Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Thanks Ecoli, it was a niggle as you say that I kept ignoring, last Wednesday was out running & ended up walking the last mile home, feeling very sorry for myself. Couldnt get an appointment with local sports massage place (never been before so taking it as a good sign that he is so busy!). A friend is into that sort of thing so he did some work on it for me, does seem to be improving and my compression socks arrived from Wiggle yesterday so am wearing them to work today :). First time that I've ever had something which actually stops me running, usually its just excuses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

BobMac104 wrote: »
    ok ICE BATHS/cold water baths

who uses em , who thinks they are good and how do you go about doing them.

Ie do you jump in straight away after your run or do it on a seperate occasion?
    I swear by them could all be in my head though :rolleyes:. definitely do them during the summer after longer LSRs. can't bring myself to do them during the winter. i fill the bath up with cold water, just to the waist put on a nice warm fleece and bring a cuppa with me and i can manage 20mins in it... prefer them to hot baths at this stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

fair play to you Nules.... i will HTFU:D and will try one some day when legs are really bad!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Hi everyone, back in the land of running at last! Only taking it slow to build up the leg again but enjoying so far :)

I tried cold bath with ice after some LSR last year they are painful but really worked. Then after one LSR my husband brought me out the back garden and sprayed with the hose! I had a really warm jacket on and a cup of tea in my hands so he just sprayed the hell out of my legs (literally:D). It really did work. Did it after the marathon too and apart from difficultly with the dreaded stairs and my injured knee the rest of me felt fine. Will definitely be doing it after each LSR this year. So my humble advice would be the hose, it's quicker and easier to handle and worked just the same as the bath for me. Also saves having to try and get out of the bath afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

ahahhah i can just imagine asking herself to hose me down out the back!

For the baths would ye jump into them straight after the run or have a shower and do it later on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Hi Youngann
    Feeling fine after class.Legs were very sore at weekend - struggle to sit down if i needed to go to loo lol!!Eamonn said if he got any cancellation he would book me in for the thurs class.hope i9 get in.If not i will go to class in club active - new gym in navan.Doing duathlon with mate in Naas sun - havent been out on the bike since summer so should be fun !!
    Def if you want some company for run tomorrow eve def drop a txt.Gang from club will prob be going out for run sat morn at 9 so will drop you a txt if i hear people def meeting up

Galway....RE@ KB class...trick is to book yourself in for the next weeks class before you leave on Mon/Thurs as they are very busy atm...im not around Sat so it will be end of Jan before i'll be doing any long runs...Raheny 5m next week and then will start my 18 week plan for Cork!!

For the baths would ye jump into them straight after the run or have a shower and do it later on?

Straight in after the run bob. Maybe get your stretches in first while
    The bath is filling up and in you go. It's a bit :eek::eek: at first but you get used to it. But make sure you move the legs around as the water does warm around the legs after a while so keep moving them every so often to bring cooler water to the legs. Enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|6|41.6|76.6|76.6|so far so good for 2012|
    Younganne|0|0|0|0|back to it today|
    red face dave|4|17.5|34.5|34.5|
    Nules10 |4|24|58|58
    Conseng||||
    run44|4|31.25m|61.5m|61.5m|
    shazkea||||
    KittyMittens|2|7.3|20.3|20.3|Cant seem to get leg fixed and back running|
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|2|9|9|9|

A lot of catching up to do already :)

alitoast wrote: »
    Nules10 |4|24|58|58
    Conseng||||
    shazkea||||
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|2|9|9|9|

A lot of catching up to do already :), wowser, just reading the full thread, will try the cold bath at the weekend, could never do it before but this thread is made of meaner stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Nules10 wrote: »

Straight in after the run bob. Maybe get your stretches in first while
    The bath is filling up and in you go. It's a bit :eek::eek: at first but you get used to it. But make sure you move the legs around as the water does warm around the legs after a while so keep moving them every so often to bring cooler water to the legs. Enjoy :D

I have tried the Nules10 method and I can vouch that it works :)

:D

Nules10 wrote: »

:D

Nules10 method used tonight not as bad as i thought. You get used to it ok. We.ll see how the legs are in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Cant make the Raheny 5 so instead I am doing the The heath 10k this Sunday its only 10mins from my house so it will be a nice change not having to travel to a race.

Anyone else doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nules10 |4|24|58|58
    Conseng||||
    shazkea|4|24.4|48|48
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|2|9|9|9|

Haven't checked the thread in a while so catching up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Ice baths...yep another one who swears by them...mind you not that I bring a mug of tea, fleece and book to the sessions like some peeps :p

Hopped in on Sat after my hill session as I knew I had LSR on Sun morn...eh it was frigging freezing and a few choice words were uttered!!

Legs are good this morning maybe something alright to this ice bath thing

Legs are good this morning maybe something alright to this ice bath thing

will definitely have to try it at the weekend...i did the shower version after run at lunch but there was a que so didn't get too long at it.

I did the session Ecoli gave us for Wed and here is how it turned out:eek:
    (direct copy from my log)

warm up = 1m@10.02/160
    6@3min 5m pace with 2m recovery
    1. 3min @ 8.17/185, 3min @10.52/171
    2. 3min @ 8.50/182, 2min @11.27/167
    3. 3min @ 8.24/182, 2min @10.53/173
    4. 3min @ 8.39/181, 2min @10.33/172
    5. 3min @ 8.35/180, 2min@10.06/167
    6. 3min @8.15/181, 2min10.07/174
    cool down 1.19m@10.03/170

Definitely found this session difficult and probably shouldn't have been doing it yet but thought i'd see what shape i'm in for Raheny 5m next week....

1st 3min @ 5m pace looks more like my 5k pace and i needed 3min recovery to get my HR down from 180.:eek:..took the next one slowre but probably a bit too slowly..the other 4 look more like a proper 5m pace...but too be honest the way i was feeling today, there is no way i could hold that for 5m....
    so probably will aim for 9min miles in Raheny and try to push on in the last mile to get near a time of 44mins

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Younganne wrote: »
    ...so probably will aim for 9min miles in Raheny and try to push on in the last mile to get near a time of 44mins

Hope to get back running tonight and would also like to aim for 9 minute miles in Raheny, not sure I'll make it in 44 though :)

Fair play anne straight back into it in fairness!

• Advertisement

Great running Anne, your back in the game :)

Well done younganne! Best of luck to all running in Rainey next week too.
    Set up to try a cold water bath last night but popped to the kitchen for some water and came back to see steam in the bath (never turned the water to cold). Couldn't be bothered waiting so hopped into a cold shower instead.

I'm now a convert to the cold water treatment

alitoast wrote: »
    Well done younganne! Best of luck to all running in Rainey next week too.
    Set up to try a cold water bath last night but popped to the kitchen for some water and came back to see steam in the bath (never turned the water to cold). Couldn't be bothered waiting so hopped into a cold shower instead.

I'm now a convert to the cold water treatment

:D:D very good. next time eh ;)

Ice cubes at the ready in the freezer :cool:

Finished my first race of 2012. Did the Heath 10k this morning and got a new pb by 7 mins. Finished in 50 mins I am delighted . Wind was a bloody nightmare. Enjoyed racing a shorter distance.

Felt very strong the first two miles so I pushed on as much as I could. The 5th mile I was having a little break in hoping to do a quick 6th, was hoping to do the 6th mile in 7.30 and maybe just get under the the 50 minute mark but just missed out. Overall very happy on a tricky enough course.:). May start doing more of Ecoli sprints.
    1 8:05.6
    2 7:46.6
    3 8:10.2
    4 8:17.0
    5 8:32.4
    6 7:59.3
    7 1:52.3

Now what's next.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Finished my first race of 2012. Did the Heath 10k this morning and got a new pb by 7 mins. Finished in 50 mins I am delighted . Wind was a bloody nightmare. Enjoyed racing a shorter distance.

Felt very strong the first two miles so I pushed on as much as I could. The 5th mile I was having a little break in hoping to do a quick 6th, was hoping to do the 6th mile in 7.30 and maybe just get under the the 50 minute mark but just missed out. Overall very happy on a tricky enough course.:). May start doing more of Ecoli sprints.
    1 8:05.6
    2 7:46.6
    3 8:10.2
    4 8:17.0
    5 8:32.4
    6 7:59.3
    7 1:52.3

Now what's next.

Well done Dave! Great race to start the year off!

Congratulations Dave, 7min off previous...that fantastic... great running!!!
    keep up the good work.... you must be delighted!!

went for LSR today...did 9.3m in 1:31:30...ave pace 9.50, avg HB 168
    this was fine in places and tough in others but i headed out for 8m but had picked a point for turnaround and it was slightle longer that i remembered but didn't mind...few hills & long "slopins" in there so felt like it was a good run.

then i had a cold bath:eek::eek:..it was fine after the first 5mins and then legs were so sold i didn't really notice it...will definitely have them again;)

Thanks Run & Anne I am delighted alright. Looking forward to getting back to it on Tuesday :-)

• Advertisement

BobMac104|||76.6|76.6||
    Younganne|4|21.21m|21.21m|21.21m|delighted to be back on the roads:D|
    red face dave|||34.5|34.5|
    Nules10 |||58|58
    Conseng||||
    run44|||61.5m|61.5m|
    shazkea|||48|48
    KittyMittens|||20.3|20.3||
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|||9|9|

I don't think I be able to catch some of you.....there's good mileage on the table and only 3 weeks into the year!!;)

Advertisement