of the morning.

Hook can be a refreshing alternative to Matt Cooper at times, and wipes the floor with the dreadful Drivetime.

Moncrieff presents the most consistently entertaining and engaging show on Irish radio (in my opinion).

Dunphy, Off the Ball, Talking History are all good shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

You mention R English there and it got me thinking as to why NT didn't make a play for here. She was virtually on the shelf there for a couple of years at the weekend. I know she's not a star like a Dunphy brand but she would have brought a great deal of respectability with her. In fairness to NT, they give their young reporters and presenters a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Cole wrote: »
    I saw that, Cowen really let him have it. "Run along now son, the adults are talking."

Or that time when he asked Gerry Adams "are there any skeletons in your cupboard", it may have momentarily flitted across an t-Uachtarain Sinn Fein's mind to ask him back "would ye like to be one, wee lad"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

LOL. :D

Chris is becoming a parody of himself at this stage...

He is unfortunately. He should turn down the hyperbole a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

SkidMark wrote: »

I thought Gilroy played a stormer yesterday, make you wonder why NT dropped him from current affairs? Give him a Sat morning slot and do away with the repeats and fluffy nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Cole

I'm listening to The Wide Angle, with Karen Coleman at the moment. I generally just catch bits and pieces of this show, but it's very good.

I must try to tune in more often, it's repeated on Sunday evening at 22.00.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Newstalk did great yesterday when the greens pulled out.I was in the car and had it on,I think they went well over an hour without a brake.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Newstalk did great yesterday when the greens pulled out.I was in the car and had it on,I think they went well over an hour without a brake.

How did you stop the car without a brake?

• Advertisement

Poly wrote: »
    I thought Gilroy played a stormer yesterday, make you wonder why NT dropped him from current affairs? Give him a Sat morning slot and do away with the repeats and fluffy nonsense

They dropped him (unfairly in my view) because he and Claire Byrne weren't getting the figures for the breakfast show. Claire was untouchable after her high-profile move from TV3, but eventually they ran out of patience with her too (or vice versa) and she fled to RTE at the first opportunity.

It seems the Breakfast show has a new contributor: Margaret Ward.

She sounds strangely familiar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It seems the Breakfast show has a new contributor: Margaret Ward.

She sounds strangely familiar...

Thats Margaret E Ward

Thats Margaret E Ward

It seems the "E" is no more. Both Chris and Ivan referred to her as "Margaret Ward" this morning.

She picked Ivan up on it last week ("Don't forget the E, Ivan!") but it seems to have been dropped, at least for today.

I not sure about Ivan, but I noticed months ago that Chris never said the "E" bit. Just another case of Chris getting above himself. If she wants to be called Margaret E Ward, then call her Margaret E Ward - it is her name after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Rubik. wrote: »
    I not sure about Ivan, but I noticed months ago that Chris never said the "E" bit. Just another case of Chris getting above himself. If she wants to be called Margaret E Ward, then call her Margaret E Ward - it is her name after all.

I think it might be to distinguish her from the Margaret Ward that works for RTE?

Or Margaret Ward from the Dunsink Halting Site?

I think it might be to distinguish her from the Margaret Ward that works for RTE?

Possibly, or it could just be a family thing like Michael D Higgins, John A Murphy...etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wendy

well what do you reckon people

a provo protection racket??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Or Margaret Ward from the Dunsink Halting Site?

That reminds me of the joke about this bloke who pulled a nurse in Coppers one night.
    They were in the taxi on the way home together and it pulled up outside a Halting site, the chap was shocked and said to her "I thought you said you were a nurse" she replied "No, I told you I was a ward sister" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

fryup wrote: »
    Wendy

well what do you reckon people

a provo protection racket??

This is the Newstalk thread, not the Liveline one :D

Newstalk have done well at the weekend with the developments with FF and the Greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Probably. But it's not like RTE's MW is that famous.

McDave wrote: »
    Probably. But it's not like RTE's MW is that famous.

Perhaps, but MW from Dunsink is. :pac:

After the musical intros, the news, and the review of the day, the Coleman at Large programme usually kicks off around 10.15 with the panel discussion.

And true to form Marc Coleman was straight in there to interrupt his first guest (Sean Connick) before Connick could finish his opening sentence.

He then went on to ignore the rest of his response by asking another question before Connick was given the courtesy of answering the first one.

Question To Marc? Why not trust your listeners to draw their own conclusions from your guests comments, rather than imposing your own (statistic laden) opinions on everything they say?

Perhaps the title pf the programme should be changed to Coleman's Soapbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Lapin wrote: »
    He then went on to ignore the rest of his response by asking another question before Connick was given the courtesy of answering the first one.

I cannot listen to the show any more because of this. Pat Kenny does a thing where he demonstrates his enormous knowledge of everything in the world by including it in the question asked to the guest. But it pales in comparison to what Coleman does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Last night while watching the Vincent Browne show I was thinking he is never on Newstalk,they seem to have every 'media personality' on at some stage.Any reason why Browne is never on any of there shows..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Dub13 wrote: »
    Last night while watching the Vincent Browne show I was thinking he is never on Newstalk,they seem to have every 'media personality' on at some stage.Any reason why Browne is never on any of there shows..?

I think this is from 2009. Its sparks flying between Hook and Browne. Might explain a little about why he is so rarely on. It very entertaining though. Think part one is available too but cant find it at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Anyone hear Yates comment this morning regarding Keys/Gray saying something along the lines of 'they may be misogynist but sure what the hell'? Wtf?

Renn wrote: »
    Anyone hear Yates comment this morning regarding Keys/Gray saying something along the lines of 'they may be misogynist but sure what the hell'? Wtf?

Its just Yates winding up the wimmin again. He drives my missus mad with some of the stuff he says.

I personally find it funny: he's either still out of touch with the 21st century or the finest wind up merchant on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Well I rarely listen to it and when I do it's always in someone elses car. The guy comes across as a total sleazebag whenever I hear him. Pretty embarrassing stuff and the guy that was talking to him this morning probably felt a bit uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement