Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TO. wrote: »
    I think a Pats game this year is on the cards. Got a spare room and two comfy couches.
    I'm not too far away from you right now myself. Unfortunately I picked up a bug and have been laid low for a couple of days. I hope to be back over around Christmas and fully intend to catch a game, will pm you well in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Regular season 7th game @ Jets (8-8)
    A game that'll be remembered for it's final play controversy rather than anything in between. But we'll come to that at the end.
    This was a game of two halves for the Pats, the good and then the bad.

The Jets begun with an opening drive TD, thanks to some awful coverage by Arrington (no Talib on the day).
    Pats responded with a TD to tie it up at 7:7. That TD drive had a big 30yd play by Gronk. This was Gronks first game back, and he showed what we were missing, 8 catches for 114yds, and good blocking for Bolden's TD.

Logan Ryan then with an INT (really bad throw by Smith) for a 80yd return.

Hightower was a weak link in this game, repeatedly killed over the middle, always trailing his man.

Into the 2nd quarter and the Pats had a chance with the Jets on 3rd and 20. But Arrington with awful coverage gives up 21yds. Jets kick FG from that drive, 14:10

Pats ended the fist half well, with a drive resulting in a TD for Ridley. Pats ahead at HT 21:10, and getting the ball to start the 2nd half.

But our 3rd quarter play in all the games to date had been terrible.
    Week1 0pts
    Week2 0pts
    Week3 3pts
    Week4 3pts
    Week5 0pts
    Week6 3pts
    Week7 0pts and the Jets scored 17pts

The start of the 3rd quarter was the first time the Jets got to Tom (sacked 4 times in total), and forced a fumble (recovered by Tom). Next play and an INT resulted in a run in for a TD for the Jets, 21:17.

Next possession for the Pats resulted in 3 and out (only their second of the game).
    Next possession, Tom sacked, 3 and out.
    Jets drive for TD (good plays by Smith), 21:24.
    Next Pats possession, Tom sacked, 3 and out.
    Jets FG, 21:27.

In the 4th quarter we kicked two FG's (the second FG kicked with 16secs left) to take the game into overtime.

Pats got the ball first in OT, but only picked up a single 1st down before punting away. Jets end up trying a 56yd FG, but missed.
    Flag on the field.
    Chris Jones called for pushing into the secondary (first time called all season), 15yd penalty. Jets kick the 42yd FG for the win.

That penalty got a lot of coverage, but the Pats didn't perform in a lot of areas during the game. The second half was really bad.
    Pats were 1 for 12 on 3rd down for the day (Jets 11 of 21)
    Total yards 295 (Jets 383)
    1st downs 21 (Jets 27)
    Time of possession 23:40 (Jets 46:13, they had 52 running plays)
    Tom was 22 of 46 with an INT

Pats dropped to 5:2, up next a visit by Miami to Foxboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

BlW_lHjCAAEJeNY.jpg:large
    14 years ago today

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Was in Foxboro today, only passing through though:(, we were on our way to Worcester as we have pets moving over and had to get some paperwork.

On the plus side I'll be back over before the season ends and will be going to at least one game.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

TO. wrote: »
    I think a Pats game this year is on the cards. Got a spare room and two comfy couches.

Much appreciated, but I hope there's no time limit on that offer TO.? Cos this year has become a crapfest for me. Probably take a miracle for me to make a game this year.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Everybody showed up for voluntary workouts yesterday. Still a bit surreal seeing Revis in Pats gear.

8ldj8gd.jpg

Still a bit surreal seeing Revis in Pats gear.

On his pay scale I don't think we could afford it, but I'd love to see Revis end his career as a Patriot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Schedule is out

1922111_10152381731242372_4340223797718430597_n.jpg?oh=9932df965b6539d1ca0fe0281fb3ab61&oe=53DE37E1

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2014/04/23/new-england-patriots-schedule/7521859/
    Preseason schedule (All times p.m. ET; home games in caps)

Aug. 7-10 at Washington Redskins

Aug. 14-18 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Aug. 21-24 CAROLINA PANTHERS

