Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

bazermc wrote: »
    I saw a guy today jogging with a sky cycling jersey on. Wtf!!!!

Yeah they don't look good on runners either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

First spin in 3 weeks yesterday, after smashing myself up.

Got a puncture on the rear 12 minutes from my front door, before spinning on to Howth with a friend. Saw a red Boards Jersey at the start of the cycle path in clontarf.

Torrential rain on the way back in, along with hailstones, but it was actually pretty enjoyable on the cycle track. Not so much if I was sharing it with traffic.

Arm/shoulder is a little bit stiff today, but going to head out again after work tomorrow. So happy to be back in the saddle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Short spin on the new bike, Cruagh road - Massey's wood - Stocking lane - Military road - Couple of coilte tracks - Crone wood - Knockree - Enniskerry and home. Starting to get to grips with the new bike and nice being able nip off road for bits, though the 32c slick marathon supremes don't much like the mud (could also be user error).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I had my last cigarette after my lunch at work. Princess Diana died later that day/night).

I don't think you should blame yourself for Princess Diana.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Tomorrow, i.e. today (it's 1.15am) I'll be 18 years free from a 55/60 a day habit! :cool:

(The day is easy to remember - 30th August 1997. I had my last cigarette after my lunch at work. Princess Diana died later that day/night).

Smoking kills..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Haven't done a whole lot of mileage lately and have 2 sportives in a few weeks so I decided to rectify that today. I was also trying out my new helmet for the first time. I don't know if it gave me much of an aero advantage but I looked fking awesome :D
    Set off at a nice steady pace, then did a few quick hills at speed and then back to steady pace on the flat for a while.
    I'm always saying that I'm better to keep moving yet I stopped for coffee, relaxed too much and the legs burned within a few km.
    The few weeks laziness and 3 extra kilos didn't help either, HR was much higher than I'd have expected on the flat.
    Stopped for a pee at one stage and forgot to unpause the garmin so I lost about 2 km. When I got back home I was on 99km so no way was i leaving it at that. Headed out the road and back with my 2 quads on fire, a damn tough 2 km add on to make sure I was over the ton.

Longwood -Enfield -Newtown/Ovidstown hills -Kilcock -Summerhill -Trim -Athboy -Ballivor -Hill of Down -Longwood.
    101 km in 3:50@ 26.4kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/380780617

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

(The day is easy to remember - 30th August 1997. I had my last cigarette after my lunch at work. Princess Diana died later that day/night).

I'm told Prince Charles remembers it similarly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭devonp

Great day in the Blooms
    weather held, well organised and marshalled
    lovely stop in Kinnity after descending the Wolftrap
    then off up Glendine and home via second ascent of the Cut
    didn't see any other boardies, wore the new jersey and casquette
    well done to all and thanks to Tullamore ctc for the day

forgot to mention the barbie after as well, great nosh(reminded by koobcam in an earlier tread, [pedal the peaks])

127Km, 1675m up, 4h35m rolling and 27.8Kmph avg
    https://www.strava.com/activities/381344365

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

First ride in clipless pedals today. Didn't have the inevitable fall happen yet but it's bound to come sooner or later as I was cycling around the driveway trying a different cleat position I nearly toppled over but just about reached the window sill in time. The pedals are great and definitely make a difference just need to find the right cleat position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

smacl wrote: »
    Starting to get to grips with the new bike and nice being able nip off road for bits, though the 32c slick marathon supremes don't much like the mud (could also be user error).

Check out Vittoria Voyager Hypers for your next set. I replaced my Marathon Supremes with these and felt they were that bit nicer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Hypers are great tyres alright, but not necessarily for mud :)

On the other hand I cycled whole Royal Canal on them (38mm, low pressure - 3bar)... but it was fairly dry weekend.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Just back from Portugal. Got in 3 spins, got an 77km, 47km and 74km
    Did Monchique twice, this is just under 860m of climbing, started at 12km into it and ends at 33km. Was a lovely climb and view.
    Great to cycle on almost pothole free roads in 20+ temps, hit 30 degrees on the last cycle.

https://www.strava.com/activities/378444061

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Most memorable part of my Cycle today:
    Watching someone drive past tucking into a sandwich whilst I'm there peddling away with the rain dancing on my helmet and the wind pushing against me forcing me to work harder :)

Hey! Today is the last day of August folks. Just Sincerely Hope you All had A Lovely Month of Cycling

oot4kN8.jpg

Safe & Happy Peddling,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ... whilst I'm there peddling away ...

...Safe & Happy Peddling..
    I have visions of you standing in the rain in Moore Street with some sort of contraband! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Most memorable part of my Cycle today:
    Watching someone drive past tucking into a sandwich whilst I'm there peddling away with the rain dancing on my helmet and the wind pushing against me forcing me to work harder :)

Hey! Today is the last day of August folks. Just Sincerely Hope you All had A Lovely Month of Cycling

oot4kN8.jpg

Safe & Happy Peddling,
    kerry4sam
    whilst I'm there peddaling away,

that expression has a completley different meaning to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

10 mile commute home in torrential downpour. Shorts and a t-shirt.
    Don't think I've ever been as wet in my whole life. Good craic tho, and still beats driving to/from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

16 km commute home in torrential downpour. Shorts and a t-shirt.
    Don't think I've ever been as wet in my whole life. Good craic tho, and still beats driving to/from work.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Garthvader

A quick 30km detour on my commute to work, via Enniskerry, relatively flat.
    The last bike commute of the summer... After this have to drop the kids off in the mornings.
    😞
    And then it'll be too dark in the evenings 😔😔

Alek wrote: »
    Hypers are great tyres alright, but not necessarily for mud :)

On the other hand I cycled whole Royal Canal on them (38mm, low pressure - 3bar)... but it was fairly dry weekend.

Have Schwalbe spikes for the winter, which were awesome on the canals last winter in a mixture of mud and ice. Only downside is on the road it sounds like your cycling through a bowl of rice crispies. Now that the dry summer is officially over, I might stick a semi-slick or cross tyre on the rear until the really bad weather kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Garthvader wrote: »
    A quick 30km detour on my commute to work, via Enniskerry, relatively flat.
    The last bike commute of the summer... After this have to drop the kids off in the mornings.
    😞
    And then it'll be too dark in the evenings 😔😔

I used to drop the kids off, return home, hop on bike for commute. Added a bit to my travel time but was much happier than driving to work.

Also, it's never too dark in the evenings...
    B&M175qt.jpg
    80_Lux_600_px.jpg

• Advertisement

Lunch time spin up to Foxes via the Blue light and back via Cruagh road. Disc brakes still not great, but possibly still bedding in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

smacl wrote: »
    Lunch time spin up to Foxes via the Blue light and back via Cruagh road. Disc brakes still not great, but possibly still bedding in.

Still haven't tried mine on anything steeper than the magazine fort hill. I think they're about the same as working cantis, with the operative advantage being they don't lose power in the wet like Cantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A nice 20km spin up to Sutton and back on the new bike, by Odin do you feel every bump on the road on a Monza

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Jebus. I got well soaked today.

I left work at Airside to head home to Terenure around half 5 this evening. I waited for a rain shower to stop and was thankful that the NW wind would provide some assistance.

At the airport roundabout the rain started again and didn't stop the whole fcuking way home. I wear glasses so visibility was way less than optimal in the rain. I kept going. It's 19km to work and usually I throw in an extra 2km on the way home just to make it an even 40km for the day. All the way home I told myself no extra 2km today but as I looked at the Garmin as I neared home I applied rule 5 in a small way and did the extra 2 as I couldn't possibly get any wetter.

Soaked. Cold. Hot shower. Beer. In that order.

Bike is now fllthy. :(

Lunch time spin up Cruagh across to Stocking lane and into Massey's wood for a bit of CX fun in the mud . I knew I was bad descending off road, but I shocked myself at what a total wimp I am. Good fun though, and hopefully the situation will improve with a bit of practice over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Hi All,
    I've been following this tread for a while now - have used many of the posts as inspiration to try get out for a cycle. For the last 6 - 8 weeks I've been trying to bring my phone with me to track my cycles on strava, short cycles compared to most here. I was out for a cycle after work this evening & managed to get a PB on each of the 6 hill segments on the route- very happy with this as I really enjoy the challenge of the hills. 384 metres worth of hills over 19km.
    I'll be hoping to up the distances, so I might post back here again about more cycles. I've gotten in a few 50km weekend cycles and am hoping to make a 100km cycle before the end of September.

https://www.strava.com/activities/383410607/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colossal 13.3km this evening, which is the first time i've been on the bike in two months, due to ongoing knee issues, probably/possibly due to a bad ergonomics issue at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

ofthelord wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I've been following this tread for a while now - have used many of the posts as inspiration to try get out for a cycle. For the last 6 - 8 weeks I've been trying to bring my phone with me to track my cycles on strava, short cycles compared to most here. I was out for a cycle after work this evening & managed to get a PB on each of the 6 hill segments on the route- very happy with this as I really enjoy the challenge of the hills. 384 metres worth of hills over 19km.
    I'll be hoping to up the distances, so I might post back here again about more cycles. I've gotten in a few 50km weekend cycles and am hoping to make a 100km cycle before the end of September.

Fair play, keep it up! Why not sign up for the Great Dublin Bike Ride on the 13th September?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Passed the 3000km for the year mark today and then, when I got home on 3018km I had also passed my 2014 total-which was a best up to then, so pretty chuffed*.

As an aside, as I rode into Newtownmountkennedy from the N11 northbound I noticed, in the small fenced off green area, almost opposite Gregory's garage, a grandfather and his 2/3 year old grandson walking towards the bench in the middle. They're a regular sight in that little field but today I got a huge smile when I noticed the grandad, as always, on his stick but also the grandson had obviously decided that he now also needed one!! When I went past I looked back and I actually laughed out loud at the innocence of it. Got me thinking that among the other benefits of our sport one of them is to be able to see things like this on a daily basis that would otherwise pass us by. Well done those two men-capped off my successful day nicely!

* Other posters please refrain from posting that they've passed 5000,7000km etc for at least 48 hours so I may continue to wallow in my smugness ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

ofthelord wrote: »
    Hi All,

That's how we all started more or less.

Well done on your progress so far. Once you've cracked a few 50km spins a 100 is inevitable!

Well wear!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement