Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Greethill wrote: »
    If I terminate my Sky+ subscription will the record function on the box still work for freesat channels ??

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Can a cat5e cable carry a tv signal lads? e.g. dvb-s, dvb-t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

Pangea wrote: »
    Can a cat5e cable carry a tv signal lads? e.g. dvb-s, dvb-t.

Yes and No. You need extra units. There are come TV to Cat5 Converters. Some need no power, some need power. Generally I would not recommend them unless you have no choice.

The ones I used are here:
    http://www.ibn-01.com/intelligenthome/product/141/lexcom-home-a110-tv-radio-distribution-module/lang/en

Ideally you would need foil screened Cat6 Cable (the best available) and no other nearby signals travelling in other cables.

Start a new thread under terrestrial and I can give advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Whats the most compact freesat box on the market?

I'm not looking for HD.

Recording wouldnt even be essential.

Have a small flat screen on bedroom wall but dont want box sticking out a mile.

Is freesat and free to air different?

Would this box do the job?

http://www.tvtrade.ie/xoro-3000-satellite-receiver.html

A box like this:
    http://www.satboxes.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=169

would hide behind the flat screen.

The box I linked to will only pick up the UK channels via a connection to a dish. Does your flat screen have Saorview built in?

FreeSAT is a brand name of standardised systems. It is similar to free to air but slightly different. For combined UK channels via a dish and Saorview via an aerial you would need a combo type box. Start a new thread and list what you have and what you would like and we will try help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Whats the most compact freesat box on the market?

I'm not looking for HD.

Recording wouldnt even be essential.

Is freesat and free to air different?

Would this box do the job?

http://www.tvtrade.ie/xoro-3000-satellite-receiver.html

This one is tiny...And cheap too...

http://www.satboxes.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=49

zg3409 wrote: »
    A box like this:
    http://www.satboxes.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=169

would hide behind the flat screen.

The box I linked to will only pick up the UK channels via a connection to a dish. Does your flat screen have Saorview built in?

FreeSAT is a brand name of standardised systems. It is similar to free to air but slightly different. For combined UK channels via a dish and Saorview via an aerial you would need a combo type box. Start a new thread and list what you have and what you would like and we will try help.

Thanks - TV hasn't saorview built in, previously just had the analogue signal. Still have BBC on deflector until end of the month. Combo box would be good alright but there's hardly be a box as small as the one you linked? That looks the perfect size.
    MrFrisp wrote: »

Good size and very cheap indeed, looks ideal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 itsmeuno

hi dmc

i just bought a sky+hd box from a friend but could not get bbc1-2-3 or channel 4 etc so tried with frequencies after
    looking on this site last night and now have all free to air without subscription thanks to this forum no card needed at all oh by the way my box is a amstrad if that helps in any way thanks pat... roi...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

I've cancelled Sky Sports but must wait for 31 days before it kicks in (I know, don't get me started!). I'm also cancelling my home phone. Apart from ordering box office does the lack of a phone line affect anything else? Can they still process the cancellation or even up-grade in the future without a home phone line? :confused:

donglen wrote: »
    I've cancelled Sky Sports but must wait for 31 days before it kicks in (I know, don't get me started!). I'm also cancelling my home phone. Apart from ordering box office does the lack of a phone line affect anything else? Can they still process the cancellation or even up-grade in the future without a home phone line? :confused:

A phone line is only needed for multiroom or pay per view events and movies you purchase through the box. You can still purchase films etc over the phone.

• Advertisement

A phone line is only needed for multiroom or pay per view events and movies you purchase through the box. You can still purchase films etc over the phone.

OK, I have multiroom also. So is there a requirement that you must have a landline to subscribe to multiroom? I can do without the landline but there could be murder in our house if it affects the multiroom.

donglen wrote: »
    OK, I have multiroom also. So is there a requirement that you must have a landline to subscribe to multiroom? I can do without the landline but there could be murder in our house if it affects the multiroom.

Yes you need a landline so they can check that the second card is being used in the house. You might get away with it for sometime but they will eventually charge you the full rate for the second card if it's not connected to the phone line.

Yes you need a landline so they can check that the second card is being used in the house. You might get away with it for sometime but they will eventually charge you the full rate for the second card if it's not connected to the phone line.

Thanks, will need to give this some further thought, think this is a headache for after Xmas. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bu33les

just posting cuz ^^^ is messing up main forum page with it's username.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

just reading the very interesting comments about multiroom. i had this installed well over a year ago and after about a week i disconnected the phone line to both boxes and so far they are both working away with the basic package i am paying for. however, i was recently given a present of a sky hd box by a girl emigrating to oz and she told me there was 6 months left on the yearly sub that she took out. i substituted this for my own multiroom box and had the movies and sports for a few days but it pretty soon rverted back to the basic package despite the fact that her card remained in the box. any ideas why this happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

just reading the very interesting comments about multiroom. i had this installed well over a year ago and after about a week i disconnected the phone line to both boxes and so far they are both working away with the basic package i am paying for. however, i was recently given a present of a sky hd box by a girl emigrating to oz and she told me there was 6 months left on the yearly sub that she took out. i substituted this for my own multiroom box and had the movies and sports for a few days but it pretty soon rverted back to the basic package despite the fact that her card remained in the box. any ideas why this happened?

Card obviously and sky box paired and connected/linked to her phone line possibly and the phone line helped the box communicate back to the sky software at headquarters and detect the anomaly when there was a software keys update and killed the package. I don't and won't subscribe to sky. The three free platforms available to me suffice. Sorry to hear that you lost your extra channels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

thanks freetv for your prompt response. i was half thinking of connecting my own phone line to the box but not sure if this would help or maybe totally screw even the basic channels up. i was planning to cancel my own multiroom sub while the freebie box is functional. wish i could get rid of sky myself but i like the ease of recording plus i move my multiroom box back and forth between two houses one of which is in the wild west of kerry where even saorview is tricky. again, many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 powerunit

hi i think your friend who went to oz has reduced her subscription to the basic package as she was possibly in a contract for 1 year ... as i am aware having your sky box connected to your telephone is only for the box office ppv etc ...or if you have two sky boxs /multiroom and both are connected to your telephone line sky can detect this at there end and if there computer/// servers ping your receivers and only get a reply from one receiver then they charge you full price for second multiroom box ... the telephone line connection to your sky box does not interfere with any sky pay channels or free to view channels at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just a quick question for anyone on here that can help me.

I currently have the HD pack with all sports and no movies.
    If I drop sky sports 3 and 4 off my pack, what change to my price
    of €83 a month will it make? And do I lose ESPN for free if I drop
    the sports 3 and 4?

Thanks

Just a quick question for anyone on here that can help me.

I currently have the HD pack with all sports and no movies.
    If I drop sky sports 3 and 4 off my pack, what change to my price
    of €83 a month will it make? And do I lose ESPN for free if I drop
    the sports 3 and 4?

Thanks

I think ESPN is only free with the full sports pack. Im not sure what the HD price is but by dropping sport 3 and 4 the SD price only drops from €70 to €62. The other option is if you tell them you're dropping sports you'll be almost certainly be offered a 20% discount for 6 months to keep it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm thinking of leaving Sky and moving to UPC. I've lots a questions (of course!) but the one that's in my head right now is this: If I leave Sky, I'm guessing the Sky GO app on my iPad won't work anymore (as I won't have any Sky Packages to watch). Do UPC have a similar kind of app?

Thanks...

J.

jasonb wrote: »
    I'm thinking of leaving Sky and moving to UPC. I've lots a questions (of course!) but the one that's in my head right now is this: If I leave Sky, I'm guessing the Sky GO app on my iPad won't work anymore (as I won't have any Sky Packages to watch). Do UPC have a similar kind of app?

You can sign up for Sky go without being a Sky customer:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056542085

UPC don't have a similar product at the moment. In some areas they do have "on demand" which only works on your TV using their box. Lineup and content is very different to Sky. With UPCs good internet (if it is available where you live) you could try Netflix although the content is very different to Sky.

UPC may launch a new box in the next year, but it's all unconfirmed, some staff are trialling it at the moment.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056579482&page=12

That box would do the same as Sky go, also allowing live TV to be sent to the iPad, however prices, availablility are unknown. You would probably need to be in an area enabled with 120Mb internet to possibly get the new service. But if you sign up with UPC you would probably be locked into a 12 month contract with the old box.

Some advice if considering moving, Sky need 30 days notice. In that 30 days they may offer you incentives not to leave such as half price for 6 months.

UPCs channels are different to Sky. Be very careful comparing one package to another, no two packages are the same and losing certain channels (and shows) can be an issue. Sky will block all your recordings meaning after you leave you cannot watch old stuff recorded on the box. UPC also have a downgrade charge if you remove packages.

Just do your research carefully. If you are moving due to costs, Sky will do a deal but it might take 3 or 4 phone calls.

Excellent post, thanks!

Yeah, cost is one of our factors. At the moment we're Eircom (Phone/DSL) and Sky. I looked at Sky's Broadband offer, and it looks like we'd save about €12 a month, and possibly have faster broadband. Then I looked at UPC. We'd get much faster broadband, and similar channels (even adding Movies/Sports) and it'd cost €18 a month less. Of course, there are set up charges with UPC, but they also have 'New Customer' discounts, so the setup would basically be free.

I know I cna hassle Sky and they'd give us some money off for a few months, but in the long run UPC are the cheapest, when all discounts are gone. I'm just trying to make sure that I think of all the different aspects (hence me thinking of Sky Go, as sometimes we use that).

J.

For some people the UPC digital plus box is annoying. Have you ever used it? Have you also confirmed UPC offer internet and phone where you live (you can ring them for free unlike Sky)

UPC may be cheaper for a reason...

Their website says my our house qualifies for the Internet/Phone and On Demand etc. And I think my in-laws have UPC, so I could check the box with them and see what it's like.

Thanks...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭dball

I phoned sky about 10 months ago to cancel my subscription for good but i was persuaded (damn them!) to renew for an additional 12 months and they would install a free HD box and upgrade to sky+ for no additional charge.
    I had the standard family pack and i think it costs about 28 a month.

I had the new HD+ installed in another room in the house and we stopped watching television in the old room.

I know it worked for a few days in both rooms because i remember being able to watch the free to air stuff on the old box.

I went to turn on the old box at the weekend an i cant get anything - nothing -

I called sky and they have told me its a €100 call out fee - Im just wondering is anyone else has had a similar issue and it can easily be resolved or do i need to get a sky installer to call out

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

dball wrote: »
    I went to turn on the old box at the weekend an i cant get anything - nothing -
    Im just wondering is anyone else has had a similar issue and it can easily be resolved or do i need to get a sky installer to call out

So you are saying the new box is working 100%?

Have you plugged the old box out for more than 30 seconds and then back in. Does anything light up on the front? What exact make and model is the old box (Is it white?)

Do you get no signal error? Is the TV turned to the correct channel AV etc?

the new box is perfect - im just after trying the old box in the room we havent used in a few months and getting error 29 up
    I have 2 old boxes and ive rebooted, changed cables, unplugged, everything and still saying error 29
    old box 1 is a very old standard sky box
    and the other is about 3 yr old sky+ box.
    they are both white and have a Pace logo on them

Error 29 is probably no signal. Can you try the dodgy box, in the room with the working box? Sometimes no signal is a cabling problem between the box and the dish, sometimes it is a faulty box. The only way to determine is to connect it in place of a known working box and dish.

So move the dodgy box to where a known good box works, and see if it works there.

• Advertisement

Error 29 is probably no signal. Can you try the dodgy box, in the room with the working box? Sometimes no signal is a cabling problem between the box and the dish, sometimes it is a faulty box. The only way to determine is to connect it in place of a known working box and dish.

So move the dodgy box to where a known good box works, and see if it works there.

thanks - ill try and see what happens.
    kids are watching Disney at the mo so it will have to wait.

Cheers

I've read through a few threads here and can't seem to find an answer to what I am sure has been asked before...

I have a sky+ box and want to cancel sky. I know I can get free channels still through it after i cancel sky, but I am getting confused by all the different terms

1. FTA & FTV, do I need to get a card or something to get these? If so, is it a monthly cost or once off and is it worth bothering to get it or go with the one that doesnt need a card

2. I see lists of channels supposedly available through my box after I cancel sky but I havent come across a list which includes irish channels (RTE, N2, TV3 etc). Am I missing something? Are these only available using a saorview box?

I am trying to reduce costs as much as possible so Id like to try and avoid having to buy more equipment / cards if possible, however if a once off purchase is necessary I could probably go for it depending on how much

Any help is appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

1. FTA & FTV, do I need to get a card or something to get these? If so, is it a monthly cost or once off and is it worth bothering to get it or go with the one that doesnt need a card

FTV (free-to-view) was a term used for soft-encrypted channels that required a card to view them but no subscription. The UK channels such as the BBC, UTV, CH4 etc. required a FTV card previously but went FTA some years ago.

FTA (free-to-air) refers to non-encrypted channels available without a subscription or card that can be viewed with any FTA satellite receiver, also available thru the other channels option on a Sky receiver. List of free-to-air channels at 28°E that can be received with your Sky dish - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

Unlike your Sky receiver if you use a FTA satellite receiver any changes to channels, frequencies etc. will not be automatically updated and you will have to enter the menu and maybe retune and reorder channels to suit your requirements. There is also no 7 day programme guide or red button services with a FTA receiver.

For viewers who like the user friendliness of a Sky receiver such as 7 day guide, red button, digital text, channel numbering and auto updates but with no subscription the BBC and ITV developed a standard called Freesat a few years ago. Any FTA channel that pays a fee can be included in the Freesat 7 day epg. Freesat channels - http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels

A Freesat spec receiver will be required. Standard single tuner zapper boxes and twin tuner pvr (freesat+) versions are available - http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/ (rh column). Plug and play with your Sky dish.

You can continue to view the FTA channels via your Sky receiver after you cancel your Sky sub but no recording or playback options are available. Remove the Sky card to see what channels are available.
    2. I see lists of channels supposedly available through my box after I cancel sky but I havent come across a list which includes irish channels (RTE, N2, TV3 etc). Am I missing something? Are these only available using a saorview box?

The Irish channels are encrypted via Sky and so require a Sky sub and receiver to view them. All the Irish channels are available with an aerial and Saorview TV and STB. A Saorview PVR is also available for recording the Irish channels.
    I am trying to reduce costs as much as possible so Id like to try and avoid having to buy more equipment / cards if possible, however if a once off purchase is necessary I could probably go for it depending on how much

Combi Saorview/FTA satellite receivers are available
    http://www.saorview.ie/product/saorview-combi-options/
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-digital-television/digital-satellite-combo.html

If you already have a Sky box I suggest keep on using it. If you use recording and series linking a lot on the Irish channels then I recommend a once off purchase of the PVR and a roof mounted TV aerial (all in possibly 300-400 Euro)

If recording is not important an aerial and a basic Saorview box would suffice, along with the old Sky box. Most basic Saorview boxes have some limited recording ability.

If you want to record and series link the UK channels then you need to splah out on a decent freesat + box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Do you get any HD channels with a HD box without having to pay the subscription?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Do you get any HD channels with a HD box without having to pay the subscription?
    I take it you mean with a Sky sub? If so you can get RTE2, BBC1, BBC2, Channel 4 (I think) all on HD. ITV1 HD is available - see this thread on front page about how to get it. There are another one or two available but I just cant think of them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

muffler wrote: »
    I take it you mean with a Sky sub? If so you can get RTE2, BBC1, BBC2, Channel 4 (I think) all on HD. ITV1 HD is available - see this thread on front page about how to get it. There are another one or two available but I just cant think of them now.
    Yeah, I meant paying a regular subscription including sports and movies. Not the HD sub.

Is It only certain programmes that are in HD? I've never really noticed much of a difference between Rte 2 and Rte hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

have the usb terminals on sky + box any use without sky subscription

anto

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

using sky box for free sat .when trying to enter other channels in services it keeps asking me to insert sky card ;how do i overcome this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Hi all,

Recently moved into a house that has a dish already installed. So all I need is to get a receiver. Not looking for a million channels, just the usual RTE, BBC etc., and possibly the kids channels.

What is the best option? I dont need any recording or fancy stuff like that, just the basic really. Any help appreciated, as google searches give back a mind boggling array of options!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Ferguson Ariva 150

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Recently moved into a house that has a dish already installed. So all I need is to get a receiver. Not looking for a million channels, just the usual RTE, BBC etc., and possibly the kids channels.

What is the best option? I dont need any recording or fancy stuff like that, just the basic really. Any help appreciated, as google searches give back a mind boggling array of options!

RTE is not free via a dish, you would need an aerial to pick up the Irish channels. You can use the dish for the free UK channels. If you never had a TV aerial on the roof it may be worth spending a little on a professionally installed rooftop aerial. Normally the installers like to supply the box themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭moonstomp

A quick question that hopefully someone can answer for me.

I currently have a SKY subscription and an old SKY+ Box. The box doesn't have a connection for internet so I can't access the new SKY "On Demand" service. SKY tell me that they won't upgrade my box and if i want a compatible box that I will have to upgrade my subscription to the HD pack. I don't want to do this as I'm happy with my current "Entertainment" pack.

I see a lot of 2nd hand SKY+HD boxes for sale. I'm wondering if I bought one of these would the "On Demand" service work for me then. I know that I have to get SKY to "pair" my current card with the new box but is that all?

I've been eyeing the Amstrad DRX890 box as a replacement for my old SKY box.

Any advice appreciated.

moonstomp wrote: »
    A quick question that hopefully someone can answer for me.

I currently have a SKY subscription and an old SKY+ Box. The box doesn't have a connection for internet so I can't access the new SKY "On Demand" service. SKY tell me that they won't upgrade my box and if i want a compatible box that I will have to upgrade my subscription to the HD pack. I don't want to do this as I'm happy with my current "Entertainment" pack.

I see a lot of 2nd hand SKY+HD boxes for sale. I'm wondering if I bought one of these would the "On Demand" service work for me then. I know that I have to get SKY to "pair" my current card with the new box but is that all?

I've been eyeing the Amstrad DRX890 box as a replacement for my old SKY box.

Any advice appreciated.
    So long as it's a HD box and as you said get the card paired you shouldnt have any problems. You dont need a HD sub to avail of the on demand

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭moonstomp

muffler wrote: »
    So long as it's a HD box and as you said get the card paired you shouldnt have any problems. You dont need a HD sub to avail of the on demand

Thanks Muffler. That's great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I was hoping someone could help me out..

I'm totally new to DTT and satelite. Thinking of cancelling my UPC TV service and buying a Saorview/Freesat combo box. I was hoping to keep the whole cost under €300.

So as I understand it, here are the things I need to buy:
    • A Freesat/Sky satellite dish with LNB
    • A roof top UHF aerial
    • A combo box with PVR and HD
    • Portable external hard drive(maybe 500GB to 1TB)

Okay so questions..

Can someone recommend any of these? Mainly the box.

Do I need a roof top UHF aerial? Could I use maybe an indoor aerial? I live in Dublin.

I know there are issues with the EPG on some boxes. Will I be able to get a 7 day EPG on both terrestrial and satellite?

I won't be able to install it myself, what are my options?

Well..how do I get the connection from the minidish and possibly the roof top aerial into the house?

Would all this stay under €300?

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I was hoping someone could help me out..

I'm totally new to DTT and satelite. Thinking of cancelling my UPC TV service and buying a Saorview/Freesat combo box. I was hoping to keep the whole cost under €300.

So as I understand it, here are the things I need to buy:
    • A Freesat/Sky satellite dish with LNB
    • A roof top UHF aerial
    • A combo box with PVR and HD
    • Portable external hard drive(maybe 500GB to 1TB)

Okay so questions..

Can someone recommend any of these? Mainly the box.

Do I need a roof top UHF aerial? Could I use maybe an indoor aerial? I live in Dublin.

I know there are issues with the EPG on some boxes. Will I be able to get a 7 day EPG on both terrestrial and satellite?

I won't be able to install it myself, what are my options?

Well..how do I get the connection from the minidish and possibly the roof top aerial into the house?

Would all this stay under €300?
    I was asking about something similar on behalf of a friend a few days ago. Have a look here and there are a couple of recommendations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just a couple of questions, if I buy my own box, dish and cabling and satellite finder is it an easy enough job to install and tune ? Also I'm in an apartment so hoping to put the dish on the balcony floor- what options are available to secure it tight enough that wind won't shift it's position ?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

Thanks for all replies, much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭maik3n

Quick question regarding bit-rates of HD channels.

While I'm sure they do vary depending on the broadcaster concerned I'm just wondering if there is any general average for Sky HD channels.

With fta ITVHD/Channel4HD/BBCHD I usually get around 6-8mbps.
    Would sky hd channels be much better or more or less in the same range? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The FTA channels are the same signals that Sky use. Sky's own HD channels tend to have higher bitrates.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement