Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Function keys to turn on wireless

Options
  • 02-06-2014 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

I have a faulty ribbon cable for the quick launch touch sensors on my Targa Traveller 1534 laptop, apart from that, the laptop is running perfectly. I want to turn on the WLAN capability but do not know if there is a function key combination that will allow me to bypass the switch & turn on the wifi, anyone know how this might be achieved?

This is the keyboard layout, all of the Fn key buttons are highlighted in blue, I'm not seeing any wireless symbols unfortunately.
    keyboard-English-UK-for-Targa-Traveller-1534-pId-2513377.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I've afriend who has that exact laptop, but its very sick (noisy fan, thermal shutdown), but I don't have it to hand. What does Network Connections tell you? Disabled/Not Connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Have you tried Fn F2 combination?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If there is a hardware switch some work like light switches and once that's off the wireless card is disconnected from the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ichabod Chrane

I am almost sure it is FN + F 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭jesse pinkman

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I've afriend who has that exact laptop, but its very sick (noisy fan, thermal shutdown), but I don't have it to hand. What does Network Connections tell you? Disabled/Not Connected?

Network connections tells me it can't find any wifi signal & to turn on wifi capability . . which I can't do in its current state. Mine has a noisy fan too, must be a fault with them all.
    Cerco wrote: »
    Have you tried Fn F2 combination?

Yes, I tried that & every other combination to no avail, I then thought that if I removed the damaged cable altogether (just in case it was shorting the F2 function) but I still had no luck with it after doing that.
    GarIT wrote: »
    If there is a hardware switch some work like light switches and once that's off the wireless card is disconnected from the laptop.

Correct, thats exactly the issue I'm facing, the switch is inactive because of the damaged cable so I'm trying to find another way to bypass the switch & turn on the wifi.
    I am almost sure it is FN + F 12

Regrettably the FN + F 12 only turns it onto sleep mode.

Thanks for all your suggestions folks, I eventually plugged it directly into the router & we got watching our programme that way, but its a pain using the laptop so restrictively when we have wifi in the house, however maybe some of you might know were I'd be able to get one of these ribbon cables which is the main cause of my issue.

Thanks again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89226971

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

As a last effort I would reinstall the WiFi driver and then go through the function key combinations again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Can you see which pins on the ribbon cable are joined when the switch is closed and bridge them somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Correct, thats exactly the issue I'm facing, the switch is inactive because of the damaged cable so I'm trying to find another way to bypass the switch & turn on the wifi.

The only way for the WiFi card to communicate with the laptop is through the cable that goes through that switch so if the switch is damaged it is impossible for the card to communicate with the laptop. If possible you'll need to bypass the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

How about a USB wifi card as a workaround?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150Mbps-Mini-USB-WiFi-Wireless-Adapter-Network-LAN-Card-802-11n-g-b-150M-/121192298854?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item1c379fb966 for about 6 euro from UK

edit: I'll ask my friend who has the same laptop if he's scrapping it, he doesn't use it (wouldn't pay for a new fan/heatsink (eur50)) and has a new one

Advertisement