Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms faux pas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Heckler wrote: »
    Anybody have any examples of good firearm handling in movies ?

Legend has it Val Kilmer's reload in the main shootout in Heat was taught to US soldiers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Actually, here's one to raise the eyebrows:

364332.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Even blanks are dangerous..Ask Brandon Lee [Bruce Lee's son],oopps you cant..He's dead,he picked up a gun loaded with blanks held it to his temple and pulled the trigger on the set of the Crow 2.Small bit of metal broke off the blank and was projected into his temple.
    He's not the only one there have been at least a half dozen actors killed by messing about with the prop guns in the last century in Hollywood.

Nice pic.I guess rubbish bins in the 1930s America were made of some seriously sturdy stuff if you could use them for cover in gunfights.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Legend has it Val Kilmer's reload in the main shootout in Heat was taught to US soldiers

The only good move I saw in that lead fest was Pachino taking proper cover behind the red Volvo and doing a proper mag swop. Putting engine block ,car tyre in the way of bullets and keeping the head well down:cool:
    The two police officers at 1:48 proved my point that glass and car doors are not good barricades for stopping 5.56 or any type of rounds.:eek:

If anyone taught US soilders that kind of a sloppy mag reload they had never fired an AR rifle or knew how to do a proper mag change.:rolleyes:

At 0;45 Kilmer ducks down and yanks the mag out without touching the mag button on the right side of the M4[?] from the butt end.Its a small enough button so wearing gloves makes it harder to work again,if he touches it at all,which he doesnt at .
    045 to 47 .He's groping around for another mag either in his bag,pants or jacket.If you are doing a round count righ,you should be reaching for it by the time the last three rounds are coming up so you know the last round is chamberd and all it is is a" drop and push" on a loaded gun,no need to recharge and fiddle about .
    In it goes at 0:48 and he SLAPS the bolt carrier release. Just to give you an idea of how big this is you are talking appx 1.5 cm long by appx 1cm wide bit of metal,say half a one cent piece,holding back a bolt carrier powered by a very large spring.So there is no slapping here,it is a deliberate forceful push to get an M4 or any of the AR platforms rechamberd,it was designed specifically to be like that to prevent accidental loading of rounds.Not Somthing easily moved by a slap I can tell you.
    Could go on about the appaling cover and move tactics ,seen lads who play Airsoft do much better.. the distances these lads are shooting at each other,and the amount of full auto fire being fired by the cops!

I'd hate to have been Pachinos chacter at that post shooting incident board of enquiry and hearings with all the police top brass,the district attornies,civil rights groups ,wall to wall lawyers for everyone involved in that shootout,The mayor,the council,the cornorer ,internal affairs,and proably the state govenor as well as well as the entire media hordes local,national and international.:DPoor guy would be in enquiries,court rooms and interviews until his retirement.:D

IOW Micheal Mann, Hollywood fiction and legend at its best.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Ah Grizzly. You burst my bubble. Always loved the Heat shootout.

How about Tom Cruise in Collateral ? Some good videos of him training for it on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 richie_braz

The Bourne Legacy had a semi auto bolt action sniper rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

Here's a few interesting ones.
    Shooter - a water bottle to silence a rifle??
    Kiss The Girls - Freeman shoots through a milk carton to stop the muzzle flash from igniting the gas filled room.
    Saving Private Ryan - the sniper (jackson) is left handed, firing a right handed rifle. He has to move the rifle off target so he can cycle the bolt. Surely the army would've had left handed rifles??

Incidentally, myth busters tried the milk carton theory. It worked. Although it didnt ignite without the milk carton either as the muzzle flash was too short (time wise) to cause ignition

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Heat???? love that armed robbery shoot out.
    I heard at the time that Andy McNab was the consultant (don't know if this is true).
    About not touching the release on the right hand side...isn't there an after market part that transfers the ability to release the mag from the left side on an M4?
    I found this out when I was dribbling over a .22lr version of the m4 (I think it was a colt...) before I relised that trying to get it passed the Super would be too much trouble (even though a few in Ireland seem to have managed to get it licenced...).
    It was a mag pul part I think and would actually work on the .22 colt version (if that was the make I was loking at at the time..)

I have a ambidex bolt release on my AR10.its fine for right handed operators ,but still is no great benefit to the leftie shooter or operation,as you are still hitting a now somewhat bigger carrier release button but operating a little lever on the right hand side . Also,they are really only new on the market within the last four years or so,and were not around on any M4 the time Heat was made.
    Its still not a standard issue or approved accessory for the US armed forces,so its doubtful it wouls be on Kilmers AR.

If Andy Mc Nab was involved as an advisor,it must have been on his day off after a good few scoops in the pub.:P Easiest way is check the credits,he would be mentioned in there someplace.
    Saving Private Ryan - the sniper (jackson) is left handed, firing a right handed rifle. He has to move the rifle off target so he can cycle the bolt. Surely the army would've had left handed rifles??

Nope .Sorry you just have to become right handed for the term of your enlistment!:D Or aquire a weapon that doesnt require right hand operation.Like a Garand,but not the sniper version,that was set up for righties too.
    It is a major PITA alright,as I have the same problem as do all lefties with right handed bolt actions...Discrimination of handicapped people I tell you!:D
    Shooter - a water bottle to silence a rifle??

An old one..Comes form one of the expedient DIY silencer books. Will work,somwhat,maybe,if ,but.For a single shot out of a .22 ,possibly,but anything bigger...er...no It's a race between gas volume and strength of the plastic soda bottle walls.Or thats how somebody explained it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Its true, McNab was an advisor on HEAT. according to a few internet sources (so it MUST be true :-) ). I just look it up...
    Also if you look at a few of his book bios, it says that he consults to movies/tv as well as writing books etc.

I like the story anyway.

• Advertisement

dc99 wrote: »
    Its true, McNab was an advisor on HEAT. according to a few internet sources (so it MUST be true :-) ). I just look it up...
    Also if you look at a few of his book bios, it says that he consults to movies/tv as well as writing books etc.

I like the story anyway.

Don't think I'd trust his bump of direction with a map&compass mind going by the story of bravo two zero.It is a good film alright but the trouble is people thinking what's on the silver screen somehow translates into how it is done in the real world or that types of weapons in films actually work or are freely available to all and sundry at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

IIRC there's a flashback hunting scene at the beginning of Red October. Capt Ramius is recalling when his grandfather taught him to shoot in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

OzCam wrote: »
    IIRC there's a flashback hunting scene at the beginning of Red October. Capt Ramius is recalling when his grandfather taught him to shoot in the winter.

Ramius was taught to fish by his grandfather, not shoot.
    You might be thinking of the flashbacks in Enemy at the Gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Yes, I remembered the fishin' but I thought there was some shootin' as well.

Memory needs defragmenting.

Zaytzev it was, not Ramius :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Any one catch public enemies with Johnny Depp or Lawless with Tom Hardy. Some good gun play in those and of course John Wicke but Keanu takes it to the next level there.

Advertisement