Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting sails cleaned and some minor repairs

Options
  • 17-01-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hello,

As per the above - is there somewhere (ideally leinster) where you can get sails fixed up (some minor rips), the sail numbers replaced and the sails cleaned as well?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Downer Sails in Dun Laoghaire, Watson sails out in Howth direction. Many marinas keep sail boxes where you drop off and pick up your sails.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

ezra_ wrote: »
    Hello,

As per the above - is there somewhere (ideally leinster) where you can get sails fixed up (some minor rips), the sail numbers replaced and the sails cleaned as well?

I used to put dinghy sails in the bath and scrub them with CIF. If there were partings along a seam it was a simple enough job to mend them myself. For cruiser sails you need a bigger bath! As previously mentioned, marinas have boxes for sail repairers, with labels to attach to the sails for details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I got in touch with Downer sails, as they are very close to my office.

Will be dropping the sails into them for review and a quote to get fixed up.
    Happy enough to try cleaning myself but I wouldn't have the confidence or skill to try and repair them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

Downer's... Do not be surprised if even to get a quote takes weeks... If they they do, they will do it well, though.

ahun wrote: »
    Downer's... Do not be surprised if even to get a quote takes weeks... If they they do, they will do it well, though.

Have the sails in wiht them

If I give them 10 days or so to prepare a quote before following up, is that 'normal'?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This time of year should be quiet - I'd ring them after a day or two and ask.

Bear in mind all these sailmakers can do multiple overnight rebuilds on destroyed sails when the events are on in the summer so a couple of days to quote when it's quiet is not unreasonable.

If they seem expensive, UK/Mac, North and Watson have drop boxes in DL Marina.

They came back with the estimates - seems reasonable enough.

Advertisement