Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Phone Advice

Options
  • 08-11-2012 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi, I have always had your standard run of the mill mobile phone, however I am looking to get a new phone. My gf has an iphone and I have messed around with hers a fair bit and I do like it but couldn't justify spending that much money on one.

• I am prepay with 3 mobile at present and plan to stay that way.
    • I would mainly just use the phone for making phone calls,sending texts and using the internet - facebook, hotmail, betfair, paddypower and just general browsing the internet.
    • I have an ipod for music and a digi camera for photos so it's not essential that the phone is ideal for music or photos
    • My budget would be around €200 - €300.
    • I just want something modern,, user friendly, ideal for the internet, not too big and won't be out of date in a few months time
    • When it comes to gadgets/electrical items I generally prefer to buy brand new instead of second hand
    Any opinions on the below
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nokia+lumia+800&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anokia+lumia+800

All suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Read about it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056478384

Got one myself recently. Very impressed so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Read about it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056478384

Got one myself recently. Very impressed so far

Thanks for the link.

Where did you buy the phone and how much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Thanks for the link.

Where did you buy the phone and how much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking.

02 for 199 prepay. Think Vodafone have it for around 170

eh i dunno wrote: »
    02 for 199 prepay. Think Vodafone have it for around 170

I'm with 3 mobile (prepay), and they seem to have it for €449 :eek: So will have to look to buy it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,401 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Lumia 800 runs Windows Phone 7 and cannot be upgraded to version 8. If you want a phone with the latest OS, you could consider the Google Nexus 4 which you should be able to get for €300 when released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The Lumia 800 runs Windows Phone 7 and cannot be upgraded to version 8. If you want a phone with the latest OS, you could consider the Google Nexus 4 which you should be able to get for €300 when released.

This is true, but having said that, it will get an upgrade to WP 7.8, which will give the same UX as WP8 for the most part. It will also get OS support for the next 18 months.
    I think the way things are going these days, it's more than just the phone you have to consider, it's the whole "ecosystem" (damn, I hate these corporate terms). For example, if you but an iPhone, you get tied into using iTunes, iCloud, iWhatever. With an Android you get gmail, google docs, google+ etc. With a Windows phone you have use a Microsoft account (@Hotmail, @live, @outlook), you get xbox integration, xbox music, Office on the web, integration with Windows etc.
    The point is, once you get stuck into any of these systems, it makes it very hard to move as it's not just about getting a new phone anymore, it's about moving all your stuff out of iTunes, copying all your photos to a different cloud service, or buying all your apps again on a different system etc.
    So, consider all of this before you make the leap. If you have a load of music in iTunes and you're happy with that, strongly consider an iPhone. If you use gmail/google docs and are happy with the kind of wild west approach to user experience, upgrades, app quality etc. then get an android. If you use Windows/xbox/Hotmail/Office, then you'll get more mileage out of a Windows phone.

HTH

This is true, but having said that, it will get an upgrade to WP 7.8, which will give the same UX as WP8 for the most part. It will also get OS support for the next 18 months.
    I think the way things are going these days, it's more than just the phone you have to consider, it's the whole "ecosystem" (damn, I hate these corporate terms). For example, if you but an iPhone, you get tied into using iTunes, iCloud, iWhatever. With an Android you get gmail, google docs, google+ etc. With a Windows phone you have use a Microsoft account (@Hotmail, @live, @outlook), you get xbox integration, xbox music, Office on the web, integration with Windows etc.
    The point is, once you get stuck into any of these systems, it makes it very hard to move as it's not just about getting a new phone anymore, it's about moving all your stuff out of iTunes, copying all your photos to a different cloud service, or buying all your apps again on a different system etc.
    So, consider all of this before you make the leap. If you have a load of music in iTunes and you're happy with that, strongly consider an iPhone. If you use gmail/google docs and are happy with the kind of wild west approach to user experience, upgrades, app quality etc. then get an android. If you use Windows/xbox/Hotmail/Office, then you'll get more mileage out of a Windows phone.

HTH

Thanks for your reply and I see your point about the "ecosystem".

I definitely wouldn't be getting an iphone, so it would either be the Nexus 4(Android) or Nokia Lumia 800 (Windows).

I presume I still would be able to access hotmail via an Android? Also is it possible to add music from my iTunes library to an Android/Windows phone?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Thanks for your reply and I see your point about the "ecosystem".

I definitely wouldn't be getting an iphone, so it would either be the Nexus 4(Android) or Nokia Lumia 800 (Windows).

I presume I still would be able to access hotmail via an Android? Also is it possible to add music from my iTunes library to an Android/Windows phone?

Thanks

Yes and yes :-)

Advertisement