Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with bought fresh herbs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

We grow our own, and I can't remember the last time I bought some. We supply our local farm shop too. Its easy to grow your own, they taste better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I mean herbs, not tomatoes, I love our own tomatoes too, and you can buy some tasty varieties, but you have to search for them, as most suppliers supply seed that's standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP, i know what you mean, it bugged me too.

All I can suggest is to eat with the seasons... Chives and coriander this time of year are either grown in some hydroponic floodlit environment, or flown thousands of miles. Neither of which give good flavour. Same for january tomatoes, or those turnips disguised as strawberries. Wait until they are in season and they will be much better quality, and local too.

The herbs i use this time of year are the hardy ones that have plenty of healthy tasty leaves in winter. Rosemary, thyme, bay and some bizaarly overwintering parsley.

I know people want all things all year, but i like looking forward to june strawberries, wintery stews etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

pwurple wrote: »
    OP, i know what you mean, it bugged me too.

All I can suggest is to eat with the seasons... Chives and coriander this time of year are either grown in some hydroponic floodlit environment, or flown thousands of miles. Neither of which give good flavour. Same for january tomatoes, or those turnips disguised as strawberries. Wait until they are in season and they will be much better quality, and local too.

The herbs i use this time of year are the hardy ones that have plenty of healthy tasty leaves in winter. Rosemary, thyme, bay and some bizaarly overwintering parsley.

I know people want all things all year, but i like looking forward to june strawberries, wintery stews etc.

Thanks pwurple, nice to know someone understands! I do eat with the seasons as you suggest wherever possible, that's because I grew up with that being the only way and the hardy herbs I also grow myself so have them to hand all the time. It's those odd occasions when I am cooking something that needs those other herbs that I feel we are being sold something that is not as good as it used to be, which shows they can do it so that's why I get angry about it. And I am only talking about probably 10 or so years ago when they were not bad at all.

Advertisement