Aug. 28 at New York Giants

Regular season schedule

Sept. 7 at Miami Dolphins, 1

Sept. 14 at Minnesota Vikings, 1

Sept. 21 Oakland Raiders, 1

Sept. 29 at Kansas City Chiefs (Mon), 8:30

Oct. 5 Cincinnati Bengals, 8:30*

Oct. 12 at Buffalo Bills, 1

Oct. 16 New York Jets (Thu), 8:25

Oct. 26 Chicago Bears, 1

Nov. 2 Denver Broncos, 4:25

Nov. 9 BYE

Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts, 8:30*

Nov. 23 Detroit Lions, 1

Nov. 30 at Green Bay Packers, 4:25

Dec. 7 at San Diego Chargers, 8:30*

Dec. 14 Miami Dolphins, 1

Dec. 21 at New York Jets, 1

Dec. 28 Buffalo Bills, 1

Relieved that the Broncos, Colts and Chargers games are later in the season. Means Browner will be back for all of them, and we could even PUP Gronk and have him back too. Disappointed the Chiefs game wasn't later too as I think it's the last game Browner will miss, but it could have been worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Excitement slowly rises...

Hopefully looking at making it stateside in either OCT or DEC, Jets or Dolphins realistically...

• Advertisement

I hope this is a good omen for the season. I won €20 euros from the brother for getting the Phins away as the opener. He went with the Chiefs and he was so confident, he wanted to put €50 on it. I'm now sorry I didn't take him up on that stake :(. Happy enough with the schedule but once again we start the season on the road. And it looks like the Packers game, is where we will lose Gronk to his now annual season ending injury.

Sensible to see that the Pats have used their 5th year option on Solder. In case anyone does not know, under the last collective bargaining agreement, teams can exercise an option to run a rookie contract into an extra fifth year on their 1st round draft picks. They can still sort out a longer term contract/extensions, but exercising the 5th year option gives them time and some breathing room.

@MikeReiss:
    2014-04-24 15:55:09 UTC
    RT @caplannfl Former #Rams and #Redskins LB Josh Hull agreed to a one-year deal with the #Patriots, source confirmed. Special teams ace.

Always nice to add depth and special teams talent in one guy.

He should cover us nicely after losing Flecther, still a bit short in the LB department though.

I see Brady has given his feedback on the 2014 schedule.......

8bXcJ9.jpg

5rQSBX.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Any predictions which way we'll go with the 1st round pick this year?
    I always find it hard to predict our picks, come the end of the round the majority of prospects I have a good awareness of are gone.

Looks to me like DL will be the most likely choice at this stage.
    I don't see there being any LB's, S's, OL or TE's available that late in the round with good value, and BB is all about value...
    There might be a decent WR pospect, but I think another rookie WR is the last thing we need right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we trade up.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Any predictions which way we'll go with the 1st round pick this year?
    I always find it hard to predict our picks, come the end of the round the majority of prospects I have a good awareness of are gone.

Past experience of getting my hopes up on a certain pick and then feeling pissed off when we miss out. Has taught me to just go with the flow at draft time. But these are the areas that I think they will target in the draft. They may only target some of them, but I think our picks will come from the following positions.

Wilfork and Kelly aren't spring chickens so I think we need to move for a DT.

Jones and Nink, played nearly every snap last season and signs were on them near the end of the season. They need help at DE.

The only guarantee Gronk can give us, is the likelihood of more injuries so we need a TE. We do have Mark Harrison on our WR depth chart at the moment. And at 6'3" and 235Lbs, it makes you wonder are they thinking about moving him to TE?

We still need a big tough SS since, since its been reported that Browner won't be moved there. I think they could move for a S. And dear god I hope they don't think that Chung will do.

Outside of Mayo, Hightower and Collins we're pretty short at LB, so I think we need to add at LB.

Mallett is in the final year of his rookie contract, he will cost us to sit around next season. So they might make a move at QB. No doubt he won't be on the board, but I would like to see us pick up AJ McCarron.

Vereen and Ridley enter their final contract year so they might move for a RB. Especially a RB that can catch passes out of the backfield. We really suffered when we lost Vereen for those few weeks last season, because none of the lads proved reliable enough as pass catchers.

It wouldn't surprise me if they bring in some competition for Wendell at C. If nothing else, but to bring back the player he was in 2012.

If a talented Dobson style WR is still on the board at the right place in the draft, they may go for it. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't draft a WR.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

iv been looking for fits if i was a betting man i would imagine pats go

1st rounder:d-line

2nd rounder:best available d-lineman,"tweener pass rusher",te(love troy niklas to learn off gronk)

3rd rounder:reciever if not taken in the last round there should be value here

4th round 1st pick: deanthony thomas if still there

and after that i best player available dont think you can really target a position hard that late in the draft

i know its vauge as hell particularly the 2nd rounder but i think thats a pretty ideal draft maby try to pick up a d-lineman or 2 later on as well

@MikeReiss:
    2014-05-05 18:29:47 UTC
    Filed to ESPN with @FieldYates: Patriots are signing veteran DE Will Smith, formerly of the Saints, per source.

• Advertisement

@MikeReiss:
    2014-05-05 18:29:47 UTC
    Filed to ESPN with @FieldYates: Patriots are signing veteran DE Will Smith, formerly of the Saints, per source.

He's coming back from an ACL injury he suffered last summer (August I think) and he'll be 33 when the season starts. Providing he is back to full health I think it's a good move. He's a pretty powerful guy and is very good against the run. It was an area of need for me because I thought Nink & Jones looked burned out by the end of last season. I expect him to rotate in for quite a few packages now and give the lads a breather. Good to have an experienced vet signed and it also gives us room to work on developmental prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

He's coming back from an ACL injury he suffered last summer (August I think) and he'll be 33 when the season starts. Providing he is back to full health I think it's a good move. He's a pretty powerful guy and is very good against the run. It was an area of need for me because I thought Nink & Jones looked burned out by the end of last season. I expect him to rotate in for quite a few packages now and give the lads a breather. Good to have an experienced vet signed and it also gives us room to work on developmental prospects.

He's a fine player, powerfully strong and I would have liked to see him retire a Saint. But we couldn't afford his cap hit this year. No doubt ye got him at a reduced price. He's very good pick up for the Pats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Got him on basically on a veteran minimum. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4762410/1-year-deal-for-de-will-smith

That signals to me that there is concern about him getting back to 100% at his age.

No risk signing, if it works out, great, he can be a serious contributor but if he gets cut after training camp, i wouldn't be surprised.

Tom Curran reporting that Mallet to the Texans might be done soon.

Drafting A QB will have to happen then and I hope it's AJ McCarron.

Hmm its gotta be a 3rd right?

I can't see the Pats taking a 4th or less.

My post from earlier in the off season:
    Hazys wrote: »
    There is 0 incentive for the Patriots to trade him.

They got him as a 3rd rounder, i presume the minimum they would want is a 3rd for him but no team is going to trade that much for a guy who hasn't started a game in 4 years and has a total of 17 passing yards in the NFL and its not like he's lit up the preseason ever.

If somebody offered a 4th or less, the Pats are not going to accept. They would have no viable backup that knows the system as well as Mallett. Brady will be 37 starting this season, the older he gets the more vulnerable he gets.

The trade would be crazy for anybody involved.

Mallett will probably be a career backup i reckon.

He is saying is just a rumour at this point and its for a 3rd.

If we get a 3rd, i'd be happy with that. Mallett has done nothing to scare anybody.

A 3rd seems steep for the Texans, as they will have to offer him a contract too. Which would be much more expensive than taking a rookie QB in the 3rd.

Hazys wrote: »
    He is saying is just a rumour at this point and its for a 3rd.

If we get a 3rd, i'd be happy with that. Mallett has done nothing to scare anybody.

A 3rd seems steep for the Texans, as they will have to offer him a contract too. Which would be much more expensive than taking a rookie QB in the 3rd.

The Mallett-Texans chatter died down in recent months so you'd wonder is this being resurrected for the sake of it, or whether it's genuine intel? I'd also be happy with a 3rd.

So we can now add Easley to the list of Gators that we've drafted in recent years. Brandon Spikes, Jermaine Cunningham and Aaron Hernandez being the others. Not exactly esteemed company now is it? But sure why not? Might as well draft a 4th or 5th rounder with suspect knees in the 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

That was a poor pick imo.
    Typical BB going against the grain, but problem here is that no one else wanted the guy, we could have waited to round two for Easley and used that pick on a player that wont be available later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement