Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭maik3n

The FTA channels are the same signals that Sky use. Sky's own HD channels tend to have higher bitrates.
    which, technically speaking would be what exactly?

Are we talking 10 MBPS or something way out there like 20/30 MBPS, lol? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

This is a typical example of a TP according to KingofSat

I'm sure there are others far better qualified than me to elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how often do channels change their frequencies on FTA astra 2?? vintage tv is off the last few nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fryup wrote: »
    how often do channels change their frequencies on FTA astra 2?? vintage tv is off the last few nights

It's moved frequency 11261.00 H.

Some channels never move frequency, others occasionally and others again like the Showcase channels moved a few times in a short period of time. It depends on the channel and their contract with the satellite capacity provider I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Can I watch Sky Go on my television via my iPad & Apple TV box, on a UPC broadband connection?

The Sky account I am logging into isn't registereed at my address but no part of the chain of iPad/television/broadband/AppleTV should be able to detect this and reject it right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭zg3409

Bateman wrote: »
    Can I watch Sky Go on my television via my iPad & Apple TV box, on a UPC broadband connection?

The Sky account I am logging into isn't registereed at my address but no part of the chain of iPad/television/broadband/AppleTV should be able to detect this and reject it right?

We cannot discuss how to illegally access services you have not paid for, but yes if you are visiting a friends house who has UPC you can use your credentials to access Sky go. Be aware the number of devices allowed has been reduced and you can only unregister/re-register so many devices per month. Go above this limit and you are stuck. There is a dedicated thread somewhere for this service here.

Any link to said thread?

From googling it, there seems to be a specific block on Apple TV/AirPlay, anyone with any further info please share though

thanks all

The Cush wrote: »
    It's moved frequency 11261.00 H.

tried to retune but got nothing :confused:

signal strength 60% quality 0%

or some freq not obtainable in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Did you enter the correct symbol rate, 27500?

or some freq not obtainable in ireland?

Just tuned it in on my receiver here now, 75% ss / 100% sq. All OK.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Did you enter the correct symbol rate, 27500?

yes i did and pol H, but zilch:confused:

yes i did and pol H, but zilch:confused:

Sometimes if your dish is not pointed correctly it may not pick up some transponders. The best way to check is to connect to someone elses dish. Then you will know if it is a receiver or a signal problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i've got a 65cm dish up at the moment, when it rains the weaker channels break up.......so with the winter looming should i get a bigger dish?? if so how big??

philstar wrote: »
    i've got a 65cm dish up at the moment, when it rains the weaker channels break up.......so with the winter looming should i get a bigger dish?? if so how big??

80cm should be fine. Where are you located approx?

I installed a 60cm for my sister in Dublin last year, no problems reported since. 80cm will be better as you move westwards

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^

mid-west, birdhill co tipp

birdhill co tipp

Know it well, 80cm will be fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

You must be pretty sure the 65cm dish is set up as well as it can be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure where to ask this. or if been covered, but considering one of the top end Freesat boxes, usally only sold and marketing in the UK, but worried concerned that all the features wont work here.

Think its one of the Humex boxes, has the 7 day EPG, 7 day catch up for certain channels, record fuction of 500GB +, Wifi, and BBC and ITV iPlayer.

I assume all would work because Ireland is in the Satalite footprint that GB and NI uses, bar the iPlayers as they require a UK IP, however I ask as we are not UK would there be any chance that other stuff might not work. I asked the sales assisant (was a NI Store) was the catch up service internet based, but he could not give me a defianate answer. If it is internet based could this to be blocked as well I would not have a UP IP.

Anything else I need to consider or bear in mind them on them, considering not using them in their advertised area, bar the above and picking a UK post code to use, would either an NI one, or a an old London one.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Not sure where to ask this. or if been covered, but considering one of the top end Freesat boxes, usally only sold and marketing in the UK, but worried concerned that all the features wont work here.

Think its one of the Humex boxes, has the 7 day EPG, 7 day catch up for certain channels, record fuction of 500GB +, Wifi, and BBC and ITV iPlayer.

I assume all would work because Ireland is in the Satalite footprint that GB and NI uses, bar the iPlayers as they require a UK IP, however I ask as we are not UK would there be any chance that other stuff might not work. I asked the sales assisant (was a NI Store) was the catch up service internet based, but he could not give me a defianate answer. If it is internet based could this to be blocked as well I would not have a UP IP.

Anything else I need to consider or bear in mind them on them, considering not using them in their advertised area, bar the above and picking a UK post code to use, would either an NI one, or a an old London one.

Catch up is internet based. Some services work outside UK, some do not, in particular BBC. We cannot discuss circumventing regional restrictions on boards.ie

The postcode you enter will determine the regional programming put at the start. A NI postcode will give preference to BBCNI region. Someone say London gives a better setup, but you can change any time.

The main issue is they do not receive Saorview so you would need another device/box/TV/remote for the Irish channels. A seperate Saorview box with series link is about 200 Euro and has some limitations and another remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

zg3409 wrote: »
    Catch up is internet based. Some services work outside UK, some do not, in particular BBC. We cannot discuss circumventing regional restrictions on boards.ie

That I understand, just wondering was it, or was it not based on an internet service. If it was it was, and if alot of the channels required a UK IP, i know BBC and ITV do, then I propbably wouldn't waste the money on buying one with that feature.
    The potcode you enter will determine the regional programming put at the start. A NI postcode will give preference to BBCNI region. Someone say London gives a better setup, but you can change any time.

Why would a London Postcode give a better set up? Is there more channels for the London region. Personally it would be my preference, as originally from there, I would be more interested in events there, although do enjoy some of the regional programs NI BBC has to offer. Is there a function to mannually tune in additional regional varieties on them?
    The main issue is they do not receive Saorview so you would need another device/box/TV/remote for the Irish channels. A seperate Saorview box with series link is about 200 Euro and has some limitations and another remote.

Thats already sorted. Currently watching FTA via a generic satellite box. Has been a bit of a bummer this week having to retune it with some stations moving around. As for RTE programs, any I do watch (not that there's many) I do via the built in Saorview box on the TV.

That I understand, just wondering was it, or was it not based on an internet service. If it was it was, and if alot of the channels required a UK IP, i know BBC and ITV do, then I propbably wouldn't waste the money on buying one with that feature.

Why would a London Postcode give a better set up? Is there more channels for the London region. Personally it would be my preference, as originally from there, I would be more interested in events there, although do enjoy some of the regional programs NI BBC has to offer. Is there a function to mannually tune in additional regional varieties on them?

Thats already sorted. Currently watching FTA via a generic satellite box. Has been a bit of a bummer this week having to retune it with some stations moving around. As for RTE programs, any I do watch (not that there's many) I do via the built in Saorview box on the TV.

You can buy secondhand boxes without that feature which are much cheaper. Not all shows are available on the player anyway so you will see gaps in the shows offered.

People who like NI news prefer NI postcode. Sometimes there are regional variations. You can usually find other regions by selecting channels in the 800s. I have not attempted that myself.

Please note not all satellite channels are on freesat, as they need to pay to be on the guide. On some boxes you can add them on yourself, but series link does not work on them. No massively important channels, but if you are used to a FTA box you will notice the difference. Mostly the dodgy low budget channels. And it can be impossible/difficult to renumber channels if you want them in a different order.

However besides the drawbacks the humax box is highly recommended.

Using a London postcodes give you access to ITV HD, UTV HD isn't available until early Nov.

The other BBC regions are available at LCNs 950-971

List of channels on Freesat - http://www.channelwiki.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Freesat_(UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 symbol1

Guys you might be able to help me . I had a skyHD box with a card that got me all the Uk channels ITV/BBC4 etc etc ..
    My box blow up after 6 years of being on every day . I then went and bought a second hand Sky+HD Box .
    This box does not give me any of the old channels that I had . Is there something I need to do to the new box to recieve the english channels ?
    All help much appercated .

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Folks, Wondering if any of you have come across a box that will work with Freesat (not FTA) and Saorview. Can't find any mention of such a thing myself. I'm looking for the holy grail of just using one remote and eliminating the need for manual tuning of bbc & itv stations which happens with FTA.

grouchyman wrote: »
    Wondering if any of you have come across a box that will work with Freesat (not FTA) and Saorview. Can't find any mention of such a thing myself. I'm looking for the holy grail of just using one remote and eliminating the need for manual tuning of bbc & itv stations which happens with FTA.

No true Freesat/Saorview receivers out there I'm afraid. The Walker WP645TS-HD come closest in Satfree mode but different epg for the Saorview and satellite channels I believe. Some info here - http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/walker-wp645ts-hd-how-to-install-firmware-v3-8-satfree-from-usb-drive/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

So the parents have 'upgraded' to sky HD and are paying an additional subscription which does not include the movies or sports channels.

Now, having looked at the channels for around a day I cannot see any difference between the standard channel and the hd channel. TV is 2 years old so it should be decent.

Just wondering is there a reason why it doesn't seem to be any better or is there any way that I can test the resolution? A friend of mine has the HD pack and it works extremely well for him so I'm slightly baffled!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Is the box connected by HDMI cable and is that the input you are watching on the TV. If not you will not be seeing HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Is the box connected by HDMI cable and is that the input you are watching on the TV. If not you will not be seeing HD.

Cheers, hadn't even thought to look into the back of the box, I had assumed that when they sent out an engineer that he knew what he is doing. Turns out he had the scart lead connected and the channel was not a HD input channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BazCream

Hi, I need some help here and would really appreciate some advice. Basically I built a house and have moved in. My TV provider is Sky. My problem is:

I have Sky HD in the main sitting room.
    I have twin coaxial wired into living room and master bedroom also.
    All rooms have CAT 6 cabling.
    All coaxial and cat 6 meet in office.
    When the sky engineer installed sky he ran a magic eye to my bedroom using the RF2 from the sky box. He used a professional 4 port splitter in the office (where all cables are) to make it happen.
    Basically my question is, I have a 2nd sky box, can I use it as receiver in the living room to watch sky? (I know ill have to watch the same channels as the main box) but can this be done? and how do I do this?

Thanks in ad vane for any help

• Advertisement

What is the make and model of the professional splitter ?

The 2nd Sky box won't work with the main Sky box, it requires a direct connection to the satellite dish.

This will work - fit a 2nd Sky eye in the living room and connect the co-ax from there to the splitter in the office.

See information in this link - http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/split.htm (Split Digibox RF outlet for other TVs)

Hi, thanks for getting back! The splitter is a "TV LINK IN HOME DSTRIBUTION SOLUTIONS F140" Thanks for the link, ill hav a look now

BazCream wrote: »
    The splitter is a "TV LINK IN HOME DSTRIBUTION SOLUTIONS F140"

http://www.tvlink.co.uk/downloads/185099750_T-series.pdf

Thanks a million ill let you know how I get on....Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Is it possible to setup a new sky hd remote control revision 9 to work with a standard normal sky box?

Broke the old control today and the newer ones seem to be cheaper online. :(

Finical wrote: »
    Is it possible to setup a new sky hd remote control revision 9 to work with a standard normal sky box?

Broke the old control today and the newer ones seem to be cheaper online. :(

See here:
    http://www.sky-remotes.com/sky-plus-remote-sky-digital.shtml

however a word of caution, when you say "normal Sky" there are non HD boxes, non + boxes etc. It should work, but may not.

Also be warned a lot of the remotes sold online are not fully comptable/clones or older models and may not have these hidden features. You should be able to get the newer remotes in any TV shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

See here:
    http://www.sky-remotes.com/sky-plus-remote-sky-digital.shtml

however a word of caution, when you say "normal Sky" there are non HD boxes, non + boxes etc. It should work, but may not.

Also be warned a lot of the remotes sold online are not fully comptable/clones or older models and may not have these hidden features. You should be able to get the newer remotes in any TV shop.

Thanks for the reply!

The sky digibox is this one digsat_pace_sky-digibox-2500b_thb.jpg

Remote I'm thinking of buying is this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Sky-HD-Remote-Control-Revision-9-Latest-Model-Best-Price-in-IRELAND-/251297085526?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_RemoteControls&hash=item3a82793856

I've just sent the seller a question. Hopefully a positive message back.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

Hi, stupid question probably, but here goes:

I bought a new Sony TV, Bravia KDL-42W8158.
    By connecting the Satellite dish and the co-axial cables directly to the TV, I can get Irish and British channels, but I'm not sure they are in high definition. I can view them all by switching between digital/analogue with the remote.

I'd like to keep this setup, rather than use the STB, (I have a Traix Saorview/Sat model), but will I actually get High Definition this way, or do I need to get the signal through the STB and connect that to the TV?

Thanks for any advice/help.

getcover wrote: »
    Hi, stupid question probably, but here goes:

I bought a new Sony TV, Bravia KDL-42W8158.
    By connecting the Satellite dish and the co-axial cables directly to the TV, I can get Irish and British channels, but I'm not sure they are in high definition. I can view them all by switching between digital/analogue with the remote.

I'd like to keep this setup, rather than use the STB, (I have a Traix Saorview/Sat model), but will I actually get High Definition this way, or do I need to get the signal through the STB and connect that to the TV?

I could not find mentions of that exact model, are you sure it is exactly correct?

Anyway any modern 42" TV with satellite and aerial connections should be fine to receive high defintion signals by itself. RTE1 & RTE2 should be in HD and have HD logos in the corner. Other free HD channels include some of the BBCs. Not all channels will be in HD. another confusion is that some HD channels do not have every show in HD, such as old films, or shows filmed in studios without HD such as series liks "friends". Modern US shows tend to be in HD.

Generally satellite based HD channels tend to be slightly higher quality, and blue ray DVD higher again. It is quite difficult to tell the difference sometimes but try changing from a HD channel to it's non HD version and note the difference close up especially on nature shows on BBC. To notice the difference you need to site quite close to the TV.

Adding a set top box may not add much. Depending if the TV is Saorview approved or the set top box is Saorview approved you might get the 7 day guide, when you might not get it on the TV itself.

• Advertisement

getcover wrote: »

+1 to what zg says above.

I also have a Sony combi TV for a few years now.

RTÉ1 & 2 via the aerial are in HD format with programming in both true HD and upscaled HD.

The channels on satellite can be both HD and SD such as BBC, ITV, Ch4 so it depends on which version you tune in - http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

I could not find mentions of that exact model, are you sure it is exactly correct?
    Sorry, the model is a Bravia KDL-42W815B :o

Thanks for the advice and to The Cush also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Have a Sony Bravia Saorview approved with Freeview tuner. Disconnected old Sky box and tuned in freeview channels on the tv ok. Have aerial connected now but don't know how to get the Irish channels through the aerial. Could anyone give me some advice please?

maringo wrote: »
    Have a Sony Bravia Saorview approved with Freeview tuner.

Freeview or Free-to-Air (FTA) satellite?

Freeview is the UK terrestrial TV service via an aerial pointing at a UK transmitter, like Saorview here, it's often mixed up with FTA satellite.

I'll assume you're referring to FTA satellite, depending on which Sony remote control you're using you can cycle thru the Saorview terrestrial channels and FTA satellite channels by pressing the Digital button on the remote control.

Did you do a full terrestrial and satellite scan or satellite only?
    What is the full model no. of the Sony TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone know what channel was removed from the Sky EPG ? Only reason I noticed is because when I page down BBC 2 now appears at the top of the page it's on as opposed to E4 or More 4 or whatever it was. I'm guessing one of the MTV channels ?

Freeview HD Smart LED TV was advertised. Model Sony Bravia KDL 32W 653A. Using the remote belonging to it. Did a full scan but will check again and re-scan. Have the aerial attached but waiting for someone to put it up and align it so might be the problem. Thanks for your help.

Did scan again - doesn't find anything on analogue

• Advertisement

maringo wrote: »
    Freeview HD Smart LED TV was advertised. Model Sony Bravia KDL 32W 653A. Using the remote belonging to it. Did a full scan but will check again and re-scan. Have the aerial attached but waiting for someone to put it up and align it so might be the problem. Thanks for your help.

Did scan again - doesn't find anything on analogue

OK, based on your first post I assumed the aerial was installed and fuctioning normally.

The aerial must be installed and aligned to your local Saorview transmitter. After that do a terrestrial aerial scan and all channels should be stored normally.

No point doing an analogue scan, that network was switched off on Oct 24th 2012.

Does your TV have a satellite tuner, have you connected the satellite dish feed to it?

Thanks Cush. Yep have the dish connected and receiving the foreign channels grand now - done it through the TV which has freeview tuner so I disconnected the Sky dish as don't need it. Great reception on them. Am currently checking out an aerial installer as the OH wants the Irish channels NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How is it that rte 1 hd isn't available on Sky yet it's available on evision?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

How is it that rte 1 hd isn't available on Sky yet it's available on evision?

Mainly it's Skys choice. The channel is offered to them, but Sky have to pay for the broadcast from the satellite. Personally I am surprised that do not have it by now.

There are a couple of technical and "legal" issues. Firstly if they do broadcast it, they will continue to need to broadcast the non HD version as everyone with an old Sky box cannot pick up the HD version. Secondly they need to put it somewhere on the satellite. Depending on capacity and the number of transponders they may be able to squeeze the channel on to somewhere with no real cost, but if it requires an extra transponder there is a real cost to Sky, possibly quite high.

Lastly, the "legal" problem is that if they do broadcast RTE1 HD, they have to offer it for free to anyone with a HD box, even if they are not paying for the HD pack. Thus they can't say to people "pay extra for the HD pack to get RTE1 HD" because you would not need the HD pack to view it. The same is currently true for RTE2 HD on Sky, as in you do not need to pay extra for the "HD" pack, and an ordinary SD pack is OK for it. The reason for this is that if Sky take RTE1 HD from RTE then they must offer it to anyone on even the most basic pack, assuming their box is HD capable. So from a money point of view they will not get people upgrading or paying anything extra. So in reality it is a financial decision.

It's available on Saorview for free but you need a TV aerial and a compatable TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Is the weather causing it acting up, notice RTÉ TWO HD, TV3 mux braking up a good bit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement