Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best winter wheel

Options
  • 26-08-2015 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

What's your winter wheel of choice?

I'm debating a new set of Zondas or should I pay extra for a Kysirium set ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Something with good seals for the bearings and a solid thick rim. The shimano fit freehub on the zondas can wear out very fast if used in wet conditions. The amount of rim wear in the winter can be staggering, so a thick rim wall would be more useful than a light one.

That said I would normally struggle to get more than a year out of winter/training wheels. Mostly due to the rims wearing out, bearings are easy to replace (even press fit ones).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Pave 28 from superstar components

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Borderfox wrote: »

tell me more

how do they stack up bearings, weight, rolling, tension, acceleration, aero, price etc etc

good man, just bought a set after reading road cc review

Really impressed with them so far, spin up fast and very comfortable even with 23mm tyres on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I had sciroccos, loved them.

Like greenmat, get the CX version of the campagnolo wheels, they have double sealed hubs so perfect for Irish winters.

Plus, you really want a nice heavy wheel during winter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Scirocco's are a great wheel for the price. The only thing I found with the lower end Campy wheels was the bearings failed quite early. Replaced them with SKF bearings and they are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

koutoubia wrote: »
    Scirocco's are a great wheel for the price. The only thing I found with the lower end Campy wheels was the bearings failed quite early. Replaced them with SKF bearings and they are brilliant.

Haven't found that myself, rode on them all last winter and summer, there on my commuter/training bike. For a similar price to Mavic Askiums, there miles better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Front Khamsin completely seized after about 6months use - and I mean the the wheel wouldn't turn. As mentioned the they were non cx so only had 1 seal on the bearings.
    The scirrocos were getting very rough after about the same time use and the bearings were the same. 1 seal on the inside.
    But agree I would ride either Khamsin/Scirroco over the Asksium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 CycLok

Would you not be better off getting Aksiums as winter hacks and replace them once they wear out? They'll get wreaked in the irish winter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

what do you want from a winter wheel? I want a winter wheel that I dont have to worry about if i hit a pot hole, or break a spoke. I also want something that I can replace easily enough when it does wear out and when the salt on the roads does destroy it.
    The best winter wheel set I had was a set of rs50 (i think) shimano wheels that I got for about 70 quid. I did nothing with them, they never went out of true, the bearings were grand, i rode in all weathers. I currently have a rigida 32 or 26 front wheel with hub dynamo and a powertap rear on my winter bike. They are heavy, but it's winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

+1 on lenny's post above.

My "good" wheels are zondas and I generally dont use them between November and March or on my commute. For commuting and general winter training, I have a set of Shimano 500/501s; cheap enough at about 140 for a pair and fairly robust if a bit heavy. So far no complaints with them.

i have the mavic cxps which I have 6 years. absolutely gem wheels. just fancied an upgrade and everyone's opinion.

i'll see how these Pave 24s roll :-)

From the time I have the pave's they are a better wheel than the Zondas, there's something about a handbuilt wheels suppleness that's really nice over our roads.

I rode tubulars years ago and these are nearly as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

From the time I have the pave's they are a better wheel than the Zondas, there's something about a handbuilt wheels suppleness that's really nice over our roads.

Do they look nice ? I was going with a pair of H plus Son Archetypes with Ultregra hubs but they are twice the price of these ( they are lovely though ).

Do they take 28mm tyres ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Superstar wheels aren't hand built - not in the true sense of the word. The hubs are hand laced, machines do the rest. Having said that, the quality of (properly) machine- built wheels is very good these days.

I think they look nice, make a nice tune as they roll. No problems with 28's, the rim is wider than most wheels and makes a 23mm nearly into a 25mm

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zenson

Looked at a few bikes in the 1800 price range recently. A lot have mavic aksiums. Are these complete crap. Reviews vary considerably. My usage wouod be 100k spin at weekend and a couple of 50ks during the week. Nothing competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

Where did you buy these and how much did they cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

That's one of the reason I like disc brakes, you're not wearing the rim of the wheel from day one. Only problem is that my recently purchased 'good bike' has disc brakes and the 'old one', now my winter bike, has normal brakes. I suppose I'll have to buy a third bike then !!!.

G1032 wrote: »

Direct from superstar components with a 10% discount from Facebook for £175 stg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Direct from superstar components with a 10% discount from Facebook for £175 stg

Looks like discount ended yesterday

G1032 wrote: »

bought them and they cost me £199.99 plus £5 delivery. that's €280 in last week's currency changes

I got them yesterday and they're still in the box. I'm debating whether to keep them or not and put the money instead to a race wheelset fund

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    bought them and they cost me £199.99 plus £5 delivery. that's €280 in last week's currency changes

I got them yesterday and they're still in the box. I'm debating whether to keep them or not and put the money instead to a race wheelset fund

Any chance you could post the exact link to what you purchased ?

Any why debating now after making the decision, is there something about them now that you see them that you don't like ?

I need a rear wheel but as it is very difficult to find a split set I am contemplating buying

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/elite-24-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.htm

and trying to move on my almost new zonda front wheel.

Any chance you could post the exact link to what you purchased ?

Any why debating now after making the decision, is there something about them now that you see them that you don't like ?

I need a rear wheel but as it is very difficult to find a split set I am contemplating buying

and trying to move on my almost new zonda front wheel.

Qty Product Options Total
    1 x
    £194.99 each
    Pave 28 Ultra 11Speed Wheelset 20/24 Plenty in stock
    Icon Ultra 11Speed Freehub x 1
    ICON ULTRA ALLOY 11Speed Shimano - also fits 8,9 and 10 speed
    WheelsetROAD Pave28 Icon Ultra 11Speed x 1
    700c PAVE28 Black Rims / ICON ULTRA Black Hubs 20H F - 24H R
    £194.99
    Items total
    £194.99
    Shipping charges
    EU2 UPS: £5.00
    Shipping total: £5.00
    Total
    £199.99

i've my eye on a pair of used campag boras ultras which have come on sale. i've not even put a QR into the wheel yet, it literally arrived in the post yesterday by courier.

if you're in Dublin, you're free to have a look at them. i've 14 days to return them for cost price which I'll probably do. they're lovely looking wheels. haven't weighed them but they feel light for alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I don't think 20/24 spokes is right for a winter wheel.

I've seen too many people break a single spoke and because of low spoke count have trouble limping home even after the surrounding spokes are adjusted to compensate. If you can't adjust the surrounding spokes yourself then all the more reason to have a high enough spoke count that the wheel will stay ridable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Depends on how much weight the wheels are supporting.

quozl wrote: »
    I don't think 20/24 spokes is right for a winter wheel.

I've seen too many people break a single spoke and because of low spoke count have trouble limping home even after the surrounding spokes are adjusted to compensate. If you can't adjust the surrounding spokes yourself then all the more reason to have a high enough spoke count that the wheel will stay ridable.

Doing some research on superstar and found the following thread

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12992903

which gives some good info into the icon ultra hubs used in the elite series:

Have not found anything specific on the rims yet.

On a general note just shows how one fellows winter wheels can be anothers race set which is what I am looking at the above for.

I bought winter wheels last year and just looked for the cheapest set I could find which was Shimano R501s for 86e including postage.

Thinking here is ride them till something goes wrong (and after a full winter 501s still perfect) and when it does tru or fix yourself (save the hassle of dropping into LBS) and if an arse is made of the repair job bin them and buy another set !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I use the Fulcrum 5 CX on my wintery bike......

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collection/road/cx

Advertisement