Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hannibal [NBC/Sky Living] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I watched the first episode on Sky Living last night. Interesting show, I liked it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

After the second one tonight, I'm hooked. Hannibal is genuinely unnerving. will grahame IS the character from red dragon and the actor plays him so well. Cerebral and creepy... Excellent stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Same here, on episode 2 so far.

Every time Hannibal cooks food, or acts nice just gives me the creeps. Very good so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I have mixed feelings about this show. Sometimes it does manage to be genuinely disturbing, which is great. But there's just way too many shows at the moment where the lead is some kind of crime-solving genius with autism or some personality disorder, and so far Will is nowhere near the best of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

stiil no word on renewal?...this years Awake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

stevenmu wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about this show. Sometimes it does manage to be genuinely disturbing, which is great. But there's just way too many shows at the moment where the lead is some kind of crime-solving genius with autism or some personality disorder, and so far Will is nowhere near the best of them.

Could argue Thomas Harris first made that character type popular with Red Dragon. Swings and roundabouts.

I really can't cope with the fact this could be cancelled, it's not groundbreaking but damn if it isn't solid TV. Mads is the perfect Lecter, sinister yet when he's being "normal" you'd nearly love to sit down and have a chat with him! Totally messes with the viewers perceptions perfectly I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Again, the visuals were strong, and I generally liked it, although it did feel like they were just showing off with this one. And why not, I suppose. The body laid out on the stage/in the theatre was pretty impressive for the scale of that scene.

Not the first time there's been a death or two in Hannibal's office. Credit to the make up team as he looked pretty messed up after the fight. I don't think it's insignificant that he killed Tobias with a statue of the animal Will keeps dreaming about - an elk?

Again, the visuals were strong, and I generally liked it, although it did feel like they were just showing off with this one. And why not, I suppose. The body laid out on the stage/in the theatre was pretty impressive for the scale of that scene.

Not the first time there's been a death or two in Hannibal's office. Credit to the make up team as he looked pretty messed up after the fight. I don't think it's insignificant that he killed Tobias with a statue of the animal Will keeps dreaming about - an elk?

Never copped that, well played! Why did he cover hus prints if he was going to allow the cops come and play it out as self defense is my question? When I saw the hankie come out I was thinking cover up.... And that Tobias and Franklin were going in the freezer!

Two main gripes with this episode:

Hannibal played a dangerous game tipping off Will. What was stopping Tobias ratting him out as revenge whilst captured? Seemed to be a very strange gamble that Hannibal just hoped Tobias would be killed in pursuit. He would have been better served poisoning the food after all!

Also Crawford suddenly growing suspicions over Lester thwarting Tobias.... Until now he has been lodged in Lecter's rectum gushing over his food and confiding in him, now he suddenly isn't too sure.... Bit of a leap as until now I've been seeing the Crawford character in a somewhat incompetent light tbh.

Again Mads and Anderson were the best thing in the episode, great back and forth and a nice slow reveal of their relationship through the episode.

And I'll second the above, kudos on the makeup!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, I didn't think he was going to leave the bodies lying around. That puts him too much on the FBI's radar, surely.

Yeah, I didn't think he was going to leave the bodies lying around. That puts him too much on the FBI's radar, surely.

Thought that myself. Also escalates suspicion around him way too quickly given that Fuller has said he would like to tackle Red Dragon in season four, doesn't that mean then that Graham can't ever get too suspicious of Lecter until then?

Doesn't Lecter have a combat/martial arts background thanks to Hannibal Rising? Or is that just the movie? (never read the book, movie was bad enough). If that could have been a reveal along the lines of "I was scared but knew I could handle myself cause of blah blah" then suspicions wouldn't be so high. He could simply tell the FBI he has the required training to defend himself. As it stands they're wondering how this namby pamby dandy doctor killed a psychopath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw this the other night, think its episode 2 or 3, not sure, but I like it, very solid. The only fear I'd have is that it could turn into a "serial killer of the week" show, which would get ridiculous very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

looking for an guy fascinated by organs and then having this guy constantly serve organs, do these guys not talk

and what does bloom see in graham?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MJ23 wrote: »
    I love this new show. Seen 7 episodes so far. Mads Mikkelsen is brilliant as Hannibal. Always a big fan of Morpheus too.
    The show is very well made and the cookery scenes are great.
    Looking forward to seeing more.
    Does anyone know how many series there are going to be?

I agree Mads Mikkelsen is very good as Hannibal but I'm not keen on Dancy as Will Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

what was the story with the narrator - it sounded weird, like one of those dvds with the directors talking over the scenes.

1.09 featured another elaborate crime scene and now the cat's also out the bag re Hannibal helping Abigail...

i thought maybe that the old guy only killed the last and first guy and that hannibel mixed in his kills to throw them off the scent

Lance Henriksen? Would have liked to see more of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Renewed for a second season by NBC

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/30/hannibal-renewed/

did the show pick up much after the first 2 episodes, i fully expected it would get the axe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It picked up lots. This is one of the five best shows on TV at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Does anybody else find it difficult to understand what Hannibal is actually saying? Mikkelsen is very good but there is a lot of mumbling going on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Boots234 wrote: »
    Does anybody else find it difficult to understand what Hannibal is actually saying? Mikkelsen is very good but there is a lot of mumbling going on!

98% of his lines are no problem, there were a couple I just could not make out despite replaying them - generally hasn't been an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

yes..

very dissapointed with it overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

First few episodes were tough, I'm fluent in the guys mumbling now though.

i couldn't hear morpheuos last night either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I'm always amazed at this complaint it was the same with the wire (although it was more the lingo then the accent there), I've no problem following what he is saying , are you all watching the show with like thirty appliances buzzing away in the background. I mean even missing one or two words, so long as you are paying attention and know the context in which the word was uttered shouldn't be an issue.

Anyways delighted nbc have ordered a second season . Lets just hope fuller planned for one , afterall he's never been in this position before :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Yes !!

Second season agreed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

It's funny they had Lance Henriksen in this as I was thinking of his character Frank Black from Millennium about an FBI agent who could get into the heads of serial killers
    Obviously some kind of nod or thank you for the inspiration
    Lance Henriksen? Would have liked to see more of him.

Skerries wrote: »
    It's funny they had Lance Henriksen in this as I was thinking of his character Frank Black from Millennium about an FBI agent who could get into the heads of serial killers
    Obviously some kind of nod or thank you for the inspiration
    think the books were first

think the books were first

To be fair Millennium was quite different to what we saw in the Harris novels. There were a few similarities but Frank Black as a character was far more engrossing a character and the manner in which they played up his fear of exploring the darkness too far was far, far more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

niallon wrote: »
    Could argue Thomas Harris first made that character type popular with Red Dragon. Swings and roundabouts.

Did you even read Red Dragon?:confused:

Graham's character in the book was NOTHING like the this series' portrayal.
    True, his ability to assume the point of view of the killer(s) he was chasing had started to affect him badly, but he was NOT the socially-inept and "borderline autistic" misfit we see in the series. IMHO this character trait was thrown in because the Will Graham of the source material would not have been as enticing to a TV audience.

Advertisement