Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh go on then, I'll start! :) Had a Merkin special spaghetti bolognese which is chock full of red wine, smokey bacon, chorizo and lots and lots of beef stock. It's very rich and I made a big pot of it on Sunday night which furnished forth last night as well. It was ever so tasty if I do say so myself - I often wonder why food tastes even better on the second day but it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Ditto on that. I cooked a house-keepers cut in the slow cooker Sunday. We went to see relations who had prepared a huge amount of found so we didn't eat this meal. I re-heated the meat in the slow cooker yesterday evening for a few hours and it was falling apart. I resisted making a gravy with the stock and juices and have kept them for next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Nothing exciting due to the early week health eating but as this is versionII!

Stir fried pork with fresh mixed veg (and a pint of pepsi max)

Very sad since that lovely Harvest frozen stir fry mix went off the shelves (was very nice and converted me to stir fry). All cause of a little harmful nut contamination...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

On Sunday we had steak, spuds and peas. I defrosted what I thought was two pieces of striploin steak, turned out to be one large piece, so we halved it.

Last night we had a piece of duck that was stuffed with turkey meat and herbs and grand marnier (I think). Duck was lovely, but wasn't a fan of the stuffing, then again I don't like turkey anyway.

Tonight we are having Lamb stew and I can't wait. Been craving stew all week and found some lamb in the freezer and decided tonight's the night for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Tonight was sweet potato wedges, herbed beef meatballs, and an aubergine bake thing with tomatoes, garlic, breadcrumbs and cheddar. Amaretto hot chocolate for dessert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Falafel, flatbread, roasties and veg. Yeah, ketchup isn't a substitute for egg. It fell apart, but was delish. Definitely going to be a weekly thing.

Everything but the vegetables (frozen) were home made. I like making flat-bread.

Does anybody substitute salt for soy sauce when they're making past sauce? I think it adds a nice punch to meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Threw together quick meatballs in tomato sauce for dinner for five last night. Very simple and straightforward and very good. I made garlic confit at the weekend and used about five of the confit cloves plus a couple of tablespoons of the oil in the meatballs, and a couple more tablespoons of the oil in the tomato sauce.

The meatballs themselves were two wholegrain rolls shredded into breadcrumbs, equal mix of beef and pork mince, an onion shredded to near-paste in the blender, the confit garlic, plus pepper and salt. So simple but honestly they were EXCELLENT - not heavy or stodgy and the flavour was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Last night we had a Kris-Kringle night with my housemates, one of them made Irish chicken curry with rice and chips (We live in sydney, so this is actually a big deal)

It was amazing.

285010.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I miss the old HWIHFDLN thread already. So many lovely dinners that will fade into the ether of boards that no one will see:(

Ah, well, long live the new HWIHFDLN thread:D

Last night was buffalo rib eyes with fried polenta, salsa verde and bacon fat fried cabbage.

6S4jqv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Striploin steak, broccoli, M&S potato mash (:o -lazy, I know, but soooo good) and onion gravy made with steak juices, a little water, a little Worcestershire sauce, a pinch of sugar and S&P.

Overcooked the steak. :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I miss the old HWIHFDLN thread already. So many lovely dinners that will fade into the ether of boards that no one will see:(

Ah, well, long live the new HWIHFDLN thread:D

Last night was buffalo rib eyes with fried polenta, salsa verde and bacon fat fried cabbage.

Holy feck! :eek:

That steak looks UNREAL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Steak, mash and onion gravy.

No pics because it really looked like slop on the plate :p but it was fecking delicious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Steak is flavour of the week, it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Chicken fillet stuffed with mozzarella and garlic, with roasted brocolli. Had some leftover bolognase sauce, so threw that on the chicken too. Delicious!

I'm finally getting into cooking after living out of home for over a year! - in my first place, the kitchen was tiny and absolutely awful so I avoided it as much as possible! Now, I have a nice kitchen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Does it include deleted posts or something in the 10,000? Looked like there were 200 to go to me...

Anyway, tonight was Thai red curry with garlic croutons (cos they were in the press in front of the rice) and crusty bread. Really good, bit oily though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Went out for dinner last night - had 1/2 crispy duck in quarters, with a side of stir fried greens in soy sauce and a bowl of jasmine rice. It was feckin AWESOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Does it include deleted posts or something in the 10,000? Looked like there were 200 to go to me...

Anyway, tonight was Thai red curry with garlic croutons (cos they were in the press in front of the rice) and crusty bread. Really good, bit oily though.

Deleted posts also count too. Allegedly. The hamsters don't say too much about their trade sekrits. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Defrosted a steak, grilled, then thinly sliced. Fried an onion. Then lashed the lot into a crispy roll with some hot sauce & a couple of slices of Gouda. Magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I have been lurking on this thread for weeks - drooling every few days when I check in.
    First post, which is only because I took a photo (when I nearly had it demolished) to send to my sister who lives with me who was out at a fancy dinner to tease her. Went to Lidl after work: starving and aimlessly bought mackerel, salad, Camembert and their low GI bread. Left the mackerel and salad in the fridge.
    Baked Camembert with some rosemary and garlic. Oozy deliciousness ensued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Camembert with some rosemary and garlic. Oozy deliciousness ensued.

Holy cheesus. Wow. I could eat two of those right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Holy cheesus. Wow. I could eat two of those right now

I said I would only eat half of cheese and then have some salad. Then I had all of it. And then ate passionfruit curd from the jar with a spoon. And another glass of wine. And tonight was supposed to be my light mackerel salad to counteract the excesses of the season. Maybe next year! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

fiddlechic wrote: »
    I have been lurking on this thread for weeks - drooling every few days when I check in.
    First post, which is only because I took a photo (when I nearly had it demolished) to send to my sister who lives with me who was out at a fancy dinner to tease her. Went to Lidl after work: starving and aimlessly bought mackerel, salad, Camembert and their low GI bread. Left the mackerel and salad in the fridge.
    Baked Camembert with some rosemary and garlic. Oozy deliciousness ensued.

I saw Lorraine Pascale on TV doing that recently, but she added garlic cloves baked in honey. I was nearly licking the TV screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I saw Lorraine Pascale on TV doing that recently, but she added garlic cloves baked in honey. I was nearly licking the TV screen.
    Oh that sounds delicious!

Ok this might sound gross but I love garlic confit, I always get a few cloves when I buy my olives (the best olives EVERY at this market in a village in the middle of nowhere). But I only eat them when I know I don't have to go out in public for the rest of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

This came out of the oven. While the rest will have them with creamy mash, carrots & broccoli tenderstems, I will have it with rice, chilli condiment and cucumber slices.

001_zps19e02b2e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    This came out of the oven. While the rest will have them with creamy mash, carrots & broccoli tenderstems, I will have it with rice, chilli condiment and cucumber slices.

That looks seriously delicious.

I had fajitas tonight with lots of avocado and cheese on lettuce wraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Curried goat, basmati rice. First meal at home in what seems like ages. Really was only a couple of days. Christmas party overload.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had chicken stew tonight, it was lovely but I always find I'm starving a couple of hours after eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sorry for the photo, I know it looks really messy but I wanted to mix it all up so it looked saucy.

Home-made meatballs with spaghetti in home-made tomato sauce.
    Delicious!

2gxp45j.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Yesterday we had lunch and dinner rolled into one.

We were in Dublin so we went to the Elephant and Castle.

For starter we shared chicken wings with their blue cheese/garlic dip, tehy were scrumptious, really, really delicious.

For mains I had a burger with cheese and bacon and fries, it was lovely, but way too much in one portion.

My boyfriend had the lime and coriander chicken. He also got the Herb Frites with Sage and Rosemary which were lovely.

We then said we'd share the murder by chocolate desert which was very rich and heavy for me, so he ended up eating that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grilled (greedy portions) fillets of hake, Thai rice, sweetheart cabbage with lemon zest and a little beer, bacon fat fried kale with garlic.

The kale was a revelation for me. We have it growing in the garden and Mrs. Beer loves it but I always struggled to like it so I was looking for a way of cooking it that might appeal to me more. I fried it in a very hot wok with lots of garlic and I couldn't get enough of it! Very slow growing at this time of year, though:mad:.

4EBFfg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement