Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire vs. The Sopranos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Degag wrote: »
    Stringer is a superb character alright.

cant forget avon barksdale....i was pissed that he was gone after series 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Sopranos is a classic at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

jimpump wrote: »
    cant forget avon barksdale....i was pissed that he was gone after series 2
    He wasn't though.
    he was there until the end

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He wasn't though.

Know why?

cos the king stay the king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yup, i mean was there any character on the show who didn't think he was an asshole?
    ethical code? hmmm, it's a while since i watched it, but i guess so. Wouldn't have said Marlo after he killed Prop Joe though. What about the guy who killed Cheese?

Yes Sir you are right - I said Marlo instead of Omar by mistake and ninja edited the OP ;)

Yeah the guy who killed cheese seemed okay - Jesus Christ did I jump for joy when
    cheese got iced

• Advertisement

He wasn't though.

dunno what the spoilers about but i think i get what ya mean
    im pretty sure he appeared a few series' later talkin to someone? when he was locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

hondasam wrote: »
    The will hear you :)

you will be evicted.
    The see and hear all.

Isn't the Sopranos finished now? How many series are there. Ive never seen a single episode but I know the big guy is called Tony and I think I know the last scene because they were talking about it on the radio at the time...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The see and hear all.

Isn't the Sopranos finished now? How many series are there. Ive never seen a single episode but I know the big guy is called Tony and I think I know the last scene because they were talking about it on the radio at the time...:(

you should buy the box set and watch it. The wire is very good as well. You will get hooked on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

The see and hear all.

It was desperate housewives with fking gangsters and all the who gives a sh*t that goes with it...

RichieC wrote: »
    It was desperate housewives with fking gangsters and all the who gives a sh*t that goes with it...

Or it was one of the most brilliant tv shows ever.

• Advertisement

The see and hear all.

if ya have sky digital its on sky atlantic on channel 108, and they are 8 episodes in already but watch the rest and get series 1 on dvd

just checked there, 9.00 wednesday nights on ch.108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

I like these shows but preferred generation kill over the both of them, shame it was only a mini series

krudler wrote: »
    Or it was one of the most brilliant tv shows ever.

Well I agree it was decent, but it's a fking insult to the Wire that this thread was even started.

The see and hear all.

Just watch it for the love of god, you wont be disappointed, theres a reason its refered to as one of the greatest tv shows ever.

I like these shows but preferred generation kill over the both of them, shame it was only a mini series

Was really good too. I remember the first episode I watched I actually though it was real...

Well I agree it was decent, but it's a fking insult to the Wire that this thread was even started.

Insult to The Wire? how? The Sopranos started long before The Wire did

edit, nevermind, read that post arseways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Was really good too. I remember the first episode I watched I actually though it was real...

Thank christ it's not gay for a man to like Rudy.

so you're sayin the sopranos is ****???? WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Have only seen the first season of The Wire so far and the first three seasons of The Sopranos. Need to watch more to give a fair comparison and decide which is better.

Biggest difference for me is that The Sopranos grabbed me from the very first episode, whereas The Wire is more slow burning and takes a while to get into. Have the entire Sopranos collection and seasons 2-4 of The Wire at home, can't wait til I eventually have the time to get stuck into them. :)

Imo though there are more TV shows out there, other than those two, that deserve to be considered contenders for "greatest show ever".

Have only seen the first season of The Wire so far and the first three seasons of The Sopranos. Need to watch more to give a fair comparison.

Biggest difference for me is that The Sopranos grabbed me from the very first episode, whereas The Wire is more slow burning and takes a while to get into. Have the entire Sopranos collection and seasons 2-4 of The Wire at home, can't wait til I eventually have the time to get stuck into them. :)

Imo though there are more TV shows out there, other than those two, that deserve to be considered contenders for "greatest show ever".

*cough* Band of Brothers *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

*cough* Band of Brothers *cough*

Jaysus, that episode following the medic when they're in the forest with the snow was astounding. I'd pay money to watch it in a cinema.

Insult to The Wire? how? The Sopranos started long before The Wire did

Because the wire is another level of TV.

Sopranos can be compared to Weeds and Desperate Housewives, and favourably, but does not belong anywhere close to the wire in terms of quality and drama... and realism.

I reckon the only show anywhere close to the wire is Breaking Bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Six feet under.
    Goodnight Ireland.

Have only seen the first season of The Wire so far and the first three seasons of The Sopranos. Need to watch more to give a fair comparison and decide which is better.

please dont say them shows are 'Lost' or 'Prison Break'

im interested to know what ya think are better shows

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Have never watched them.

Spooks and Hustle is where it is at imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

jimpump wrote: »
    dunno what the spoilers about but i think i get what ya mean
    im pretty sure he appeared a few series' later talkin to someone? when he was locked up
    I was using spoilers for the benifit of those who haven't seen The Wire, and may not want to know who survives and who doesn't.:o

Buceph wrote: »
    Jaysus, that episode following the medic when they're in the forest with the snow was astounding. I'd pay money to watch it in a cinema.

Yeah it is, the Bastogne episodes are fantastic, especially Breaking Point, which has the series greatest moment in
    Spiers legging it across a German infested village to get word to the separated unit then coming back again dodging gunfire as both the Germans and Easy Company look on in awe, Spiers fcuking rocks in that series.

... you know what's so ****ing sublimely fantastic about The Wire... you see startling little snap shots and nothing ever comes of them..
    Like the police chief being spotted in a gay bar or 'the greek' forgetting something in the hotel room which might lead the cops to him..

... oh man it's all kinds of cool.

I need to see Band of Brothers like I need air. I'm almost ashamed I haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

The wire but I haven't really watched The Sopranos in depth tbf.

The winner of this thread can face the awesome that is Oz.

Advertisement