Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad slowing down site

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Getting really bad lately.. Scroll down on the touch site, and the page moves aaaaagggggeeesss later..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And the 500 ad still keeps coming back, the bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Getting really bad lately.. Scroll down on the touch site, and the page moves aaaaagggggeeesss later..

I thought my phone was goosed. "Swipe down to scroll multiple times, insane lag, make cup of tea, more lag, then ALL THE INPUTS!"

Cleared my cache and cleaned the phone before I copped on it was in boards end.

Edit - oh and my capital is at risk again. Welcome back Plus500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK, here's the thing.

The next time people say "get an ad blocker" in response to any issues we have with advertising and display ads, I'm banning them from whatever forum they're saying it in, ok? Those ads pay my wages and the wages of my colleagues. To come along to our place of work and actively campaign against our ability to pay our bills, our rent, put food on our tables, etc is way out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Apologies - in this case it was not suggested to campaign for any of the above, but to solve a usability problem caused by the sites lack of control over ads - and only for users experiencing that problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have no problem with adds. I know websites need them for income. But it's annoying to be scrolling through threads and accidentally clicking on them. Could you not move adds to the bottom of the page as its a joke ATM.

The location of the ads is a factor in how they work. If we put them all at the bottom of the page, they'd only be worth a fraction of what we currently get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Dav wrote: »
    The location of the ads is a factor in how they work. If we put them all at the bottom of the page, they'd only be worth a fraction of what we currently get.

can something be done with the size of them.. up until recreantly the ads in the middle of threads were small and non intrusive now they are big taking up nearly half the screen depending on what pone you are on and animated making it hard to scroll by without going into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They're ads not adds /pedant

I sympathize with the office, this issue comes up pretty frequently. You stamp out one set of obnoxious ads (the autoplaying video ones. Kill them all) and another will take its place; some will be pinged as false positives by internet security and others will as mentioned, seize up the functionality of an entire page. Is it feasible to create a Report Ad function, wherein a report button is installed around each advertisement frame so data can be directly collected about the time, place, and content of a problematic ad?

shanec1928 wrote: »
    can something be done with the size of them.. up until recreantly the ads in the middle of threads were small and non intrusive now they are big taking up nearly half the screen depending on what pone you are on and animated making it hard to scroll by without going into it.
    The smaller ads that were there before are no longer an option because they make zero money I'm afraid.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Is it feasible to create a Report Ad function, wherein a report button is installed around each advertisement frame so data can be directly collected about the time, place, and content of a problematic ad?
    I've been giving some thought to this to. It's a pain in the arse to have to be facing this though since every fracking ad that Google serves has a "report" link on it, but the more you click it, the more you'll keep seeing that ad (or at least this has been my experience with that 500 ad and the numerous Russian Brides ones that keep repeating themselves for me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Russian brides?

Dav wtf have you been googling

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

I didn't even know there was ads on this site! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭shodge

Use m.boards.ie , no video ads

Advertisement