Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-12-2011, 23:46   #1
Elessar

Nokia Lumia 800

Does anyone have one?

I used to be a big iPhone fan, then switched to Android (Galaxy S2 is my current) but now I want to try Nokias Windows phone comeback.

Anyone have one? What do you think?

Phonesonline have it for €540.
Advertisement
10-12-2011, 03:49   #2
anthony4335

Got one a couple of weeks ago. First off , it feels nice in the hand, the software is as good as the rest for what I use it for ,light surfing, email calls and messages. It has all the apps I used on my android, news and weather ,facebook, youtube etc . The one thing is that it is not flash compatible so rte player is out, but it has a youtube app so thats good. One thing is the one I have does not allow a personal hotsopt nor tethering (T-mobile germany have this removed) so If you want this you might want to wait for an official sim free unit. So at the moment I still prefer Android ,just but I prefer the nokia phone. So would I suggest you buy it, try the window phone and see if you would like it as a software, if you do the Nokia will not let you down and I would say go for it. Otherwise stick with Android. Hope this helps.
Thanks from:
10-12-2011, 12:09   #3
AntiVirus

I've just ordered my cyan Nokia Lumia 800 from Germany for 479 euros sim free. You can get the black Nokia Lumia 800 from Germany for 408 euros.

http://www.guenstiger.de/Preisvergle...Lumia_800.html
10-12-2011, 15:58   #4
nialldinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiVirus View Post
I've just ordered my cyan Nokia Lumia 800 from Germany for 479 euros sim free. You can get the black Nokia Lumia 800 from Germany for 408 euros.

http://www.guenstiger.de/Preisvergle...Lumia_800.html

Is that one for 408 sim free?
10-12-2011, 16:40   #5
AntiVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialldinho View Post
Is that one for 408 sim free?
It is sim free but it does have T-Mobile branding. There is no T-Mobile branding on the phone but it might have a T-Mobile splash screen on start up for a couple seconds after the Nokia splash screen.
Advertisement
10-12-2011, 17:19   #6
nialldinho

Quote:
It is sim free but it does have T-Mobile branding. There is no T-Mobile branding on the phone but it might have a T-Mobile splash screen on start up for a couple seconds after the Nokia splash screen.
cool. thanks.

the cheapest site with all the positive reviews, mobilebomber.de, doesn't seem to ship to ireland though!
11-12-2011, 11:37   #7
CyberGhost

DO, NOT, BUY.

WP7 is terrible, you'll get bored with it in 15 minutes, no, in 5 minutes.

WP7 has no developer support, Microsoft pays developers to develop apps for them.

Trust me you'll be throwing money away.
11-12-2011, 12:08   #8
jahalpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGhost View Post
DO, NOT, BUY.

WP7 has no developer support, Microsoft pays developers to develop apps for them.

I have had a Windows Phone 7 (HTC HD7) phone for the last few months and have been very impressed with it.

Windows Phone 7 is very well designed and is probably the best mobile OS out there at the moment. It is a lot better than both iOS and Android. The Mango update sorted out most of the problems in the first release

I have had both iPhones and Android phones and the Microsoft Phone is much better and much faster.

The Android phones need far higher speced hardware to run properly than the Windows Phone. I have used several Android phones including the Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S2 and the SE Xperia X10 mini

iOS looks like it was designed by Fisher Price. The hardware spec in iPhones prior to the 4S was a joke and Apple's extremely closed system is terrible. The recurring serious bugs in the iOS updates are also extremely worrying especially considering that all hardware is controlled by Apple.

While it's true that there are fewer apps in the Windows Marketplace than the Android or iTunes this should change now that Nokia has put its support behind it. A lot of the Android apps are terrible and should be avoided
11-12-2011, 13:42   #9
AntiVirus

Quote:
DO, NOT, BUY.

Some one will say that about every OS. Just look at all the problems people are having with Android! Laggy, crashing, apps not working, virus, etc... the list goes on and on. The best advice I always see for Android is to buy the most powerfull phone you can and you'll still have all those problems. Or you'll often here about flashing on this rom or that rom etc... I was doing this long before Android was out and you'll get bored of having to do this all the time. You'll just want a phone that works.

The girds of icons on iPhone's were great when they came out but now its a bit Windows 95 ish. Still imo its a better choice than Android.

Quote:
WP7 has no developer support
It's only been out just over a year now and the app store growth rate is on par with apples iphone growth rate and reached the 40,000 apps faster than Android did. So developer support is growing faster than it did for Android and at the same rate as the iPhone.

Just do a quick google for the WP7 app market growth rate and you see how fast its growing.

http://www.netbooknews.com/36778/win...-par-with-ios/

Quote:
Microsoft pays developers to develop apps for them.
Who could say thats a bad thing? It shows that Microsoft are commited to the WP7 os and want to bring the numbers of apps up at a quick rate and its working well.

You're always best off doing some research before buying a phone so just do a google to read the latest reviews of the WP7 operating system to see whats said. I haven't seen any reviews where they have recommended not to get it. All reviews have been very positive. The only downside you could say is the lack of apps (over 40,000) at the moment but they all expect this to grow and the growth of the market place proves they are right.

Last edited by AntiVirus; 11-12-2011 at 13:45.
Advertisement
12-12-2011, 17:34   #10
AntiVirus

In case anyone is interested, Simply Electronics are selling the Nokia Lumia 800 for 445 euros (black model) and 449 euros (Cyan model) with free delivery to Ireland and both are in stock.

http://electronics.simplyelectronics...ia%20800&asug=
12-12-2011, 22:38   #11
nialldinho

any sign of the 710 coming out soon?
12-12-2011, 23:23   #12
AntiVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialldinho View Post
any sign of the 710 coming out soon?
It could be the first week in January in the UK, no sign of when either will be out in Ireland, sometime in Q1 2012

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...nuary--1046255
Thanks from:
13-12-2011, 20:12   #13
hadoken13

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony4335 View Post
One thing is the one I have does not allow a personal hotsopt nor tethering (T-mobile germany have this removed) so If you want this you might want to wait for an official sim free unit.
Nokia have stated (not sure if it is 100% official though) that they will make tethering available in the new year as it currently is not available anywhere on the 800.

Quote:
DO, NOT, BUY.

Go troll somewhere else.
13-12-2011, 20:14   #14
hadoken13

Quote:
In case anyone is interested, Simply Electronics are selling the Nokia Lumia 800 for 445 euros (black model) and 449 euros (Cyan model) with free delivery to Ireland and both are in stock.

http://electronics.simplyelectronics...ia%20800&asug=
How trustworthy is this site or that German site you ordered off? And does it come with any warranty?
13-12-2011, 21:56   #15
AntiVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadoken13 View Post
How trustworthy is this site or that German site you ordered off? And does it come with any warranty?
I ordered off Digitalo.de and it has scored 4.64 out of 5 on Trusted Shops from 356 reviews in the last 12 months so thats pretty good. It comes with a 12 month warranty.

https://www.trustedshops.de/bewertun...B9C1476F0.html

Simply Electronics scored 4.1 out of 5 on the Review Centre from 1864 reviews so that's scored pretty good too.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews230803.html
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion